Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
is there anyone stronger than roderick strong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kim Justice, while doing more game videos, has done some recent stuff on Misawa and Brock Lesnar's IWGP run that are quite good too

Both of those excellent videos were removed due to copyright infringements :argh:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what's the story behind this weird poo poo

https://twitter.com/kingkhristen/status/1162902743834595329?s=20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the commentator is better than anybody in the wwe right now

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lol @ heyman retconning ECW history so that 'Stone Cold' was in a championship match and not just Steve Austin

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Big Show's gimmick should've been 'yelling things at the crowd.' I also remember him yelling IM A GIANT at one point.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Gavok posted:

One of the top Big Show moments is when he was cutting a promo about how much he wanted to punch Triple H in the face and his eyes started bulging out of his skull in a completely inhuman way. After that I started fan-casting him as the Heavy for if they ever make a Team Fortress movie.

was it this

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We know that Ambrose was scripted to say something so bad about Roman's real-life illness that he refused to say it.

Also wasn't there some sort of pseudo-incest angle with Paul Burchill and Katie Lea or am I remembering that wrong?

edit: Prichard's mentioned on his podcast that you want to be careful mentioning stupid ideas to Vince because even if its 3am and you're all tired and just want the meeting to end there's a chance he'll say I LOVE IT and suddenly your stupid idea that you said out of desperation/boredom is on international TV.

Seams fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 19, 2019

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the beaver cleavage angle got even worse because it devolved into a shoot angle (bad) and then into an angle about false domestic violence allegations (absolute dogshit). Russo’s original idea of “she’s a 50s housewife with big boobs lol” was somehow better

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Wrestlers should scream the name of their finishing move as loud as possible when they do it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

AkumaHokoru posted:

there were rumors about TLC but not destiny's child

dunno why you would say this when you can see the rumour right there :smug:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it was around the time of this interview

https://youtu.be/_asxsa7Yicw

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It would be pretty funny to see WWE wrestlers attempt a slowdown in the form of intentionally having bad matches or something. (they've been trying this for years though! etc etc).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I remember a time when he was Tyler Black all the way through I guess his first injury where everyone thought Seth Rollins was the best. A lot of people were even thrilled that he was the one to turn on the Shield. So what happened? I know he injured a bunch of people, including retiring Sting. And apparently he was dating a neo-Nazi? I'm just curious as to how everyone is on the "gently caress Rollins" train now, not that I disagree.

After The Shield turn Seth became a whiny bootlicker both in storyline and real life, Ambrose became a wacky prop comic jobber and Reigns was The Guy until he wasn't, then he was The Guy again, then he wasn't, then he was, and now nobody cares.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hate any move that looks like it hurts the guy doing it more than who they’re doing it to. Hated Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash for this reason.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Shield. Each member complemented the other and it’s no surprise they all seemed like lesser versions of themselves when they disbanded.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cornette thinks that if you pop out out of a box you’re immediately over

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

I can't believe I keep being surprised by how incredibly petty they are.

Especially because he’s not even going by Dean Ambrose in AEW .

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what about that time big show turned face

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't remember it very well but there was an episode of RAW with HHH berating Cody and Ted. Everyone was begging them to just lay into HHH right there and they just.. didn't.

Speaking of, was Ted salvageable? I'm sure they expected him to be his father without the ten years of indie experience he had and you can't really make that up. I vaguely recall he had a legit glass jaw which amuses me.

I think it was Orton. Part of the legacy angle.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Okada is like Bret in that he doesn’t do anything crazily spectacular but everything he does do is so smooth and perfect.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
When people say such-and-such is a mark for them self, doesn’t that just mean they know their own value as a performer?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
from a cursory youtube search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHWGK801Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjz-bbvjGQ

Doesn't look like there's much more.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
John Cena never wore the shirt

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Somebody please explain Lex Luger’s career trajectory to me. He seems like the prototypical WWE guy (giant muscle man etc) yet he came from the Crockett/NWA promotions and while he worked for WWE for a bit he never won a single title there. Seems very odd.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BrigadierSensible posted:

Completely unrelated, and possibly stupid, thought:

Given how many ex-wrestlers become commentators, (Ventura, Heenan, Graves, Zybysko, Taz, Excalibur etc.), to various degrees of success.

Of current wrestlers, who do people think would make good commentators post retirement? Would they be able to use their wrestling characters/personae, or would they change? Or maybe use their real life personalities?

I would posit Cody Rhodes, Big E, MJF as obvious ones. A left field option would be Zack Ryder. I reckon his boyish enthusiasm, and obvious charisma would go well as a babyface colour commentator.

If they work for Vince? None of them.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
pretty amazing that HHH didn't politic himself into retiring flair

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Come to think of it, why was HBK the guy who Flair had his last match with anyway?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Probably because it ensured it would be a good match.

Oh for sure it's just that when I think of guys who Flair had a history with, HBK doesn't exactly spring to mind. Looking at the rest of the WM 24 card though it's hard to see who else could've replaced Shawn other than HHH who as Breitbart is Rightbart said already had a match.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That's the Betsy Ross flag and buddy they wont even let me gently caress it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Prichard is the closest thing we have to Vince going on the record about stuff so if you keep that in mind you can tell when he's lying

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am watching the latest Zack and Curt Wrestling Figures podcast, and they open with a in memoriam for Howard Finkel, and Gallows and Anderson said they will stop doing their parody of him because they loved and respected him so much. Adding to that the grief and respect shown by fans.

So he was clearly "well liked backstage"(tm) as well being loved and respected by fans.

This got me thinking, who was the opposite? As in, who was a big, famous wrestling star who when they died the response was "good, gently caress that guy!" from either the wrestlers who knew/worked with him and/or the fans?

And a similar question, who do you think will be that guy when they eventually pop their clogs? I can't see many people crying real tears for Hogan when "god lays some heavy poo poo on him".

If Ultimate Warrior had croaked a few years earlier the narrative would’ve been much different. Lucky for him he became an offical WWE Legend right before his death so according to WWE he was Always Good

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s on every Wednesday on TNT

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Depends what you mean by “after”. Right after, during Austin’s face run? Probably none. After a distraction, chair-shot, ref bump and whatever other bullshit they use to protect Austin and whoever he was feuding with? Probably lots.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yeah you had to hear Vince scream THE MOST CHARISMATIC SUPERSTAR IN THE WWF !!! In his over the top promo voice every single Shawn match which would get old quick

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I haven’t watched anything other than short clips here and there. AEW are doing the best they can especially compare to WWE but even with a few people ringside it still feels so dead and lifeless.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bret's blessing and curse is that he takes himself and wrestling far more seriously than the business or the people he works for deserve. It made him on of the absolute all-time greats but it also clouds his judgment on many things.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
You might say Owen Hart was no angel...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The short-lived tag team of Kofi and Punk was nicknamed High and Dry by the internet, but never the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Barely showing up and not trying when you do? Sid’s a drat hero.

Also for the longest time I though people were using “softball” to insinuate something else but I guess it just meant literally playing softball.