Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Gavok posted:

And you might ask yourself, "Who the gently caress hired Raven?"

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

SirDippingSauce posted:

Here's something I never quite understood that both AEW and WWE seem to require ther champions to do: lugging around the championship belt and being responsible for it. Like as bagge and luggage, and keeping it with them. It's an expensive item and forget about having too much beer at a steak house and leaving in your Uber or something like Jericho did, or instances where a WWE guy has left their championship somewhere... airlines screw up and lose luggage all the time. Even if it's just a replica title, and there is a special version of the belt to be used on TV... like, why require them to do this? Why not hold on to the replica not-as-good-for-tv title and only give or send it out with them if they know they're doing some kind of local media appearance or meet and greet or signing or something and then take it back when those are done.

Like if it's some kind of "prove you're responsible" act I can maybe see why WWE still does it. But why would AEW need to stick with that too?

having it be juggled through all stages of travel and packing/unpacking at shows would also not be a flawless process, when it could still be misplaced, damaged, etc.

add in the traditional chaos of branching road schedules in most big wrestling companies with more than one TV a week (and/or house shows), with plans randomly changing on a whim for any number of reasons, and it can easily make more sense to have the belt kept by the person who needs it to be there at every event they're at

like the example of checking the belt in and out with a wrestler based off of local appearances just adds an extra logistical headache alone, with a process of travel and production that's already a juggling act as it is

I know if I had to pick between traveling with this always needed (but cumbersome) item 24/7, or chasing it down every time I needed it, I'd just travel with the thing, and I suspect most anyone who's dealt with hectic travel would do the same to avoid that type of stress

at that point, why not just do it the old school way and expect that the wrestler is gonna take that belt seriously enough to be responsible for it, along with any hypothetical benefit that possessing the belt does make it easier for them to live that gimmick as the champ and enhance their performance/investment in that role

e: alternate solution is that Tony Khan should just hire a guy to do nothing but wear every single belt from one event to the next, Ultimo Dragon style

The337th fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 19, 2023

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress both of you for reminding me that's J-E-Double F...J-A-Double R-E-Double T

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

apophenium posted:

I share an account w my mom so I can pay for her hospital bills with said account if she becomes incapacitated.

I'm angrily eating a muffin while reading this post

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince in '97 was scared to death of losing Michaels to WCW, since he didn't know Michaels was going to get hurt and Austin was going to go nuclear and end his money woes.

As for the Hogan match, Michaels basically turned back face immediately after and everyone acted like it never happened and no rematches were ever teased.

No one's ever been able to explain Vince's soft spot for Michaels, outside of the WCW fears, and I'm not going to be that one.

None of this makes it less of a failure in leadership than Tony Khan also letting his big star have too much leash to escalate drama into a total disaster

Vince just had the extremely situational luck that the post Montreal disaster could be woven into business that was ready to boom

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think anyone is denying that. But the topic was Tony being handed things, like Vince wasn't also blessed. He got handed Steve Austin and The Rock. That's two ultra once-in-a-lifetime talents. Yet Austin was The Ringmaster and The Rock was Rocky "Die Rocky Die" Maivia. They loving wanted to call Stone Cold "Chilly McFreeze"!

Austin of course owes a lot of his success to Vince, just like Hogan did. But at the same time Vince was blessed with so many talents, many of which he purposefully sabotaged. Folks like Rey and RVD and Bryan got over despite Vince's best efforts to the contrary, and he made sure to kill them dead even when they got on top.

He's been handed so many gifts over the decades and many of them only bore fruit in spite of him, and he totally squandered others.

a very wise and sensible man once spoke publicly on this subject, noting how Vince made money in spite of himself and languished as a millionaire when he should have been a billionaire for all the advantages he had

wonder what ever happened to that guy

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

It's a lot like capitalism, very popular in the US and bad for your health

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sandman from ECW posted:

As mentioned earlier they didn’t even have to do it in Montreal, they could have done it before or even weeks after. There’s a lot of things that don’t add up.

Also it’s really cool that Bret spelled WCW backwards from his perspective so it would read correctly for the audience. Most people probably would have hosed that up in the heat of the moment. Unless it was something he had thought about before…

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

.eb lliw reve ereht tseb eht ,saw ereht tseb eht ,si ereht tseb ehT

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

YouTube is overflowing with 1 hour homemade documentaries these days, but is there any particularly standout one about the beginnings of AEW, the (short lived?) ratings war, etc?

It dawned on me that a lot of my disconnect with PSP/THH is how everybody has seemingly turned on WWE for alternatives for reasons, where I still sort of mentally exist in a WWE only bubble where alterantives don't exist. Outside of watching CM Punk's return match I have never really bothered with AEW, and that's because I completely fell out of wrestling in 2018. I've been trying to figure out where, and I think it was when WWE started doing publicity work for the Saudi government that I decided the habit I picked up in 1999 was over.

And that makes a lot of sense, because apparently AEW started about a year after that. So I figure starting with it's beginnings is a good way to catch up on what I've missed.

if you want a really well made documentary about a long term storyline that spanned the founding of AEW and beyond (and don't care about spoiling past major stories), this one is hard to beat

it does about as good a job as you could hope for with a story that spanned years and was told through a lot of slow burn TV and Vlog content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YJgm6Auz8

e; double recommends for the same channel, lol

too bad that person seemed to have been totally derailed after their Cody documentary premise didn't work out, even the teaser/opening they'd made for it was impressive

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 9, 2024

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mick's jokes about Al weren't demeaning enough

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

Which, speaking of AEW, what is the appeal of Adam Cole? I missed him on the indies, and his entire NXT run, so I feel like I am missing something about him.

If he's ever back in one piece, he'll probably make more sense once he can fully immerse into some heel work

I've never felt like his babyface presence carries as well for fans that don't already have a past connection to him

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Out of all the blatant Shawn Michaels inspiration, him being able to channel so much petulant prick energy on camera is probably the most impressive

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

At the latest GCW show in Detroit, Matt Cardona did a "Boo! Yeah!" spot using Danhausen and his action figures.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to be picturing here

were they both using action figures to hit each other?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Max Caster every time he holds a mic

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sandman from ECW posted:

This always drove me crazy

Who the hell is ever gonna put themself in that position? Whyyy???

yeah, the setup for the stomp takes way too long almost every time, it's really impractical to leave someone dangling then climb and position and jump

I think you'd need a window of like 3 seconds tops of a wrestler hanging on before it enters silly town and gets worse by the moment

at least the Swerve one has them sitting on the mat, but it still fails on ring positioning a lot

Swerve really needs a consistent setup move that stuns them while in the seated position to make the whole thing easier to sell

e; I really like to handwave a lot of this stuff with the old rule of the Irish Whip making no sense either, but it's tough when it's more recently innovated moves and you haven't just internalized them enough to protect your suspension of disbelief. I bet someone who was a little kid watching the Alberto stomps has a way easier time just accepting them nowadays

The337th fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 9, 2024

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yeah if I had watched zero Lucha Underground, like most people, I'd just see Penta doing that and go "ouch, nasty hyperextension there"

as someone who did watch a season of LU, I just went "oh yeah, it's obviously not an arm break now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

as far as pins go, I find it extremely tedious when announcers linger on pinning technique being the blame for someone kicking out at two

JR being the worst offender in recent years

much more so when it's framed as the wrestler just being forgetful or lazy with their pins, rather than at least selling it like someone's too exhausted or rushed for a proper pin