Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You should not believe Paul Heyman, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

I remember Paul E saying he wanted Misawa/Kobashi for that Heatwave '98 tag vs. Sabu/RVD, and hooooo boy that would have been a different match.

I remember Paul Heyman picking up the phone pretending to be his room-mate, in case anyone was calling him chasing money.

Honestly, any of the Between The Sheets Patreon specials on ECW inevitably end up full of amazing Paul bullshittery, either to the sheets, to his own wrestlers, to TV partners, or anyone else with a pulse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wasn't there also a story that he lost his job in charge of Smackdown earlier in the decade because he was listening into Raw conference calls that he wasn't meant to be on or something equally dumb?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Grey posted:

That part that I never understood... What's the problem with the Smackdown booker listening in on a Raw booking meeting?

It's a company run by a psychopath and fail children, probably explains it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

STING 64 posted:

How many world championships have been won by shoot brothers?

Matt & Jeff Hardy both held the TNA World title.
Kevin & Kerry Von Erich both held the WCWA World Heavyweight in World Class. Mike & Fritz both held it before it was made a World title in '86 (if Wikipedia is right)
Obviously Dory Jr & Terry Funk both held the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Title.
WWC Universal Heavyweight title in Puerto Rico was held by both Carly & Eddie Colon, plus by their father Carlos & their cousin Orlando
Jay & Mark Briscoe have both held the ROH World Title
Justice Pain & Nick Gage both held the CZW World Heavyweight Title.
I'm sure there's a lot in Mexico, Mil Mascaras & Dos Caras both held the WWA World Heavyweight Title. I'm assuming at least 2 of Los Hermanos Dinamita held world titles at some point but haven't checked.

Obviously there's not so many in the US in the territorial days because there weren't many World titles. And I can't think of many Japanese wrestling siblings off the top of my head. There's the Brahman Brothers & Saito Brothers, & there's Io & Mio Shirai, but don't think any of them have held the top title anywhere. And Stardom has the 3 sisters Hanan, Hina & Rina but they are all too young to be near the top belt there.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 6, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I think my breaking point was when they botched the gently caress out of the nexus. It was the first cool thing to happen in a very long time and it made a lot of sense, and when they hosed that up was when I realized that even with wwe handed a reall cool opportunity theyd ruin it for no reason.

Made me try to think of what my breaking point was. And I really don't think it was any one thing. I mean I'd bounced on & off WWE watching for years at a time from the end of the Attitude Era. I know the start of Raw going to 3 hours was definitely a break point, but then I came back when Danielson was feuding with the Wyatt Family leading into the Mania he headlined. And then they put him in another feud with Kane & then he got hurt & I just lost interested. I kept watching NXT for a while longer, I think the Takeover where Nakamura debuted vs Zayn was the last I watched regularly.

The thing is, it's a lot harder to commit to a OK 3 hour show than a mediocre 1 hour one. ECW & NXT weren't always particularly good, but I could wake up before work having downloaded last night's episode & watch it over breakfast & while getting ready. Where as 3 hours, well, it's 3 hours. But also my tastes have changed & I'm a lot less into promos than I once was, unless a promo is particularly standout.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

HHH's reign of terror also did me in, as well. By the summer of 2003, maybe fall, I stopped watching regularly.

I would watch here and there, but AEW was the product that brought me back in late 2020. While I hear big things are happening in the WWE, I have no interest in watching it. AEW isn't perfect, but I still enjoy it.

Which, speaking of AEW, what is the appeal of Adam Cole? I missed him on the indies, and his entire NXT run, so I feel like I am missing something about him.

Saying ADAM COLE BAY BAY. Wrestling fans love repeating things

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There actually is someone who has posted about it in the Women's Wrestling thread a couple of times I think

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

I'm trying to watch some old PWG stuff and Excalibur and Disco Machine are doing commentary and it is incredibly out of pocket. Was this pretty common for indy promotions in the early/mid 2000s? I'm hoping they'll chill out a bit as I keep watching. An unfortunate factor of the time I guess.

edgy humour was the thing at the time. A lot of us had yet to notice that a lot of folk were using that edginess as cover for genuine racism and bigotry. Disco and Excalibur were probably among the worst for Mexican jokes, but early ROH has insane misogyny and a good deal of homophobia too. it's all aged like bread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

the very first match iirc

Oh yes, they really started off with a bang. Though that was far from the only one, the early shows with Steve Corino & either Eric Gargulo or Donnie B were wretched. Gabe would get so horny for any woman on the screen. Or at least his commentary alter-ego Chris Lovey, but that's still the boss.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

The FTC just approved a ban on noncompete clauses in the US. I wonder if this will have any impact on wrestling companies, or if they’ll continue to skate by on the “independent contractor” line?

https://x.com/erikmagraken/status/1782891282634846285

As others have said it depends on if as suspected people are just given 90 days notice and then aren't used, or if they actually have a non-compete, but theoretically it looks like if the latter then it should be banned. Big if though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You'd think so, although challenging that would risk, best case, burning your bridges with WWE or even a long, drawn out and extortionate legal battle which a billion dollar company has a much better chance of enduring than a single wrestler

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there a concise, exemplary, standard wrestling match to show to a non-fan in order to demonstrate to them the gist of this poo poo?

No.

This answer sucks but it's what it is. It depends massively on the person. Are they a child? Do they at least have some passing familiarity with the medium or are they totally new? What other poo poo are they into? Do they have the attention span of a gnat? Are they a horror film sicko or does the sight of blood make them queasy?

Like, obviously Omega Okada 1 is an awesome match but telling someone to spend 45 minutes on a match is just going to put a lot of people off. Ditto El Desperado vs Jun Kasai, deathmatches are loving dope as far as I'm concerned and this is near the top of the style but some people will see it and freak out. By the same token, showing someone a TV wrestling match, like some dope WCW lucha sprint, could work but they could also be put off by the commentators completely ignoring the action & insisting on talking about Hulk Hogan. One of my all-time favourite wrestling matches is Kobashi vs Sasaki from the NOAH Tokyo Dome show, where they just chop each other for eternity. I think that's absolutely captivating poo poo but I've watched it around others who aren't familiar with the artform & are just like "why is he letting him hit him? I'd defend myself" & just get totally taken out of it. I'd never recommend Hulk Hogan vs Andre from WM3 but clearly someone must've been brought into wrestling by it.

Bix is basically right. If you can get them to check a live show out, do that, be it a WWE house show or the local indy. If you can't, don't necessarily worry about showing them something from the past. Find something from this year, ideally something under 20 minutes so they don't feel like they are wasting their time. Or just invite them around when you're buying a Pay Per View & watch the whole show together with a pizza & some beers or whatever. Show them Ospreay vs Takeshita or something from CMLL like Mascara Dorada vs Templario or Barbaro Cavernario. Show them Fuminori Abe vs Hikaru Sato battering the ever loving poo poo out of each other for 18 minutes in front of a few hundred people. Or Sareee & Chihiro Hashimoto launching each other around the ring.

I'm poo poo at being concise, but wrestling is way too broad to just have one match that showcases it. Some wretched WWE slop is as valid as 2 guys forgetting that wrestling is a work or 6 guys doing all sorts of insane gymnastics onto one another or people rolling around on a board covered in razorblades.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sandman from ECW posted:

My wrestling pet peeve is when wrestlers clearly screw up a spot and then reset and just do the spot/sequence over again. You hosed up, it sucks, I’m sure the spot would have been really cool, but you gotta let it go. Re-doing the spot takes me out of the match every time

Yes, the correct thing to do is what someone like Arn Anderson would do. You hosed up a spot? Your opponent punches you in the face. Make you can try again in a minute or two but for now, eat a fist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sandman from ECW posted:

Hello Wrestling Question Thread friends, I have a question

A while back I watched an insane Japanese match on YouTube that had a ton of people in it and most of them were dressed up like random characters, I remember there being a C-3P0 and an R2-D2 for example, and also there was these two bald guys who I think were twins who did a bunch of hosed up poo poo. I don't remember. Anyway, I wanna put it on the tv at the comic store because I think that would be funny but my google skills are not up to the task. What the hell am I thinking of?? Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure someone put themselves in a barrel and then did a dive onto a bunch of people on the outside and it was really cool. Hope this helps.

Hell that is one of the Great Space Wars that Michinoku Pro do every December.

Great Space War 10 was the one with R2D2 & 3PO. And also Taro Nohashi as Yoda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV4KGmdooM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also have to say that the one from 2012 (Great Space War Vol.7) has an absolutely phenomenal thumbnail of Daisuke Sekimoto as the Incredible Hulk. And I've just noticed an incredibly low budget Iron Man in the background too.