Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The league minimum for a first-year player in Major League Baseball is about $500K/yr, for perspective. Not guaranteed, and they go back to making pennies if they're sent to the minors, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I saw Sting and Christian vs Jarrett and (someone) LIVE in the IMPACT ZONE in ORLANDO FLORIDA.

I THINK it was Sting's like, big return match. I don't entirely remember.

Monty Brown maybe?

I have a vague memory of the lead-up to that, TNA was hyping the heck out of Sting but he hadn't appeared yet, then I think Jarrett and Monty were in the ring and some pre-recorded clip of Sting came over the PA where he called Monty the "Alpha Female" like it was a really sick burn, then Mike Tenay going absolutely bonkers like "OOHHHHHHHH MY GOD WE HEARD THE VOICE OF STIIIIIIIIING"

I mean I did mark out pretty hard a week or two later seeing Sting wrestle on PPV for the first time in years, but holy crap Tenay was trying like a million times too hard that night. I kinda liked Tenay as a third wheel in WCW but he was pretty bad as the lead voice of TNA. Did he ever do anything after that?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh, and Jarrett's WCW character was just the drizzling dogshits.

The crazy part is it was basically the same character, but the few things that changed were pretty glaring. "Slap Nuts" was a lot worse than "Don't Piss Me Off", the Stroke was a lot worse than the Figure Four, and well, he 100% belonged in the upper-midcard and 0% belonged at the top of the card. I thought he was a little better in TNA, aside from still being pushed much higher than he had any business being.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wow, it looks like they scaled down the size of the ring to match the reduced size of Scott Steiner's arms

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

really, steve wasn't really any good at just "the ringmaster" and everyone seemed to know it immediately to their collective credit. i think if stunning steve had never been fired by fedex, he would have eventually been a upper-mid guy, really loved by the fans, like ddp level or so. of course, stone cold was a whole different stratosphere, but wcw steve austin was fun, if completely overshadowed.

It's tough to say what would have happened if WCW had kept Austin around. I don't think he would have remained "Stunning" into the nWo era, everyone was changing gimmicks around that time, and it's tough to be "Stunning" when you're going bald.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Didn't he job out to loving Duggan almost immediately when that whole crew came around?

I don't envision a scenario where he would ever have stuck around WCW, but if he did then his ceiling would have probably been similar to Malenko or Eddie. I don't think Hogan or probably Bischoff would have let him get much higher than that, and I don't know that anyone else who was on top around that time would have been pushing for him as a top guy at all.

Well yeah, I meant more in the sense of, "What if Hogan/Bischoff didn't decide he was worthless and kept him in the upper-midcard picture?" rather than "What if they didn't bother firing him, but kept him around as part of the Thunder/Saturday Night crew?" In the latter case, I think he would have jumped ship on his own.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Seams posted:

lol @ heyman retconning ECW history so that 'Stone Cold' was in a championship match and not just Steve Austin

I mean, it is literally the same dude with the same name, just different nickname & haircut, I dunno if I'd call that a retcon

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Max Coveri posted:

So Buzzkill then?

Yeah, just like that, except the complete opposite of that!

Russo had a lot of bad ideas, but turning WCW into a giant WWF parody was among the most baffling.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think he just got lumped into being a weak comedic heel for too long and nobody was really interested in him when he tried to turn serious much later on. His best roles were easily Ravens lackey in ECW and the leader of RTC and outside of that he didn’t really have much character to support him

When did he try to turn serious? I can't remember him ever not being a punchline.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Wrestlers should always say the name of their finisher, and it should always, always be a pun on their own name.

So which is it? Halloween Jackknife or Halloween Jackhammer?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Was it called a tombstone before undertaker did it? I always assumed the name related to his gimmick.

It was called that before Taker, but I assume the conversation went something like: "Hey, this guy's an undertaker, what should his finisher be?" "How about a TOMBSTONE piledriver? Get it? Har har har!" "Actually yeah, why not"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Was Jerichos original WWF theme supposed to have decipherable lyrics? It could have gone either way.

I remember being able to make out "step in the arena and break the walls down" but not much else.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I have no idea if this is legitimately true, but I've heard and seen in comic books that if you put a roll of coins in your hand it's almost like a brass knuckle effect if you punch someone. Has anyone in wrestling used that as a spot? It seems like it could be similar to a brass knucks spot, but then you could gimmick the roll of quarters to make coins spray everywhere and have a bigger visual.

Skip to the 5:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWd1ABdlrM

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The ladder spear which was probably murder for both Edge AND Jeff Hardy.

Pretty much since his debut, I have continously had two questions about Jeff Hardy.

1. How is he still alive?
2. ...is he still alive?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Which tag teams had equally good members?

It's like, I've heard Dynamite was way better than Davey, I know Bret was way better than Jim, Shawn was way better than Marty and right now I'm listening to Retro Nitros where Vinny said Robert Gibson and Scotty Riggs were the lesser halves of their tag teams.

Plenty of "neither of them was all that noteworthy" but on the "both were really good" end of things, I'll suggest Steve Austin & Brian Pillman.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Why do they still bother announcing that it's one fall? Like, that's the default, you don't need to tell us.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

fatherofmustard posted:

Because there are match types that involve multiple falls or no falls.

Sure, but they're rare. They might as well say, "The following contest is not a cage match!"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'd think the majority of pro wrestling moves will take a toll on your body if you do them often enough. Same as how you don't want to lift weights with the same part of your body every day.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Leaving us with the team of Nash and Young. Right where we started.

Alas, without Crosby and Stills around, it just wasn't the same.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Did WCW EVER have a good face turn?

DDP maybe?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Was Val Venis over in the WWF/E? What was the height of his career?

Very much over as a face in like 1999. Fizzled out pretty quickly though, got a heel push against Foley at one point and nobody cared. Then he was in Right To Censor which got a lot of heat, but didn't really do anything for any of the individual members.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

They let the X-Division guys go wild in the openers for like 5 years. That's it, that's why there were ardent TNA fans. Then Russo started writing for them.

They also had AJ Styles in his prime as one of their main event guys for a while. TNA always had its share of problems, but it had its good points prior to Hogan & Bischoff showing up.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The storylines were always bad in TNA, but yeah, I remember enjoying the mid-card stuff on FSN. I remember a lot of AMW vs. Team Canada (even in the mid-2000's it was totally nuts that Petey Williams was allowed to do that flip-over piledriver move in an actual televised wrestling promotion) and yeah, the X-Division was actually fantastic for a while when Joe, AJ, and Daniels were all part of it.

They looked like they might really be going somewhere when Christian & Sting showed up. Sure, Sting was in his 40's, but even at that age he was more compelling than most guys you were going to see on TV.

Also I was the one guy who actually liked the hexagonal ring

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

The only memorable TNA promo I saw was Hogan talking to reporters backstage then Jarrett assaulted him with a guitar, laying out on the floor and leaving. Hogan groans in pain, cut.

OK but name one pro wrestler from the 2000's who wasn't hit by one of Jarrett's guitars at some point

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did Macho always look so strange when he was running? Is it because he pulls his legs up so high?

When did Macho not look strange?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always forget just how well surfer Sting connected with the crowd, especially kids. He basically acted like a big kid that was given a chance to be a wrestler and it somehow clicked.

A while ago, I went back and watched some of Sting's early matches. Two things stuck out at me - one, like you say he was extremely over with the crowd from the beginning, and two, I got more of an appreciation of why that big corner splash was a signature move for him. As a young guy, he was getting some serious height on that thing and it looked drat impressive.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Another question, just how bad was his heel run in 1999? I remember it being very bad.

The main thing I remember about it was that it was short. It was obvious right away that the crowd wasn't interested in Sting as a heel and they rolled it back like a month later.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

So a big question is, if Sting had been the third man of the nWo instead of Hulk, how well would that (and the nWo by extension) have gone over? I’ll bet if it had happened that way, the nWo would never have been as big as it was, and who knows if the whole attitude era would’ve happened.

I’m sure someone somewhere has written this up as a what if.

The nWo was already around when I started watching, so I wasn't "there" at the time, but I don't think the third man could have been anyone other than Hulk Hogan. He was the only guy in wrestling back then with a big enough name to draw in people who weren't already watching. But yeah, I think Sting would have taken the wind out of the sails of the angle. It would have been a let-down as a reveal, and I really can't see Sting going over as a heel.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I haven't seen or thought about Tank Abbott in years, but I remember him being in WCW at the time, and I did not like him ironically or unironically. Like so much of what was going on in 2000 WCW, he was not the right fit at all and really should have never been involved in pro wrestling.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Tank was not a foolish hire for WCW. Don Frye was the obvious guy to bring in from UFC other than Shamrock (he went to NJPW) but Tank had a ton of charisma and fan interest. He was a guy who had a bad rear end aura, and it carried over early on. Even after they hosed him up the idea of Tank vs Goldberg had buzz to it.

There is a place in wrestling for unique, non wrestlers to have limited roles. It makes things more fun.

I didn't watch Tank in UFC, but I did see him in WCW, and it didn't work at all. I'm sure he looked badass in the octagon, but in WCW he looked out of place, his promos didn't work at all, and his fighting style didn't mesh with pro wrestling. His finisher was one punch. I'm sure that one punch from Tank would do a lot more damage than anything else anyone in WCW was doing, but when he did it in WCW it just didn't look all that impressive. I'm not opposed to bringing in a UFC guy with a different style, it can work out really well, but having seen Tank when he came in, he was just not the right guy for that. As always, Russo is partly to blame, but I'm not sure anyone could have gotten Tank over in WCW, even in a limited, specialized role. I don't think he had the right look for that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

PPV buys from Batista's first year as champion in 2005.

Royal Rumble: 575,000 (Batista wins the Rumble)
No Way Out: 240,000 (JBL/Big Show)
Wrestlemania: 980,000 (Batista/HHH)
Backlash: 320,000 (Batista/HHH)
Judgement Day: 260,000 (Cena/JBL)
Vengeance: 420,000 (Batista/HHH)
Great American Bash: 280,000 (Batista/JBL)
Summerslam: 650,000 (HBK/Hogan)
Unforgiven: 250,000 (Cena/Angle)
No Mercy: 230,000 (Batista/Eddie)
Taboo Tuesday: 250,000 (Cena/HBK/Angle)
Survivor Series: 400,000 (Batista captain team Smackdown)
Armageddon: 320,000 (Undertaker/Orton)

Batista was drawing great numbers until No Mercy. What happened there?

I don't see any real correlation between Batista and good or bad numbers there. Royal Rumble doesn't count, the average fan doesn't know ahead of time who will win the Rumble. WrestleMania always had the best buyrate of the year.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The obvious takeaway for wrestling rings is that fewer sides = more better, therefore the triangular ring is optimal

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

It really is insane how miles ahead of everyone WWE has always been with video production. I guess it's finally starting to change now with how AEW utilizes cinematography and some of the UK/Europe indies doing some neat videos, but it was always the one thing that stuck out to me in the WCW vs WWF era.

Agreed, though maybe I'm biased from years of watching Nitro the next day on a well-used VHS tape. But yeah, WWF just had a way of making everything look cooler, sound better, etc. I don't know if they brought more crew & equipment to the arena, but they always seemed to have the right angle when there was a big spot, etc. Even little stuff like showing the Titan-Tron videos full-screen when guys came out. Remember that brief period where WWE brought the nWo in, and they did that lighting effect for their entrance? WCW wasn't going to do anything that impressive.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm pretty sure that Tony, Brain and Tenay commentated together fairly often at one point, and they were better than most of WCW's commentary groupings, until Brain truly stopped giving a poo poo anyway.

WCW definitely had a stronger record in emphasising the athletic, sporty aspects of pro wrestling, but I feel like even that was falling apart by... 1997, maybe? Everything I've gone back and watched from 1999 and beyond is veering more into WWF-lite territory though, both before and after Russo.

They were pretty WWF-like in 1995 when Hogan was feuding with the Dungeon of Doom. But yeah, in 1999-2000 they were really trying to be the WWF with the set change, two-man ringside commentary team, Mark Madden being somehow more obnoxious than Jerry Lawler, hardcore matches, etc. But they also had stuff like Riki Rachtman and DJ Ran that didn't line up with anything WWF was doing. One thing that was cool about the WCW-vs-nWo storyline in 1996-1998 was that it was sort of a dramatization of NWA-vs-WWF, tradition-vs.-sports-entertainment, and that sort of blended into the presentation, but by 1999 that tension was gone, it was full-blown WWF-style.

Heenan was phoning it in most of the time he was in WCW. The three-man booth worked fine, but it probably would have worked about as well with just Tony and Tenay. Heenan could still get a laugh every now and then though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Rocky Maivia got death threats.

Whatever happened to him anyway? After that Dwayne Johnson fellow showed up, it was like he fell off the face of the Earth.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Nash and Hall have said the same thing in interviews. I never know who to believe in wrestling but this all seems believable.

I don't trust Nash, Hall, or especially Bischoff, but yeah this checks out 100%.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm struggling to think of wrestlers I've watched who aren't horrible jerks in one way or another.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was at one of the few tapings where he did this gimmick and I was marking out to see Al Snow because PWI magazine hyped him up so much and I instantly recognized him from the exposure there. He then had a great match with Candido so I was convinced that Snow was living up to the hype, despite the gimmick.

Huh. Was Al Snow actually good? I only ever saw him when he was in WWF carrying the mannequin head around, I don't really remember his wrestling ability, seemed like he was mostly in hardcore matches where all he did was whack other people or himself with random objects.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

THIS IS THE GREATEST SOY HAZELNUT LATTE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hirez posted:

Why did Hogan never let Macho go over on him, every 1on1 with them ends up with Hulk winning/retaining because all of Macho's wins are Count-Out's (lol) or DQ's

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=91&nr=97&page=2&constellation=Singles

Why would he follow Hogan to WCW knowing it would be the same fate? Especially with how serious Macho Man took matches/coordinating them, was it all about the :10bux:?

WWF was barely using him toward the end. Sure, in WCW he'd never go over Hogan cleanly, but he was still a main-eventer and making the :10bux: instead of being a commentator who occasionally got to wrestle Doink. He was a 4-time WCW champ, so it's not like he was buried there.