Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

That's got to be some kind of rib on Edge.

I was thinking it was drugs but it could be this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JJ had really good punches tbf. Shane is also a horrible wrestler

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

The last royal rumble was a Jeff Jarrett match

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

Maki Itoh gets rolled into the ring and rolls all the way to the other side of the ring to the outside while screaming

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

TheCool69 posted:

I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone? Make them worse? I see it as someone is making money, not getting hurt and hopefully building a future so they dont have to tour the world when they are 70 years old and break their body for cheap pops and gifs

Imagine if your favorite wrestler was short had an accent and they signed for WWE. A company that regularly buries talent or just dosen't use them at all. This is a company with over 210 people signed and nobody is over, why would a new signing end up any different.

If they just want money that's perfectly fine with me, it's just disappointing if you want to see someone reach their full potential as a performer

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Manwall! posted:

People often talk about dream matches, but what are some potential nightmare matches you can think of; matches that never happened but would have almost certainly been either complete shitshows or so lacking in chemistry as to be unwatchable?

HBK vs austin aries

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

he would be literally chase owens

chase owens is good actually

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Artelier posted:

anyone has suggestions for a brutal looking move that's relatively easy to take? i want to try to convince the peeps i am doing a show with next week that i should take a bump, or if not a bump, at least a submission or something

my only experience is a crash course a few months ago, we went on how to do a basic back bump and a short one minute or so sequence which ends in a leg pull/sweep into an leg lock manoeuvre

curb stomp is probably your best bet.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

I got two random little questions:

2. How legitimately impressive are power moves? Think the hanging vertical suplex or press slam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TvytrosXRI

How much of this is the strength of the lifter and how much is just the other wrestler jumping or holding themselves up?

It's all relative to the person taking it generally so if the person you're lifting is good at jumping and posting it'll be easier and if you are super strong you can also make up for it pretty easily.

I have a pretty weak upper body/core at the moment and I can pump handle slam/bodyslam/verical suplex small people but I couldn't do any of those to someone who can't jump for poo poo.

technique for alot of these is also very important, which is why super old wrestlers can still do alot of power moves.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Are there any finishing moves that have never been kicked out of? Judas Effect got me thinking about this and I'm sure it'll be a decade or so before somebody is able to kick out of that move.

Burning hammer

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

What have been some decent face turns? Like Batista in 05 was really natural and cool. And what have been some garbage ones?

part of a truly terrible angle but regal turning face by saying to triple h "i may be a bad man but I am not a bad enough man to ever think of hurting eugene" worked me extremely hard

all of big shows face turns were terrible, he would go from punching people out one week to being happy and jokey the next with no context or explanation.

ItohRespectArmy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 29, 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

BrigadierSensible posted:

Del Rio, (although a scummy bastard out of the ring), had really REALLY good facial expressions. Whether they were the mentioned smug heel smile, or his "oh poo poo, I poked the bear and am now about to get my arse kicked" chicken poo poo heel faces.

Who are others that had good facial expressions in the ring. (Not counting "peoples Eyebrow" facial catchphrase-style stuff)

Maki Itoh has some really good ones, especially in the bigger matches.

Punk was also great at it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Okay so what are your guys top ten matches of 2020 looking like thus far?

like 5 tjpw matches, yano vs zsj and 4/5 DDT matches depending on how your count a certain double title match.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

explosivo posted:

Is an arm drag like the first move wrestlers learn? It always felt like a very "fundamentals-ey" move to me and I see it in a lot of matches so I always kinda assumed it was a "week 1 of wrestling school" move.

for me it was lots of chain wrestling, shoulder tackles, clotheslines, hip tosses, slams and then you'd learn stuff like arm drags but they are a pretty early on in there.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

abyss and his endless supply of thumbtacks.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

to be fair I also love dr wagner jr.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cavauro posted:

i have a question, for the thread. how many wrestlers shaved their heads when they had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline? i thought of this after looking at the wrestling character beaver cleavage in the other thread. i can think of him and possibly danny basham but i don't have evidence of an 'after' photo on that. i am doing this for school

joey mercury

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Schneider Heim posted:

who's the most successful/most-loved shooter/MMA fighter who pivoted into pro-wrestling? I don't count people like Minoru Suzuki or Katsuyori Shibata, who are more wrestlers than shoot fighters.

bob sapp and dan severn both deserve a decent shout also.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

my favorite bob holly story is the time he sandbagged brock on a powerbomb so brock just shoot powerbombed him and broke his back.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, apparently this is a myth.

we live in a post truth society and I choose to believe it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

hikari noa does this spot which is by far the weirdest crossover ive seen

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of Big Boss Man, he kicked rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LdKw2GzJs

my hottest take of all is that young big boss man and any age shingo takagi are the same guy.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Firstborn posted:

I cannot stop loving watching Botchamania is there a support group/thread
I haven't watched since the Attitude Era and I'm crying laughing help my face hurts
I have 390 episodes to go please im dying

it's a very good series.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

he was also terribly booked his entire career.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Lid posted:

except 1996 WCW

yea

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Rusty Shackelford posted:

A conversation about Multi Level Marketing in the WWE thread made me wonder - what would a wrestling mlm gimmick look like?

big money matt in aew?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Karma Tornado posted:

Vince's mom presumably has a much cleaner drug record than her big jacked boy, though

vince and hogan are like kissinger, they're going to live to see the world burn around us.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

scott hall was pretty good at worked punches

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Related question I've asked ITT before: how does Kota Ibushi make his punches look so real without actually punching the other guy? His punches on Okada in their WK match were brutal looking but Okada had no bruises and seemingly wasn't knocked senseless by them.

You can throw a pretty bealivable worked punch by having your fist open slightly (imagine you are holding a small tube in your hand) and then throw a normal looking punch without much risk of damage.

although my punches never looked as good as ibushi's do (neither did anything I ever did)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Venomous posted:

tbh I'd just throw elbows

this was my solution personally, chops and elbows 4 lyfe

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Critical posted:

thoughts on taz's take here?

https://twitter.com/officialtaz/status/1559740741282398210?s=21&t=WvR6U5fDboy94JPhuLRdzw

disregarding this place or the internet as a whole does anyone else use wrestling vocab in regular conversations?

once in a while I'll use pop or mark since it is pretty apparent from context what they mean. if I actually talk wrestling with someone I will gauge how much of a nerd they are before breaking out vernacular. would never do it to a wrestler's face, feels disrespectful but maybe that's just me

I think it's fair from Taz. Frankly wrestling fans use the lingo more than actual wrestlers do from my experience of when I was in locker rooms with people and so it just comes off as very very tryhard when using it speaking to actual wrestlers.

My one caveat is that alot of the terms are very funny and handy to use especially outside of the context of wrestling, describing bad guys in movies as the heels will always be a good time.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

pseudodragon posted:

How do refs get started? Do wrestling schools have ref classes?

a common way for wrestlers to get started on shows is to ref matches.

also one of the best ways to help out on a show if you aren't wrestling is reffing.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

I'm interested in wrestling school, to those who have done it: is it a full time commitment? Or is it like classes you could do? It's a dream of mine to go but I also have a full time schedule :(

it's classes usually but many wrestling schools will expect you to put down a decent amount of money as a commitment after a certain point.

most people at wrestling school have "real" jobs, including the trainers.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Most people always talk about ex football players who couldn't hack it and turned to wrestling because they're big. Who do you guys think is the best football player turned pro wrestler? As in (your opinion) a great worker.

The Rock was pretty ok.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

the paul brothers have unfortunately proven to be bigger draws than most of the wrestlers we love in this subforum lol

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which wrestler's (or person involved in the wrestling business) life story would make the best biopic if it were to be true to life any not WWE revisionist garbage? Shawn Michaels? Herb Abrams? William Regal? Vince McMahon?

Dynamite Kid.

A complete monster and piece of poo poo and also arguably as talented as he was awful.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Shard posted:

What do you think the shortest a match can be and still be a great 5 star + match?

thirty seconds.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

The Science of Suck posted:

has there been a good tickler gimmick anywhere yet? i don’t mean just a tickle spot or two, but they’re called like ‘the tickler’ and that’s primarily what they do

the guy in ASOIAF was quite effective

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

xpac blew out his rear end in a top hat trying to do a bronco buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

i actually own a 5% stake in all memphis footage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)