Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After a decade it's probably time for a new thread for people to post wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread, and this is that... thread.

This can lead into a little, limited discussion within the thread itself, or might require a simple, straightforward answer and nothing else! If a question is generating a lot of discussion, might I suggest moving it over to the appropriate Wrestling Promotion Discussion Thread where possible.

In addition to relying on the completely unbiased and forward thinking minds of Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro, here are some resources for answering questions you might have:

The Internet Wrestling Database - "an ongoing project to create an online, interactive professional wrestling database"
CageMatch - Massive Database on Wrestlers, full of statistics
Online World of Wrestling - The former Obsessed with Wrestling, an incredibly useful and jampacked with information website.
Wikipedia The place to find out all about events featuring professional wrestling matches with outcomes predetermined by script writers; the matches feature wrestlers portraying their characters in planned storylines that took place before, during and after the event.
Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Online - The most popular and (largely) well-regarded Wrestling Journalism site, run by Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez - full of information on news stories, opinions, podcasts, newsletters, match results etc.
The Top Rated Matches of all time as rated by Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Pro-Wrestling Torch - The biggest Wrestling Journalism site next to the Observer, run by Wade Keller - full of information on news stories, opinions, podcasts, newsletters, match results etc.
Punch Sport Pagoda's Matches of the Year - An ongoing tally of the best (and worst) matches of the current year as nominated by the users of this forum. Links in OP to the MOTY threads for every previous year.

Places to watch wrestling:

American Promotions:
The WWE Network - The WWE Network in the United States is currently on NBC's streaming network Peacock in March of 2021. A Peacock Subscription comes in two tiers, one with ads (cheap) and one without (more expensive). Raw currently airs on USA Network at 8pm EST on Mondays, but will be moving to Netflix in 2025. NXT airs for two hours on Tuesday at 8pm EST on USA but will be moving to the CW network in October of 2024. Smackdown airs for two hours on Friday at 8pm EST on Fox, but will be moving to USA Network in October of 2024.
All Elite Wrestling - The clear #2 promotion in the world, with big money and big stars involved, AEW Dynamite airs on TNT on Wednesdays for two hours from 8pm EST, AEW Rampage airs on TBS on Fridays for one hour from 10pm EST, and AEW Collision airs on TNT on Saturdays for two hours from 8pm EST (the latter ended the free Youtube shows AEW Dark and Dark Elevation). Currently PPVs have been offered in the US on Bleacher Report (very expensive) and on AEW+ on Fite (now called Triller) in the rest of the world (much cheaper). Outside of the US you can access the weekly Dynamite and Rampage shows live as they air (and then on VOD) for $8 a month on Fite/Triller. Gavok has a new 2024 version of their tremendous AEW Primer thread if you want to know more about the promotion.
Ring of Honor's Honor Club - Now owned by AEW's Tony Khan, the entire archive of former Ring of Honor shows as well as weekly Thursday airings of new show tapings are available for $9.99 a month. Livestreams of PPVs are offered through fite.tv.
TNA Wrestling - The former TNA Wrestling is now the former Impact Wrestling, back to it's old (terrible) name. All of TNA can be watched on TNA+
Game Changer Wrestling - PPVs available through Fite/Triller+, produces live shows that people really enjoy.
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - No current live service or video uploads, the only way to watch is to buy DVDs directly from them. Has an extremely dedicated fanbase and is highly regarded for the quality of its live shows. Highspots' new streaming site apparently has old PWG shows available, but files are unorganized and can only be located via search (thanks to Rapt0rCharles9231 for the info), and costs $15 USD a month.
Chikaratopia - Chikara shut-down due to allegations in the #SpeakingOut movement over owner Mike Quackenbush. Archives can still be accessed via an independentwrestling.tv subscription.
National Wrestling Alliance - Recently running PPVs again, more info to come.
Major League Wrestling - Available live through BeIN Sports, and regular uploads are made to their Youtube channel

Japanese Promotions:
New Japan World - Currently 1298Yen a month, includes livestreams of most shows (shows not being livesteamed is the exception, not the rule) and significant archives going back decades. Most shows are available with English commentary as an option. Be aware that in Japan, billing cycles start on the 1st of the month, regardless of how late in the prior month you signed up, so it is possible to be billed for two months within only a couple of days of each other depending on when you signed up.
Wrestle Universe - 1298Yen a month after March 22, 2024, DDT is a comedy-centric Japanese wrestling promotion that also has very, very good matches. Universe also includes Pro-Wrestling NOAH, DDT's sister promotion Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling, Ganbare Pro, Sendai Girls, and some events from ZERO1 and Michinoku Pro Wrestling.
Pro-Wrestling Noah - Now owned by DDT's parent company, and shows are available on their online service Wrestle Universe.
All Japan Pro-Wrestling TV - Currently 900Yen a month, airs major events live and has VOD going back to 2017, but none of the incredible 1990s All Japan content, which is owned by NIPPON TV. Most of those, which aren't currently legally available for purchase anywhere, can be found here.
Dragon Gate - Currently 1500Yen a month, includes livestreams and VOD of the entire archive.
Gatoh Move ChocoPro - Uploads via their Youtube channel.
Big Japan Pro-Wrestling Core - Currently 888Yen a month, noted for its Deathmatch style wrestling. Provides livestreams and VOD.

Japanese Women's Promotions (Joshi):
Stardom World - Currently 920Yen a month. All shows are VOD only, but come with English subtitles and are broken down into individual matches for viewing convenience. Addendum OCT 17, 2019: New Japan's Parent Company BushiRoad now owns Stardom. At the current time there are no plans for Stardom World to change up how anything is run.
Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling - Included with a Wrestle Universe subscription.
Sendai Girls - Shows now included with a Wrestle Universe subscription.
Marvelous - Currently 600Yen a month.
Pro Wrestling Diana - Intermittent uploads to their Youtube channel.
YMZ - Currently 999Yen a month.

Mexican Promotions:
AAA - Airs live on twitch, in Spanish and also with English language versions available. All TV shows and match tapings are aired on the 24/7 stream, with live airings happening at 9:30pm EST on Friday nights.
CMLL - Regular uploads of shows to their Youtube channel. Schedule is as follows: Mondays Arena Puebla - 10 PM ET, Tuesdays Arena México B Show - 8:30 PM ET, Fridays Viernes Espectacular Arena México A Show - 9:30 PM ET

UK/European Promotions:
Progress - British Wrestling Promotion, $7.99 a month.
Over the Top - Irish Wrestling Promotion, $8.50 a month.
WXW Now - German Wrestling Promotion, 9.99Euro a month.

Independent Promotions:
Various Independent Promotions can be found here. A number are also available via Fite/Triller+.

The above lists are not exhaustive/definitive, and I can add or update anything more pertinent to them if people ask.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated the OP to be a little more structured, and added in some extra promotions Punch McLightning posted in the old thread. Thanks Punch :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

who shot Dino Bravo?

He had links to the mafia and was allegedly involved in cigarette smuggling, so it's likely he just crossed the wrong people and got killed over it.

Gaz-L posted:

I just found out that the dude who played Luca Brasi in the Godfather was a wrestler (and possibly also a for real made man). Anyone know anything about him or his prograps career?

A quick lookup indicates he had midcard success in the NWA during the 50s and early 60s mostly in tag teams, and was involved in storylines involving the likes of Gene Kiniski, Ray Gunkel, Eddie Sharkey, Eddie Graham. He got passed over to be Gorilla Monsoon's partner and shifted more into acting while also getting involved in the mob (he did NOT kill Dino Bravo) before The Godfather made him in demand as a heavy on tv and he was basically done with wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looks like he had three singles matches in 1992 against James Beard for the Global Wrestling Federation, one of which was a boxing rules match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Done!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Might be good to mention tjpw as a joshi promotion on ddt universe

Done, I hadn't actually been aware of that so thank you!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

super macho dude posted:

I asked this last thread and it never got answered: Did the most current Wrestlehut Awards thread get posted or did we just skip it this year? I haven't been checking these forums for awhile after 'Mania.

I don't recall and a search doesn't bring it up, The Goog used to run them and I think may have just skipped it this year?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

This made me start thinking that maybe at least a part of "pro wrestling cool" is whatever your 5- to 12-year-old self would think is cool, and I am being serious and don't mean that as a bad thing. At its purest, when it's not trash carny garbage, there is a sweet innocence to pro wrestling

I loving love One Piece and the author has been straight up in saying the entire inspiration for it was thinking,"What would I have thought was super cool when I was like 10 years old?" and then making a manga based around that premise. It loving worked, and that kind of earnest "check this awesome poo poo out!" mindset is what made season 1 of Lucha Underground work so well in my opinion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Which Straw Hat would be the best wrestler and why is it Franky

Well he's a SUPERstar so it seems obvious, but the real answer is Usopp because he's the closest in spirit to Ryusuke Taguchi and Toru Yano. Also the really real REAL answer is Minoru Suzuki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was Vince possessed by:

A. Burgess Meredith
B. Ren Hoek
C. Both

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I doubt that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

What was the story pitch that was so bad it struck Vince -Vince - dumb for like a minute and then he just got up and left the room?

I think a writer pitched that the guy who eventually became Heidenreich would be a frozen Nazi from World War II who gets unfrozen and decided to become a wrestler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok. Now I keep hearing that Maria and Mike Kanellis took Vince for a ride to the tune of 500k/year.
is that their combined contracts or each?

I'm not sure, every time I've ever read a report on it, it's always worded as,"Mike and Maria signed for 500k a year" with no distinction where it was each or as a combined act. Even if it is "only" 2.5 million they grifted out of Vince McMahon, that's not bad for a bare minimum guaranteed yearly salary for the next few years. The REALLY important thing is that they grifted him and he's totally not mad about it at all nosiree he's totally fine he's perfectly cool and good and unbothered by the whole thing!

That said, at the time they made the deal, the story going round was that WWE had shifted to 5 year contracts and was making 500k a year the standard offer to try and keep people from going to AEW which they're also totally unconcerned and not shook by why it's pure coincidence they moved NXT to USA on Wednesdays 2 weeks before AEW's new show started on the same day what a stroke of luck! so I would not be at all surprised if Mike and Maria are getting 500k a year each.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 17, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I still think 'grift' is relative in this context

They signed a deal for big guaranteed money to keep them away from other promotions, knowing that Maria at least was going to be out of action for a significant portion of it due to pregnancy that WWE wasn't aware of yet, and they wouldn't have been able to get signed elsewhere anyway. By the time WWE found out, the contracts were already signed and too loving bad, you got grifted Vince McMahon :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it's messed up to say a woman signing a contract and getting pregnant is somehow a grift.

No no, she didn't sign a contract and get pregnant. She got pregnant, then entered into contract negotiations without telling them she was pregnant, got the guaranteed money and then revealed it. THAT is the grift, and it owns.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drew McIntyre posted:

would you guys be interested in having a Best Wrestling rear end voting tournament?

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

Kurt Angle loses a match to Rey Mysterio, grabs the mic and shouts,"What the heck is wrong with me? I just lost a match to a freaking 10-year-old!"

Either the same night or another he threatened to make Rey submit in their match, pointed out that Rey looks like a kid and smirked,"There's nothing I like more than getting on top of a 10-year-old boy and making him squeal!" before his face falls as he realizes what he just said.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Was this around the same time that he said his weakness was guttersluts and that he wanted to have bestiality sex with Booker T's wife?

No, it was early in Rey's WWE run so it would have been around 2002 when Kurt still had hair. You're thinking of bald Kurt.

Which also reminds me of Kurt wearing a wig under an amateur wrestling helmet and insisting his hair had grown back after he lost a hair vs. hair match :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Must have been a good wig, Rey didn’t debut for a couple months after the hair match.

Holy poo poo, really? I completely, genuinely believed it was pre-bald Kurt I didn't realize he lost his hair that early.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, Suzuki losing that hair match and his badass reaction was one of the coolest loving things I've ever seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shine posted:

Does Ziggler still do that superkick/exhausted flop pin in 5-minute matches?

I'm positive I've seen him open a match with it. It's kinda incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also part of what made Sting go,"gently caress this noise" and spend a year in the rafters was because after all the benefit of the doubt he gave to Luger and going to bat for him when others talked poo poo about him, the moment nWo Sting showed up Luger didn't show the slightest hesitation in believing Sting had betrayed him and the rest of WCW.

Sting/Luger was so loving great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always loved the story about little kids following Larry Sweeney around at FIP shows just furiously yelling at him the whole time :allears:

Spikegal posted:

So Sting says gently caress you to all of WCW, goes goth, buys a vulture and starts living in the rafters with a baseball bat.

God, pro-wrestling is the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

I think you treat it like custody of a child when a parent cannot care for them for whatever reason: find the parent's closest living relative. In this case, that's Edge's brother Christian.

This is the greatest thing I ever read in my life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was from back when he was The Giant in WCW, but I have always loved the scene in The Waterboy where Captain Insano laughs so hard he starts crying :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7xsCFI_c8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spikegal posted:

only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS

This may still be my favorite Tony Schiavone call of all time, the only thing that comes close is probably,"Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell."

Tony Schiavone posted:

Wait a minute.....

:aaa:

THAT'S NOT CICLOPE!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which reminds me of the first two minutes of this (you can stop watching at that point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBunjK8Xg5A

"Chris is really smart, he's a good guy!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Answers Me posted:

So, we all know that a) Vince McMahon has total control over creative, and b) his ideas are absolutely insane. Despite that, there must have been some angles over the years that have been so batshit that people have managed to veto them. What are the ones we know of? I've heard of the Steph incest angle, but there's gotta be more that have leaked out...

Somebody once pitched a wrestler being a thawed out Nazi soldier. Apparently when the idea was pitched, Vince just stood up and walked out of the room in complete silence.

Edit: Foley once wrote what I pray/assume/desperately hope was a fake angle he pitched about incest cannibal serial killers or something. I'm fairly certain he was just trying to prove a point in his book about one of the censorship groups of the time who was trying to get WWE banned for being bad for kids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seams posted:

Also wasn't there some sort of pseudo-incest angle with Paul Burchill and Katie Lea or am I remembering that wrong?

It was reported that was what the angle between them was originally going to be but it never actually happened on the show, though people who were primed to expect it read a lot into every interaction between them (this is from memory, maybe there was something more straight-up I missed).

Beaver Cleavage aired a few vignettes with a bizarre psuedo-incest thing about his mother or something before they realized how terrible it was and abandoned the idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do like the fairly infrequent Bullet Club/Suzuki-Gun interactions too, especially when the scummier guys like Kanemaru get a chance to out-scum Bullet Club.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved The Two Man Power Trip but on the other hand I also loving loved Paranoid Heel Austin losing his loving mind while trying to lead The Alliance. I know blah blah it was bad for business blah blah I don't care it was some of my most enjoyable memories of WWF/E in the early 2000s. I loving love Steve Austin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Should I watch NWA Powerrr?

Watch the first episode for sure, if you don't like that you won't like the show in general. Second episode was kinda weak but the third episode was a ton of fun, I legit look forward to watching the NWA every week at the moment and it's a weird and alien sensation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

Note: this was in the 1994 G1

Is Inoki to blame for this? Because I feel like this is something Inoki would do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The answer to that question for me will always be Kenta Kobashi :hellyeah:

But I'd also pay somebody bring back Bret Hart too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Here Comes The Pain, but also I think the last wrestling game I actually played was Smackdown vs. Raw 2006.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shine posted:

so anybody could lift The Big Show, even though IRL nobody can lift The Big Show (he's too big).

It's impossible :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Over the course of their careers did Randy Savage EVER beat Hulk Hogan by pinfall?
Did Savage ever beat Hogan period?

Taken from cagematch, these are the times I can find that Savage defeated Hogan:

1985 - Twice by countout
1986 - Twice by countout
1987 - Once by countout
1989 - Twenty-two times... by countout. All his losses to Hogan in the same time were clean.
1995 - He won the Three Ring Battle Royal which also featured Hulk Hogan
1998 - Twice in singles by DQ, Once in a tag match by DQ, one no-contest

So as far as I can tell, Randy Savage NEVER defeated Hulk Hogan by pinfall. Ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Words can't really express how hugely charismatic Hogan was in the 80s, as a kid it was like watching a real life comic book character (similarly so was The Ultimate Warrior, him and Hogan at Wrestlemania 6 blew my goddamn mind) and it easily covered up that he was a pretty limited wrestler. He was still a politicking rear end in a top hat by all accounts, but he was also making the company so much money that everybody was getting paid well being on cards with him, which got him a lot of leeway. Especially since he always made sure to get his friends jobs/paid.

I believe he was the guy who strangled in the crib mid-80s attempts to unionize WWE wrestlers, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There should be a King of the Ring but it should be Keith Lee forever, and he doesn't have to wear a crown or anything, he's just Keith Lee but everybody understands that he's the King and they pay him the proper respect he is due because of it. There's never another tournament and the rank is never on the line, Keith Lee is just the King of the Ring and everybody just deals with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hey guys. Sup.

:cheers: