Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Chikara! It was him vs Archibald Peck in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDw0ivvq9Nk

The best part of this clip will always be Icarus hanging out randomly at ringside. Shirtless of course, to show off his terrible back tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TriffTshngo posted:

ok, wrestling question: what's your favorite gimmick match nobody else likes or no major company does anymore

No major company can match the sheer insanity of the Dead of Alive Cage matches Dragon Gate put on.

Here's my question: Was Orange Cassidy ever confirmed to be Fire Ant in Chikara? I read it on I think GameFaqs around 2012 and remember it every so often , but never get an actual source past r/SC or twitter

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jordan7hm posted:

the Wrestler in hotel room show

I was imagining Shibata glaring at the Bucks as they tried goofy poo poo on the road and am now disappointed this does not exist

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

jesus WEP posted:

the six sided ring is bad but the pounce is very good

Agreed that the pounce from weird angles was great.

Wasn't one of the main problems with TNA's ring is that they took a WCW ring, which was already smaller, then cut the corners off to make a hexagon? I think I remember Joe talking about needing to react to whips and stuff way too fast because the ring was loving tiny

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I am disappointed that Tanahashi's glorious hair has not been passed down to his daughter

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TriffTshngo posted:

that match whipped rear end and anybody who didn't like it was a loving coward

On a rewatch I very much enjoyed it, but in the moment I just wanted the match to loving end so I could get confirmation that Ibushi hadn't broken his brain doing something dumb like Shibata did. But yeah, pure cowardice

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What is the best tag team match of all time?

Like 2 vs 2 only

It's certainly one of the Misawa/Kobashi vs Demon Army matches, the June 9th, 1995 match is my favourite

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

What are some examples of a later naming of a move becoming the genericized name? The only ones that come to mind immediately are the Belly-to-Belly Piledriver becoming the Tombstone and Kudome Valentine becoming the Vertebreaker. I guess also Yoshi Tonic/Code Red but that just seems to be a regional difference.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Why is a Northern Lights Suplex called such?

Aurora Borealis.

More specifically, Hase named it when he was wrestling in Canada

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

davidbix posted:

The tombstone name predates The Undertaker by decades. It became his finisher because it was already named that.

From my brief research it seemed like Jack Pallo called it the Belly-to-Belly when he used it in the 60's before it was called the Tombstone by the WOS guys in the 80's, but I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

What is a really good Chikara Cibernetico?

2005 was really good, helped by Larry Sweeney on commentary with Chikarason who sell the story really well. Be warned though, it does go an hour and a half.

And yeah, 2010 is also pretty dope

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Benne posted:

Showbuckle still has a channel on Dailymotion, but not all of his videos are on there https://www.dailymotion.com/showbuckle

Unfortunately it looks like the Golden Lovers one is lost to time, unless there's a ripped version out there that I haven't been able to find yet.

Pretty sure this is the same drive I downloaded Showbuckle's stuff from last year. The Golden Lovers video is in this pack.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rwDlsrA4Gqs2yTSyBV8uHnblFrMFRUKm

e: Just noticed the Young Lions video is not on his Dailymotion account either. Watch that one it's tops

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 18, 2020

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chuckie T and Chase Owens are great fun on commentary, i've no doubt they'd still be post retirement

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm going to go with Journey into Darkness' continuity and say that the Brothers of Destruction are Glen (portrayed by Glenn Jacobs) and Mark Callaway (portrayed by Mark Calaway). See, it's the subtle differences in spelling that make all the difference to maintaining kayfabe

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

From what I've seen of it, Okada's early years were pretty dire. He's quite good now.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Tomohiro Ishii

Zack's a skinny submission boy and Tom is a fire hydrant shaped man that lives for lariats, elbows and headbutts.

Their matches at Wrestle Kingdom last year and G1 2018 were both great.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ChrisBTY posted:

The problem is he'd stop before the word 'Ric' and stick him in the parking lot with ninjas.

If they gave me Samoa Joe and Okada fighting off ninjas I might actually watch WWE again

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has anyone ever made the "Sunset Flip, opponent stays up and tries to fight it" spot look good or at least not bad?

Triple H

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Does anyone here have experience buying from IVP Videos? I'm looking to buy the Big Egg Universe Bluray but the site is not secure per Chrome so i'm weary to put in my card information.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MJeff posted:

I heard DG also does "you must join this faction if you lose" stips, that's pretty cool and creative too.

I imagine it would be marginally better than when Cena was forced to join the Nexus

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

a cyborg mug posted:

This post

made me wonder:

Are there/have there been notable mixed-gender factions that have featured a women’s tag team alongside whatever men the faction has? I mean recently there was Retribution (lmao) that had two women for about five seconds but I mean actual women’s tag teams in actually notable/successful etc. factions. Feels like it’s very commonly a bunch of men and one woman (could just be a manager too).

The one that comes to mind for me is BDK in Chikara that had Ares/Cesaro for the men and Daizee Haze/Sara Del Rey for the women, though not sure if that counts for what you're asking because there were no dedicated women's division in Chikara

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Benne posted:

Kota Ibushi's Death Stare is the most terrifying sight in wrestling

For me it's Go Shiozaki. There's a picture I remember seeing from years back when he still had the black hair, blood running down his forehead as he stared right through someone promising murder. He's only gotten better with time, he has some of the most emotive eyes i've seen. I was so shook when Kenoh hit the buzzsaw kick on him and he was just laying there with glassy eyes, like he'd just gone somewhere else.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sorry to barge in with a derail, but which one of you vandalised Orange Cassidy's Wikipedia entry?

Because while true, I don't think John Cena ever said that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Okay so what are your guys top ten matches of 2020 looking like thus far?

Not going to rank them else I'll be stuck on this post for several hours, but

Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW Jan 4
Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay NJPW Jan 4
Tetsuya Endo vs Masato Tanaka DDT June 7
Arisa Nakajima vs Asuka - SEAd Jun 13
Yuji Okabayashi vs Ayato Yoshida - 2AW July 5
Kenoh vs Go Shiozaki - NOAH Aug 10
Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH Sept 19
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH Oct 11
Kenta vs Yoshi-Hashi NJPW Oct 14
Eruption vs Disaster Box/Nautilus - DDT Oct 25

So by promotion, it's NJPW (3), NOAH (3), DDT (2), SEAdLINNNG (1), and 2AW (1)
And there's so much fantastic wrestling I didn't mention :negative:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'd say either vs Warrior at WM6 or Rock at 18, but I confess Hogan's wrestling style is not one I rewatch

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DLC Inc posted:

is there a list of the best Eddie Kingston matches to watch? I only heard about the guy in passing before AEW but man I'm interested to see what he was doing before this.

Here's a few of my favourites
Vs Chris Hero in CZW where the loser has to leave the promotion
Vs Mike Quackenbush to crown the first Chikara singles champion
Vs Claudio Castagnoli (now Cesaro) where the loser has to tell the winner he respects them.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Make them play the mirror spot completely straight and you've got yourself a deal

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Seams posted:

Big Match Yuj has had its own ironic charm.

:hmmyes:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I remember John Finnegan and Jim Molineux enough to recall their names but not much else. I think maybe Judge Jeff Jones was a ref before he started managing Mike Awesome but don't particularly care enough to check.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted:

Are there any other contenders for greatest heel stable/unit/faction other than NWO or Bullet Club?

Suzuki-gun are heels compared to half the roster, and every member is great. The same can't be said for NWO or BC

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Guilty as charged, I enjoyed KES as a tag team act

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I remember JR and Heyman being great at WM17, but my favourite commentary team is Kevin Kelly, Rocky Romero, and Chris Charlton, especially from their first G1 tour together.

Kevin was a decent enough play by play guy, Rocky brought great colour as both an active wrestler and a member of CHAOS (and an ongoing hatred of BUSHI) and Chris brought the live promo translations and New Japan history for both wrestlers and arenas. Each member played an integral part and by the end of the tour they'd called 15 or so shows together in a month and had built up a great camaraderie. I don't think Chris would be nearly as comfortable in the booth as he is now if it weren't for Kevin and Rocky

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Punk and Ace have an equal number of WON match of the year nods

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Comedy answer is Zack Sabre Jr . Every time he takes a hit his lights immediately go out.

But for real I think it's either Tanahashi or Kawada. I wouldn't be surprised if Kawada worked a bit with Ishii in the early-mid 2000s, they both have such phenomenal timing in when the exact right moment to start selling is.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

a cyborg mug posted:

Talking about Okada over in NJPW thread got me thinking: which wrestlers across history would you say fit the same kind of role Okada has?

Like Okada is a respected and beloved guy and the face of his promotion, but also is an expert at tweaking his character to a heelish tweener to make crowds root for his opponents. He’s a final boss-level threat to anyone and always a realistic challenger for the main belt, but is also able to make people think just about anyone might get the pin on him. Etc.

I’m currently at work and can’t dedicate my time to thinking about this so nothing’s coming to mind immediately. What do y’all think?

Edit: wow bad at writing

Less so now he's a broken down shell of himself, but Tanahashi 5 years ago was absolutely this.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ChrisBTY posted:

Anything with a Gory Special setup that isn't The Fatality.

Boo this man

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1275751112092512256

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

abraham linksys posted:

b) All of that said, what are the "best" (if there is such a thing) and worst instances of uncomfortably-realistic injuries y'all have seen?

Probably not what your're going for, but my mind always goes to Shibata at the end of Sakura Genesis 2017. At the time I was thinking he was selling being exhausted from being in a near 40 minute war and thought it was really good acting, we only found out later his brain had broken and had paralysis on his right side. Which of course made it so much more emotional when he walked out 4 months later to let us know he was still alive

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I know that Johnathan Gresham was a member of Osirian Portal for a short time as Hieracon, I remember him being real fun in one of the king of trios

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ChrisBTY posted:

Don Callis would have been a good higher power. But then you have to explain how such a bunch of guys including the Undertaker were taking their cues from a nobody.

He was too busy being turned on by the Acolytes' violence to control such a large group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's sad to see Edge and Christian's relationship deteriorate over the years. They used to be brothers, then friends, and now they are just guys who know each other