Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

Were the hardcore matches done by the old ECW ever as violent as CZW and their Tournament of Death?

And do we really need to start a new thread?

ECW rarely got into proper death match territory, just a lot of plunder and walk & brawls. There was the Taipei Death Match between Axl & Ian Rotten where they each had taped fists covered in broken glass. A handful of barbed wire matches, light tubes weren't really a thing until Big Japan later in the '90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody explain these stories in greater detail for me?

What was the deal with Suigi planting drugs on Io Shirai and her boyfriend (??) and how was AAA involved?

That was a simple one. The dude who was the Japanese liason for AAA had a grudge with Nosawa for some reason or other, he promised Sugi a contract extension if he planted the weed, and Shirai just happened to be travelling with Nosawa as they were in a relationship at the time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Also change his name from "Vampire Warrior" to something that sounds as good in English as "Vampiro Guerrero" does in Spanish.

Or just buy a permanent license for the Gangrel name from Paradox. There's no way they could be afraid you'll gently caress up their brand worse than the sack of assholes running it now.

I thought he did get the permanent use of Gangrel? I checked, he does: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-free-white-wolf-gangrel-now-owns-his-name

Anyway, I was wondering: Excluding AEW because it's still early doors yet, which wrestling company currently has the best tag team division? I'm thinking Dragon Gate but there's plenty stuff I'm less familiar with. Generally thinking a combination of ability of teams and the booking of said teams, so somewhere like New Japan where the tag team divisions barely count as after thoughts would be excluded.

On top of that, who is the consensus pick for best tag team in the world right now? Is it The Young Bucks? Lucha Bros? LAX? DoiYoshi? AXIZ? Fish & O'Reilly? Moustache Mountain? Best Friends?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Big Bidness posted:

The tiny towel experience is very underrated.

I really want a Suzukigun tiny towel. No, it has no practical use what so ever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So, nowadays WWE tends to tape a lot of shows at once, to the point of exhaustion for some crowds. Was it always like that, especially in the Attitude era? Sunday Night Heat was live before any PPVs but what about Sundays when there wasn't a PPV? Same for Thunder, was it big enough for its own show or did they tape it before/after something?

Thunder was shown live from its launch until October 2000 when they started taping it after Nitro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Maigius posted:

What was the deal with Dusty Rhodes in ECW? It seems like that would be a clash of styles.

On top of what others said, what you have to remember is that for all its edgy 90s presentation, ECW had quite a lot in similar with old territory wrestling. It was Memphis but in Philadelphia.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Dear god, these are all great! What's the source for them? I'm actually crying from laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifolC4Nt140

This is where I remember hearing them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Literally 4 posts up, dude.

Reading is hard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jarrett was above average during his later WWF years and into his WCW run. He did not deserve to be the WHC. But putting the IC title on him when he was in WWF was fine. IC title should be for better than average wrestlers.

His TNA run lmao though.

Edit: JJ is a "better than average" promo also. I say this, knowing that promos (at least during TNA) are like, bargain basement HHH rip offs from HHH's worst run, but I really think most guys suck at promos so even that puts him above most guys.

This forum is absurdly over-the-top in the Jarrett hate. Yes, Jeff Jarrett did some insufferable poo poo in his career, slapnuts was obnoxious, The Stroke was a lovely move, he was never meant to be a top guy in a national promotion. But as a midcard act Jeff was fine. There have absolutely been worse guys who've had runs on national TV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

I've never seen a Jeff Jarrett match :c00lbert:

Perfect time to change that, Meltzer gave JJ vs HBK at In Your House 2 ****1/2

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This is probably the best WWF match of '95.

Fake edit: except for Bret/Bulldog.

Certainly Dave had only 2 WWF matches over it that year, Bret & Bulldog at Season Beatings & Razor vs HBK at Summerslam in their other ladder match. It's been a couple years since I watched IYH2 but from my vague memories I'd rather watch HBK JJ again before HBK Razor '95.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Most of his midcard runs were really bad after he jumped to WCW the first time. His first WCW run was really boring, his WWF run floundered until he was in a decent tag team with Owen, then he only got over as a single with huge over the top misogyny. The matches weren't anything special. When he went from main eventer to upper midcarder in WCW his performances were even worse.

Yeah, he had a good run in the WWF in the mid 90s but that's really it.

Yeah, I'm not arguing Jeff Jarrett is my favourite wrestler, he's really not. I'm not sure if he had more than 1 actually good match in WCW (my recollection is there was definitely 1 with Benoit in probably '99 but I can't say for certain, and it's Benoit but still, Jeff was capable enough), he had a handful in TNA which were far outstripped by the nonsense. I haven't seen his much of his Memphis stuff but I know people who like USWA have positive things to say about his time there in the early 90s.

I'm really not the JJ defence squad, he's got far more bad than good but he shouldn't be getting mentioned in the same breath as complete hacks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Update/Clarification:

Diana Hart (Davey Boy Smith's ex-wife, Bret/Owen/etc.'s sister) wrote the book Under the Mat in 2002, which basically everyone else in the family claimed was full of lies up to and including having an intro written by the late Stu Hart that most of the family doesn't believe he wrote. This is the book that was pulled from the shelves and Diana apologized for it and etc.

Martha Hart (Owen's widow) wrote Broken Harts in 2004, which is also pretty tough on Davey Boy, Dynamite Kid, and the wrestling business in general, but didn't get pulled from the shelves and no one threatened to sue her over it.

I had these books/people/which one got pulled from the shelves mixed up too.

Also in a Roddy Piper/Jake Roberts podcast from 2015 they also seemed to imply that Matilda got injected with steroids:

The last time I looked the Diana book was uploaded to some random Facebook page and it is very out there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What is the worst match, in hindsight, to get five stars from Big Dave

Looking at a list of matches, there's definitely a couple I'd like to watch to see because they don't really sound like ***** matches.
Cactus Jack vs Eddie Gilbert from Tristate Wrestling Association's Summer Sizzler II.

There are also a couple of Terry Funk vs Eddie Gilbert from 92 & 93 that I'm highly sceptical about.

Not that Funk vs Gilbert in a Texas Death Match sounds at all bad, but a more different scene from Ospreay Takagi or Omega Okada is hard to imagine.

It's not that I think Gilbert is bad, he's a lot of fun but his stuff definitely works better in the context of a feud.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32UuXmV-JY

It's the same commercial where "KIMONA WANALEYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA"

That Filter song has aged alarmingly well. A shame that nothing else they did is remotely memorable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

To be fair Braun is a big stiff who doesn’t really have much business being over at all, except for a while he was given all these crazy backstage stunts to do and it got him over huge

Historically, being a big stiff has never really been a detriment to being over. You just have to book them more like Andre than like The Yetay

Which isn't to say "have him win lots of Battle Royals" obviously, it's not 1979. But just protect him more than they have. Accentuate strengths, hide weaknesses, it's meant to be Booking 101 and nothing kills a big stiff like lovely 50/50 booking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The best Big Show was when he was punching people in the face and teaming with Jericho.

The best Big Show was when he was doing monster truck sumo matches on the roof of Cobo Hall.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

Does it entertain you? That's really what it boils down to. If it's a chore to watch, if it just makes you angry (& not in the good way of OOOH THAT BASTARD I HATE WON BY CHEATING) or bored it's bad.

There's more to it of course, but as a first step that's really what's important. Once you find what you like them you can worry about botches & heat & if the booking is logical & the selling. Just watch something & see if it vibes with you. If it doesn't, try something different. Try AEW. Try Impact. Try New Japan. Try Dragon Gate. Try CMLL. Try AAA. Try Gatoh Move. Try GCW. Try old poo poo. There's so much out there from the past and from the current.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That is depressing.

Ah, I see you're understanding completely then. Because yes, it is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheCool69 posted:

I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone?

Part of it is "this sucks, I won't get to see my favourite dude wrestle anymore" because WWE is both horribly immoral and just doesn't make for good wrestling matches. They have a house style, some people clearly like it but I think it's boring, ludicrously samey and restricts a lot of guys from doing the poo poo that got them signed in the first place.

Personally I don't begrudge any wrestler for taking the money, it's a short career and the pay on the indies is not that good unless you're hustling insanely hard like Chris Hero did or The Young Bucks did. And to get the number of bookings they got in the varied places they got you've obviously got to get to a certain level of notoriety/fame. But I am sad as a fan of non-WWE wrestling when to me signing with WWE is basically the same as retiring, I'll see exactly as many matches. Especially when there are more options than in 15 years for wrestlers to go get paid outwith the WWE: AEW & New Japan being the big 2. Bryan Danielson is an all-time favourite of mine, he's amazing in the ring, terrific charisma, great at the little things, he's just great, but the last match of his I saw was Survivor Series last year against Brock Lesnar. Before that the last match of his I have a recollection watching was Wrestlemania XXX, 2014. It's a long loving time. And meanwhile I'm looking at a frankly not amazing wrestler in Jon Moxley having a hell of a time in the G1 & just wishing I could see The Best In The World against Tomohiro Ishii.

It's not that being in WWE lessens them as a talent, but it does put constraints on what they can show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Was it called a tombstone before undertaker did it? I always assumed the name related to his gimmick.

Far as I remember it was just an inverted piledriver. Except in Mexico, it was a Martinete and was a dastardly move to do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Diamond Cutter is called way more than the Ace Cutter, but what was it even called before it was the Ace Cutter? Just a Cutter?

I always think of it as an Ace Crusher purely because that's what Homicide called it, I assume from watching Johnny Ace in All Japan on tapes. And if that's good enough for Homicide it's good enough for me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Marek Brave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkRKy3Woms Warning, video has loud bad music.

Co-owner of Black & Brave Wrestling School with Seth Rollins.

Yeah, but look at the veteran smarts of Chuck Taylor jumping up off the table to keep the action going. A pro even over a decade ago.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That last one, holy poo poo how did he not die?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Forcing wrestlers still at their peak to retire so young is one of those attitudes I just fail to understand. Aja Kong is still active and cool for goodness sake!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Draxion posted:

zsj vs shane mcmahon

Zack would carry him to a passable match.

Brakkus vs The Great Khali, book it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hi, I have a question.

During the late 90s boom period in the US, who were the top stars in Japan? Most people these days know (at least in name) Okada, Tanahashi, Naito etc. but as a new fan back then I was (and still am) clueless about what was going on in NJPW/AJPW... NOAH?

Also, a related question:

WCW had famously signed a large number of luchadors, so who would have been the top stars in Mexico at the time?

Full disclosure, I’m doing a thing in Fire Pro World, so this is seriously important.

Firstly, NOAH didn't exist until the summer of 2000, and it split off from All Japan, taking almost all their wrestlers (Toshiaki Kawada & Masanobu Fuchi were the only Japanese ones to stay with All Japan post-split).

But yeah, if you take 1998 (since that's arguably the peak in the US) then All Japan is about The Four Pillars of Heaven: Mitsuhara Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue. Their big foreigners would be Stan Hansen & Vader (or if you go a little earlier it'd be Hansen & Dr Death Steve Williams). If you go to the next rung down there there's guys like Jun Akiyama, Gary Albright, Johnny Ace (yes, Road Warrior Animal's brother & once one half of the Dynamic Dudes in WCW) and maybe someone like Hiroshi Hase who was more of a part-timer.

New Japan is mostly about the Three Musketeers, Keiji Mutoh, Masahiro Chono & Shinya Hashimoto. Then there's the veterans like Tatsumi Fujnami, Riki Choshu & Antonio Inoki was still kind of occasionally around as he'd never really transitioned into the Baba style comedy multi-man role, when Inoki was around everything was about Inoki. Could probably throw Genichiro Tenryu in their too as he wasn't on every tour but he was a big name. And then there's Kensuke Sasaki who has an IWGP title reign in that period of the late 90s. As for foreigners it's thinners pickings. Scott Norton. Then some MMA guys. Don Frye was far better than he should have been for how little experience he had & he was a big enough deal to be the final opponent of Inoki. Plus the Juniors were a bigger deal in New Japan so you can throw in Liger, Ohtani, & Kanemoto.

As for top lucha guys, El Hijo del Santo, Shocker, Cien Caras, Negro Casas, Blue Panther, Blue Demon Jr, Octagon, Mascara Sagrada, Perro Aguayo Jr., Cibernetico, Canek.

Spot who took too long looking at the top names in CMLL & AAA & got beaten. It was me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, UD has a heck of a track record from CIMA to Taiji Ishimori.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the point of banning closed fists?

On top of everything else, most wrestlers worked punches look like absolute dogshit. Unlike a kick you can't just slap the thigh to make it sound big.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, this Juice Robinson fellow the boards wax poetic about was that hippie dude from nXt. (not Daniel Bryan, the other one)
People reinventing themselves after leaving that company is a trip.

Yes, Juice Robinson, amazingly charismatic and super over with the ladies, used to be CJ Parker in NXT and was a total afterthought.

The WWE system is really good at developing talent, as you can see.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the gently caress is Shorty G?

Formerly known as Chad Gable, one half of the long forgotten NXT tag team American Alpha.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

When did wrestling fans start repeating "one fall"?

Seems like I stepped away from watching indie wrestling around the time ROH went on HDNet and then came back 5 or 6 years later and you heard it a lot and it seemed a really odd thing to chant along with.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm not going to buy that "thinking Imagine Dragons is bad" is an outlier position.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Deftones are also garbage, so it's a wash

:corsair:

You've gone too far now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People keep telling me to hate Imagine Dragons, and near as I can tell, the only reason to do this is so you can feel cooler than somebody who likes a thing, which a stupid reason to do something.

It doesn't make sense to hate music anymore. Back in the day, if something you hated became popular, record labels would stop signing bands you liked and start chasing that trend, so if you didn't like Nu Metal or Rap Rock in the late 90s, you were hosed. There was only so much airtime on MTV. There was only so much shelf space at the Tower Records. There was only so much radio play. So while having a visceral hatred of a genre or band was still kinda' stupid, there was at least a case to be made for why.

Now? Nobody's making you listen to poo poo. You can listen to whatever you want. Bands don't need to be signed to be heard. There's no good reason to hate a band. Just don't listen to them if you don't enjoy them and stop being a loving child about it.

You can say exactly the same thing about wrestling. Having opinions and discussing them with other people with opinions is fun.

And to be clear, I wasn't in anyway saying "you should hate Imagine Dragons". I just disagreed with the notion that not liking them is an outlier position because as you noted, they are in that bracket with Nickelback of "default opinion is to dislike them".

As for "no one is making yourself listen to poo poo", I assure you that people working in retail still suffer from radio being on in store. Worked in offices that like having the radio on too.

When you feel passionately about any artform your probably going to have some strong negative opinions in there along with strong positive opinions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You absolutely can't, because wrestling is far more finite than music. There are only two North American companies of note right now.

It's 2019. Professional wrestling of every flavour from every continent is available at the click of a mouse button. And frankly it's a lot easier to avoid WWE than it is to avoid radio bands in a lot of lines of work.

Why limit yourself to just American wrestling? A whole world of wonderful varied fake fighting is not really any more difficult to find than using Bandcamp or Spotify or what have you. CMLL for classic lucha libre (several shows a week on YouTube), death matches, technical grapplefuck, crazy headdrop mania matches, and it's never been easier to view old stuff.

There are so many great tastes when it comes to wrestling if you just scratch the surface. Another thing comparable with music.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Also, I work in film a bit, but the way I've been paying my bills since 2003 is DJing, KJing, and being a master of ceremonies.

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine, but it does mean I get to speak to how loving stupid it is to hate things and people and bands needlessly with some degree of authority.

Which is very. It's very stupid.

Let people like things.

Not at all. I'm saying gatekeeping people's taste? Super bad. Stop it.

Saying "this band does not vibe with me at all" (which is what I mean when I say I hate a band, it's a common short hand phrase) is not gatekeeping. It's stating an opinion. I love music. I am insanely passionate about the poo poo I love and could talk your ears off for hours about my latest obsession.

On the flipside, I have a visceral reaction towards the music I do not like. I really really do not have the patience for hearing stuff I don't like. It's not a reflection on the artist themselves, I do not have any malice towards Chad Kroeger when I say I'd rather drink a gallon of bleach than listen to his band ever again. It's just hyperbole to get across the point that I have a very strong negative reaction while listening to Nickelback. Nor does it attempt to invalidate someone else who happens to like Nickelback. It's my opinion. My experience with their songs. Me talking about them isn't attempting to invalidate your opinion, even if I'm using strong language.

Like what you like, in wrestling, music, film, paintings, video games, literature. Talking about your likes and dislikes with art isn't gatekeeping, it's sharing your opinions of something you care deeply about. This is the opposite of gatekeeping!

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

When was the last exploding ring death match we got?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

He sits in a dark room and gets mad about people knocking on his door. He had a squash simulated combat on Raw last Monday and I think is supposed to sports entertain against Buddy Murphy at TLC.

He gets mad because when they knock he has to open the door and it creaks really loudly when he does open it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Has there ever been a singles match between Daisuke Sekimoto and TOMO Ishii?