Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

cda posted:

I'm not a fan of Catch-22. It starts strong but then goes slack in the middle and really wanders. I think it's one of those books where when people are done with it all they remember are the good parts and not the stretches of filler.

My favorite Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle which is bitterer than Slaughterhouse 5 I think but I dunno I could be convinced otherwise.

I liked the filler in Catch-22. I guess I thought the meandering added to the overall feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

cda posted:

I'm not a fan of Catch-22. It starts strong but then goes slack in the middle and really wanders. I think it's one of those books where when people are done with it all they remember are the good parts and not the stretches of filler.

My favorite Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle which is bitterer than Slaughterhouse 5 I think but I dunno I could be convinced otherwise.

east of eden is one of my favourite books ever and that speaks to my love for comfortable in betweens i think

Escape From Noise

He can be fairly hard to digest for some but I'm a massive fan of Kobo Abe. I've read every novel of his that's been translated into English and I think that The Box Man and Face of Another are probably my favorites. His most well known novel is probably Woman In the Dunes, which is a VERY slow burn, but I also enjoy it.

He gets compared to Kaufka a lot and most of the time the main theme is alienation in modern society even while surrounded by people.

nut

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

He can be fairly hard to digest for some but I'm a massive fan of Kobo Abe. I've read every novel of his that's been translated into English and I think that The Box Man and Face of Another are probably my favorites. His most well known novel is probably Woman In the Dunes, which is a VERY slow burn, but I also enjoy it.

He gets compared to Kaufka a lot and most of the time the main theme is alienation in modern society even while surrounded by people.

I read Woman in the Dunes and really liked it! Yeah, slow but great and very whimsical in a scary way

Macnult

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I really liked The Stranger so I would love to read The Plague, but I also like depressing books a lot.

The Stranger was fantastic. The Plague is “eh” but i also read The Fall earlier this year so i may just be tiring myself of his works.

cda posted:

that’s exactly what i’m worried about happening w/r/t Catch-22. i’ll still give it a shot, i only have like 100 pages left in The Plague

i enjoyed Cat’s Cradle a lot. what keeps me from agreeing that it’s bitterer than Slaughterhouse-Five is Vonnegut’s background as a prisoner of war. i dunno, i prefer goofy vonnegut, so either Timequake or Breakfast of Champions are my favorites of his

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
i am reading a book of folk tales, here is the ending to one of them:

quote:

Just then an angry serpent, coming up like a flash of lightning, bit him on the heel. He gave a cry, fell to the ground, and instantly swelled up like a barrel. The serpent, leaping upon him, snatched out his eyes, and he died.

This serpent was no other than Joy's sister. Joy, who was with child and whose time had arrived, gave birth on the spot to a son.

A great crowd gathered to see the master of the chateau dead, for he was the terror of the countryside and no one regretted his demise -- quite the contrary. And they besought Joy's father not to have the child baptized but to kill it immediately. Naturally they feared that if they let the infant live, he would be like his father. So he was killed.

When this was done, the people cried, "The serpent which killed the tyrant ought to be baptized, for there must have been some magic or witchcraft mixed up in what she did." But the priests refused to give baptism to a serpent.

If the master of the chateau had slain Joy, as was his intention, that would have been his twelfth; and in slaying twelve, he would have slain twenty-four, for all were with child. Then he would have become a sorcerer, but God did not permit it.

he was so close, too :(

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Bonaventure posted:

He would have become a sorcerer, but God did not permit it.

Put this on my gravestone, thanks very much.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

nut

i know a certain good book ok i'll see myself out thank you

Heather Papps

hello friend

i liek dunes

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I am reading short story book The Tokyo-Montana Express by also novelist and poet Richard Brautigan

I like it

beer pal

whereas dune is a claustrophobic thriller where the protagonists are menaced by just a single dune, the sequel, dunes, has us on the dunes' home turf, surrounded by dunes on all sides

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

nut

referee: there's nothing in the rules that says a dune can't play football

Heather Papps

hello friend

beer pal posted:

whereas dune is a claustrophobic thriller where the protagonists are menaced by just a single dune, the sequel, dunes, has us on the dunes' home turf, surrounded by dunes on all sides

brothers of dunes is my fave, honestly, the epigrams are so thoughtful

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

referee: there's nothing in the rules that says a dune can't play football

there is however a rule about entrance into the footballers guild and no dog has survived the water of gator, ever before.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

beer pal posted:

We're gonna need a bigger boat dunebuggy.

-Quiznos Cadillac

Jolo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Escape From Noise

A Confederacy of Dunces is definitely a favorite of mine. I read through it so quickly despite its length. I gave the book to my mom who always says she isn't a reader and was really put off by the page count, but she ended up loving it too.

Also for short stories I love Raymond Carver.

Macnult

beer pal posted:

lol

lost my old email

Bonaventure posted:

quote:

Message Post History Rap SheetAlert Moderators Quote
Bonaventure

i am reading a book of folk tales, here is the ending to one of them:

[quote]
Just then an angry serpent, coming up like a flash of lightning, bit him on the heel. He gave a cry, fell to the ground, and instantly swelled up like a barrel. The serpent, leaping upon him, snatched out his eyes, and he died.

This serpent was no other than Joy's sister. Joy, who was with child and whose time had arrived, gave birth on the spot to a son.

A great crowd gathered to see the master of the chateau dead, for he was the terror of the countryside and no one regretted his demise -- quite the contrary. And they besought Joy's father not to have the child baptized but to kill it immediately. Naturally they feared that if they let the infant live, he would be like his father. So he was killed.

When this was done, the people cried, "The serpent which killed the tyrant ought to be baptized, for there must have been some magic or witchcraft mixed up in what she did." But the priests refused to give baptism to a serpent.

If the master of the chateau had slain Joy, as was his intention, that would have been his twelfth; and in slaying twelve, he would have slain twenty-four, for all were with child. Then he would have become a sorcerer, but God did not permit it.

turns out that things like character and context are counterfeit money passed off by coward hacks who don't know how to write :krad: magical snake stories

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

beer pal

i knew this mf vronsky was gonna get his horse killed

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dungeon Ecology

a confederacy of dunes

Heather Papps

hello friend

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

HERBERTS OF DUNE - FRANK HERBERT

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
all this happened long ago when the chickens
had teeth and could bite like the dickens

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

this is genius ilu

beer pal

beer pal

rankings near the end of part 2:

#1 - the timid & pensive konstantin levin, caught between two worlds
#2 - the young kitty, reinventing herself after her formative first heartbreak
#3 - troubled class traitor nikolai levin
#4 - dolly
#5 - the scornful and desparate anna k
#6 - alexei alexandrovich, hiding himself behind courtly properness
#7 - the self centered hedonist stiva
#8 - levins dog laska
#9 - vronsky's horse frou-frou, may she rest in peace
#20 - the scoundrel vronsky

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

rankings near the end of part 2:

#1 - the timid & pensive konstantin levin, caught between two worlds
#2 - the young kitty, reinventing herself after her formative first heartbreak
#3 - troubled class traitor nikolai levin
#4 - dolly
#5 - the scornful and desparate anna k
#6 - alexei alexandrovich, hiding himself behind courtly properness
#7 - the self centered hedonist stiva
#8 - levins dog laska
#9 - vronsky's horse frou-frou, may she rest in peace
#20 - the scoundrel vronsky

Tier lists are illegal in BYOB

nut

cda posted:

Tier lists are illegal in BYOB

smallest part of the cake
bigger part of the cake
biggest part of the cake

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

smallest part of the cake
bigger part of the cake
biggest part of the cake

MODS

nut

things ur gonna do about it:

nada
nil
zippo

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

things ur gonna do about it:

nada
nil
zippo

okay so i am burning my house down, with a zippo,,right now

whos the smart book guy now?
:negative:

Escape From Noise

William Shakespeare's Much a Dune About Nothing" was way ahead of its time.

Heather Papps

hello friend

stormlight archives:
very good. mormon, kinda?

tolkein was catholic and lotr owns so whatev

beer pal

this book really is good as hell. all these characters are fascinating and tolstoy is incredibly good at describing their states of mind. im a tolstoy stan now. turns out levin is actually kind of a jack rear end though like "hmm this pro feudalism guy makes some good points"

Heather Papps

hello friend

the book of lies is really good

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

this book really is good as hell. all these characters are fascinating and tolstoy is incredibly good at describing their states of mind.

I agree. I like that book because is it proof that at least one person in the history of mankind has paid full and compassionate attention to other human beings.

cda

by Hand Knit
I just read The Voyage of the Sable Venus by Robin Coste Lewis which is a book of poems. Pretty good. The title poem is really interesting. It's a "narrative" (loosely construed) poem in several sections which is entirely composed of the titles and exhibit descriptions of works of art which depict the black female figure (they don't have to be the focus, just in the artwork somewhere). It's really interesting to see the mileage she can get out of words which describe art or art materials but which also have other meanings, e.g. "relief," "hide" and so on..

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Actually, can anyone recommend me some poetry? It's probably my least-read genre and I'm looking to get more into it. I'm familiar with some of the big names (Blake, Shelly, etc) but I tend to like more weird and philosophical stuff. So far I've read a collection of Borges's poetry, some Federico Garcia Lorca, and Fernando Passoas The Book Of Disquiet. I've enjoyed all three of those equally well, but I'm always on the lookout for something more.

Thanks.

To get back to book chat, I just finished Ice by Anna Kavan which was a very good read. Felt like Kafka. Beautiful prose and a nightmarish hallucinogenic atmosphere. Recommend.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

Actually, can anyone recommend me some poetry? It's probably my least-read genre and I'm looking to get more into it. I'm familiar with some of the big names (Blake, Shelly, etc) but I tend to like more weird and philosophical stuff. So far I've read a collection of Borges's poetry, some Federico Garcia Lorca, and Fernando Passoas The Book Of Disquiet. I've enjoyed all three of those equally well, but I'm always on the lookout for something more.

Thanks.

rumi