Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Kamala was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at 17.

How much does dis guy weigh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So, nowadays WWE tends to tape a lot of shows at once, to the point of exhaustion for some crowds. Was it always like that, especially in the Attitude era? Sunday Night Heat was live before any PPVs but what about Sundays when there wasn't a PPV? Same for Thunder, was it big enough for its own show or did they tape it before/after something?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God that schedule must have sucked for the crew. Spend hours after a late taping to take everything down, drive it to the next show, and put everything up again. And then the refs still have to work some matches!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can anyone truly be a SUPERstar if Tony Chimel hasn't cracked his voice announcing them?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is Kevin Nash's best match from a workrate point of view?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

You're talking about a man who did all the work in a five-man match, and only lost when he pinned himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxcnfgpaS0

Please, that was just a spot fest to get some out of towners over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I watched this with sound off at first and assumed someone had slowed the video down for effect. I guess grabbing someone's arm, putting your foot on their neck, and pulling hard would hurt. If you put any effort into it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcPwf_A6jk

Edit: Is that loving Lawler at 1:41 or just another lookalike?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtN4FXRdK8

You can also see Boogie Woogie Man in the background later on.

I like how the most technical wrestling move in his highlight reel is a lovely unsafe looking brainbuster. His favourite move seems to be an extremely lovely headlock punch, but my favourite is when he does a chest-high kick and appears to immediately grab his groin muscle in pain.

That lead me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBf0XVQ3dSo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

Jeff Jarrett as a midcard comedy heel was loving gold.

The skit in TNA where he beat up a children's MMA class to prove he could out wrestle Kurt Angle was damned funny.

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sometimes, wrestling is alright :unsmith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ernest Miller was in The Wrestler and damned if he wasn't good in that too.

Probably his best match, even.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wrestling is not much more than school drama but featuring adults.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

It's realistic for Flair to be a dad at 16 but I doubt they were going to try that at any point

gently caress realism, give me mid-90s Flair and Austin in his prime.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Flair ever refused to work with someone, or put them over? I know there was a small feud between him and Foley but they've since buried that hatchet.

After a match in TNA that should never have happened.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Probably fifteen years ago or whenever that cheer squad was around, my friend that still watched always told me about them, then later pointed out Ziggler, who used to be in the squad. Spirit Squad?

Anyway that was a million years ago and gently caress I feel old.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Minidust posted:

There was also the extra-polite variation with “don’t make me mad!” printed on the guitar :kiddo:

This looks like a N64 No Mercy character model with slightly more polygons.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mae Young wrestled in some ridiculous number of decades; not the most matches ever but every decade since like the 40s or something?

Also was Mae Young a gigantic piece of poo poo like Moolah? I've forgotten because there are so many of them in wrestling.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wrestling speculation was never as rampant and unsourced yet still passed around as a possibility as in the late 90s-early 2000s. One dude on a forum would post some nonsense theory of his as fact and it would somehow spread everywhere and be accepted as gospel

Hell it wasn’t til like 2009 I figured out that Raven and Stevie Richards were probably not actually in a gay S&M relationship in real life cause 12 year old me definitely believed that poo poo in 2000

This is probably just a result of the early days of the Internet explosion. I did a lot of DBZ web searching at the same time and it was filled with the same made up garbage. I remember someone doing a recap of an episode, translated by themselves from the original Japanese, where Goku yelled out "FUUUUUUUUUUCK" as Namek exploded.

Turns out it wasn't nearly as cool as that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ken Shamrock jobbing in 1988 blows my mind.

Also the Hardy's did mocap work for one or both of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

He got a "You can't wrestle" chant and singsonged back "I don't have to"

This, and that match he had with Kane where they both do mat wrestling and "classic" wrestling moves that I can never seem to find when I need it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvXFiDGQ0

JR: "I don't expect this to be a catch-as-catch-can classic, quite frankly"

Big Show corpsing at 2:42 :allears:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill to see the rumored Giant Moonsault In His Prime.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Austin and Jericho in the ring after the show goes off the air. Austin throws a beer to Jericho to tries to catch it behind his back all cool. He misses.

Jericho and Austin freeze, Austin staring at Jericho, Jericho looking like a deer in headlights.

Austin tosses him another beer, Jericho drops it and immediately throws a tantrum, knowing what's coming.

Austin calmly walks over and does a baby toss to Jericho, who has the look of someone that knows he hosed up and is accepting the condescension but is still mad about it.

Jericho drinks beer, eats Stunner. Absolute perfection.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Austin and Jericho in the ring after the show goes off the air. Austin throws a beer to Jericho to tries to catch it behind his back all cool. He misses.

Jericho and Austin freeze, Austin staring at Jericho, Jericho looking like a deer in headlights.

Austin tosses him another beer, Jericho drops it and immediately throws a tantrum, knowing what's coming.

Austin calmly walks over and does a baby toss to Jericho, who has the look of someone that knows he hosed up and is accepting the condescension but is still mad about it.

Jericho drinks beer, eats Stunner. Absolute perfection.

Quoting myself because I found the gif and it's even better.

https://i.imgur.com/5SYVnNS.mp4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the most unnecessary use of blading in a Ric Flair match and I'm going to assume it was TNA?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Brass knuckles usually mean the match is over

Were knucks involved in the infamous Raven/Jarrett TNA match?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It blows my mind that the NWA still exists as an entity and now has a TV show of some kind?

Not as much as the fact that TNA still exists.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hogan/Warrior but in TNA.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Cole was really good, strangely, when he was calling the Brock Lesnar vs Stephanie McMahon and Zach Gowen handicap match. Possibly because Vince was too busy whackin it to scream in his ear.

... I'm sorry, the what?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Spikegal posted:

It was a whole series of angles. In fact here's one where it's still going after Brock's face turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fO2NLaq6A

That sure is an over booked mess but I enjoyed it!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Man, WrestleMania 30 was the last time I was excited about wrestling and may be my favorite show ever. I don't even remember anything else besides the Daniel Bryan matches. Maybe the streak also broken that night?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

The Shield wore skull masks and killed road dogg

God yes, I remember the slow mo replay of Billy Gunn getting blasted in the face with something and he looks like he wants to die.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

spongeh posted:

It went on way too long and didn't have a satisfying conclusion, but individual bits like the Cole Mine was great.

This is basically it. The whole thing should've ended at WrestleMania. That show also had the godawful Cena/Rock (featuring The Miz) match that ended everything on a wet fart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

...why would you want him to stop that?

"I'm Spartacus" but "That's my dad" instead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Stallone put him over huge in Rocky III, as well - like, yeah, Stallone is short, but they make him look legitimately half of Hulk's size and he's in one of, if not the, most memorable moments of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqawQp2nsM

This is the best match Hogan's ever had and he had to do it while carrying a green as goose poo poo worker.

This Balboa guy is a bit of a mark but he's got potential.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Mankind also did that pulling piledriver fairly often.

And there's a Raw from early 98 where Vader performs the most wreckless and dangerous looking piledriver I've ever seen, on Kane.

This post tugged my memory so I went looking.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1010906916787249153?s=19

Jesus Christ, Vader. I have to wonder where communication broke down there. Clearly they both thought a different move was going to happen.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Schnappsshooter
The Patron Plunge
Anaconda Weiss
Brandy Bomb
Crossface Cognac

Honestly a lot of moves would also make good cocktails. Skull Crushing Finale, Stone Cold Stunner, Gutwrench Powerbomb..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Braun Strowman and that kid he "randomly" picked from the audience.

I'd like to see you tell Braun that wasn't a real team :colbert: