Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dash up Gold Burst into Orca got hella nerfed… what will I do now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I-no caught a bunch of nerfs in exchange for her new special, which admittedly seems like a pretty good move

I really hope that combined with the new special mechanic doesn't actually leave her worse off :psyduck: especially with the new defensive mechanic thing

It's sort of hard to tell though because the game is going to be very different as a whole.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Dash up Gold Burst into Orca got hella nerfed… what will I do now :(

Dash up gold burst into a non-stop love song I will follow yoooouuuu where ev-er you go. IIIIII can't wait to catch up before the sun sleeps (not if you're short of breath) I'm the di-sas-ter of pass-sion.

have her song override whatever the bgm is whenever you're comboing johnny

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wait why did they buff Nago and Jack-o? Or at least it sort of sounds like it?

Man this is definitely an arcsys patch I guess lmao

How do we tell which wild assault a character got? Or is that not in the notes? It seems like WA 1 is pretty clearly the best unless your character really needs a reversal. WA 2 sounds pretty bad unless the guard crush is really good, though I guess you can cancel it into specials so that might be ok?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

How do we tell which wild assault a character got? Or is that not in the notes? It seems like WA 1 is pretty clearly the best unless your character really needs a reversal. WA 2 sounds pretty bad unless the guard crush is really good, though I guess you can cancel it into specials so that might be ok?

WA2 definitely sounds like a Big Body thing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Using WA in combo notation is gonna make everyone sound like Wario

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I am a certified Bad Player™, and most of the Sol changes feel like they're reinforcing stuff I picked up by intuition trying to work my way up from a total novice. Removing Counter hit from Bandit Revolver doesn't feel like it will affect my gameplan too much, because I was mostly using it as a combo link rather than to close distance or fish for counters. Off the top of my head, my counters usually come from j.S, classic runup c.S, or Night Raid Vortex. After the early patch where they converted Bandit Revolver to a 2-hit rekka, everybody's combo videos made it pretty obvious that it was supposed to be a combo link more than anything else. I have had a bad habit throughout the game's life of using Night Raid Vortex as a default space-closing option, even though it's easily countered in most circumstances, but I have managed to mostly (though not entirely) train myself out of this habit during my last 2 or 3 runs at the game. Buffing its damage bails my rear end out if anything. The buff to aerial Bandit Bringer definitely feels like a subtle nudge to approach through the air more often, and likewise the buff to Fafnir is an encouragement for me to use it more consistently.

That said, I'm curious about how this will change the pacing of the game. I've said before that the rapid pace of matches is what makes me love Strive over SF6. If I'm going to lose, I lose fast and it's on to the next round. If I land a solid combo and/or get a wall break, I'm not that far off from clinching the round, usually one more interaction away. Whereas in a lot of similar situation in SF6, I feel like I'm often still looking at half the opponent's lifebar to get through. So if more defensive options results in a slower pace, it might end up feeling like they're giving up on their main effort to make the game approachable. Hard to tell yet, but if that's the case, it paints their stubbornness about the matchmaking in a even worse light. I'm neutral on it, although I do get frustrated when I sit in training mode for long stretches on a relatively unpopulated floor, but it seems like it's most peoples' sticking point for continuing to play after SF6 dropped. And the SF6 matchmaking is smooth as butter, even if I don't prefer the gameplay.

Ultimately, though, maybe I will like more defensive options and a slower pace, if it keeps me from having flatly embarrassing bouts of gamer rage whenever I get blendered by too many Axls, Bridgets, or well-played HCs in a row. More than anything, that's why I have to put the game down for months at a time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was blown away the first time I saw someone say strive rush instead of wild assault and now I'll never call it anything else

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/negisuke649/status/1694661397928714308

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
That's cool but isn't that something lots of characters can do

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's cool but isn't that something lots of characters can do

weirdly yeah, but it still looks really funny imo

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So apparently Anji got a really cool new tool in Midare, and now he's looking a lot better with that plus the new global mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF37caGVq4M

I barely play Strive but I like following along with updates. Game is looking a lot stronger now!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
amji nito

I'll need to give that a watch before I drag my friends back to Strive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anji looks good now very impressed

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Haven't played in ages but the new changes and Johnny got me wanting to come back and scrub it up.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_UW5i01FQ

I can't get over how good Johnny's new theme is

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Infernot posted:

I can't get over how good Johnny's new theme is
I have been listening to it all day because about 90% of people I fought online today were playing as him. No complaints though, because the theme rips!! (and everyone playing a new character meant I was able to scam my way into Floor 10 despite not playing for three months :getin:)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holy crap, doing wild assault into close slash then hover dashing out of the close slash makes I-no go insanely fast

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Got some matches in - I like Midare but it's gonna take a bit to get used to. I feel like I need to lab out what I can get with wild assault but man that seems fun.

i'm also afraid i want to learn asuka. the magic boy is kinda fun, even though i spent those matches just staring down at my resources.

e: watching that anji video and cheering as wild assault lets Anji convert a distant f.S into a full combo

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 25, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/HomeDepotemkin/status/1694934677658775725

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I was wondering why Potemkin was King of Hearts since he's not the actual leader of Zepp until someone pointed out in the replies

Ah.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bridget :unsmith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ignore sol badguy

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sol is one giant Queen reference though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the whole joke with sol getting queen is that, the band. otherwise everyone who gets queen is a girl, including bridget. its pretty clear whats going on there

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I-No's new move is pretty interesting. It's actually really good at converting in combos, but it weirdly doesn't feel super great as a mixup tool. If you get a counter hit you get a huge reward, but it's pretty slow compared to just a hoverdash overhead and if it hits you don't really get too much without an RC

It's definitely not a bad move or anything, I think it's going to take some time to figure out where it fits.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
johnny says trans rights

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've been playing the hell out of Xrd for a month or so, and now I gotta come back and learn this game all over again.

RIP to the Youzansen change making it so I can't TK Youzansen people 4 times in a row cuz they won't stand up

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lmao the usuals are still bitching about johnny validating bridget as trans.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
It's funny to me that Johnny's outfit has basically not changed at all over his iterations. I think because they knew they got it right the first time around.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-11-2020/wQhWRz.mp4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dhamster posted:

It's funny to me that Johnny's outfit has basically not changed at all over his iterations. I think because they knew they got it right the first time around.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-11-2020/wQhWRz.mp4

tbf the beard alt is cool

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tae posted:

Ignore sol badguy
The context is a bit scuffed because the image maker messed up - Sol's supposed to have the default male "Up your game" quote (thus being the only one with a Queen card who does, since it's a Queen the band reference rather than the other Queens that are all for the girls).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Someone just rage quit on me to deny me my final win for the celestial challenge :negative:

Normally rage quits are just funny, but I gotta admit, that one hurt. It was on a nice combo into super for the wall break to kill too

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Someone just rage quit on me to deny me my final win for the celestial challenge :negative:

Normally rage quits are just funny, but I gotta admit, that one hurt. It was on a nice combo into super for the wall break to kill too

This happened to me once and then I went and lost my next two games. Wasn't a good night.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Got it on the next set though!

That was my original goal for playing ranked, so I think I'll probably just move to the park and run sets/find people from discord to beat me to improve

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am still stuck on floors 8-10. I can’t hang with the people i nthe park long enough to make it. Not adapting fast enough.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Annointed posted:

I am still stuck on floors 8-10. I can’t hang with the people i nthe park long enough to make it. Not adapting fast enough.

Ive slowly been scrabbling out of this exact rut for a while, and the best practice is when Im deliberately trying to do new sequences or hyperfocus on stuff in neutral that I typically ignore, even when I drop combos and gently caress up and get my rear end kicked (which is often)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Another pro tip is to stop at floor 10 then stay in the park forever, that way everyone is tricked into thinking youre somewhat okay at the game

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've started trying out Jack-o and as someone stuck on floors 7-8 normally, my success rate is even more fluctuating than normal. She's a lot harder to learn how to use when everyone is flailing around, but it also means I occasionally look big brained when I mash buttons in the corner like my life depends on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll climb up to floor 10, get slapped around, downranked to 7, then head to the park and get my rear end kicked for 20 games and dont leave until the other person gets tired of it. I do feel like I learn something from each of those long sets.

Early month, the tower is full of temporarily embarrassed celestial players so i'll see someone with that badge, level 900, in floor 8 because they feel the need to slap around some casuals. It sucks.