Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Was Summerslam the big circlejerk match those two had, or am I thinking of another match? I swear there was one him and HBK had around that time which was a total slog.

Summerslam 2002 was HBK's return and was pretty good IMO. Their Hell in a Cell match in Bad Blood 2004 was the one that felt like a slog.

E: remusclaw :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, JJ held his own in that match. Athletic enough to keep up with Shawn and had some great old-school heel tactics with the Roadie.

IIRC, that was also the PPV where 'With My Baby Tonight' was first performed. If Elias did something similar nowadays (angle-driven stage performance plus a barn-burner match), we'd probably be praising him big time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

WeeLC might be the gold standard for WWE comedy matches.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Critical posted:

I think some places actually used to throw money in the ring when a babyface was justified in breaking the rules but was issued a fine anyway. Then the wrestlers and ref got to split it all.

Are there any vids of this happening in the ring? A quick YT search came up empty.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bret spent what seemed like an eternity in Backlund's chickenwing before Owen threw in the towel during Survivor Series 94.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Waltman actually bigger than Michaels, especially in their prime? He was always thought of as the little guy of the group but I'm not so sure.

Nash has apparently insisted that Shawn was over 6 feet tall, possibly to justify his heightism for being a star, but nobody else seems to believe that.

As seen here, Waltman looks taller, but Shawn is definitely bulkier.

Latter-era Shawn was probably as skinny as Waltman.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Why didn't Ken Shamrock take off more in WWF? Everybody knows him and he certainly had presence as a character and in the ring He wouldn't have been top guy with Rock and Austin there but he wasn't even a main eventer or a sort of main eventer.

There's a reason why people don't really recall any memorable Shamrock promos.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

It was in the earliest days of Smackdown and is actually posted in full by WWE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUBu9Dl-x1A

The epitome of glorious clusterfuck right there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

oldpainless posted:

It does make me wonder why guys choose finishers that are gonna ruin their bodies.

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

How does one realize that can't do the SSP anymore? I imagine it involves falling directly on your head.

Or on someone's else's head.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yoshihiro Takayama might be the right answer here. I remember watching him stretch to step over the top rope in NOAH. He's also listed as 2cm shorter than JBL.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It was sillier than Jinder getting a sudden main event push years later.

I dunno, the premise that Jinder got his push because Vince felt he'd be the Mysterio for India is hard to beat in terms of silliness.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I liked Sid/Taker. It being the one true hoss off in 'Mania history probably helps, though.

I'd consider Taker-Batista to be a hoss-off as well, albeit a much better one.

What was the reason why Tatanka got replaced by Taker in the '93 Survivor Series match? Was Tatanka injured then?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Better than the cage match, maybe not quite as good as the WM match.

The Bret-Owen WM match suffers from playing an obvious second fiddle to the Bret-Lex-Yoko championship storyline, IMO. I appreciated the match for the great in-ring classic it was, but I didn't feel like it had anything really at stake.

The ladder match was a culmination of a long-running storyline between Shawn, Razor, and the Intercontinental belt/s, so the stakes were obvious right from the start and got me more invested in the outcome.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Red posted:

At the time, Owen had always been a really minor character up until the whole slow burn to a feud with Bret. The stakes being low, I think, I can agree with - because it was Bret dealing with a bad guy that he'd likely dispatch as he'd always done before. But Owen's shocking win created a new major player. Going in, it seems like a match Bret should win en route to getting the title back. Instead, it was him trying to overcome a big loss on the way to the main event. So, I think in watching the event, Bret/Owen likely means more, and carries more weight.

I'd agree with you that the match result would have likely meant more, if it weren't for the Bret-Yoko title match coming along later in the card. Knowing Bret was gonna wrestle again with the title on the line made the Owen match feel like a placeholder IMO.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

davidbix posted:

That was explicitly the storyline, though: That whoever lost the coin flip would be wrestling in the opener so that, in the interest of fairness to the coin flip winner and Yokozuna, he would also have gone through a match that night before his title shot. It also perfectly set up Owen as top contender and furthered the larger storyline in general because Bret "showed up" Owen's big win by the end of the night.

I'm not disagreeing with the overall and long-term story impact - my point was that in the context of considering which was the better WM10 match, the ladder match beats out Bret-Owen for me because the latter felt like it had less at stake. Like you said, it basically was there so that Bret would have a preliminary match and not have an unfair conditioning advantage for his title match. 'Gotta put him in a match' kinda leaves me underwhelmed and makes it harder for me to be invested in the match itself.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Red posted:

What do you think of the 2nd Shawn/Razor Ladder Match? I remember really loving it, possibly more than the first, and had a chance to rewatch it, after... 20 years? There's a lot more laying around and slow climbing, and double KO spots - and they don't work as well when Razor's been beating on Shawn for 10 minutes versus Razor getting hit with a desperation forearm. On the other hand, getting a sneak peek at a brutal Razor Ramon was just amazing. As a whole, I'm just not sure how to think about the match. I think it's still a very good match, but perhaps it's just a bit uneven, and it left us wanting a heel Razor.

The Summerslam ladder match was hamstrung by a mandate to avoid using the ladder as an obvious weapon, IIRC. If you compare the ladder spots from WM10 to this one, you'll notice that the spots from the orignal ladder match that had the ladder being wielded are gone in the second one.

Shawn's tantrum at the end didn't help things either.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Red posted:

Really? Can you link to more on this? I don't recall anyone being injured from the first.

Linking several articles below saying the same thing about no weapons allowed. As per the Rajah article wasn't so much due to injury fear but more a mandate fom Vince to tone down the violent visuals.

https://rajah.com/node/34029
https://www.goliath.com/sports/the-...dies%20instead.
https://www.wrestling20yrs.com/blog/how-shawn-michaels-and-razor-ramon-made-the-ladder-match

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That 'no hitting the face' match was better because of the stipulation, at least until the Sherri shenanigans happened.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What's the wrestling discord again? Just in case something happens to the forums.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's Lex Luger's best WWF match?

Going by star ratings, the highest-rated WWF match he was ever in was the 95 Rumble at 3.5 stars. After that, it's his Summerslam 93 countout win over Yoko at 2.75 stars.

...that's pretty loving dire.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

I need to see a clip of this.

IIRC, that was from the Taker-Yoko title match at the 94 Rumble. Yoko and the Headshrinkers (along with a gaggle of other heels) beat up Taker during the match and the trio gave him the taunt then.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

man i dunno what kind of dark arts Savage performed to get both of Warrior’s good matches out of him

Planned and rehearsed the gently caress out of it, probably.

E: Rewatched the first few minutes of that match, and I love that spot where Warrior catches Savage coming off the top, but instead of slamming him, puts him down and slaps him.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 28, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I remember reading somewhere that Misawa's elbow and Hogan's Axe Bomber got over as finishers in Japan because they legit knocked someone out in the ring. Are both of those stories true, and if so, can anyone point me to the match where they happened?

Are there other examples of moves getting over as finishers in puro due to a real KO or injury? I recall the Styles Clash being sold as death because it legit injured someone in Japan.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Didn't help that Vince was fixated on having a babyface champ and turned Nash after the backline Backlund match with no rhyme or reason.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

And then suplexing it.

He gave a shark an F5, you think he's gonna settle for just a suplex?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn pretty much tanked after that heel run as well. It just doesn't get mentioned as much.

The heel DX reunion was just wretched overall.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

collocation posted:

I got more out of it than X Factor, though.

Road Dogg & K-Kwik, Billy & Chuck and X-Factor were all equally poo poo IMO.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Artelier posted:

What are some fun signature spots?

At first YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN was a fun spot, then it got ruined because every single match he had HAD to have that spot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Dr. D should have been a huge star well into the early 90s, but was used and thrown under the bus by vince mcmahon, all because he was an extremely big moron dumbass.

Wasn't the Brawl for All in 1998?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

He's referring to David Schultz, not Dr. Death

:doh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, there's a difference between a guy setting his opponents up in a particular way to take his move and a guy with a counter-spot having his opponents do the move he counters every single match.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anyone give me an example of a "bad" top rope elbow? How do you do it wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU9gIX1yvk

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I swear I remember Edge & Christian having a finisher where they would do a superplex but Christian would be perched on Edge's shoulders, but I can't find a vid of them doing this move.

Am I remembering wrong, or did they really have that finisher before?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I remember Viscera's move being called a rolling coppo kick in the Smackdown games, and Liger having the same move.

That definitely ain't no spinning heel kick.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LionYeti posted:

The Rocks go home promo in Sacramento is a masterpiece. "The best part about being in Sacramento is that in about an hour and a half, the Rock is going to Leeeeeeeeeeeave Sacramento!"

Not to mention the song insulting Sacramento that was actually getting cheers until the final punchline.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TL posted:

I believe it was the Rock's grandmother, Lia Maivia. She ran the Hawaii promotion after Peter Maivia died, and apparently, Shawn was an rear end in a top hat to her at one point. Plus, if I remember correctly, he and Triple H pretty vocally buried Rock backstage during his Rocky Maivia days.

IIRC, Bret also kinda helped Rock out during his first year in the company and he naturally took Bret's side against Shawn in the chaos of mid to late 1997.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

This isn't a recreation of it, but that time Shawn said he invited Bret to come back and bury the hatchet, played his music, waited a few minutes, and then was like "lol pranked" was a nuclear heel move.

Shawn was actually cutting an anti-Hogan promo in Montreal, referenced Bret, and said he'd screw him again given the chance. Perfect timing for the music to hit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shawn's match with Owen prior to Wrestlemania in 1996 was pretty drat good, with the concussion storyline driving it.

Liger and Owen also had an NJPW barnburner in 1991.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I recall her mostly throwing forearms from the early days as HHH's bodyguard, which looked fine to me.

More US wrestlers should throw forearms/elbows/European uppercuts instead because their worked punches blow. I prefer the mindset in Japan were throwing a punch would elicit a gasp from the crowd because it was so rarely done and was against the rules.

E: Her highest-rated match is the Good Housekeeping match with JJ for the IC title, at 3.25 stars. That was basically a hardcore match and hid her limitations well.

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2021