Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What's an offer match?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PublicOpinion posted:

My understanding is that it's a match showcasing talent from a different brand/show/promotion.

That makes sense given the context I've seen the words used. Thanks!

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 11, 2019

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Hogan drew a shitload of money.

Yep, there's a line in Dave Meltzer's autobiographical issue of the observer where he says the big turning point for his interest in pro-wrestling was understanding that the best wrestler was not winner of the match but the one who made people come back and spend more money.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Chikara! It was him vs Archibald Peck in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDw0ivvq9Nk

oof that throw into the stacked chairs could have gone so badly

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Do independent wrestling promotions also scope out storylines and plan matches and stuff? I feel like that would be harder when you are dependent on random indie wrestlers who may or may not be available. Are those matches real?

Here's a great documentary on a multi-year story line and feud in a independent promotion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgzRUaPiv0

Also check out Over The Top Wrestling's Starr vs. Devlin series.

In terms of realness, wrestling is pre-determined but there's a varying degree of pre-planning. The latest Kenny Omega interview with the Observer includes a moment where he says that in AEW the Young Bucks sometimes do a match "PWG Style" where they go in with the absolute barest of planning, just trusting in their knowledge of their characters and abilities to carry a match and spot opportunities. Zack Saber Jnr. is famous for calling the match "in ring" i.e. improvising. (As a side note: this seems to be the case for many technical/mat wrestlers, Josh Barnett is a big supporter of that improvisory style of wrestling and his Bloodsport events are designed to showcase it). On the other hand, I've heard that Luchadores are exacting pre-planners.

WWE typically have exacting rehearsals as shown in this Vice news article about leaked rehearsal footage:
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/43k9m9/wwe-hid-a-pre-show-rehearsal-to-youtube-a-glitch-exposed-it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Why are there heel commentators? It sucks to have hear a bad faith arguments over and over again.

Part of the reason I like AEW commentary is that it's basically a non-partisan focus on making what you're watching entertaining and understandable. (Except JR burying things he doesn't like, but even that feels better than supporting the villain).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Benne posted:

BROKE: Make a deal with NJPW

WOKE: Make a deal with Gatoh Move and put the belt on Lulupencil coward Tony

Run Ichigaya Chocolate Square, coward Tony :colbert:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Benne posted:

New Japan's current golden age was partly built off of pushing Tanahashi/Okada/Nakamura/Ibushi as heartthrob icons, which trickled down to the rest of the card, and as a result they have a very strong female fanbase despite not having a women's division.

More than that I've heard that the female NJPW fanbase can be pretty hostile to the idea of including women's wrestling into NJPW.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MJeff posted:

Two questions about COLT CABANA

1) Did he start the wrestling podcast boom?
2) Did he start Pro Wrestling Tees?

By all accounts, yes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Big Huski Boi posted:

Folks, I cancelled the WWE Network a couple months ago and am feeling like I should put that $9.99 toward another wrestling streaming service. Any suggestions? I already have NJPW World. I saw IndependentWrestling.tv actually has an Apple TV app, which is a huge plus for me, but I'm not super familiar with their content.

This comment is more to remind people that it exists but why not consider supporting the most unique Joshi wrestling company out there by subscribing to Gatoh Move Experience: https://gatohmovex.pivotshare.com/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is this promo the start of the Hangman Page "Cowboy poo poo" chants or did it start earlier?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MAlYPYIXQ

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

the Cowboy poo poo chants started immediately after he delivered a promo before Full Gear where he told Pac that he would be showing up to do some cowboy poo poo and knock his head off his shoulders

e: apparently that promo was after that video so yeah I guess that's where it started

I did some more digging and it looks like it's the promo after his match against Pac at Wrestlegate Pro before Double or Nothing that starts the Cowboy poo poo chants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRjs7WKmes

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

karmicknight posted:

The Cowboy poo poo promo was originally for the Jericho Match.

Either on BTE or a Road to... show. I think BTE where he pops his stitches from the Judas Effect.

jesus WEP posted:

I don’t think it was. I’m pretty sure it was on a Dynamite, because the following BTE had Chuckie complaining that he was allowed to say poo poo on TV

fez_machine posted:

I did some more digging and it looks like it's the promo after his match against PAC at Wrestlegate Pro before Double or Nothing that starts the Cowboy poo poo chants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRjs7WKmes

Timeline:
1. Hangman and PAC are booked for Double or Nothing in Las Vegas
2. PAC can't travel to the U.S. for Double or Nothing
3. PAC is booked at U.K. promotion Wrestlegate Pro but suddenly an unannounced Hangman appears to challenge
4. The have their Double or Nothing match at Wrestlegate Pro
5. Hangman cuts a promo saying how it's "Cowboy poo poo" to fly halfway around the world to wrestle for an indie promotion in the U.K just so that people can get the match that was advertised
6. Cowboy poo poo catches on as a chant in the building.
7. Hangman adds Cowboy poo poo to his twitter bio
8. People start responding to Hangman using #CowboyShit
9. After Double Fyter Fest/ The Young Bucks have their last indie match against Private Party at House of Glory
10. There's interference from the HoG heels but Hangman turns up unannounced to buckshot lariat them
11. Hangman cuts a promo saying it's "Cowboy poo poo" to fly halfway across the continent to wrestle for an indie promotion in N.Y. at a moment's notice
12. During his promo against Chris Jericho for All Out, Cowboy poo poo catches on in the building.
13. Hangman has an interview with Jim Ross leading up to All Out where he says "Cowboy poo poo" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5mBi2r2UQc (The famous stitches promo doesn't have Cowboy poo poo, but Blood and Guts instead)
14. At All Out, people no longer need to primed they're just chanting Cowboy poo poo straight from the entrance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmMg7ig_eo

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Do Japanese fans complain about Wrestling Observer Awards favoring western wrestlers as much as western fans complain about the Tokyo Sports awards favoring Japanese wrestlers?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
ah yes DDT the home of the GAY World Anal Championship was queerbaiting out of fear of explicit homosexuality

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I started watching wrestling regularly with AEW and decided to check out NXT from 2014/2015 since that was where a few AEW wrestlers made their name.

I'm sorry guys, it was always bad WWE product and only good in comparison to the wretched main roster poo poo.

The famous NXT crowd is annoying and antagonistic (which is fair because NXT refused to tinker with what wasn't working and instead just jobbed out unpopular wrestlers) when it's hot and completely dead when it isn't with basically no in between. I honestly hope that AEW and Covid manages to kill WWE/NXT crowd culture, (no more "This is awesome" or "1 fall" chants would be a dream).

The gimmicks suck when they aren't completely carried by the wrestler's natural charisma.

The matches are mostly so so and when they've got a good work rate they're still shot in the WWE style (better than Raw/Smackdown but still awful).

The commentary is the pits, inconsistent, bickering, loud, always has a heel commentator and barely any play-by-play.

In fact, this leads me to my question. What's the theory behind heel commentary? I know that Jesse Ventura was great at heeling and made it a lot of fun, but in the modern WWE it seems like the heel commentator just bickers with the rest of the booth, denies reality, and diminishes the product.

Why would you have a commentator who feels like their sole purpose in a match is to deny that a heel was cheating, y'know one of those things we're supposed to be mad at the heel for doing?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Benne posted:

Much like every other wrestling trope that WWE has ruined, heel commentators can still work when done well (see Jericho in AEW)

Even Jericho has noticeably toned down how much he heels while commentating.

The loud shouty full heel Jericho of the warehouse AEWs is almost gone.

And as for Taz on Dark, he's more of a jerk than a heel. You could hear the distaste in his voice when he felt he had to start adding in storyline opinions during commentary when he first started managing Brian Cage.

Now days, his heeling is largely confined to putting over his Team Taz guys.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 24, 2020

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Can someone explain Rossy Ogawa's place in Joshi wrestling? I'm new to Joshi and I knew he was the guy who started Stardom, but it turns out he had a major role in 90s AJW and the Big Egg Universe Show?

I thought AJW and Stardom had very different Joshi philosophies/styles but maybe I'm wrong.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blankspot posted:

I have a 71 year old father in law who I have gotten into professional wrestling the last few years. Hes mostly watched WWE content since it's easier to access without cable television.
I had him watch some AEW and he really enjoys it. He also reads a lot. Would the Young Bucks book be a good gift? Hes pretty conservative but does watch R movies. I dont want him to read any stories that could turn him off of AEW since they are such big parts.
I'm not sure what it would take to offend him I'm just worried it could. I mean he watches SmackDown every Friday and has only recently said it's bad so it takes a lot.

The Young Bucks are conservative Christians with a strong sense of personal and religious ethics but basically accepting of other people's differences, there's nothing in the book that's likely to offend.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm trying to get the timeline correct here, but did Emi Sakuara create the modern joshi wrestling template by founding Ice Ribbon?

I know Rossy was trying something similar with JDStar but Wikipedia makes it sound like a complete failure and Stardom starts a few years after Ice Ribbon.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Are there any other contenders for greatest heel stable/unit/faction other than NWO or Bullet Club?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I know that Kevin Dunn is blamed a lot but I see AEW's camera work leaning in that direction with some of it seen in the AEW women's tournament (Mei's missed Super Apple Punchin the six women's tag) and I'm wondering if it's an industry taught technique/trend/belief that they need to have quick camera cuts to display action(?) to the audience. Basically, why are there so many quick camera cuts in the WWE and AEW? Were they taught to do things, this way?

This is a guess but my best guess is that at some point someone went why can't the live tv show look like our exciting and energetic highlight packages and tv promos?

All the frenetic cutting and zooms works in a highlights package because it's set to music, you've got hindsight to select the best footage, and it's short so the editing style doesn't overstay it's welcome.

It kind of works live and it's got an energy to it but now you have to preplan all the spots to the tee, rather than finding the action, because otherwise you miss too much poo poo from switching around and your product is basically vertigo inducing when viewed for any length of time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Jamie Hernandez of Love and Rockets has been doing Luchadora comics since 1982

He's also got a book coming out later this year that compiles all his Luchadora drawings: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/coming-soon/products/queen-of-the-ring-wrestling-drawings-by-jaime-hernadez

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm very excited for Lulu Pencil's 100th match but Cage Match lists two different numbers for her:
1. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=21469&page=4 has 92 items listed
2. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=21469&page=22 has 91 matches in the match statistics

Which one is accurate?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TL posted:

How hands-on is WWE in the production of the foreign language feeds of their shows? Knowing how big Vince is on screaming in the ears of his announcers, is there anything in place to do the same to the other languages? Or, is there more emphasis on having it come across the way WWE wants it to on, say, the Hindi broadcast (being that India is a huge market for them) than the Russian one?

All I know is that Pumi from Gatoh Move does the Thai commentary for WWE, and from his photos, it doesn't seem like he's very produced at all. There are definitely some notes in Thai though.

https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/1379216839973040130/photo/1

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

davidbix posted:

From the April 2, 1990 issue of the Torch, transcribing a portion of a radio roundtable featuring Wade Keller, Dave Meltzer, Greg and Verne Gagne, and Eric Bischoff:

Meltzer: "The Frontier Martial Arts group."

It's surprising Dave hates deathmatch wrestling considering he's an FMW guy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Janela is unofficially their Scout the Indies for Talent guy. I suspect this is a big reason AEW grabbed so many Wrestlepro guys out of Jersey

By all accounts Britt has a better record as a scout, I think Will Hobbs is one of hers.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tampa Bae posted:

I haven't seen much japanese wrestling for a couple years so piggy-backing off the NJPW discussion have they started to re-build their Junior division or has that niche gone to other promotions?

I like the high energy stuff AEW has so if NJPW doesn't have that anymore which companies should I look into and which ones have easy streaming services I can pay for?

If you want high energy with a Japanese shindie feel Wrestle Universe also has the SHOUTING PROMOTION Ganbare Pro.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Watching this match there's a lot of mime to convey the story of the match, way more than you see in modern matches.

Why did mime die as a way of communicating to audience? Is there anyone who does it particularly well now days?

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 4, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
what is this tweet referring to?
https://twitter.com/UselessKnwldge/status/1436850263978127360

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The All Wheels Wrestling pilot can be watched here.

https://vimeo.com/74673748

holy poo poo why would anyone think this was a good idea

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think without AEW, wrestling over the next decade would look a lot like western comic books. Doing well overseas as a distinct form, especially in Japan, but in America almost completely parasitic on the largest but increasingly disinterested, ageing, and declining industry leader that established itself in the 60s and had a boom period in the 90s.

Lots of diversity at an indie level but nothing truly sustainable or non-exploitative of the talent. Altogether, slowly but surely on a trend towards almost total irrelevance as a business even if the pop cultural cache is much larger and enduring.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Who are the Raina Telgemeier, Dav Pilkey, Meredith Gran, John Lewis, Allie Brosch, Jeffrey Brown, Chris Ware, Allison Bechdel, Robert Kirkman, etc. of wrestling? Even if you're trying to restrict "western comic books" to Marvel and DC Superheroes And Absolutely Nothing Else, which is wild, you also have the equivalent of dozens of The Rocks finding success outside of WWE/Marvel, and the WWE has absolutely dominated film and television (along with a bunch of indie wrestlers doing well in those avenues as well).

Okay, I'll bite. I'm going to be inconsistent and drawing a long bow for an already stretched analogy.

When I said western comic books I meant the variety of mainstream and alt floppies and collections sold in comic book stores or at conventions/alt-comics meetings. The bookstore/YA/children's book market is very different, and largely doesn't convert people beyond wanting to become cartoonists/illustrators themselves. A very small percentage of that market is going to be seeking out Marvel/DC let alone Michael DeForge, Laura Lannes, Judge Dredd, unlicensed Dark Horse, or Love and Rockets.

One overarching analogy could be that the bookstore/children's comics market is like wrestling movies and tv series in that it creates some interest but on the whole doesn't seem successful in bringing people through the door. In my analogy webcomics and going to art school are like the proliferation of local indies and wrestling schools over the last decade of WWE dominance.

The simple fact is that the comic book store model is going to go out business sooner or later, except for some truly exceptional hold outs, and wrestling as a major force in American culture was slowly but surely going that way as well before AEW.

Some of these are going to be individuals and some are going to be promotions because as I said it's a stretched to the limit analogy.

Raina Telgemeir is Dave Bautista, insanely successful, but so far outside the traditional market that she does nothing to halt the decline.

Dav Pikey is Andy Kaufman, successful, a lot of people's first encounter with the form but you also have to ask is what he's making the real thing? See also Raina Telgemeir for being far outside the traditional market .

Meredith Gran is Brian Meyers, decent body of work but largely a teacher now days. Still working but the main project is in a different medium (podcasting for Meyers, point and click for Gran).

John Lewis is hard to do because politicians don't become wrestlers, wrestlers become politicians.

Allie Brosch. I don't know enough about to make a comparison/analogy.

Jeffrey Brown is like a lesser Chikara, influential but those he influenced became far more successful elsewhere and he produced less and less.

Chris Ware is PWG.

Allison Bechdel is GLOW. Critically acclaimed, culturally influential, but if you like what you saw there's no clear path to other things in the same vein.

Robert Kirkman/Sky Bound is Elite era ROH. A rising tide lifting all boats, genuinely brining people in to the fold, but it's hugely dependent on the outside success of a few individuals to maintain momentum and there's no clear replacement or successor.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 13, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think you invented a guy in your head.

I've never implied that anyone reading Y.A./bookstore comics is a fake comics fan. But I don't think they turn into people who read comics regularly for a sustained period of time, i.e. the type of people you need to establish a thriving infrastructure of consumption. Rather they read select authors and select subjects that just happen to be in comics form. The vast majority of people who watch action movies aren't turning up to film festivals. (Manga fans are different but that relies on a much healthier infrastructure in Japan to provide the content).

Comics exist everywhere but fewer and fewer people are able to live off making comics.

I've never mentioned any super hero comics, in fact I listed a bunch of comics authors who aren't superhero, but rely on traditional distribution and infrastructure to make money.

English language comics publishing is in a pretty dire state. Fantagraphics relies on its Disney and Peanuts licenses to exist. Drawn and Quarterly is funded by government grants. Short Box and Koyama press have shut up shop. There's also a tonne of the equivalent of money mark publishers who pop up for a few years pay a few big names money to make stuff and then disappear, just look at the entirety of Garth Ennis's post-Punisher career.

My point is the decline of traditional comic book stores/comic book conventions and alt-festivals = the decline of professional wrestling outside WWE in a world where AEW doesn't exist.

Sure there'll be hobbyists and exciting small promotions, maybe there'll be some breakout stars that go into a completely alternative revenue stream, but nobody outside the mega-corp will be making truly sustainable money.

Think about Women's Wrestling in the United States as it existed a decade ago for what a world where only a steadily declining WWE exists without stable competition would look like.

It's not if Dave Bautista started his own wrestling company would movie fans attend, it's do Dave Bautista's movie fans go and see WWE except when he turns up? Or even will they go to a GCW event or their local indie?

The big bucks gigs don't matter if the grass roots aren't growing. Doesn't matter how many people go to wrestling school, if there's no audience to pay and support them after they graduate.

also check this out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976364#post517694283

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 14, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Coach Taguchi

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Has there ever been like, a team based gauntlet match? Not sure what you'd call it, but basically like a King of Fighters video game. Two guys start, one guy wins and another member from the loser's team comes out to fight the winner, until all of one team is eliminated. Like a Survivor Series but without tags, you just replace guys as they lose in 1 on 1 contests. Has this happened in any kind of high profile federation?

I think you described a Lucha Cibernetico just without the tags:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torneo_cibernetico

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Poasty posted:

Is there a reason that never happened?

Just a very small talent pool to choose from. The original idea was that it was going to be a showcase for Joshi wrestling like the WCW Cruiserweight matches were a Lucha/Liger showcase. Local talent supporting a rotating cast of international workers. COVID put the kibosh on it.

Women's wrestling never truly managed to get further than a side show attraction or sexual titillation in the west after Moolah and Billy Wolfe slowly destroyed all of Mildred Burke's hard work until Shimmer, NXT, and the Women's Revolution (which current WWE is trying to reverse). So there's only about one generation deep of true talent and dedicated trainers at the moment and most of them either in Impact or WWE. Britt Baker, for example, was trained by Candice LeRae and Johnny Gargano. Most of the best women wrestlers in AEW were seasoned by trips to Japan. See Thunder Rosa being absolutely hopeless in Lucha Underground before she trained in MMA and went to TJPW.

This lack of talent in the west is compounded by the fact that women's wrestling in Japan basically died in 00s, despite some valorous attempts to save it, very slowly recovered over 10s, and even now when promotions have stopped shuttering left and right, exists in a fallen state. The Joshi dark ages were a large enough interruption that it's arguable whether the best of today reach the heights of prime All Japan Womens and its competitors in the 80s and 90s (some people love the 70s as well). Much of it available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFZKoc1UcDgdF6pDLevx3Q and here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32X24xrKsOcSs8v1SErk8g/videos

That's not to say there's no hope, particularly since AEW came around and values high level women's wrestling for its own sake.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 29, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

How would a union actually work in North American pro wrestling?

I pro-union and know the benefits of being unionized, but with the indies / smaller-tier national feds / WWE + AEW and the way wrestlers move between them, how would it go about benefiting its members? Would be like the Actor's / Screenwriter's Guild?

While not North American, the All-Parliamentary Group had a significant portion about a potential professional organisation of promoters/wrestlers: https://www.alexdaviesjones.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/833/2021/04/new-appg-wres_compressed.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did anyone from AEW ever talk more about the issue of unions? I only ask because I remember reading comments when it first started that hinted that they would be leaning in that direction, but I was sceptical for the obvious reasons. I understand that they've helped a number of workers privately.

Cody, if I recall a very distant interview/tweet right, is anti-union or believes it unnecessary at AEW