Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

hey yobbos what you been reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

me personally, ive been reading a book called anna karenina. im just started part 2 and boy this vronsky dude is a real peace of work if you ask me. i need more of my dude levin and his alcoholic communist brother.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

lost my old email

i read a short story collection by chekov in english translation. i think i read it before a while ago. the "chekov's gun" story kid was being a bit of a drama queen tbh

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

lost my old email

also pls live blog anna karenina as u find convenient

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

nut

I started the dead father by donald barthelme yesterday and i think i like but im dumb and its confusing for me but good confusing

beer pal

is it weird in structure? wikipedia calls it a 'post modern' novel. ive never read one of those

lost my old email

beer pal posted:

is it weird in structure? wikipedia calls it a 'post modern' novel. ive never read one of those

read infinite jest it is long but it is basically the finest young adult novel ever written

lost my old email

except for that animorphs where they turn into ants

nut

beer pal posted:

its unstructured enough that it is tough to always know who is talking and there's a lot of inconsistency in how characters act but in a very funny yob way imo

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Last book I read was The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. Even for early Wolfe (I think it was his first "official" novel), the pieces and hallmarks of his style are already apparent. The puzzlebox narrative structure, the unreliable narrators, it's great and if you're looking for a more philosophical/slow burn read I highly recommend it. I'm trying to read through his bibliography since he just passed away not too long ago.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

magic cactus posted:

Last book I read was The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. Even for early Wolfe (I think it was his first "official" novel), the pieces and hallmarks of his style are already apparent. The puzzlebox narrative structure, the unreliable narrators, it's great and if you're looking for a more philosophical/slow burn read I highly recommend it. I'm trying to read through his bibliography since he just passed away not too long ago.

I really like his book "The Sorceror's House." It's about a guy who gets out of jail and then moves into an abandoned house that may have belonged to a sorceror. It's a lot of fun. The story is told completely through letters sent and received from the guy living in the house and as is common with Wolfe's books, you start to get the feeling early on that what's being written isn't necessarily the entire story.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

me personally, ive been reading a book called anna karenina. im just started part 2 and boy this vronsky dude is a real peace of work if you ask me. i need more of my dude levin and his alcoholic communist brother.

hells fuckin yeah

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

Jolo posted:

I really like his book "The Sorceror's House." It's about a guy who gets out of jail and then moves into an abandoned house that may have belonged to a sorceror. It's a lot of fun. The story is told completely through letters sent and received from the guy living in the house and as is common with Wolfe's books, you start to get the feeling early on that what's being written isn't necessarily the entire story.

I liked the sequel, The Witches Apartment, about a guy getting an AirBnB but it turns out that the owner of the apartment is a witch.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

bee eater posted:

I started the dead father by donald barthelme yesterday and i think i like but im dumb and its confusing for me but good confusing

don b. whips rear end and "good confusing" is a good description of him, but, imo, the novel was not really his form. you need to be able to take breaks. his short stories are some of the best ever though and some of them are very byob.

----------------

beer pal

i keep getting myself spoiled on the 140 year old book. like im just looking up so i can keep straght which of the dozen charachters each with three different names and a nickname is which and im seeing like kitty (wife of levin ) ...buh??? wife of levin???

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

cda posted:

I liked the sequel, The Witches Apartment, about a guy getting an AirBnB but it turns out that the owner of the apartment is a witch.

H.P. Lovecraft wrote exactly this story lol

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

cda

by Hand Knit
i'm reading many things. i just finished The Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon, which paints the world of West Indian immigrants living in London in the 1950s. it was very entertaining and well-written, but if you don't like regressive sexual politics watch out because there's a lot of casual misogyny in it (which was probably accurate to the time and place and is used in thematically complex, if ultimately tolerant-of-misogyny ways. it didn't bother me, but it might bother some).

Before that I read Voyage in the Dark by Jean Rhys which is maybe a work of genius? I'm hesitatnt to call it that because then maybe someone will pop in and make fun of me for saying that. But it is really really good. The writing is phenomenal. It's super-depressing though. It's about a young white woman from Dominica who moves to London and then her life falls apart. It was started in 1914 and finished and published in 1934 but the writing style is fresh as a daisy.

Both of the above books are fairly short so if you want to read something good and short, you could read them.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

don b. whips rear end and "good confusing" is a good description of him, but, imo, the novel was not really his form. you need to be able to take breaks. his short stories are some of the best ever though and some of them are very byob.

you can read some don b short stories for free here: http://jessamyn.com/barth/

my favorites are:

me and miss mandible
glass mountain
the balloon
the school

but they are all good, event eh ones i haven't read

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

trying to crush all of borges shorts, thne onto poetry i think

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

google THIS

Should I read books y/n?

Heather Papps

hello friend

google THIS posted:

Should I read books y/n?

Y

Dungeon Ecology

im reading “how to change your mind”
its about drugs

beer pal

cda posted:

you can read some don b short stories for free here: http://jessamyn.com/barth/

my favorites are:

me and miss mandible
glass mountain
the balloon
the school

but they are all good, event eh ones i haven't read

[Miss Mandible] is worried about the excellence of my themes. Have I, she asks, been receiving help? For an instant I am on the brink of telling her my story. Something, however, warns me not to attempt it. Here I am safe, I have a place; I do not wish to entrust myself once more to the whimsy of authority. I resolve to make my themes less excellent in the future.

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

[Miss Mandible] is worried about the excellence of my themes. Have I, she asks, been receiving help? For an instant I am on the brink of telling her my story. Something, however, warns me not to attempt it. Here I am safe, I have a place; I do not wish to entrust myself once more to the whimsy of authority. I resolve to make my themes less excellent in the future.

- Frank Herbert

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
just realized Iain Banks totally ripped off Sleepaway Camp today, wtf

also spoilers, don’t read my posts if you haven’t read the book [spoilers] seriously just don’t read my posts[/spoilers]

HP = fine art itt

Escape From Noise

Most recently I read The Stranger.

I'm reading Libra by Don Delillo at the moment. May take another stab at Gravity's Rainbow after that.

Escape From Noise

The Key by Junichiro Tanizaki is a great novel with TWO unreliable narrators.

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh yeah stormlight archives are very good just finished oathbringer a few weeks ago

Jolo

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

The Key by Junichiro Tanizaki is a great novel with TWO unreliable narrators.

Books like this are incredibly frustrating. With a backup narrator you would hope to not get to a chapter without any narration but if they're both unreliable then dang. Reading the book like, "what the hell yall, are we still in Narnia or are we standing in front of the wardrobe? is this Aslan speaking here or one of these goofy kids? where da witch at? "

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Escape From Noise

Jolo posted:

Books like this are incredibly frustrating. With a backup narrator you would hope to not get to a chapter without any narration but if they're both unreliable then dang. Reading the book like, "what the hell yall, are we still in Narnia or are we standing in front of the wardrobe? is this Aslan speaking here or one of these goofy kids? where da witch at? "

The central premise makes it a bit easier to understand. It's basically the story of an elderly couple in post war Japan told from the perspective of both of their journal entries, which they both know the other is reading on the sly. It's also relatively short. I dunno. I really enjoyed it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

every narrator is unreliable, even a third person omniscient narrator has the implied goal of telling an interesting story.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

every narrator is unreliable, even a third person omniscient narrator has the implied goal of telling an interesting story.

i love magical realism tho so.....
:negative:

Jolo

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

The central premise makes it a bit easier to understand. It's basically the story of an elderly couple in post war Japan told from the perspective of both of their journal entries, which they both know the other is reading on the sly. It's also relatively short. I dunno. I really enjoyed it.

I was just making a goof about neither narrator showing up for a chapter because they're both unreliable. Or like one narrator shows up but he leaves his punctuation in the car and then all of a sudden one chapter reads like a Cormac McCarthy novel.,

Heather Papps

hello friend

Jolo posted:

I was just making a goof about neither narrator showing up for a chapter because they're both unreliable. Or like one narrator shows up but he leaves his punctuation in the car and then all of a sudden one chapter reads like a Cormac McCarthy novel.,

new thread, now, please. this fuckin' owns

e: one chapter is like chunks of blank space with the dialouge occasionally there, but no commentary by the narrator

Escape From Noise

Jolo posted:

I should have known! Arggggg!

Android Blues

i just finished bad feminist by roxane gay. good collection of essays, really human and moving. gay clearly cares intensely about fiction, and i was pleased and surprised how much of the book was her commenting critically on something she'd recently read or watched, with the kind of attention you only get from someone who truly gives a hoot about stories

Macnult

i've almost finished my 'books i should've read awhile back' list that i started earlier this summer but it has started to lose traction. i finished infinite jest, moved on to house of leaves, then still life with woodpecker, slaughterhouse-five, and now i'm on camus' the plague.

out of that list, the order i've read them matches up with my favorite to least favorite. slaughterhouse-five was okay, but a bit of a downer (for obvious reasons) and is my least favorite vonnegut book. i enjoy vonnegut's sarcastic tone but there's (understandably) a lot of bitterness behind it in sh-5. the plague is also a downer, also for obvious reasons, but i really enjoy camus' style of writing so it's not *too* painful. the next book on my list is catch-22 which i've heard nothing but good things about, but after slaughterhouse-five i'm kind of tired of the war genre

i think i'm also just kinda tired of white male authors tbh

Escape From Noise

Macnult posted:

i've almost finished my 'books i should've read awhile back' list that i started earlier this summer but it has started to lose traction. i finished infinite jest, moved on to house of leaves, then still life with woodpecker, slaughterhouse-five, and now i'm on camus' the plague.

out of that list, the order i've read them matches up with my favorite to least favorite. slaughterhouse-five was okay, but a bit of a downer (for obvious reasons) and is my least favorite vonnegut book. i enjoy vonnegut's sarcastic tone but there's (understandably) a lot of bitterness behind it in sh-5. the plague is also a downer, also for obvious reasons, but i really enjoy camus' style of writing so it's not *too* painful. the next book on my list is catch-22 which i've heard nothing but good things about, but after slaughterhouse-five i'm kind of tired of the war genre

i think i'm also just kinda tired of white male authors tbh

I really like Slaughterhouse Five, I think it was the first Vonnegut I read. Catch 22 reminded me a lot of it, but a bit more...loopy? I dunno. I enjoyed both a lot.

I really liked The Stranger so I would love to read The Plague, but I also like depressing books a lot.

nut

my dad got me catch 22 when i was like 12 and it was solely responsible for me watching mash marathons throughout p much my whole teens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
I'm not a fan of Catch-22. It starts strong but then goes slack in the middle and really wanders. I think it's one of those books where when people are done with it all they remember are the good parts and not the stretches of filler.

My favorite Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle which is bitterer than Slaughterhouse 5 I think but I dunno I could be convinced otherwise.