Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Randaconda posted:

speaking of ECW, does anybody know which commercial with "IT'S TOMMY DREAMER AND BRIAN LEE, HIGH INCIDENT!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32UuXmV-JY

It's the same commercial where "KIMONA WANALEYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

is it true that the NOAH announcers made fun of Samoa Joe and thought he was a comedy act because he kept doing King's Road moves in his match against Misawa

This convinced me to finally watch Joe vs Misawa after well over a decade of putting it off, thanks.

The most damning thing I can see is Takayama having a laugh over Joe being a huge puro fanboy and "he moves well for a fatty". But they both put him over and say all of these are what make him dangerous against Misawa.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 2, 2020

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

fez_machine posted:

Do Japanese fans complain about Wrestling Observer Awards favoring western wrestlers as much as western fans complain about the Tokyo Sports awards favoring Japanese wrestlers?

A lot of them probably don't even know what the Observer is, but they generally recognize talent when they see it so I doubt they'd be as mad.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Patriot is so loving baffling to me. I wasn't watching around that time, I picked up again in late '98 or so, and I'm pretty sure I never heard about him until a few years ago. And then when I still had the Network I watched a few '97 Raws and he was all over the program for about six months, then completely disappeared. What the hell was that all about?

WWF gave him a call while he was in Japan because they knew negotiations were coming up. Apparently Vince liked the gimmick and Cornette vouched, and this was during Bret's "anti-American" angle so they thought things would work out. The problem was he was already worn down with injuries by that point so he was limited in the ring. He had a tricep injury that forced him to retire, hence his abrupt disappearance, but the angle in general was just weird and forced so I don't think anyone missed him.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Yeah, he seemed like such a walking anachronism at the same time the rest of the fed was heading into the Attitude era.

It's been a LONG time since I watched Ground Zero, but I remember liking his match against Bret. That may have been Bret himself doing all the heavy lifting, but I remember really wanting Patriot to win it.

But this was an obvious stopgap feud, Austin was getting a lot of traction (even while he had to not wrestle due to his neck) so it wasn't going to work out.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

STAC Goat posted:

Every time someone says "ECW invasion" I actually briefly forget about that one episode of RAW where they invaded and then joined the Alliance and think of that time in like '97 when they did the invasion angle the first time and WWE never followed up on it.

And then I think of the NWA Invasion and I chuckle.

They continued the promotional feud in ECW with Lawler invading their turf (with help from Sabu, RVD, and I want to say Louie Spicolli). Some people like Jim Cornette, Sunny, Rick Rude, and I really want to say Jake Roberts, were also involved with the feud on the WWF's side. The blowoff was Tommy Dreamer beating Jerry Lawler at Hardcore Heaven.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Gavok posted:

I loved that bit because earlier in the night, Bret was asked about which potential opponent he'd rather face in round 2: Mr. Perfect or Mr. Hughes. Bret thought about it, put them both over as tough competitors, but said that he'd choose Mr. Perfect because he had way more respect for him.

Later in the night: "You wanted to face me because you think I'd be an easier opponent, you son of a bitch!"

The finish to that interview was amazing; Perfect reached out his hand to Bret saying "May the best man win", only to pull back right when Bret went for the handshake.

"...GOTCHA! Just like I'm gonna get you in the ring"

Bret was so pissed he yelled some stuff and stormed off.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Didn’t she just...dance? For like thirty seconds? She didn’t strip or anything? Why the gently caress was this pushed in every single commercial? I remember finally seeing it a few years ago and being flummoxed.

She did a striptease dance for a few minutes. I'll agree that it's way tamer than expected, but this was the 90s. Footage of the dance wouldn't be readily available, and ECW could advertise it to be lewder than it actually is.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2020

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

They both did the “Shout the names of Japanese automakers at Japanese people” schtick. Regis did it to Tenryu and Kitao, while Todd did it to the photographers in Caesar’s Parking Lot.

At least the Regis thing was double-sided, since Tenryu and Kitao were pretty flippant with their responses. "Oh this guy knows Toyota, impressive..."

The bit with the photographers was just flat-out racist, though.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

davidbix posted:

I know Tony has addressed all of the Heenan stuff in detail, but I don't remember what he said about this. (That it wasn't true, or that it was true with an explanation.) Tony loved Gorilla, so even in the context of his being burnt out and having a weird relationship with Bobby, the story doesn't make much sense.

Tony said that he asked Bobby if he got approval from Eric because Tony would get poo poo for it if things went wrong, Bobby said he doesn’t care, and Tony just said “welp alright go for it”.

I think Bobby took it as Tony being a jerk who wouldn’t let him say goodbye to his friend, to which Tony admits he probably did come off that way.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

NikkolasKing posted:

So, listening to the latest Retro show, and I thought of something during all the talk of "WCW referees" during the Invasion.

Did ECW not have any notable referees? Refs were (at least sometimes) big characters in WWF and WCW. But obviously ECW had a fraction of their budget so maybe not.

Bill Alfonso and Jeff Jones come to mind. The latter managed Mike Awesome and I want to say Sid when he had that brief stint in ECW.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Alaois posted:

Koji Kitao was an absolute nightmare, iirc

I remember hearing about his match with John Tenta, where he stopped selling his moves and then grabbed a mic saying wrestling is fake, and got fired. He also said something racist towards Riki Choshu (who is zainichi korean),which got him fired from NJPW earlier.

He was also apparently one of the worst yokozunas in sumo wrestling, never winning a championship before or after his promotion. (Correct me if I’m wrong on this)

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

fez_machine posted:

John Cena speaks fluent Mandarin apparently?

I showed a clip of him speaking Mandarin to some Chinese friends, and they all agreed that, except for when he says English words, he can pass for being fluent.

Edit: Probably no-brainer but Kenny Omega’s very fluent in Japanese.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 21, 2022

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

karmicknight posted:

for silly and also kind of dangerous, the Jon Moxley sawzall spot.

The shoot interview explaining that spot was great, and the dude that sawed him (I forget his name, sorry) was right in that people would flip over it despite being really fake. Mox sold it perfectly too, it was awesome.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
This might be rose-tinted glasses, but I enjoyed his Pepe run. Might’ve gone too long but he looked like he was having fun with it.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

We never did get a payoff to that years-long storyline, did we?

We sort of did with the blowoff of the nWo Sting angle. The real Sting came out the next night after Fall Brawl 96 and delivered the free agent promo, specifically mentioning how he gave Luger countless chances despite everything Luger’s done and said. Luger not believing him when he said he wasn’t nWo was the last straw, and he got fed up with both him and WCW outright.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Nova/Simon Dean used to be referred to as the most ripped off wrestler in the business by Joey Styles. Whenever Nova would come up with a new move, somebody would steal it and use it on Raw or Nitro. I've seen references on this forum that Nova himself was using the moves that he'd seen used in Japan.

What moves was he stealing? From New Japan or All Japan or elsewhere? Also I guess I'm wondering who was stealing "Nova"'s moves on Monday Nights? Kanyon?

I only remember him using the Air Raid Crash, which was a Mariko Yoshida move, so yeah likely joshi wrestlers.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I feel like the Headbangers were around for a while as good hands, enough that I’d see them outside of wrestling and on TV shows like Real World/Road Rules, where if they had a wrestling theme show then the Headbangers were the ones who showed them the ropes.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Defenestrategy posted:

Why does 2Cold Scorpio languish in low card hell for his wwf runs? Seems like a dude running 200X indy work rate in 1997 WWF would be pretty popular, maybe like a IC or European Run?

Drug issues, which got even worse in the WWF because he both got paid better and had more time to use them.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also he's black

I didn’t want to say this, but yes…

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I haven’t seen her Japan stuff, but I remember thinking she was pretty good. She tended to rush spots quite a bit and did some dangerous spots that she shouldn’t have been doing, but I never thought of her as bad. Her match with Bayley in NXT Brooklyn is my all-time favorite of hers during her WWE run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I know he played a face for a good chunk of the final years of his career but Mankind’s Mandible Claw feels very heel-coded to me.