Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

magic cactus posted:

Actually, can anyone recommend me some poetry? It's probably my least-read genre and I'm looking to get more into it. I'm familiar with some of the big names (Blake, Shelly, etc) but I tend to like more weird and philosophical stuff. So far I've read a collection of Borges's poetry, some Federico Garcia Lorca, and Fernando Passoas The Book Of Disquiet. I've enjoyed all three of those equally well, but I'm always on the lookout for something more.

Thanks.

To get back to book chat, I just finished Ice by Anna Kavan which was a very good read. Felt like Kafka. Beautiful prose and a nightmarish hallucinogenic atmosphere. Recommend.

I also don't know much poetry but I do enjoy the Raymond Carver I've read. "Late Fragment" and "Your Dog Dies" are two poems of his that always stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I also don't know much poetry but I do enjoy the Raymond Carver I've read. "Late Fragment" and "Your Dog Dies" are two poems of his that always stuck with me.

I didn't even know Carver wrote poetry. I am a bad book nerd. I'll look into those, thanks a bunch!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Escape From Noise

magic cactus posted:

I didn't even know Carver wrote poetry. I am a bad book nerd. I'll look into those, thanks a bunch!

I think he started out as a poet.

cda

by Hand Knit

magic cactus posted:

I tend to like more weird and philosophical stuff. So far I've read a collection of Borges's poetry, some Federico Garcia Lorca, and Fernando Passoas The Book Of Disquiet. I've enjoyed all three of those equally well, but I'm always on the lookout for something more.

Pessoa is best known as a poet, or actually as many different poets, each with their own name, personal history, and distinct style... I'm trying to remember which one of them is the high modernist one. Ricardo Reis maybe?

Here's what comes to mind for weird and philosophical: Wallace Stevens and Gertrude Stein above all, John Ashbery as a closer second to those two, also Susan Howe, Jorie Graham, Anne Carson... off the top of my head.

magic cactus

cda posted:

poetry suggestions

Thank you very much! I'll look into these.

Heather Papps

hello friend

There's Nothing Ahead

Lovers think they're looking for each other,
but there's only one search: wandering
this world is wandering that,
both inside one
transparent sky. In here there is
no dogma and no heresy.

The miracle of Jesus is himself, not what he said
or did about the future. Forget the future.
I'd worship someone who could do that.

On the way you may want to look back, or not.
But if you can say, There's nothing ahead,
there will be nothing there.
Stretch your arms
and take hold of the cloth of your clothes
with both hands. The cure for pain is in the pain.
Good and bad are mixed. If you don't have both,
you don't belong with us.
When one of us gets lost,
is not here, he must be inside us. There's no
place like that anywhere in the world.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Be Lost in the Call

Lord, said David, since you do not need us,
why did you create these two worlds?

Reality replied: O prisoner of time,
I was a secret treasure of kindness and generosity,
and I wished this treasure to be known,
so I created a mirror: its shining face, the heart;
its darkened back, the world;
The back would please you if you've never seen the face.

Has anyone ever produced a mirror out of mud and straw?
Yet clean away the mud and straw,
and a mirror might be revealed.

Until the juice ferments a while in the cask,
it isn't wine. If you wish your heart to be bright,
you must do a little work.

My King addressed the soul of my flesh:
You return just as you left.
Where are the traces of my gifts?

We know that alchemy transforms copper into gold.
This Sun doesn't want a crown or robe from God's grace.
He is a hat to a hundred bald men,
a covering for ten who were naked.

Jesus sat humbly on the back of an rear end, my child!
How could a zephyr ride an rear end?
Spirit, find your way, in seeking lowness like a stream.
Reason, tread the path of selflessness into eternity.

Remember God so much that you are forgotten.
Let the caller and the called disappear;
be lost in the Call.

magic cactus

Heather Papps posted:

Rumi-nations

I really liked these, gonna add a collection of his poems to my ever-growing list of books to read. Thanks

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I really liked these, gonna add a collection of his poems to my ever-growing list of books to read. Thanks

np frm yr pl hp

nut

a whole country of people who drink my milk from the carton and leave it empty in the fridge

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

a whole country of people who drink my milk from the carton and leave it empty in the fridge

i like da movie

cda

by Hand Knit
Rumi is good. So is Hafez -- I like him more because he's got a better sense of humor imo but they're both good. Finding a good contemporary translation is tough though. Tbqh I don't think any of them are good *poetry* in English, unlike other Eastern culture heavyweight poets like Basho/Bison/Issa for Japan or Tu Fu/Li Po/Tao Chien for China where some of the translations are really good as English language poems.

Heather Papps

hello friend

sound of words vs meaning of words, i guess

Escape From Noise

“Your Dog Dies” by Raymond Carver–

It gets run over by a van.
you find it at the side of the road
and bury it.
you feel bad about it.
you feel bad personally,
but you feel bad for your daughter
because it was her pet,
and she loved it so.
she used to croon to it
and let it sleep in her bed.
you write a poem about it.
you call it a poem for your daughter,
about the dog getting run over by a van
and how you looked after it,
took it out into the woods
and buried it deep, deep,
and that poem turns out so good
you’re almost glad the little dog
was run over, or else you’d never
have written that good poem.
then you sit down to write
a poem about writing a poem
about the death of that dog,
but while you’re writing you
hear a woman scream
your name, your first name,
both syllables,
and your heart stops.
after a minute, you continue writing.
she screams again.
you wonder how long this can go on.

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
submitting this one to doesthedogdie.com

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Heather Papps

hello friend

The Race of Mankind drownd, before the Shrine
Of Themis stood devout. To Heav’n thir prayers
Flew up, nor missed the way, by envious windes
Blow’n vagabond or frustrate: in they passd
Dimentionless through Heav’nly dores; then clad
With incense, where the Golden Altar fum’d,
By thir great Intercessor, came in sight

Heather Papps

hello friend

i kno everyone hates the bible but the king james version psalms are some of the best poetry ever

cda

by Hand Knit

Heather Papps posted:

i kno everyone hates the bible but the king james version psalms are some of the best poetry ever

I don't hate the Bible and you're right about the KJV and Psalms

beer pal

"it was impossible to forbid a man to make a big wax doll and kiss it"
-leo tolstoy, anna karenina, 1877

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

u guys ever think... so the bene gesserit lady has this needle full of poison... whoah its got an epic name its the gom jabbar.. very foreboding very spooky. whats it do, its a poison. that kills you. ok.

Then she's got this mysterious box that you put your hand in and it makes it feel extreme pain like your flesh is being burned off and then you take your hand out and its just fine. whats it called? oh i dunno it sjust one of those things. uh.. its one of those pain boxes. you know. whatever.

artoke

Just finished reading the 33 1/3 book on Slint's Spiderland and it was real good. It is my favorite album ever though, so it may not actually be a good book lol. It was a nice break from Infinite Jest, which is amazing so far but it's a whole lot of book.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
spiderland is one of my all time favorite albums

I didn't know about this book, thanks! also made me remember there's a documentary on them called breadcrumb trail, appears to be free on youtube

cda

by Hand Knit
Was just listening to spiderland yesterday.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am reading the kingdom of god is within you and it is loving all my poo poo right up

beer pal

im reading lanny by max porter and its very charming and good and a little bit sppooky

the unabonger
im reading settlers: the mythology of the white proletariat from the mayflower to modern by j sakai. I've got blackshirts and reds by michael parenti next on my list.

cda

by Hand Knit

i flunked out posted:

im reading settlers: the mythology of the white proletariat from the mayflower to modern by j sakai. I've got blackshirts and reds by michael parenti next on my list.

hell yeah.

just had this idea; redshirts and blacks: thesis: the racial politics of star trek have been poorly analyzed in moral terms instead of subjected to rigorous critical analysis

the unabonger

cda posted:

hell yeah.

just had this idea; redshirts and blacks: thesis: the racial politics of star trek have been poorly analyzed in moral terms instead of subjected to rigorous critical analysis

lol

Heather Papps

hello friend

beer pal

now im reading we ahve always lived in the castle. why do all books have deckled edges now or is it just me

cda

by Hand Knit
when industrial printing began in the 19th century, deckled edges, which were associated with hand-made paper, became a status symbol. if you have a deckle edge book now, that is a paratextual move by the publisher to suggest that the book is literary and cultured.

----------------

beer pal

seems corny to me. i don tlike it. im anti deckle. ive got to re learn my whole page turning technique just so the book can be fancy. its outrageous.

Corby Haas
So for deckle edge I would use my thumb to push out the next page from the bottom edge of the book.

I read this set of fantasy books on Kindle Unlimited called Heartstrikers by Rachel Aaron that kicked a lot of butt in which Julius the Nice Dragon has to save dragonkind and mankind from doing itself in by its own greed, set in a near future where magic came back and one thing that happened is Algonquin, spirit of the Great Lakes woke up and got p'd off about pollution and tsunamied Detroit off the planet. The magic system is well developed and the characters are many and marvellous.

Hi.

SardonicTyrant

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was browsing bandcamp the other day and just sorta stumbled on this book series called Tamer: King of Dinosaurs. It's about this dork in animal control who gets sent to an alien world and discovers he has the power to tame animals. Also he meets three alien women, because of course.

It's actually not that great, but it was Name Your Price so I thought gently caress it, something to listen to while commuting.

magic cactus

I just finished reading a collection of short stories called Song for The Unraveling of The World by Brian Evenson. A pleasant impulse pick up from the local library. Evenson's stories are tinged with cosmic horror, but less the spooky tentacles type and more the off-kilter psychological type (though there were a few of those types of stories in this collection, which while well-written didn't do much for me personally). He's really good at writing insanity, or the process of the unhinging of a character's mind. There were points reading some of his stories that I felt like I was going crazy. My favorite story in the collection was "Wanderlust", about a guy who becomes convinced he's being watched and so must stay constantly on the move. It felt very Borges inspired. To be honest, a lot of these stories made me wish Borges had tried his hand at cosmic/philosophical horror beyond just "There Are More Things", but this was a nice enough fusion of straight-up horror with more of a philosophical bent to it, like Ligotti minus his ceaseless nihilism (I mean you can argue that the point of cosmic horror is to be nihilistic true enough, but Everson inserts some nice human-ish grace notes into the CEASELESS COSMIC TERROR formula.)

In any case, you could do worse for a spooky book for the spooky season.

Currently reading an anthology of Indian Literature for a change of pace from wizards and spooky monsters.

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

seems corny to me. i don tlike it. im anti deckle. ive got to re learn my whole page turning technique just so the book can be fancy. its outrageous.

yeah it sucks and it's totally corny. fake highbrow. or should i say: faux highbrow.

but "deckle-edged" is a word in one of my favorite poems. so i'm pro the word and anti the thing.

----------------

Escape From Noise

Getting decked out in deckle.

Corby Haas
Okay so I read the first Murderbot novella. I understand these to be a hit. It was pretty good. Zero human murders happened.

I am right now a big fan of the novella length. I would like to read another novella. I feel accomplished when I finish a book you see.

beer pal

yall ever awake from troubled dreams to find yourself changed into a monstrous cockroach in your bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

beer pal posted:

yall ever awake from troubled dreams to find yourself changed into a monstrous cockroach in your bed?

once i woke as a newt, but, well.... i got better.