Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Sad to see the legend of Arachnaman has been forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Watts’ top rope ban was the stupidest thing in the world and pissed off eight year old me quite a lot. I don’t understand how he didn’t see that people were paying money to see their favorites jump off the ropes! He was never destined to hold that job for long.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
TK is a hugger, not a fighter.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Simmons winning the title was incredible. The fans already liked him a lot and he slew the monster Vader. It was justice; it was history. But that was about it as far as highlights. I did get to see a really fun house show match between Ron and Rick Rude at the Sportatorium during this period though that was a cherished childhood memory.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

Who should they cast in the Terry Funk role?

Danhausen

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I’m pretty sure both Steve Austin and Taz had their necks broken by sit down piledrivers. Both were botched, however.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Haha more like #ASSLICKER (Vince’s)

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
A lot of us had different breaking points with the Fed. Mine was seeing the death of my fave, Eddie Guerrero, turned into an onscreen angle involving his wife. Then Benoit happened, Angle got fired because they were pretty sure he’d die, and I started to think more about the Fed’s responsibility in these things than about how awful Triple H was as the face of the company. I would try to force the feeling, but then Eugene would appear and I realized I loving hated WWE.

AEW got me back into wrestling after 20 years out. They’re not perfect but they have consistently great in-ring action and aspire to be part of a global pro-wrestling scene rather than destroy all other promotions. From all accounts the Fed is doing gigantic business and if people want to watch it, that’s none of my business. But there is nothing they could do to get me back after 25 years other than repudiate everything they’ve ever done and become a different company, which is an even stupider fantasy than fake fighting in underwear. I still have some fond memories from when I was young, but they are tainted.

Anyhow, the first AEW match that I saw which truly blew me away was Danielson/Hangman 2. That this bloody, incredible match was on TV and not PPV was unbelievable. I didn’t watch wrestling when Danielson was in the Fed, so it was quite the revelation. Be sure to check out his match with Kenny Omega and his matches against Hangman.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

That's fair, but she was fully on board with it and kept her family taken care of with it. I remember her last appearance they played the Eddie entrance tune and she did his shimmy before leaving. I wasn't a fan of Vickie's onscreen persona, but I was a little relieved by the conclusion that she at least seemed to be enjoying herself and hoped she made him proud, than just suffering whatever indignities she has to in order to keep the bereavement checks flowing.

I get that, and I don’t blame Vicki. Using Eddie as an angle has been defended by many, including Rey, Vicki, and Orton, as being “what Eddie would have wanted,” and they probably know better than me. But I was just really not ready for nor interested in that poo poo. Like, what kind of business loving does that?

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I watched Cactus Jack get powerbombed on the concrete by Vader, then he disappeared and came back as some amnesiac homeless guy and brother, let me tell you about the first of many breaking points with WCW...

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I remember absolutely knowing it was a boom period. Everyone knew who SCSA and Goldberg were, even non-fans. I also remember being surprised when it ended so quickly. I seem to recall ratings starting to crater well before WCW folded and it just never even came close to those highs even with a lot of the same stars on TV. The beginning of the end came way before the actual TV shows became as bad as they did.

I am also certain we are in a boom period again now because I am actually watching wrestling for the first time in 20 years

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t think it’s surprising the boom period ended quickly because that’s how big cultural media fads go. One minute X is the hottest thing in the world and then it’s over and everyone moves on to something else.

It’s not surprising in retrospect, certainly, but I remember Wrestlemania X-7 in particular being a hot show by any standard, possibly the hottest Wrestlemania ever. But even by then the “boom” had already ended if you look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I shouldn’t have said that the boom had ended by X-7. What I mean is that it had already crested. I did some Googling and there is some suggestion that it was the renaming, not the Invasion, that the Fed never truly came back from. The bloom came off the PPV rose first following X-7, but TV ratings sank below 4.0 after the renaming and stayed there.

There were still some high points with the Triple H return, Flair, and NWO coming in that kept hope alive they could turn it back around. But by the time Austin walked out in 2002 everyone had to admit they were spiraling.