Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hi, I have a question.

During the late 90s boom period in the US, who were the top stars in Japan? Most people these days know (at least in name) Okada, Tanahashi, Naito etc. but as a new fan back then I was (and still am) clueless about what was going on in NJPW/AJPW... NOAH?

Also, a related question:

WCW had famously signed a large number of luchadors, so who would have been the top stars in Mexico at the time?

Full disclosure, I’m doing a thing in Fire Pro World, so this is seriously important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hey guys. Sup.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Mark Henry was always good.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is Jericho the G.O.A.T? He's wrestled for 30 years largely injury free, always entertaining to watch, has fantastic matches, reinvents himself, much better than his WWE peers (Punk, Edge, RVD, HHH, HBK) and likely has years ahead of him.

For me personally, is he one of the best? Absolutely. He’s at that elite level where, along with a handful of other guys, they are so loving good that saying one is better than the other comes down to personal preference more than anything. His resume and longevity are drat near impossible to beat.

And if some loser comes in here and tries to drop that poo poo where they say “Um, actually Hulk Hogan sold more tickets and more ppvs therefore he is the true G.O.A.T.” I am going to kick your rear end.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m gonna go ahead and put myself on the right side of history and say the true answer is Orange Cassidy.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

McDonalds sells the most cheeseburgers therefore they are the best at making cheeseburgers. I rest my case.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

karmicknight posted:

"I don't know anything about goats, I'm not a farmer. But Chris Jericho is the greatest of all time."

Why THE gently caress didn’t anyone mention this line in the This thread a couple days ago. That would have received some serious lol’s.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hirez posted:

has there been any wrestler that transformed gimmicks (including name more (and not just for a few weeks run or whatever), cause thats alot.

Brutus Beefcake has to be up there.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought you might have misspelled something or had a brief psychotic episode, but yeah no theres a Japanese indie called SEAdLINNNG, with that capitalization. Neat.

Honestly whatvdvabenmeltzter said about Dean Amanda's do flux every telling.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah back in 2007 myself and a few other influencers decided it would be funny if we pretended Scott Keith was right and Kurt Angle taught The Undertaker to work in 2006. Fooled a bunch of people for years but the scam kind of unraveled in the last two years.

I don’t think I’ve ever read a post that made me wanna give someone a wedgie and steal their lunch money as much as this one.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 4, 2020

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Thats ok, just don’t do it again. We’re counting on you MRT, be better.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Was it funny?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If a random guy on the roster, and only that guy, tell you you’re going to be on Letterman and your immediate reaction is to spend thousands on a suit and not... you know talk to the company first, well you’re dumb and that’s funny.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Red posted:

Here's the story from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0O6lZrRWs

Also - huh, it was supposed to be Leno, not Letterman.

Edit: I like that Ahmed shares Bret let him know Owen pranked people he likes. :)

https://youtu.be/VyyAirdLP_k?t=805: Here's one with Mark Henry, and they pranked his mom. Finding out Owen constantly fooled his dad sounds amazing.

Ok, I take it back, Ahmed isn’t dumb for falling for this prank. BUT he was laughing about it and saying how much he likes Owen, so I still say it was funny.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

A friend and myself submitted the name Debras Duo. Because she has two boobs, you see.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Didn’t Sid attack someone with a squeegee one time? For some reason I vaguely recall a story about Sid and a squeegee.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

He definitely had a muppet-like quality to him, a large muppet with large muscles.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked when he destroyed the Barber Shop with a chair and the first thing he did was hit a can of shaving cream and it exploded in his face.

I had never seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWZa8G2boSA

It is good.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’ve noticed for years that whenever they use Andre in the video games there’s a copyright/licensing thing about him at the start, anyone know what the story is on that?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I'd assume it's a condition of his family/estate who holds the licensing for his likeness. I guess WWE doesn't have exclusive rights to him. Example, the figure company Super7 is putting out their own Andre figure

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/110481

Whatever genius decided to put in a can of Canadian with him deserves a raise.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

All I want in the wrestling world is for Cage to do a Road Warriors/Sting/that other rear end in a top hat who wore face paint type gimmick. Gigantic steroid man in bright colours and face paint who can also do flips and throw guys around is very much my kind of poo poo.

Edit: And selling, none of that.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

An oldy, but a goody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZpz9G3Qxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLzFeOHtnM

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Stone Cold preferred vehicles with 4-wheels, so um actually, you’ll find they’re totally different gimmicks.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Shawn Michaels vs Triple H 1/2364

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Replace Bischoff with pilled up Shawn as the mouthpiece for the nWo in 98 and I am so loving in.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Insert a Name Here posted:

I have an answer to an age old wreslting question; why isnt NWA a large major promotion?

Well, here it is. NwA does "built to fold" promos for anything from 6 months to about 2 years. Sometimes it's a large independent get together, sometimes it's an all act based one(during CYBER SPACE almost everyone was an alien or robot*but a few folks wanted to focus on getting themselves started so just did tights and a t shirt) and it's the low rent king of leagues for it. If it's not an xtrme stunt based one, it's got National Wreslting Alliance written on the paperwork somewhere.

*or a conspiracy theorist whackjob alien robot.

What

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

i have a question, for the thread. how many wrestlers shaved their heads when they had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline? i thought of this after looking at the wrestling character beaver cleavage in the other thread. i can think of him and possibly danny basham but i don't have evidence of an 'after' photo on that. i am doing this for school

Jeff Jarrett had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline when he lost his hair vs hair match.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Not people related, but he tore the door of the cage that one time. And I saw a video of him folding a frying pan in half once, that was cool.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Honestly, I’m so desensitized these days that not even a Steiner Driver could get me off. Add in a 180 rotation and maybe a bit of a jump and now we’re talking.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

:sickos:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan from Summerslam... 2005? is absolutely legendary. Please watch that one.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I also heard some rumor drop that was some kind of contract negotiation tactic, make her look stupid on TV so she can't demand more money.

Years ago Mick Foley did one of his stand up shows here in Calgary and had Natalya as a surprise guest. At the end they did a q/a thing, so naturally I asked Nattie about the farting gimmick. I don’t really remember her response, mostly I just recall being really drunk and my girlfriend was not impressed.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

TL posted:

Didn't Vince once march out to the ring and bring whoever was wrestling to the back during a SmackDown taping because the match was so bad?

Not exactly the same, but I definitely saw Sin Cara and Heath Slater wrestle the same lovely match about three times in a row years ago. Recently I saw a Botchamania where Slater talks about it, turns out it was Vince stopping them in gorilla and sending them out to do it again.

Here’s a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNGbHuMfL4

Starts at about 11:20.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Critical posted:

all my agents are fuckin morons said the man who hires said morons

mick foley focused an entire gimmick around that spot and had people spitting on him so it absolutely works and vince is a disphit

It worked for Foley doing his thing in ecw in the 90’s so actually the proper response to a crowd chanting boring is to double down on the rest hold.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Crowd: What?!

Undertaker: Say what if you like sleeping with your sister.

Crowd: Wha-ohhhhh BOOOOOO

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jimmy and Jey Uso are twins, I’m told. As are the Dudley Boyz, but they’re not identical.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

As a young wrestling fan knowing Farooq only from his Nation/APA days, finding out he was a former WCW champ blew my mind.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Whenever I throw on an old Nitro or Thunder I’m always a little surprised by how much more I enjoy The Giant over Big Show. Like he just looked cooler, the hair + beard, the way he dressed, the way he carried himself. As soon he got to WWF they stripped most of that away, booked him like poo poo and then sent him to OVW when he didn’t get over.
Then now forever

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

They call it a moonsault because the first time it was attempted the performers shorts flew off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I assume it's because the rotation of a moonsault is the opposite direction of a somersault. 'Somer' is antiquated Middle English for summer, which implies a lot of sun. That's how it's always made sense in my head anyway.

No I’m pretty sure it’s because of butts.