Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jerusalem posted:

I think a writer pitched that the guy who eventually became Heidenreich would be a frozen Nazi from World War II who gets unfrozen and decided to become a wrestler.

Heidenreich was weird because of all that worked stuff where he attacked a kid as a heel, then becoming friendly to them after turning face. He was kind of funny after the latter (or maybe it's my teenage nostalgia).

Could anyone tell me more about Bob Sapp? I understand that he became quite popular in Japan... was he legit good? He mostly looked goofy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What exactly makes a squash match? Is the pre-bell ring time counted? I once watched a match where the heel beat the face down for 15 minutes before the match bell, then it was over in 15 seconds. Is that still counted?

In light of that, what are the highest-rated squash matches of all time according to Big Dave?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are the best heel promos of all time? (No slurs)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I asked because I'm writing a wrestling story that follows kayfabe and it involves the main character busting out a never-before seen move which I have to name for maximum impact, so I'm going to just let them yell it out loud.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the discussion. I had always thought the Tombstone was a Taker original. It's so iconic that they just call it that now. It's also fun to reverse-engineer what finishers actually are because I learn new poo poo like modified reverse crossbody grapplefuck or something.

Okay, so a new question. Has anyone tried to make a wrestling promotion simulator? Like you're an indie trying to get a TV deal without getting gobbled up by the fed, something like that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So did Sting base his gimmick around the Scorpion Deathlock or did it just fall into place? It also refers to a scorpion in the original Japanese name of the move.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I really don't know where to put this but this seems to be the best place for it (I'd put this in the best/worst matches thread but it isn't exactly talking about an actual match), but does anyone use the GRAPPL app? I like the concept of listing and rating the matches you've seen but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (can't search matches very well, have to trawl down a list of shows per promotion, etc). Are there any good alternatives?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the best WWE game, gameplay-wise? I remember going through several iterations of Smackdown vs RAW and I thought 2006 was the most solid? I made The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy as a heel CAW there

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses to my game question, everyone!

Here's another:

Recently Emi Sakura and Jericho talked about sharing a mentor in Kodo Fuyuki. It got me interested in looking up who trained who, which often comes up in NJPW English commentary. Who are the most prolific (and successful) trainers in pro-wrestling, east and west?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

On top of everything else, most wrestlers worked punches look like absolute dogshit. Unlike a kick you can't just slap the thigh to make it sound big.

I think Juice's Left Hand of God is super snappy

Also the no closed-fist punches rule gives us infinite elbow/forearm combos and those rule forever

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TriffTshngo posted:

Flying Headbutt is probably the most notorious. It never ever looks like it hurts the other guy nearly enough to be worth how much it looks like (and actually does) hurt the person performing it, and the 3 guys most associated with it were Dynamite Kid (horribly crippled), Daniel Bryan (forced into temporary retirement and only wrestles on the condition he get a full examination after every match), and Chris Benoit.

Flying Headbutt is incredibly underwhelming to me so yeah. Could literally do anything else on the top rope and it would look better.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is the most babyface thing a career heel has done, shoot-wise? It can be outside the industry. I keep thinking about My Dad is a Heel Wrestler lately.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ok the Bam-Bam and Saturn stories were really sad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Pollyanna posted:

Do independent wrestling promotions also scope out storylines and plan matches and stuff? I feel like that would be harder when you are dependent on random indie wrestlers who may or may not be available. Are those matches real?

PWR did a year-long story that was based on the silliest in-joke.

In the pre-show, there is a masked jobber stable named El Consejo de Trabajadores (basically, The Council of Jobbers) who is led by Trabajador Supremo, a wheelchair-bound fat man with mic skills suspiciously similar to a main roster member (spoiler: they're the same person). They claim to "work in the shadows so that those in the light may shine" so you know what they're going for. But there was this Trabajador who dared to win: Quatro. After showing some incredible skills and almost winning his match, Supremo punished him for daring to step into the light by having the rest of the Trabajadors beat him down.

But Trabajador Quatro started to win his pre-show matches. He was just drat good (he has a slick Destino as his finisher). So Supremo decides to personally face him at the promotion's biggest show of the year, (where the light is strongest, casting the deepest shadows), granting him the power to walk and wrestle. In that match, Supremo's might was almost too much for Quatro, who was unmasked, but he managed to scrape a win. After the match, Supremo proclaimed him to be The Lightbringer, The One Destined to Shine, and he graduated to the main show, eventually becoming champion a year later.

One of the most satisfying storylines I've seen, and it was told entirely over the pre-show of an indie promotion!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Was Val Venis over in the WWF/E? What was the height of his career?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've always assumed the Intercontinental title to mean that the holder is recognized across all continents as a champion of international worth, but not as prestigious as the World title

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Intercontinental controls land. The world title controls all oceans (obviously...the oceans bigger).

I'd like to see Aquaman and Namor challenge for the world titles

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Red Shoes and Marty Asami, heck even that new ref (who botched one of the counts in the WK14 tag gauntlet) is okay

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MassRafTer posted:

AJ would get brief main event runs and then immediately be shuffled down for the real stars after a month or two. The real stars being Jeff Jarrett mostly but at least by 2007 he was being made a mid card geek for someone like Christian who was actually entertaining.

The only memorable TNA promo I saw was Hogan talking to reporters backstage then Jarrett assaulted him with a guitar, laying out on the floor and leaving. Hogan groans in pain, cut.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Those punches looked crisp and stiff to me.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I love cannonballs!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm sure there are many, but which wrestlers came from a theater acting background?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

IceAgeComing posted:

Hikaru Shida came from an acting background but I don't think it was theatre acting (the story with her was that she was in a TV series called Muscle Venus with the cast of that basically forming an idol group from it; then they collectively got cast in a film about pro wrestling and all got pro wrestling training in the Ice Ribbon dojo with Shida, Tsukasa Fujimoto and Miyako Matsumoto discovering that they really liked wrestling so stuck with it afterwards) but she later formed MAKAI which is sort of a fusion of theatre acting and pro wrestling; not entirely sure how exactly to describe it.

This sounds like the coolest thing ever

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What were famous/infamous instances wherein people (especially those involved in the industry) got worked into a shoot?

Just to share my own experience, there was an audience member in a local indie show that tried to climb the ring when a beloved babyface turned heel and cut a scathing promo. Fortunately he was stopped.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Jay White made Josh Barnett so angry he jumped from commentary and chased Jay.

https://twitter.com/AXSTV/status/1015796124509089792?s=09

Is this absolutely a shoot? I thought it was disputed as a work

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any children of wrestlers who found notable success in fields that aren't adjacent to wrestling or even sports?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched a video explaining pro-wrestling to people who don't understand it. It cited the Curtain Call as an example. I do know Triple H's "The Game" promo was a worked shoot, but the event it referenced was a shoot, right? I just can't fathom how it could have happened otherwise.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Jericho has never been seriously injured throughout is career. Is there a logical explanation for this, or was he just extremely lucky?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It came up lately about the recent NTX Takeover, but what does it mean for a match to be "overbooked" and "overwritten"?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I Before E posted:

All the 4.75 matches between Do Fixer/Blood Generation and Cena/Punk:

15.07.2007 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji

Okay this sounds dope

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wow, what an explosive final stretch. KENTA could really go back in the day.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Didn't the Golden Elite merch rumors come from Chase Owens allegedly, who seemed to have genuinely befriended Ibushi? I really wish their match in New Beginning USA had pushed through...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Did Goldberg really end Bret's career on purpose, or did he just stiff him so hard that it was enough to put him away for good?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

jesus WEP posted:

Neither.

He accidentally gave Bret a concussion. It was the follow-up concussions in the matches Bret was made to work post-Starrcade that really ended his career

I read Bret's take that he begged Goldberg backstage not to hit him really hard, and he did anyway, but that's one side of the story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How mainstream or popular is puro in Japan, compared to say American wrestling in the US? Has it faded from significance, or is it still going strong? I'm talking about general name recall and all, if the average Japanese person knows who Okada or Tanahashi are.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How physically-demanding and well-paying is NFL anyway compared to, say, WWE? I'm Filipino so I've never seen an American football game (we very much prefer the NBA)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Maybe you meant Juice Robinson (checking his wikipedia page, he seemed to have graduated without doing an excursion)

Also lmao at him being the first American to win the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

The Cameo posted:

New Japan does not have the best history with their crowds throwing things in the ring.

Throwing your cushions in the air following the first G1 Climax final: good!

Lighting your cushion on fire and throwing it at the ring because you’re drunk, got a rip-off main event and then Takeshi Kitano brought out Big Van Vader in his debut and had him beat the poo poo out of Inoki: very, very bad! Like lose your prime time TV slot and be banned from Sumo Hall bad!

After that incident they pretty much went “so uh no fan is ever allowed to throw anything into the ring ever again, we will shoot streamers ourselves for celebrations”

the first G1 Climax final was Mutoh vs Chono, right? That was really good!

was Big Van Vader the first "monster heel squashes the ace" angle New Japan did, which warranted such a reaction?