Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Helicity posted:

Is there an effort post somewhere on how/why Inoki almost destroyed NJPW?

Do you have an Observer subscription because Dave's 1996(?) G1 article details the history of the promotion and how Inoki's corruption almost destroyed the promotion in the 80s.

OH! You meant when he almost destroyed it in the aughts.

I don't think there is so here are the big points.

First he double crossed Hashimoto in a match Hashimoto absolutely needed to win. Hashimoto was arguably their biggest star, and definitely their biggest healthy star as Chono and Mutoh were both in physical decline. (Mutoh would reinvent himself and have one last great in ring year a bit later.) Hashimoto left and formed Zero One. After this you started seeing the overuse of guys who were perceived as shooters, putting stars in shoot fights and other weird calls like bringing in Chyna.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PublicOpinion posted:

Where does Puma King normally wrestle? I'm curious if the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship might find its way onto Kenny to travel back to Japan in November.

He's most regularly in AAA so there's a chance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who are some wrestlers who were either way ahead or way behind of their times?

What I mean is someone like Steve Blackman was not very over during the attitude era, but he’d likely be a huge Indy star if he was around now. And on the flip side someone like Ryback was about 10 years too late.

How would Steve Blackman be a huge star, he'd be nothing today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maigius posted:

What was the deal with Dusty Rhodes in ECW? It seems like that would be a clash of styles.

WCW let him go so he didn't really have any other option. Paul also realized fans would go nuts for stars of the past who liked to bleed or make others bleed.

And Sid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really hope some day people start appreciating Dandy as more than just a meme. The Negro Casas and Santo matches are all incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

Does anyone have a clip to the Youtube where Beau James uses the worst armbar finisher in history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbUnTYS7zY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

lol what the gently caress is this, does this guy own this rinky dink company? thats the only thing that possibly makes sense.

Correct! The other clips I have of SSW are even less professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhdessO5fQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NllxbFa5BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2rWiYfVgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNAuK7lCHOc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

This forum is absurdly over-the-top in the Jarrett hate. Yes, Jeff Jarrett did some insufferable poo poo in his career, slapnuts was obnoxious, The Stroke was a lovely move, he was never meant to be a top guy in a national promotion. But as a midcard act Jeff was fine. There have absolutely been worse guys who've had runs on national TV.

Most of his midcard runs were really bad after he jumped to WCW the first time. His first WCW run was really boring, his WWF run floundered until he was in a decent tag team with Owen, then he only got over as a single with huge over the top misogyny. The matches weren't anything special. When he went from main eventer to upper midcarder in WCW his performances were even worse.

Yeah, he had a good run in the WWF in the mid 90s but that's really it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I watched this with sound off at first and assumed someone had slowed the video down for effect. I guess grabbing someone's arm, putting your foot on their neck, and pulling hard would hurt. If you put any effort into it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcPwf_A6jk

Edit: Is that loving Lawler at 1:41 or just another lookalike?

Without looking I'd bet it's Lawler he's been in the ring with all sorts of old guys from that area.

The thing to keep in mind about the arm bar is they were really proud of this angle. They played the full angle week after week on SSW TV, sometimes multiple times per show. We must've watched it 50 times when we watched SSW TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

You watched SSW weekly? But at what expense?!

I hated it less than NECW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sionistic posted:

Ernest was a great character, and thankfully thats how he was mostly used

He really wasn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Gonna have to side with you on this one. the cat wasnt a good wrestler but he was a great character.

People say this, but when. His three week feud with Norton that was good because of how awesome Norton was? It wasn't because of The Cat's ability to show rear end and take a beating. His face commissioner run where the highlight people point to are super racist skits with the Dragons?

As a heel commissioner he was horrible. He completely stumbled over his promos and made bad Thunders nearly unbearable. As just a heel wrestler his feuds were mostly with people like Jerry Flynn where he did completely boring matches. He wasn't just a character for 90% of his run, he was a terrible wrestler. And during half of his "just a character run" he was one of the lamest heel authority figures of his era.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

It's tough to say what would have happened if WCW had kept Austin around. I don't think he would have remained "Stunning" into the nWo era, everyone was changing gimmicks around that time, and it's tough to be "Stunning" when you're going bald.

Him and Pillman would have figured something out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

lost my old email posted:

why do i know zigglers shoot name why was that in my brain?

It's his Twitter Display Name so whenever someone posts his bad tweets you see it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Who was the most popular maskless luchadore ever?
Or luchadores if there isn't a clear consensus like El Santo.

Perro Aguayo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don't worry, I'm not MassRafTer, I'm not going to insist that Santino was always terrible simply because I personally wasn't a fan of his work.

That's weird because I thought Santino was used very effectively at times and liked when they gave him those brief hope spots in the Chamber and Rumble. It's also not weird a super popular comedy figure would be getting bigger pops than career midcard heel like Regal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What happened to noted white supremacist Lars Sullivan? I've not heard about him for a bit.

This somehow seems completely fitting for Jarrett.

They sent him to sensitivity training. He's back and repackaged as Luke Harper.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

I've seen them wrestle a couple of times I think but I do not know if they have any distinguishing characteristics beyond "crazy evil carnival/clown/circus wrestlers".
Prince Nana was a heel manager in mid-2000s Ring of Honor, with the gimmick that he was an actual Prince who was blowing his nation's money on a heel wrestling stable called The Embassy. Jimmy Rave was the "Crown Jewel" of the Embassy, and was basically a smug heel who would steal everyone's moves and declare them his invention (i.e. the Styles Clash became The Rave Clash). He also got toilet paper thrown at him a lot. I don't remember too many other people being memorable Embassy stable members, though Sal Rinauro hung around at part of the stable for a good long while.
Thomas Santell is the former WWE Heart Throbs member Antonio Thomas. A couple of years ago he switched up his gimmick to "The Ovaltine Dream" Thomas Santell, which is pretty heavily based on George McFly and is kind of reminiscent of the late-period ECW anti-hardcore Cactus Jack where he doesn't like drinking or cursing or hardcore violence, but he does love Ovaltine and hard work and good old fashioned catch wrestling. He first teamed up with Nick Gage as an odd couple tag team (also called Nerder Death Kill) in Beyond this summer.

He also hosts a sports podcast called I Lost My Wallet in Greg Polanco for Figure4/Wrestling Observer, but all I really know about it is that everyone else in the Empire seems baffled by the name.

Kris Statlander is a fairly new wrestler (debuted in June 2017) and has an Alien gimmick I do not fully understand, sometimes she apparently uses mind control or telekinesis to control her opponents?

Alex Shelley and Abyss were both great Embassy members, and competed in a Trios tournament with Rave!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I have nothing to back this up but how bout Liger? Hes been working consistently for so long.

Negro Casas been working longer than Liger and more matches per year. The answer is definitely someone in Mexico. Maybe it's Mil Mascaras!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Goldust? He's got to be in the discussion if we're talking wrestlers who are still active.

With Mexico and Japan he's probably not even in the top 50. Especially given his relative inactivity for the last decade.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kaveman posted:

Do we know when NXT UK contracts are up? There's a few people in there that AEW could use, mainly the women.

Hard to say but if the first class of signings were to 3 year deals they'd be up this winter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

What are the best heel promos of all time? (No slurs)

I've posted this before for other reasons but I'll post it for this one. Nick Bockwinkel in the $500 per punch feud with Lawler was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA

This is probably the weakest promo in the feud but sadly I lost my old VHSes that had a more complete compilation of these promos.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Psycho Clown.

I get that he's psycho. I know that he's a clown. I understand that he's AAA's top babyface.

What I don't get is how. I don't know why, and I don't understand what his appeal is.

I've seen a few matches with him(all multimans), and he really hasn't impressed me or even stood out in any of them(other than his entrance).
I would like someone to explain why, and how, he's so popular and, if possible, point me to some of his stand-out matches.

He has a lot of charisma and has been booked to win a lot and be a top guy. He also has a mask that's cool for kids. He's really not a good wrestler though and doesn't even have the really cool spots like Murder Clown does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am glad sentiment on Big Show has changed around here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

There are two elements that make a good wrestling match. Ideally both are combined, but you can have a good match with a minimum of one if the other is high enough.

The first is cool moves.

The second is acting like a bad rear end.

If the wrestlers are doing both you are watching a great match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know there were signs that problems were mounting for Britwres before they all signed death pacts with WWE, but it's really funny that the scene nose dived right after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheCool69 posted:

I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone? Make them worse? I see it as someone is making money, not getting hurt and hopefully building a future so they dont have to tour the world when they are 70 years old and break their body for cheap pops and gifs

It's not always for more money, some of the top indie guys and certain Japanese wrestlers (Io and Kairi) took pay cuts to go to NXT. People don't like seeing their favorites sign and end up in a company that's historically lovely to workers with terrible creative. They get that wrestlers deserve to make money, but it's a bummer to see some of them sign.

Especially early this year when it was wrestlers who agreed to NXT deals before the AEW bidding war really began.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Draxion posted:

They probably are getting hurt

Like, look at how often women in NXT who basically are never on the show end up injured, for long periods of time. Look how Ciampa had a neck injury pushed from bad to devastating because they had to have him on Smackdown for three weeks for some reason. It's a constant thing. On Raw and Smackdown you have schedules that are like Saudi Arabia to Buffalo the next day to the UK right after, back to the states, and then flying again a day or so after. You never get a chance to rest. I wouldn't have nearly so much of a problem with people going to make money if it didn't have such a crazy schedule.

This too, the WWE schedule is by far the most dangerous for wrestlers long term health.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

something wwe has totally forgotten is that comeuppance is great and heels acting like massive dicks is fine as long as they get their rear end kicked for it

nowadays it's all swerves and DQs and bluhh

I mean WCW wasn't exactly good at it. Hell in this story Jericho immediately gets the belt back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the discussion. I had always thought the Tombstone was a Taker original. It's so iconic that they just call it that now. It's also fun to reverse-engineer what finishers actually are because I learn new poo poo like modified reverse crossbody grapplefuck or something.

Okay, so a new question. Has anyone tried to make a wrestling promotion simulator? Like you're an indie trying to get a TV deal without getting gobbled up by the fed, something like that.

Here's something to gently caress with your head: Bret Hart learned the Sharpshooter from Konnan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

So did Sting base his gimmick around the Scorpion Deathlock or did it just fall into place? It also refers to a scorpion in the original Japanese name of the move.

I believe it fell into place, he took the name Sting and right after he saw the move.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I agree with you, but he was hooked on heroin at the time.

Today's wrestlers just don't commit to the gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It blows my mind that the NWA still exists as an entity and now has a TV show of some kind?

Not as much as the fact that TNA still exists.

They have a TV show in as much every back yard wrestling fed on youtube does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

I believe Austin also felt that HHH wasn't ready to be The Guy at that point. (And he wasn't wrong.)

It was partially Austin but mostly not wanting to have Ventura count for a heel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikegal posted:

I remember really enjoying the feud in WCW between Raven Benoit and DDP but don't actually remember what it was about or what happened. Does anyone remember? Bonus points if you can just from memory without any refreshers.

Ok so Benoit was feuding with Raven and had to go through the Flock before he faced Raven. He finally faced Raven at Souled Out 98 and destroyed him. The next month Benoit faced DDP for the US title at Superbrawl and lost. Raven then DDTed DDP through a coffee table on MTV Live and started their feud, and Benoit was like, hey I beat you and could have beat DDP so let's all feud. They had the best 3 way up to that point at Uncensored, then Benoit went with Booker T and Raven beat DDP at Spring Stampede to then drop the US title to Goldberg the next night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the oldest really good lucha match that's actually on tape? So much of that stuff seems just completely wiped out or not recorded at all

MS-1 vs Sangre Chicana is the oldest, greatest match ever type match I've watched. It's from the EMLL 50th Anniversary show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJC75SV6xE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

LTTP but Okada vs peak Kenta Kobashi would be the worlds first 18* match

Prick Okada vs 2005, kind of broken down beloved legend Kobashi would be my pick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Foley had 4 distinctively different gimmicks. Cactus, Mankind, Dude Love, and himself.

Every single one of them competed in a WWF Championship match.

Has anyone else come close to this? For clarity, it would be completely different gimmicks. I wouldn't, for example, count Thuganomics Cena and Fruity Pebbles Cena as different characters. If I did, Foley would be at 5 since boiler room Mankind and Socko Mankind both had title matches

Rapping Cena and Fruity Pebbles Cena were pretty much as distinct as Foley's gimmicks. They were all the same dude.

It's not like The Destroyer where he was WWA Champion as The Destroyer and AWA Champion as Dr. X and changed up everything he could about the way he wrestled so people wouldn't figure out the difference.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, I’ve only really gotten into wrestling hard with AEW (I previously watched the first two seasons of LU), and I’ve been listening to a shitlod of wrestling retrospective stuff at work to pass time. Which is, naturally, a very different perspective from having watched live.

And one of the big throughlines of all of this listening is “Man, gently caress Hulk Hogan.” Besides the fact that we now know he’s a lovely racist hotdog, it feels like there’s infinite stories of him being crap to work with and having an ego the size of the sun. So... how is it that he came to be the face of wrestling for ages? Was he actually really good in the ring? Sheer force of promos and personality? Extreme politicking? Was it just a completely different environment back then?

Hugely charismatic guy with the perfect body for the 1980s when everyone was convinced bodybuilders were the ultimate bad asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

That's the one. It's 100% Vader's gently caress up, I can't even imagine what he thought he was doing.

Trying to kill Kane and I support the effort.