Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The most consistently devastating move in professional wrestling is the low blow. Works regardless of who's using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

"wrestling cool" is whatever was cool 5-10 years before wrestling caught onto it.

This made me start thinking that maybe at least a part of "pro wrestling cool" is whatever your 5- to 12-year-old self would think is cool, and I am being serious and don't mean that as a bad thing. At its purest, when it's not trash carny garbage, there is a sweet innocence to pro wrestling

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I’m going to Kyoto and Osaka in mid January 2020 from the 13th to the 24th, is there any way to see if there are any pro wrestling shows happening in that area between those dates?

Check this out https://en.puwota.com/

Edit: Doesn't look like they have anything listed for January yet. Dunno when they'll start adding stuff

Edit2: Ah, it just didn't load. Well, there's not much there yet anyway. It's still a long way off so I'm sure there'll be something, looking at Januaries from past years

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 10, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Show the sea of people holding tiny EVIL scythes, Harold you coward

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Never forget that time he considered changing his name to "Fuckin' Jeff" on Wrestlesplania

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Does anyone have the excellent and incomprehensible "davebnmeltzer" post lying around somewhere? I can never find it when I want to read it :( I should probably save it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I got you fam

pro tip for finding it again in future google “daniel bryan “dean amanda” site:forums.somethingawful.com”

Hell yes, thank you :worship: My problem is I can kind of remember the post but recall the particular typos that would make it easy to search for wrong. "dean amanda" is a good keyword to remember.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I am glad sentiment on Big Show has changed around here.

It helps that he hasn't been on TV in ages

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm extremely fond of shirtless Jericho rambling on a random road in the middle of nowhere and cutting a promo on a tortoise. That one also got us "I'll see you on June 6 at Dominion... FUCKFACE!"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

What I have learned is that Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are both Regrettable.

Honestly, like 99.5% of old school wrestlers are/were awful garbage trash people. The amount of those has thankfully decreased in the modern times.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, fighting spirit is extremely important. The Japanese crowds will show their appreciation for a cheating rear end in a top hat who also displays fighting spirit. See: Suzuki, Taichi

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Wrestlers should always say the name of their finisher, and it should always, always be a pun on their own name.

This guy Gets pro wrestling :hai:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Should I watch NWA Powerrr?

It's a fun, compact show that looks and feels unlike anything else out there. The wrestling itself is mostly solid but not amazing, but they have some really excellent and charismatic talkers there and they let them improv pretty much everything as far as I've understood. Give the first episode a watch and see if you like it!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is it passé to get a poster for an event you never went to?

Who cares (and who cares if someone does care), if you like it, get it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

NWA Powerrr is pretty cool. Like, I don't know it's not a replacement for big arena type wrestling but it is a nice supplement. I can't imagine having NWA as the only show I'm watching but if you're following AEW and think like, what other show would I like to add to my wrestling menu I'd put NWA above all the other C tier leagues (ROH, Impact, MLW, probably more I'm not even remembering).

It being on YouTube really helps.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Remember that time Undertaker threw Shane off the HiaC and Michael Cole said "for the love of mankind" like he was reading it off a paper, which is, in fact, exactly what he was doing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One more post about closed-fist punched: Actual punches are REALLY loving BAD for you and a single good one can easily knock you out cold, break facial bones, cause permanent damage or, yes, even kill. This is obviously not optimal for pro wrestling where faking them would make the whole thing look (even more) ridiculous (than it is).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Suzuki had Tanahashi in a kneebar for like 6 minutes when he won the IWGP IC title.

I think you will find it was closer to 9999 years. At least it felt like it. (That match is honestly one of my favorite matches of all time)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

maybe jake hager or corey graves. jake's real name is donald hager by the way. don't know why they didn't go with that

They should call him "Donald Jr." that would be funny

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Even in WWE there are people who will have matches with zero planning. For instance the fantastic Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura NXT match was, as far as we know, called entirely on the fly.

Then there are people like Randy Savage who would insist on rehearsing his matches to absolute perfection, and if you saw his match at a house show and later on PPV, it would literally be the exact same match.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

What the gently caress is KJing

Karaoke host

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry I got another question.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but the flying elbow is apparently a very dangerous move and I recall hearing a big name really hurt somebody with it once. Was it Savage? I don't think it was Shawn and those are the only two I know of who used the top rope elbow. I just remember hearing somebody got something crushed or caved in. Not a whole lot go go on, sorry.

I mean anything can go wrong with a flying elbow but as far as I understand, the main problem is (at least in Savage's case) the flyer basically lands all of their mass on their own knee, which with time and hundreds of elbow drops wears it out horribly. Savage had some major knee issues. Some people seem to land it more on their hip which can't be healthy either.

I'm sure someone injured someone else doing it too, because it's wrestling and a big dude is landing on top of another from a considerable height

Let me know if I'm talking garbage

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I once listened to the German announce team and I remember the sounding a lot like German announcers calling football.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I imagine the difference is taking the impact on your own knees/hip/body vs actually having the other guy take the full brunt of the move

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Everyone should use the heart punch

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Or just the landings start to feel worse and worse over time. One day you'll be like "ok holy poo poo I'm not doing that anymore"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think that Extreme Rules match was the one where Big Show sold his nuts getting crushed on the turnbuckle for like three minutes straight

I do recall that match being much better than it had any business being.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Is that the one where Reigns failed hilariously at doing a rana?

Naw I believe that was a TV match. The Extreme Rules match was legit good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tenzan's skunk mullet is the worst thing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

But then you have even more eye-rolling cases, like Slick Johnson in TNA was an Evil Ref because he took sexual favours from Evil Women. Because it was TNA.

:stonkhat:

How did anyone take TNA seriously?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Son of Man posted:

No one ever did

I've heard enough about rabid TNA hardcore fans to know this isn't the case!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Q: is Marty Scurll taking the book at RoH the right move for him? The guy could go anywhere and do well. WWE would want him and pay him handsomely, AEW is his natutal home and would also pay him a bunch. Why is he sticking with Ring of Honor? Can he even book?

Word is 1) He doesn't have the book but will be working alongside Delirious. 2) The ROH offer was simply put the best he got. Main roster WWE money for ~40 dates a year, involved with booking (also probably creative control?), is free to work for other promotions.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think the implication is "more than NXT money"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

(Parts of?) next week's Dynamite happening on Jericho's boat got me thinking... Would any of this, you know, AEW and poo poo, be happening, at all or to this extent, if WWE had just approved NXT talent to appear on Jericho's first cruise like he wanted to?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It was one of the things that made Jericho go "yeah whatever, later Vince", and I don't think they'd have been able to get the TV deal or the viewership they have without Jericho. He's easily the biggest name they have

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah it's "Sports Bar Karate Chop"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Blampied repeatedly slid into the DMs of several women asking for nudes and generally being a creep. He then apologized and voluntarily disappeared for a few years. I guess he feels like he’s been in his self-imposed internet jail for long enough now :shrug:

He is a naturally charming guy with a knack for telling stories, be it summarizing someone’s career or fantasy booking an angle. So make of this all what you will, I’m sure you’ll come across him and his work if you follow even a couple of wrestling youtubers

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

They put the belt on Jinder with the expectation that they’d grab a huge new market in India and immediately afterwards their numbers there tanked and they scrapped the plan lol

I just love everything about how that poo poo went down and will use any opportunity to post about it. It’s why Jinder’s reign had to be immortalized in the champ poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Croc posted:

Apparently 20 x 20 for aew too.

The boat ring was noticeably smaller.

I always wonder how much it throws wrestlers off when they have a match in a ring that's smaller or bigger (or a different shape) than what they're accustomed to.