Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

reading Malone Dies. sapo is a cool name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Heather Papps posted:

once i woke as a newt, but, well.... i got better.
May I ask how? Asking for a friend.

Corby Haas

beer pal posted:

yall ever awake from troubled dreams to find yourself changed into a monstrous cockroach in your bed?

My girlfriend and I have an inside joke lately where we put our chihuahua on her back and tickle her belly so she twitches her legs and say, "She's a little Kafka! Look, a Kafka! Ruby, are you a Kafka? You're a sweet baby Kafka!"

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

:ohdear:

cda

by Hand Knit

Beckett's novels are underappreciated, and also very good to read out loud after three or four whiskeys.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit
also here is my invitation for anyone reading this to join me in the childrens' lit thread I made in the Book Barn. big ups to Android Blues for making a real smart and interesting post in it, thus demonstrating once again that byob is the best:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900957

----------------

xcheopis

cda posted:

also here is my invitation for anyone reading this to join me in the childrens' lit thread I made in the Book Barn. big ups to Android Blues for making a real smart and interesting post in it, thus demonstrating once again that byob is the best:

It's a shame I have no working computer, as I have boxes of pre1980s children's books. You mentioned E. Nesbit; have you read Edward Eager? Also, in terms of indoctrination, the McGuffey Eclectic Readers and similar series are a gold mine for assessing the expectation of a child's literacy.

Escape From Noise

Where The Wild Things Are owns bones. I will not be persuaded otherwise.

cda

by Hand Knit

xcheopis posted:

It's a shame I have no working computer, as I have boxes of pre1980s children's books. You mentioned E. Nesbit; have you read Edward Eager?

Hell yeah. Half Magic was a favorite of mine when I was a wee un.

xcheopis posted:

Also, in terms of indoctrination, the McGuffey Eclectic Readers and similar series are a gold mine for assessing the expectation of a child's literacy.

Primers are loving fascinating on all sorts of levels. One underacknowledged aspect which I find very interesting is the way they use cursive fonts to teach children to decode handwriting, as in:

I haven't had the time to research it that I'd like, but I imagine creating ligatured cursive fonts (that is, cursive fonts in which all the letters are connected) may have presented a special challenge for printing presses.

It's also cool to think about the function of the pictures in such texts, and how/whether the textual demands of reading instruction shaped the production of those pictures (i.e. which came first, the picture about which text was then written, or the text, for which a picture was then drawn?).

...but what are we doing talking about this here? Take it to the Book Barn, buddy! (And if you ever get a working computer, post cool images/quotes from those children's books)

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Where The Wild Things Are owns bones. I will not be persuaded otherwise.

You will be happy to know that Where The Wild Things Are is the most universally critically acclaimed and discussed book in the entire children's literature canon. Its only competition is from Goodnight Moon and the Alice books.

----------------

Escape From Noise

cda posted:

You will be happy to know that Where The Wild Things Are is the most universally critically acclaimed and discussed book in the entire children's literature canon. Its only competition is from Goodnight Moon and the Alice books.

I know but I just kind of love it so much. I loved it as a kid and it retrospect I really understand why.

Also that Fresh Air interview of Maurice Sendak made me cry.

cda

by Hand Knit

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I know but I just kind of love it so much. I loved it as a kid and it retrospect I really understand why.

Also that Fresh Air interview of Maurice Sendak made me cry.

I, also, love it, and I am interested in why you love it, and if we love it for the same reasons or different ones.

----------------

Escape From Noise

cda posted:

I, also, love it, and I am interested in why you love it, and if we love it for the same reasons or different ones.

I guess it was originally those really cool illustrations. As a kid I can't remember another book that looked like it. I was a good kid but I think I understood that feeling of alienation. Being shoved away to another place you eventually feel uncomfortable with I guess.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Robert Munsch, baby

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

nut

i hated it as a kid and now it'd make me cry because i grew to have a mega soft spot for not knowing how 2 express urself

beer pal

cda posted:

very insteresting posts

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

xcheopis

Orwell's essay on Dickens has a very brief digression on The Fairchild Family, which was considered a fine tale for the little ones.

His essay analysing Boys' Weeklies is also worth a read, especially when he does a compare and contrast with the weeklies written for girls.

ALSO! Der Struwwelpeter, Charles Addams' comics, and Edward Gorey were much beloved by myself and my siblings.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 16, 2019

beer pal

reading metamorphosis the same time of year all the little buggies come into my apartment out of the cold. these buggies are not gross, they are my brothers and comrades. welcome to my home little buggies.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

if it makes you feel any better Malone is a very old man and has lived a varied life

cda posted:

Beckett's novels are underappreciated, and also very good to read out loud after three or four whiskeys.

oh, they kick rear end. finished malloy not too long ago. highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it, as long as you can handle uhh reaaaaaaaaaallly long paragraphs

Heather Papps

hello friend

you can handle uhh reaaaaaaaaaallly long paragraphs

IS THIS A CHALLANGE

beer pal

yall ever read house of leaves, should i read house of leaves

beer pal

also whats up yobbos what u been reading. me im just read the haounting of hill house and it was pretty good. now im reading solaris by stanislaw lem and then im gonna watch the tarkovsky movie when im done

Dungeon Ecology

i saw a book the other day

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

yall ever read house of leaves, should i read house of leaves

It's fun. Some people think it's like really good but it's not that good it's just fun.

cda

by Hand Knit
It does fun stuff with the book as an artifact

cda

by Hand Knit
Imagine if the Library of Babel was Infinite Jest and you're like 75% of the way to House of Leaves.

It has more themes than Dune.

beer pal

cool that was one f my worries about it, that with all the unconventional structure that it would be very self seriously avant or something

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

someday when i can read books again I am gonna read G.E.B.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Heather Papps

hello friend

i told a friend i'd read "of human bondage" which i think is the right name, but when i went to the local library they didn'th ave it but they did have like loving 3d printers and i had a minor existential crisis when i had to leave a "library" without a book but a dvd of a filmed version of a play of the book that i never ended up watching cause life

SardonicTyrant

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Checks out.

nut

cda posted:

It's fun. Some people think it's like really good but it's not that good it's just fun.

the navidson record owns everything afterward ehh

Heather Papps

hello friend

when i returned it they told me i owed them 4 dollars and i looked the lady in the eyes and said i',ll be right back and then never went back

xcheopis

beer pal posted:

also whats up yobbos what u been reading. me im just read the haounting of hill house and it was pretty good. now im reading solaris by stanislaw lem and then im gonna watch the tarkovsky movie when im done

I love Haunting of Hill House so much and you should, if you haven't already, read The Sundial next. Jackson does supernatural encounters so well!

Corby Haas
I tried to read Solaris in college in an effort to be more learned in the nerd canon but just couldn't get into it. That may have been the moment of self-realization where I discovered that loving wizards and dragons does not mean I care about space men.

I'm listening to a library book called Mortal Engines set in a post-apocalypse steampunk world where cities are basically giant tanks that tread around Europe conquering and scavenging each other in the name of "Municipal Darwinism."

I encourage everyone to investigate the Libby app; it may change your relationship with the local public library.

cda

by Hand Knit
Most Lem books are, in my humble, pretty poorly plotted even if they are full of interesting ideas and cool individual scenes. The exceptions are his short stories which are way better plotted. I also really like his reviews of books that don't exist. But Solaris, Fiasco etc. kind of fall apart at the macro level. I have read a lot of Lem so obviously I don't think these problems are disqualifying

beer pal

it definitely feels pretty messy so far . also lol at this misleading movie tie in cover

beer pal

xcheopis posted:

I love Haunting of Hill House so much and you should, if you haven't already, read The Sundial next. Jackson does supernatural encounters so well!

definitely would like to read some more shirley jackson at some point, i'll make the sundial the next one

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

it definitely feels pretty messy so far . also lol at this misleading movie tie in cover

The more I look the weirder that gets

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
got halfway through ursula k le guin's the other wind on a long train ride recently and was reminded why she is one of my favorite authors. she writes as if in a dream and transitions seamlessly from past to present.

i'd had the book for ages and just never gotten around to reading it and now i want to find the time to read the last half and dig through my books and find the others i have of hers and reread them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Finished re-reading Pratchett. Now re-reading A. Lee Martinez. Might re-read Genji in between Martinez books.