Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nostradingus posted:

In wrestle logic, what's the rationale for a wrestler's theme music playing when they do an unexpected run-in? Do they inform the sound guy first, or are the wrestlers implanted with RFID chips that cue up their music when they enter?

I recall an interview with Konnan from the late 90's in one of the kayfabe wrestling magazines from the time. He said he would tip off a camera man so they could get the full run in on camera and get him more tv time. Still doesn't explain how the guys in the production truck would also know to cut to the entrance way the second he came running out, but at least kind of works as an answer if you don't think about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Unperson_47 posted:

Watching the Sammy vs. Miro match on Dynamite and Sammy hit like a Shooting Star Press off the top rope into a DDT, I think. (well, the possibility was there anyway, kind of) Has anyone done that before?

I think someone recently did an SSP into a cutter.

In this instance, it looked like Miro was supposed to catch Sammy and throw him, but surprisingly catching someone in the air doing an SSP is difficult and they over-rotated a bit.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Defenestrategy posted:

Should goldbergs original streak matches be considered good even though theyre a little less than 5 minutes including entrances and contain maybe three or four spots, but the crowd is white hot?

I don't know if I would consider Goldberg's streak matches good necessarily, but they have something that other poor workrate but still classic matches don't have. Two competent wrestlers on a random indy show could recreate Rock vs Hogan WM move for move with similar intensity. The crowd obviously wouldn't react anywhere near as big as the WM match since the two random guys don't have the star gravitas and years of fan investment as with Hogan and The Rock. The fans might even boo the match as, stripped of context, the moves themselves were nothing special.

Goldberg however did have a level of explosiveness and physical presence that is hard to replicate. Lots of big strong guys have had winning streaks full of boring squashes that didn't capture fans attention like Goldberg did. If you were at a WCW house show in 1997 and saw some massive, but unknown guy named Goldberg come out and completely destroy some jobber, you would at least be intrigued and want to know more about this guy.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sandman McMahon posted:

He’s a wwe wrestler who the last time I saw him he got his head spiked into his chest. It was gross!

Terribly irresponsible of WWE to put these untrained guys out on TV. They need to send these guys to a central place where they can improve their performance so they don't kill each other!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Remember when HHH wanted to be called "The Asskicker"

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Venomous posted:

on that note, I imagine that the cinderblock which Swerve stomped onto Keith Lee's chest both looked and actually was incredibly painful, unless it was some kind of gimmick cinderblock that cushioned a lot of the impact

I was more concerned Swerve was going to hurt himself with all his weight coming down stomping on a precious, crumbling landing spot.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I have it on good authority that wrestlers, including champions, should actually be constantly seeking advice from veterans. One veteran seemed pretty adamant about it, like really maybe a bit too much.

beepo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 17, 2024

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Yes

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

STAC Goat posted:

“The boom” isn’t the same as a creative peak of whatever. I’m 2001 I remember watching wrestling in the background with roommates and friends but it definitely felt like the overall interest and buzz was dying off. That has nothing to do with how good the particular stuff was. Just how much casual viewers were interested.
Once something gets really hot in a mainstream way, its business momentum can carrying on strong for a long while after "interest" starts waning. Most viewers are in the habit of watching their weekly wrasslin show or two and aren't going cold turkey because (in retrospect) the show or the fad had peaked. You have ahead of the curve people leaving but you also have behind the times people finally deciding to give the show a chance.

Particularly with younger folks online that didn't live through this period, it is obvious when they only gets their info from WWE programming or other summaries. Things get flattened out and muddled making it hard to extract any specific facts, and that is before WWE spins things to tell whatever narrative they want to tell at the time. It's funny when people take a vague sentiment but make it a specific, concrete thing. Did you guys know that the first hour of Nitro was all Cruiserweight matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hoss Corncave posted:

One of mine is ladder matches where wrestlers will run the ropes at full speed, then struggle to climb a ladder, then get knocked off and be moving at full speed again.

Wrestling is great because you can do almost anything, as long as you set it up reasonably. Most of these little things could be improved with about 30 seconds of planning.

If you have a bunch of rope running stuff you want to do in a ladder match, put it at the start. Trade some weapon shots to the legs mid match, and now you have a good reason why climbing the ladder may take some time near the finish. You can even save a 'run and do big a dive' or whatever for late in the match as the no sell spot to pop the crowd once the pace has started to slow.

I know everyone wants to get their poo poo in, and they can, but it's obvious if that is the only thing they've thought about.