Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hirez posted:

Is there an origin to Bret wearing neon pink? I don't think I've ever seen it discussed but it's so iconic. Was it just Vince and Co. getting in on the Neon craze in the 80's? Certainly a bold choice in that era

I answered you in the other thread since I happened to be there:

He talked about it on a podcast once. If I remember right, he and Jim Neidhart were trying to stand out and the person making their gear suggested hot pink, Vince saw it and loved it and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

With the #SpeakingOut thread locked, I guess I'll ask this here:

I'm not the only one who's found themselves feeling oddly conflicted over Serena Deeb becoming one of their favorite wrestlers to watch at the same time that she's apparently fallen in love with Marty Scurll...right? Outside of Teddy Hart/Maria Manic types of situations where there was clearly something off in a worrying way from the jump, I don't usually pay much attention to wrestling relationship drama, but...falling in love with Marty Scurll post-#SpeakingOut seems concerning in an entirely different way. He admitted to enough to make him look like a predator AND ROH cut ties with him after a full investigation. It feels very weird and disappointing in a very weird and specific way that the new heir to Bret Hart and Bryan Danielson, the laid back sober yoga instructor who's so into her recovery that she named her signature wrestling moves after addiction-related terminology...she's the nonce's girlfriend?!?!?

I know it's wrestling, you shouldn't get too disappointed, but I feel like I end up constantly whiplashing between "HELL YEAH, SERENA DEEB!" and "Serena, no..."

He seems to have hosed off and maybe he’s re-evaluating his life, seems like someone who has been through a cycle of “doing lovely things (although not as lovely as noncing, obviously), recognising this, getting better” is the kind of person who would be more accepting of that in another person because they’ve been there? Could be a positive influence for him rather than a negative influence for her, and it feels unfair to tar her with his baggage if that’s the case.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bret’s book is a disturbing window into a man who thinks about pee way too much.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also this hideous piece of poo poo being the top title belt forever and ever

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they just stopped the spinning gimmick but kept it the same otherwise, if it was actually just stuck the whole time then lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s arguably the best thing he’s ever done because it’s a thing that’s “his”.

It’s a low bar to clear though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Where did the “Am I loving going over?” Triple H story come from?

quote:

Number 7: "Am I F***ing Going Over?!"

One traumatized writer gave Powerslam writer Matthew Randazzo the following account of one of his earlier meetings with Triple H a few years ago:

“I remember being nervous the first time I delivered the script to the McMahon dressing room where HHH would dress (he would never use the locker rooms with the rest of the boys). When HHH answered I told him the RAW script was ready for his review. On the first occasion, he grabbed the script, flipped through it but did not read it, and asked me point-blank: ‘Am I f***ing going over?’ This first time that I delivered the script to him, he did indeed win his match, so I said yes. Then he politely gave the script back to me without reading it and said, ‘That’s all I needed to know,’ and walked back into the McMahon locker room. A few months later when Gewirtz had another weekend off, I delivered another RAW script to him on a PPV Sunday. And it was the same routine. He nonchalantly flipped through it and said, ‘Am I f***ing going over?’ This time, however, he was to lose his match via disqualification. He would keep his title. I said to him, ‘Well, sort of.’ Then Hunter froze. He said, ‘What do you f***ing mean, sort of?’ I said, ‘You lose the match via DQ, so you still keep the title.’, ‘What page?’ he growled. After I told Hunter the page number this occurred on, he ripped that page out, threw the rest of the script to the floor in a rage, and slammed the door in my face. Needless to say, the next day during the agents’ meeting, the script had somehow changed and now HHH won his match – cleanly. This was hardly an isolated incident.”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She’s told stories about how they mess around with each other on unrestricted. You are reading way too much into what you see on the wrestling show, where people pretend to try and kill each other every week.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes.

I’m pretty sure it was a combination of Nash being from Detroit (motor city) leading them to a car gimmick and trucks being big and powerful and powered by diesel.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The extra D is for drat that’s some really Badd Blood

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the first reply to the exact same question you’re answering

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember his first book being good and then the later ones progressively getting worse as fozzy happened, and his constant need to talk about how cool and drunk he was all the time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Well then good ol’ Drunkicho was unleashed and everybody stood up and clapped”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bartok posted:

Huh maybe I did read the second book too. I could have sworn he talks about the formation of Fozzy towards the end of the first book when he mentions he was getting burned out from WWF.

His first book literally ends with him walking out to cut a promo on the rock at his debut.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I either stopped in the third or fourth one, whichever one it is when he’s writing about WWE going to the middle east for USO shows or tribute to the troops or whatever it is they do out there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He allegedly used to swing with Bischoff and his wife if you wanna call that sleaze I guess, that’s about it as far as I can ever remember hearing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is backyard wrestling still a thing? Are there even enough teenagers who like wrestling to make it a thing?

Yeah and the rise of YouTube and social media has made it more common than ever because people love seeing idiot teens cripple themselves yarding.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wish I could remember which podcast it was on because it was loving years ago, Gallows tells an incredible story about meeting HTM at a company afterparty for mania one year.

The punchline is him saying something like “hell of a party they put on for us huh” and HTM’s reply was “This all comes out of your paycheque you loving mark”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

it was on talkn shop one of the best gallows stories ever

https://youtu.be/xLeSZ7LpIXA

Looks like it was one of the TIJ ‘hosted’ episodes. Say what you will about Gallows as a wrestler but man can he tell a story.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That indie guy who let his opponent cut his finger off with bolt cutters in a match a few weeks ago was behind the curve it turns out.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

The whom?

That seems dumb.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ CU6L4liAG4a/

I broke the link just in case it tried to embed, because it is a close up of a dudes finger with pieces missing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Who books NXT UK?

The main American WWE shows are becoming not just terrible but homogenously terrible, but NXT UK seems to still be putting on things that count as stories and angles, tying together pretty decent matches. Do we know who is currently booking it?

I’m pretty sure it’s Glen Joseph and Jim Smallman, the PROGRESS guys.

Part of their whole selling out process included office jobs at WWE.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can DM Penta on his instagram and he will sell you masks directly and call you bro repeatedly while making sure you definitely set that PayPal to friends and family, it’s the best way to buy them imho.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Another sex pest/nonce iirc.

Edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/hc3vxj/its_hard_to_share_this_but_chase_owens_is_yet/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Matt Cardona winning the GCW title is probably the angriest I’ve seen a crowd get in like a decade+

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I guess I just have a hard time imagining it getting heat because it's trolling so hard that it becomes extremely funny.

The crowd went apeshit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamCarl2005/status/1419146598035120134

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Live and in person indie wrestling is virtually always loving awesome no matter how crappy the work is, really.

I have seen some absolute dogshit and still had a great time, it’s more dependant on the crowd than anything to carry it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He basically just should have stayed gone so people would remember him as a good worker who was still a draw, rather than an old guy who came back and nobody cared after the first match.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of racism...

My random memory musings made me recall someone saying in the early 80's how "The Junkyard Dog ruled the South, making more money (and scoring more drugs-this part is irrelevant here) than anyone thought possible" and how Bill Watts in the 80's had a preference for taking a black face and building the company around him.

And considering the VERY LARGE CHASMS OF ROT that have become very clear the last several years, when most people realized racism wasn't a dying viewpoint whose outliers got a disproportionate amount of attention, but something that just went underground and hid its size until recent assholes told them they could come out and proudly be POS, I really do wonder how this worked in the South. Was it the equivalent of a minstrel show? Like, was the secret viewpoint "Look at the N***** pretend he's one of us, ha ha so entertaining, let's cheer him so he thinks he's accepted" or some weird psychological process like that? I mean, Watts basically got booted out of the business because he did an interview where he talked about how restaurant owners shouldn't have to serve black people if they don't want to, so I have a feeling he had some severely compartmentalized ideas about black wrestlers.

I just wonder how it worked, is all.

Black people like wrestling too and their money spends just as well as white people’s once you take it from them, is pretty much the long and the short of it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think I read somewhere they claimed 5000 in attendance for MLW this weekend, which seems like a hell of a number.

It was cross promoted with a Mexican promotion and in Mexico though so no idea how much of that if any at all would be because it’s MLW.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

To me a company ceases to be an indie when they are giving a significant portion of their wrestlers contracts and are not booking truly independent talent.

Yeah this is how I always saw it. If you’re contracting people and either locking them down or taking priority for their bookings (specifically by contract and not just because the wrestler likes working for you and chooses to do it themselves), you’re not an indie.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought Pillman Jr still has his mullet, the picture where he claimed to have cut it off was later revealed as a cleverly oriented ruse

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Adam Cole was a highlight on the first ever indie card I ever saw in a tiny little shithole of a venue, and although the memory is tainted because he wrestled a britwres sex pest I will always support him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I accidentally saw a few gifs of Japanese wresting here and elsewhere on the internet and now I wonder how to get into it (being part of the audience). Is there a YouTube channel with English subtitles or something of recent matches? Anything more obscure is probably too much for me, but asking never hurts! Thank you.

What did you like specifically, because Japanese wrestling is a land of contrasts from ridiculously silly entertainment comedy to hard faced serious business beating the living hell out of each other, and everything in between.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Has Tyler Breeze done any wrestling since getting released? I took a quick look at his Twitter and he hasn’t plugged any matches, and Wikipedia doesn’t have any career updates since his release.

He’s taking time off to heal up I think, he’s said he’s not in a great rush to get back in the ring on a couple of interviews. He runs a school with Shawn Spears too which probably scratches the itch for now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

When I see the words "Smackdown theme" all that goes through my mind is URRA-HURR-HURPA-GURR RURRA-HERPA-GURRA-DURR

It’s obviously WIBBLY WOO WOBBLY WOW WOBBLY WOBBLY WOBBLY WOW

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

0konner posted:

In some contexts I could see that being legit hilarious.

Nah it’s sexual assault

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You forgot that the fans boo the faces and cheer the heels! It’s Bizarro World Maggle!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Is there a meme or reference to something for the sign in the crowd that's just a frame with the middle cut out and says "Connecting..." around the border? I see it at just about every AEW show.

It’s a lovely zoom call joke because those are the height of comedy after 2 years of everyone living on zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

For awhile this forum was translating Tanahashi as saying the Forbidden Portal which is much cooler than Forbidden Door

I’m pretty sure NJPW’s own subtitles called it the forbidden portal when he first said it.

Edit:

News sites were also saying portal, and it seems like Jericho might have been the one to say door instead and that stuck I guess.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-taps-out-hiroshi-tanahashi-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-14-forbidden-portal-shut?amp

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 14, 2022