Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok. Now I keep hearing that Maria and Mike Kanellis took Vince for a ride to the tune of 500k/year.
is that their combined contracts or each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I still think 'grift' is relative in this context if MRT stating that WWE only shared about 8% of it's profits with the workers (not even taking into account stuff like travel). More like 'they are making money closer to what they deserve relative to the success of the company' is accurate. (Which I think he based on the Observer...this is back during the big New York 64 podcast)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't remember Mick having a problem with any Maria.
I also don't know how many other Marias are in wrestling.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

shiksa posted:

lol what the gently caress is this, does this guy own this rinky dink company? thats the only thing that possibly makes sense.

That is exactly what is happening here.

Related: Is there a worse professional wrestler than Beau James? Dude makes Khali look like Vader.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only way in which JJ is worse than Beau James is scale.
And I say this as somebody who really, really is not a fan of Jarrett.

Also: I'm not sure it's actually possible to look worse in the ring than Beau James. I'm a 300 lb 40 year old man with a damaged motor due to multiple bouts of pneumonia as a child, Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis and absolutely no sort of wrestling experience whatsoever and I can say I could probably put on a better match than Beau James.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 20, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

Beau James is, objectively, a terrible wrestler. But somebody asked "Hey, does anybody have that video of that wrestling move Beau James did?" and someone else answered with a quickness.

I've never seen anyone display any curiosity about JJ's actual wrestling. Mongo was a more entertaining worker.

Being so terrible that people consider you a spectacle makes you the opposite of better than anybody.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 20, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Defiance Industries posted:

Wow HBK is an incredible wrestler to pull off a carry like that.

HBK wrestled other workers that year.
Those didn't get 4 snowflakes and change.

Oh, and Jarrett's WCW character was just the drizzling dogshits.
We talk about how the nWo was a bunch of 40 year old trying to be hip and cool and with it.
They succeeded.
Jarrett failed. He failed so goddamn hard. He failed at being cool and hip and with it almost as bad as Beau James failed to apply an armbar.
In hindsight all of his Slapnuts poo poo was top shelf "Hello fellow kids" bullshit.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 20, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Weren't both the Angle and Big Show hair v hair matches just to cover up that they were going bald?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

I hated it less than NECW.

Is this just because of the strike you got on your youtube.
Because NECW was bad, but SSW was utterly irredeemable.
Satan will have trouble fabricating a shittier wrestling show than that to torment me for all eternity when I inevitably go to hell.
There are backyard feds with better workers than SSW.
In fact I think every backyard fed has better workers than SSW.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Who was the most popular maskless luchadore ever?
Or luchadores if there isn't a clear consensus like El Santo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not really the guy either but I will at least give a TL:DR version so you arn't in the dark.

Sting and Luger are two performers whose careers seemed to intermingle endlessly, like Hogan and Savage or Cena and Orton. Sting and Luger were frequently shown as being best friends even though Luger was always a shifty rear end in a top hat who could turn heel at any second even as a face and Sting was a consummate goody-goody. It hit a head right before the NWO started with Sting and Luger being in a tag team where Luger would play the nice guy to Sting's face and immediately shift in heel mode whenever Sting turned his back. It is an almost 1:1 parallel between MJF and Cody.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Headcanon: MJF will never over the course of his career betray Cody.
Just because that NEVER happens in wrestling.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I sincerely doubt Cody wears face paint ever again

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How many times did Lawler wind up punching Bockwinkel in the match?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TriffTshngo posted:

I think you could easily rehab Braun at this point. They won't, obviously, but he hasn't quite hit Big Show or Kane levels of damaged yet.

They won't rehab Braun. They want him to be their new Big Show/Kane. As much as we grew to hate their niche they were both the booking equivalent of a USB cable. Plug em into anything and it worked, albeit not as well as we'd like. They miss that and they need that. Even booked well a monster can't be a monster forever.

My hot take is that Big Show was simply too versatile a character (if not a wrestler) to be pidgeonholed into the "monster" role.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This all having been said: If WWE still put out DVDs they would have a hell of a time filling out a 'Big Show's best matches' DVD.
I don't blame him though.
Hotter Take: Big Show had the potential to be an all time great if he were smaller and could go all-out during matches.
There's only so much you can do with your body when you're that big.
I mean the dude tried (this vid didn't show the 20 seconds it took show to get to the top rope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RTE6rE_Bg

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean WWE in 2019 is so dire I don’t even think you could accuse people of wearing rose tinted glasses if they said they preferred the endless pointless goofy angles Show was involved in

Monsters in WWE exist to be immediately vanquished.
Like Big Show in 2012 when he spent a month terrorizing everybody after turning heel at a PPV only to be defeated by John Cena the show after.
(To their credit I think it was Cena + 4 other guys for once, but he still lost)
Or you know...The Fiend.
Or Kane when he fought the Undertaker for the first time...and lost.

Oh but before we leave the Cena track. Hell if I'm watching WWE right now but I think I'd rather have Seth poopoo and peepee himself then the John Cena "HOW WILL HE OVERCOME THESE OD...oh he just did. Let me at least finish the drat question John"

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 18, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

jesus WEP posted:

He’s been waiting 13 years for the perfect moment to deploy the greatest idea he’s heard in his entire life

From out in the hallway you hear "MOTHERFUCKER WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT! GOD drat MOTHER FUCKER GET IT TOGETHER VINCE"
Then he walks back inside and says nothing else about it.
And never uses the gimmick because he can't handle it existing and not being his idea.
And then Heidenreich wrote poems. The end.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Scott Steiner. The perfect storm of 'ridiculously athletic' and 'ridiculously ridiculous'

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If I had to guess I'd say yes.
Funk has a...way with insults.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does AEW have conventional heel/face dynamics? The Inner Circle/MJF/probably Lucha Bros are heels but everybody else is on a sliding scale where their heelness is depending on the story they're telling, like Best Friends against SCU or the Bucks against Private Party.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not TNA, but the still from that Australian tour used in the Grantland article header is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling. Just a tired Ric Flair covered in blood gasping at a tired Hulk Hogan covered in blood.

Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life

Reminder that this was eight years ago before Flair married his fifth wife. Because he's totally fine.

This article seems to put all the blame of everything Flair went through on Flair.
Which given what we know about his relationship with WCW is probably not fair.

But even if you're being fair, Ric Flair is Peter Pan but this isn't Neverland.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Brock Lesnar. If the dude's neck wasn't thicker than his head he probably would have broken it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Arn't his old money neighbors dead by now?
Or is he getting shade thrown at him by their children?
I will at least take some small comfort in knowing that Old Money Senpai will never notice Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I also love (read: hate) that once you hit super rich status Toil Culture inverts.
You earned your money? Ewwwwwww.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vader vs Brian Danielson

Or really anybody who doesn't know the difference between a worked punch and a shoot punch vs Brian Danielson.
One big potato and suddenly he's signing his checks "Daniel Bryan"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Cole Mine just the worst goddamn thing.
You can't be having a heel doing their heel schtick for nearly every minute of a 3 hour weekly show

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

harperdc posted:

It’s almost unidentifiable as Cole commentary, it’s incredibly clear that Cole had to wake up that early to do the show from the East Coast but there was no way Vince was going to.

Are we positive Vince sleeps though?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jerusalem posted:

It's impossible :hai:

Cue Brock throwing Big Show around the way Big Show throws Rey around

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Over the course of their careers did Randy Savage EVER beat Hulk Hogan by pinfall?
Did Savage ever beat Hogan period?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I would be royally pitying Savage right now except for the whole 'chronic spousal abuse' thing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hulk Hogan losing a match by pinfall or submission is a holiday in some countries.
Mali celebrates 'Undertaker Day' every year on November 27th.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can't imagine a polygraph would work on Hogan very well since I don't think he so much 'lies' as 'has lost all grasp on reality'

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, this Juice Robinson fellow the boards wax poetic about was that hippie dude from nXt. (not Daniel Bryan, the other one)
People reinventing themselves after leaving that company is a trip.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan also did an amazing job playing to the crowd and selling his opponent's offense when it was 'convince the crowd the heel has his number' time.
He also came along exactly when Vince McMahon needed him to change the landscape of wrestling.
Although Hogan's 'brash, strong face who doesn't always play by the rules and isn't above beating the bad guys at their own game' schtick wasn't exactly groundbreaking (Lawler was doing the same thing in Memphis but he'd never have Hogan's genetic gifts) it still resonated with crowds that were starting to tire of playing nice.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I suddenly feel the need to watch 1989 Scott Steiner wrestle Ken Anderson.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Over the course of the attitude era there were at least half a dozen spinal fusion surgeries performed on top stars. Austin, Benoit, the entirety of team RECK (and also Test). It was becoming an epidemic so WWE decided to mostly nix any move that could create spinal compression.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Imagine Dragons is less 'bad' (they can actually be pretty decent) and more 'overexposed mediocrity masquerading as greatness'.
Like Nickelback before them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only casket match I know of that hasn't involved the Undertaker was Fenix/Mil Muertes from Lucha Underground.
...Holy poo poo Darby Allin could become the new casket match guy. He's already up to body bags.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only thing I understand about Nick Gage is that I do not understand Nick Gage. He may have one of the world's most fascinating minds.
Wait, I also understand that I find him scary as hell.