Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Defenestrategy posted:

How do spots get called in the ring specifically? I assume certain moves are very generic where if you call suplex it doesnt really matter if you do a butterfly, belly to belly, whatever the guy taking the move knows to jump for it and tuck their head, or stuff might be iconic where if you call cutter people will know and its probably trained to take pretty universally, but stuff like made in japan, poison rana, and some other stuff are probably not universal. Do they just call what direction the guy needs to bump and just trust the guy has instinct? Do they just workout before hand and say " i'm gonna do x, y, and z moves do you know how to take them?"

Some wrestlers like to plan matches down to every single move (DDP and Macho Man were known for this), some wrestlers like to have a start and end planned and wing the middle. Sometimes, there isn't an opportunity to plan at all, and the whole thing is just done on the fly, with some things being called out or communicated when the opportunity arises (like during rest holds), and then it comes down to trust.

Also some moves really are just kind of universal, or can be communicated one way or another so that everyone understands. Nyla Rose has told the story before about her time in Japan where she used to have trouble laying out matches with some joshi because of the language barrier, so she bought some action figures to use to demonstrate what she wanted to happen, and then she didn't have trouble laying out matches anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

little munchkin posted:

there's a documentary about the young bucks and they laid out a match with two japanese wrestlers using a mix of simple english and pantomime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhORGbwxLUQ&t=170s

lol I was actually trying to find that video to make reference to it in my response because I remembered it existed but not exactly what it was, and gave up when I couldn't find it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dr. Quarex posted:

Did I already ask in this thread if Marko Stunt has ever wrestled anyone smaller and worked big man style, because I feel like I did but I also think this is such a good idea I want to see it happen

Riho does this when she drops by TJPW. She'll hoss it up like an rear end in a top hat and it's great

Her and Suzume getting into a forearm exchange that ends in Riho basically caving in her chest lives rent free in my head.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 9, 2024