Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm rather fond of both of Christian's WWE ECW Championship runs but especially the second. Nthing OC's International run - the story has been incredible. And I was heavy into The New Day's tag title run where they broke the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Dante was also in the PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe, and Alastor is a giant DMC reference and has a Devil Trigger move in his boss fight.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm a Corbin apologist. I think he's a nice guy, a solid wrestler, thought the Sad Boy Corbin gimmick, King Corbin gimmick, and his NXT run first as the saddest monster in wrestling and then as a shithead Indy killer were both extremely funny. Happy Corbin was one of the first things I saw when I peeked my head back into wrestling during one of the Survivor Series shows and the theme cracked me up. Dude has a lot of goofy charisma and feels like he at least tries to put everything he can into whatever he's given...

...But he was absolutely over pushed, made to retire Kurt Angle for no reason, constantly got the weird "upper midcard but we won't commit to a main event push" thing that WWE does that ended up making him just look like a geed, and when he finally started getting over it's my understanding that most people are not like I was when it came to Happy Corbin. The dude is also just serviceable in the ring which is at odds to everything they tried to do with him. Most recently it feels like the JBL pairing just went nowhere and they immediately ran out of ideas.

I think he gets over-hated but from what I saw with WWE and how they used him I guess I can't really blame most people since I missed big chunks of his GM run and onward.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Max The Impaler is nonbinary and clobbers any and all genders but has been booked for TJPW a few times.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The first time I heard about his new "gimmick" was when he showed up in my local indy to be a heel manager to one of our guys. I hadn't gone to that show so someone who regularly did at work told me about it. I thought it was just a tasteless heat thing but, welp. There's a very real possibility that my local indy was the first place that saw his new shtick.

Shame, but at least with the current goings-on it can be laughed at. Classic Necro stuff is still very good and it still blows my mind he was in The Wrestler.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Honestly weird that there isn't really a non-modern wrestling chat thread, not counting the WCW thread, or if there is I missed it. Would be good for anything before 2010 or what-have-you.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I can understand that, it's good to watch more things than just wrestling and it's great that there's so much Actually Good Wrestling out nowadays. I watch AEW every week and TJPW whenever I'm in the mood to watch a new show. But sometimes, nothing hits quite like a Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jumbo Tsuruta match, or a terrible old episode of Raw. Fun to refresh and get a bit of perspective every now and then, and old wrestling makes for some killer background noise.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

There's also the reverse case with guys like Billy Gunn and Randy Orton who are not billed as Tall Men but are in fact Quite Tall.

When I was a worker I met Billy Gunn because he came down for a local show and the dude was GIGANTIC, taller than anyone else who worked that night. He made one of our top guys seem like a teenager, it was nuts. Great guy, but holy hell was he intimidating because of his height and how rock solid he was.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

High school me thought Undertaker vs. Festus was the coolest three-minute match ever :colbert:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The best way to get into wrestling is to watch a show and sink right in, and develop your tastes from there. Just about everyone started by tuning into one of the many weekly shows, seeing a wrestler that struck their fancy, and going "I want to see more of that!". Wrestling's biggest strength is how the more you watch the more you pick up just by recognizing context clues.

That said, there's a great thread on how to get into All Elite Wrestling stickied in this very forum if you enjoy storyline and character infodumps. It's a consistently fun federation to follow, so try watching Collision tomorrow at 8 EST on TNT, or Wednesday night Dynamite at 8 EST on TBS, and see where it takes you.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So if Mr. Kennedy's name was canonically Kennedy Kennedy, which is why he did his ring announcement as "MISTERRRR KENNEDY...KENNEDY", why was his TNA name Ken and not Anderson Anderson :colbert: He kept the bit, he should have committed.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This year's Royal Rumble was really quite good too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If you have a VPN, just set it to UK, and then on the Fite app you can subscribe to AEW+ and watch all AEW weekly shows live or on-demand. It's fantastic on my Chromecast, especially the newer model that has the Android TV stuff built in since I can install ExpressVPN and Fite onto it directly. I just keep my VPN on on it, click over to the Fite app, and boom, no problems. Plus PPVs are discounted to about $20 with this method.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

There is too much new stuff to watch to have time to go back and watch old stuff

Sounds like quitter talk to me :colbert:

Coaaab posted:

wrestlers should watch old wrestling though so that they can steal bring underutilized spots from the past into the current era

Lady Frost and Blue Kane both prove that Glacier was the right gimmick in the wrong era.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

At the last indy show I went to there was a little kid in the front row and barring a spot where she nearly got flipped on by an outside dive she was having the time of her life and me and her parents encouraged her to trash talk the heels as loudly as possible :kimchi: She was shouting during a hardcore match that the face should pick up a giant stack of chairs and closet doors and smash the heel with it.

She wasn't even shaken by the dive, I think my friends, her parents, and the wrestlers were more scared than she was. Finding that local indy that has that sweet spot of great talent and underground jank is such a delight.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm sorry but I refuse to call an era that had a show start with Vince McMahon cutting a 20-minute promo about The Greater Power and how he's not that, followed by Shane interrupting saying that he'll reveal the Greater Power, a commercial break, the Corporate Ministry entering again, a prerecorded message from Vince McMahon about the Greater Power, only for the Greater Power to be revealed to actually, yes, be Vince McMahon, only for Linda to enter and make Stone Cold GM, and then forty minutes into the show have our first match be a tag title match between The Acolytes and Edge & Gangrel that lasts less than four minutes because there's a DQ finish better than what we have today or indeed "good". :colbert:

It sure was silly though. And the great stuff was so great.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

this kid is nuts posted:

Genuine question: what was so good about late 90s American wrestling? I want someone to rationalize it for me. Whenever I've went back and watched it I end up feeling confused and scared. It can't just be nostalgia

It's a lot of nostalgia, anchored by some very memorable personalities, and wrestling being able to tap into the zeitgeist of the Horny Angry Teenage Boy and the general furious malaise of the 90s. There was an element of car crash TV, of big publicity stunts, and genuinely great pro wrestlers like Austin, Foley, and The Rock mixing it in with early Edge, Kane, etc. Big presentation, big talk. WCW being hot was huge too, as it stoked early fandom wars, and the best way to get people invested in something is to make them defensive of the thing they like. Hey, it's working again now.

I think to many there was an element of not knowing what would happen week-to-week mixing in with how over trash TV was. It was like how kids in high school talked about Saw in the 2000s, this super edgy product that felt like everyone was watching but no one was allowed to watch. Combine that with videogames blowing up and very good wrestling games being released thanks to AKI, and Stone Cold and The Rock and others becoming crossover celebrities, it was just a perfect storm of passionate fans, frankly insane television with both WWF and WCW trying to one-up each other, and plenty of poo poo To Talk About.

Admittedly I only started watching in high school in late 07, but I had friends who watched Raw and I rented WCW/nWo Revenge a lot, so I may be coloring it with my own research and biases but that's at least the impression I got.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Lucifunk posted:

I've seen and heard bits of Meltzer, but I was pretty late to modern non-WWE wrestling. I also just don't care to get that deep. I want to like stuff, and I don't want to find out something like Adam Cole has a dog fighting ring he runs or whatever. Besides I'll see it literally everywhere else on the internet that mentions wrestling anyway.

What I have seen though, is that he tends to rate women's matches a full star or more in what seemed to be a great match the audience was going wild for.

Is that just my perception and I'm seeing a bad sampling of his ratings, or is it that normal for him? Once I first saw Riho, Emi, and Shida I knew I liked joshi wrestling. I'm an easy to entertain audience, but those women do so much with so few resources, and are so good and hard hitting. My faves are people like Mox, Eddie, Hayter, and when I was younger Steve Austin. Brawlers that look like they've hung sheetrock in the heat before. I haven't learned enough names, but I get that same vibe when I watch some of those women.

Check out AJW on YouTube. Modern Joshi is awesome - I love me some TJPW - but old school Joshi has big badass fuckers punching each other to death and it's great. Aja Kong, Dump Matsumoto, Bull Nakano...some of the coolest wrestlers ever.

I don't know who was in the match because I missed it but I once caught a Joshi boxing match on my channel and was blown away, it was brutal, bloody, and crazy exciting. The Brawl-For-All could never.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 6, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nthing ROH and Deadlock. Modern ROH is underrated, and since it's under the AEW banner you get a lot of great talent and nice production with a strong weekly show, and a TON of backlog since they have almost every classic ROH show since 2006. And Deadlock just has flawless vibes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i miss wrestlecircus a lot.

God same :smith: It was big in the circles I was part of at the time and the vibes were impeccable.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a list of all the things that have been used as the prize in a ladder match? We've had belts, briefcases, clipboards and everything that can be attached to them like custody paperwork or employment contracts. What else?

The big Sonic ring AEW uses for their Face Of The Revolution deal.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Penguin Patrol posted:

they're about to do Andrade's mask on Friday too

wrestling rules

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm asking this here because it's neutral ground.

Sheamus vs Rush. Who you got?

This is a lot harder a question than I thought it would be :psyduck: I think RUSH has the advantage of a faster and more dynamic ring style just by virtue of not being in the WWE system but Sheamus with a year back on the indies would crush most competitors and he's a huge muscular dude that towers over a lot of folks he could fight. They're both cool and charismatic and beat the hell out of people. I'd say RUSH now but only just.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I wish there was at least a way to easily watch the DDT Peter Pan shows from 2010 and 2012 :(

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Main Event Mafia is extremely difficult to rate because TNA was always a really uneven product, even before Hogan and Bischoff completely ruined it for a good few years. I will say that Sting in the MEM gave a lot to newer talent, was interesting and entertaining, and his willingness to do unique twists on his character such as the MEM or Joker Sting are a lot more fondly-remembered than they were received at the time. I'd say he did a pretty good job for his role in the group, but I don't know if anyone ever truly wanted to boo the guy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

For a non-Stone Cold great Austin match I am a huge fan of the War Games match between Sting's Squadron and The Dangerous Alliance at WrestleWar '92. Sure, he's just one part of it but it's cool to see him early in his career.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris Brookes And The Gang are great, but they're great in the "listen to some folks who know the product podcast around it in a chill way and make jokes while taking the serious moments seriously" way, not really ones I can rate as, like, Wrestling Commentators. It's a different vibe.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My partner's best friend's name is Giancarlo, which absolutely everyone shortens to "jee-un" because at some point in school he got sick of every teacher not knowing how to pronounce it and made it something "easier". I learned of him shortly after moving from Italy and it only confused me. In his adult life it doesn't make things easier as he ended up with a name tag that said Gene at his old job and didn't care enough to correct anyone until he quit.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My immediate thought is Bryan Danielson, but I think William Regal would have a great case too because of how expansive his body of work is. With that you'd get all sorts of eras in all sorts of companies, great technical wrestling, great comedy, and lots of wild promos to enjoy too. The Regal/Benoit match from the 2000 Brian Pillman Memorial Show is one I've watched multiple times and would gladly watch even more.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sandman McMahon posted:

Whatever happened to Blue Kane? That guy was cool

Last I heard he got a C&D (possibly from WWE) and changed his name to Blue Pain :( He should go to DDT for the Matt Cardona match, he could totally get away with it there.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It was always, to most, Bryan Danielson, but when he became "Best In The World" I would argue he was the hottest act in wrestling period, and he was always incredible at putting matches together and great on the mic. So y'know, subjective measures on what you'd consider that phrase to mean. The "pipebomb" promo and run into and out of MITB 2011 is still pretty incredible.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh yeah no question they fumbled absolutely everything after he started actually using the Best In The World moniker but there was that brief shining flash where it almost felt plausible. And then Kevin Nash showed up.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Off the top of my head, Jeff Hardy winning the WWE Championship at Armageddon, Ric Flair's retirement, The Nexus's debut, HBK vs. Undertaker in the run up to Wrestlemania 26, Chris Jericho turning heel on HBK by putting him through the JeriTron and becoming a suit-wearing heel, CM Punk's "pipebomb" promo and subsequent victory at Money In The Bank 2011, Edge cashing in Money in the Bank for the first time against Cena at New Year's Revolution...

For non-WWE you have Steen vs. Generico in ROH and their match at Final Battle 2010, Mick Foley's run in TNA, others...

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh yeah, ECW One Night Stand 2005 deserves a nod for sure.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The original Summer of Punk and "You stupid old man; I'm a snake!" promo are still totally worth it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Holy poo poo I never made the Michael Rooker As Henry comparison but you're totally right. God drat Sid ruled.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He never actually released it on VOD even though he said he would during lockdown and I'm still mad about it. Wrestling Revolution/Retribution Project probably would have been bad but it's one of the most interesting things to me since it was before Lucha Underground but had that same vibe with original characters. (Though tbh they both owe a lot to WSX).

I want to see Kenny Omega break that drat chandelier :(

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Man, I had totally forgotten about Averno! It really sucks they just passed on him after all that.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Super Dragon, Ophidian, and Tinieblas are favorites.

And of course, my favorite boy, Ultramantis Black. He has a lot of great variations but my favorite was always the simple black-and-white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So I wasn't watching any wrestling during the years that Impact and AEW had their big collaboration. I did hear about Kenny winning the Impact Championship, Christian winning it from Kenny, and something about Tony being an onscreen character in Impact. I had a friend who was into Impact at the time and was annoyed that the crossover didn't go as hard as he was hoping. Does anyone have any notes or highlights about what the whole deal was about, both as a TV product and backstage? Did the partnership just drift apart?