Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just found out that the dude who played Luca Brasi in the Godfather was a wrestler (and possibly also a for real made man). Anyone know anything about him or his prograps career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe it's worked shoot-style matches a la UWFi or the like. So lots of grapplefucking and MMA-esque striking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

karmicknight posted:

This is a pretty accurate understanding. The Bloodsport shows started as basically an excuse to watch Matt Riddle shoot on Low-Ki, only when Low-Ki dropped out to prevent his own embarrassment Minoru Suzuki was brought in to complete the feel of the show as a love letter to the UWFi worked shoot-style. After Riddle got locked in the fed GCW tapped Josh Barnett as the go-to lover of both the English language and UWFi.

The ring does not have ropes and decisions are rendered only through submission or knockout.

It is pretty good stuff.

Also Low-Ki tried to get the promoter to pay him despite having dropped out of the show and presumably having to give MiSu a pretty hefty payday on short notice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifolC4Nt140

This is where I remember hearing them.

Literally 4 posts up, dude.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I recall his match with Taker at WM being surprisingly watchable for early in the Streak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's basically only 2 ways to really sell a hair vs hair stip for a heel. The Roberts/Angle 'it totally grew back see!" where they're bald for 7 times longer than it would really take for it to grow out. Or the Minoru Suzuki "here's your fuckin' hair shitlord now piss off" way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus it was the best reverse then full GTR combo I've ever seen Goto do. It literally looked like we witnessed a murder.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Weren't both the Angle and Big Show hair v hair matches just to cover up that they were going bald?

That is why you do a hair match, yes. Or if you're sick of having long hair at 40.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Hollywood Blonds becoming part of the Horsemen would've been a really smart way to keep the group relevant in the mid-90s and could've been used to springboard Austin and Pillman up the card... if Hogan, Dusty et al actually wanted to push new talent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ziggler's more because Nick Nemeth is like a cargo cult for Shawn Michaels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

No need to say such awful things about YTR's mother, Detective Phelps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cain Velasquez has a good shout as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Owens has a friendly relationship with Austin and has been wanting to use the stunner in WWE for a while before he started using it. Austin gave him his blessing as long as he did it right

I think he used to use it infrequently on the indies too although generally in the context of an obvious callback to Austin

It's also bizarre because everything about Becky's character and storyline screamed 'use stunner as finish' but then KO started doing it so she's doing a weird uranage and they're trying to make her into the Rock instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Goddamnit, that gif just made me laugh so hard I can't breathe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Incidentally, nothing makes it clearer that JR and Excalibur are calling that match in post than JR getting the name of that move correct.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, there is an element of self-awareness necessary if you're thinking about it for the purpose of learning your taste in a new hobby. Like, absolutely just watch a show and decide if you like it, but then maybe ask yourself what you liked ABOUT it, and why. Was it the presentation, was it a particular wrestler, or a certain kind of move or match, was it a promo... and then that can give you a grounding to explore more. But yes, it's similar to music or books or TV. Watch/read/listen to thing, figure out why you liked thing, ask people who know about thing if they can tell you where to find other things similar to thing you liked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone? Make them worse? I see it as someone is making money, not getting hurt and hopefully building a future so they dont have to tour the world when they are 70 years old and break their body for cheap pops and gifs

On top of everything people have said, it actually can make people worse. Lack of ring time and WWE's narrow view of what 'working properly' is being drummed into wrestlers who absolutely do not work that style can result in regression. Especially when resisting the indoctrination like Chris Hero or Buddy Murphy (or Seth Rollins) can get you a reputation as 'unteachable'.

And at the end of the day, wrestlers are performers. Ask any friend you have who's been in a band or done acting if they'd have been happy to sign a deal with a major label/studio to sit in a green room not performing. Sure, the money's nice, but never getting to do the thing you're good at can be incredibly demoralising. You see it with guys like EC3 and Mike Bennett.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's going on with ICW these days? i kept up with it and PROGRESS like three years ago when the scene was hot before the NXT UK deal. i remember hearing talk that they might have to shut down since lionheart died

Hastened the death of the UK indy scene so Mark Dallas could show his pals the 2 texts Triple H sent him 3 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vince has a very specific idea of what a good match is, so if that was what was on, I imagine he'd watch and enjoy. Vince Russo is the one I'm not sure actually likes wrestling as much as lovely bigoted melodrama.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

Sting got it from the inventor, Riki Choshu

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What caused the rift that resulted in Janela leaving CZW? Money?

I believe the promoter tried to hardball the talent into not working for other groups in the area, which includes GCW which Janela is heavily involved with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know if Brock would go to the other corner, simply because he's about as WWE a product as you're gonna get. Trained in OVW (which is basically a studio show) and then basically only WWE except for the cup of coffee in New Japan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
NJPW also put up a free match every week on Monday both on World and on their YouTube channel. It's usually a marquee match from a few years ago, so it's a good way to take the temperature of if the product is for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
2019 Tomohiro Ishii

This is also my answer to any 'who would you want to see wrestle X' fantasy question.

Yes, including when X = Ishii.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

They had a really good match at Rev Pro a couple of years ago

I know! I watched on New Japan World but it's not up anymore. It was so good despite them only doing lik 5 moves the whole match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Wade Keller ever been asked/addressed why the Torch is like the only dirtsheet/site that ignores anything outside North America unless they're basically forced to? Like Dave is always at least aware of Mexico and obvious keeps an eye on Japan even beyond NJPW, but even PWInsider the odd time I glance at it has results from New Japan or Triple A.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

I'm dying at that Michael Cole line about Malenko.

The truly bizarre thing is that it's from Chris Benoit vs The Great Sasuke of all things, as I recall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd argue late-era Mankind and regular Mick were basically the same as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Rapping Cena and Fruity Pebbles Cena were pretty much as distinct as Foley's gimmicks. They were all the same dude.

It's not like The Destroyer where he was WWA Champion as The Destroyer and AWA Champion as Dr. X and changed up everything he could about the way he wrestled so people wouldn't figure out the difference.

Honorable mention to IWGP champions Keiji Mutoh and The Great Muta (because I laugh every time they run the champion rollcall and count them as separate)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

So with most promos/interviews/etc. in WWE being pre-scripted, how much rehearsal time do the wrestlers have on average? Because some of the typical stiffness of them feels like "we barely had time to learn these lines", but also they probably are expected to stick to the exact wording as much as possible. And apart from maybe some of the "sets" I don't see a lot of places for prompters or whatever. And let's assume for the moment we're talking about an episode where Vince didn't rewrite everything fifteen minutes ahead of time.

Maybe a couple of hours, and during that you also need to go over your match if you're working that night.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Thank you friend, hopefully this will force him to actually learn their names rather than just shouting "Everyone's Dad" for Tully and "Everyone's Daddy" for Arn

...why would you want him to stop that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Impossible, that would involve Trump implying a non-white person is competent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I spent five minutes looking for that gif of Show shaking his fist in impotent, hilarious fury, and couldn't find it, as a result of that comparison

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I 100% promise you Finlay was not the one getting the win after LIJ was a thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And let you do stuff like 'wrestler will be fined $100 per punch thrown' so the crowd gets to pop when the babyface is so mad they willingly spend a bunch of money to beat up the heel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, I’ve only really gotten into wrestling hard with AEW (I previously watched the first two seasons of LU), and I’ve been listening to a shitlod of wrestling retrospective stuff at work to pass time. Which is, naturally, a very different perspective from having watched live.

And one of the big throughlines of all of this listening is “Man, gently caress Hulk Hogan.” Besides the fact that we now know he’s a lovely racist hotdog, it feels like there’s infinite stories of him being crap to work with and having an ego the size of the sun. So... how is it that he came to be the face of wrestling for ages? Was he actually really good in the ring? Sheer force of promos and personality? Extreme politicking? Was it just a completely different environment back then?

Basically the promos and charisma, plus being booked incredibly strongly. (partly due to the ego and politicking, partly because his overness dictated it)

Hogan was absolutely NOT a good worker. He could work a particular style of match and sometimes, when it was the right storyline, it could get over huge, but even the infamous 'he worked harder in New Japan' claims are exaggerating. He's fine, but unspectacular, mostly getting over because he shoot KO'ed Antonio Inoki on accident.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FunMerrania posted:

I remember Dreamer was doing them as his finisher while he was in the wwe.

This is a lie. You need to win matches for a move to be your finish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bryan is one of the people that's a big enough star that he'll have some leeway to improv.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A tiny handful get creative control over most of their promos, Bryan and I think Bray being the obvious ones

Cue flashback to Twitter morons and Vince (via Cole) ranting about Bryan's lack of charisma and promo ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Suzuki had Tanahashi in a kneebar for like 6 minutes when he won the IWGP IC title.