Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

same, it's fun to see what the next new *thing* is this year and all but my 7 Bigphone does everything I ask it to still, all this extra would be nice but not for actual cash money thx :o:
yeah, A series SoC’s are so good, as long as you got one newer than like 5 years old, you’re all set.

they just improve the camera and all i do is take a couple of pics of my cats a year, and one is black and the other is siamese so i could easily use stock photos and nobody would know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Laslow posted:

idk man, i feel like my x is still fast enough.

my wife even thinks her 6s is still pretty good and has a headphone jack. i guess if you’ve got an SE, you’d feel the same way. the idea that you could have a perfectly usable iphone 5 with newer guts well into 2019 is pretty neat.

the fact that they haven’t updated it with 8/X guts already is dumb and bad.

yeah the se definitely feels fast enough still but I'm not interested in playing dark souls on my phone

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
think that was the most overproduced, underwhelming event I’ve seen from apple. nice work timb, you’ve exceeded expectations

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
literally all iterations and speedbumps. that thing from last year? well this year it has slightly bigger numbers. thank you and god bless

whatever happened to those tracking tiles? or sleep monitoring? or bidirectional wireless charging?

those closest thing to news was the slightly lower than expected pricing of their terrible new gaming and premium teevee services

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
crapple

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Vintersorg posted:

"midnight green"

hunter2 green

Laslow posted:

idk man, i feel like my x is still fast enough.

my wife even thinks her 6s is still pretty good and has a headphone jack

both my folks are on my old 6 and 7 and seeing them use them theres no lagging or performance issues. i only moved to the xs for more screen and to dick around with the new cameras, my 7 was fine then and is fine now

if they hadnt done the x this would all make sense for a feature bump release

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FMguru posted:

literally all iterations and speedbumps. that thing from last year? well this year it has slightly bigger numbers. thank you and god bless

whatever happened to those tracking tiles? or sleep monitoring? or bidirectional wireless charging?

those closest thing to news was the slightly lower than expected pricing of their terrible new gaming and premium teevee services

apple tv+ featuring the new hit series "see" which is actually a pretty good metaphor for whatever the gently caress is going on at apple right now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Agile Vector posted:

if they hadnt done the x this would all make sense for a feature bump release

well they sure added a few feature bumps to this release

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they're tumors, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a neurotic ai posted:

think that was the most overproduced, underwhelming event I’ve seen from apple. nice work timb, you’ve exceeded expectations

the a13 is an absolute beast and if we lived in a reasonable world, it would be sufficient for far more than a decade, barring some kind of major security flaw discovered

can you imagine windows 2000 running on it? drat son

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i wish they were british racing green

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zamujasa posted:

well they sure added a few feature bumps to this release

lol

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they're tumors, op

theyll metastasize on the front and corners soon. photos combining luridly for a grotesque 300 degree view stitched together in a sickly fashion by the tortured ml ai in the a14

only on the iphone 12 noooo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

echinopsis posted:

task manager would be the only useful software you could run and if you need fancy numbers just scroll down in excel until you get tired and then press 9 a bunch to get a big number

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i prefer my a12x ~bionic~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

also 1729 CAD for the 256GB 11 Pro Max :wow: (same as xs max)

i wonder how well the cameras in it stack up to a professional dslr or mirrorless camera, which also costs about that much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder how well the cameras in it stack up to a professional dslr or mirrorless camera, which also costs about that much

you cannot cheat ccd sizes no matter how hard you try

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

no specs on the sensor size in the pro but the from the xs:

quote:

Now a teardown performed by TechInsights has confirmed the new sensor, but has also revealed some additional detail about the wide-angle camera. The sensor is a stacked model provided by Sony on a 7.01 mm x 5.79 mm (40.6 mm2) sized die. This is 7.8 mm2 more than the wide-angle camera sensor on the iPhones X and 8 Plus. The actual active area of the sensor is around 5.6 x 4.2 mm, which is likely to see it classed as a 1/2.5"-type chip.
so consulting this handy chart

even with the larger wart I'd imagine each sensor [since there's 3 of them] would be similar size to the xs so like 2/3 the size of the smallest box in the picture

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

https://twitter.com/MLProduce/status/1171542727152033792

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the a13 is an absolute beast and if we lived in a reasonable world, it would be sufficient for far more than a decade, barring some kind of major security flaw discovered

you are going to need 1.2 trillion operations per second with the iphone 12 with 5 cameras

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

trying to imagine what stebe would have done to the person who showed him a three-camera-bump 6.5" iphone in army man green

steve would never allow such a overgrown, bulbous product to be released

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

no specs on the sensor size in the pro but the from the xs:

so consulting this handy chart

even with the larger wart I'd imagine each sensor [since there's 3 of them] would be similar size to the xs so like 2/3 the size of the smallest box in the picture

ok neato so with a 12mp ~4000x3000 image and a sensor that's 5.6mm on the long side each photosite is approx. 1.4 microns on a side (2 square microns)

compare that to, say, a nikon z6 with a 24mp 135-format sensor, where the photosites are about 6 microns on a side (36 square microns)

so the camera with a real sensor has approx. 18x the light gathering capacity and 50% more linear resolution and it costs less, too

love those "shot on iphone" ads all over the 101 though. cranking up the gain for HDR NIGHT MODE is the same as collecting more light, right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most of the "shot on iphone" ads are shot with tripods, lighting and third party lenses then extensively fixed in lightroom

also that z6 isn't cheaper than a phone if you want to put a decent lens on it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
does the new iphone use usb-c

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
a suitcase is cheaper than a mac pro and it holds more hard drives, checkmate apple

(this is the same as comparing a dedicated camera to a smartphone)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bump_fn posted:

does the new iphone use usb-c

not on the end you want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

most of the "shot on iphone" ads are shot with tripods, lighting and third party lenses then extensively fixed in lightroom

also that z6 isn't cheaper than a phone if you want to put a decent lens on it

even a plastic 55/1.8 is gonna be better than the fingernail-sized glass on an iphone though.

i don't really know what point i'm trying to make by posting that the iphone's camera is worse than an actual camera's camera, but w/e

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you cannot cheat ccd sizes no matter how hard you try

it's the apertures that can't be faked. it was funny how he described the ultra wide camera as one where everything is in focus, ie, has a small aperture lmao.

I took this myself. the apple cameras might be clear for sure, and the colour and low light may be great.. but will they ever look like this?

thats a genuine question... will they look like this?

that is the one good photo I have ever taken btw. it was at a party for gfs parents wedding anniversay. points to me for not getting too hosed up and making a dick of myself

canon 7d ef50mmf/1.8 . makes a good job in low light

love that lens but I take a lot of slightly out of focus photot=s. the f/1.8 is unforgiving. just got a efs24mmf/2.8 and if you get close to the subject, some real nice stuff comes out and much more forgiving

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

canon 7d ef50mmf/1.8 . makes a good job in low light

love that lens but I take a lot of slightly out of focus photot=s. the f/1.8 is unforgiving. just got a efs24mmf/2.8 and if you get close to the subject, some real nice stuff comes out and much more forgiving

If it's the old design the ef50mm isn't going to be the best focuser. The stm model will nail focus a lot more consistently.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

even a plastic 55/1.8 is gonna be better than the fingernail-sized glass on an iphone though.

i don't really know what point i'm trying to make by posting that the iphone's camera is worse than an actual camera's camera, but w/e

its coz apple tries very very hard to convince people that this is the pinnacle of photography

I cant stand the potrait mode introduced with iphone 8. it stands out so much, but I suspect a lot of poeple think it looks good

it's interesting to me that the cameras can effectively generate depth maps etc from triangulaton etc, and some apps can make still images into 3d. like having that data would be interesting to me. it's proposed that this method of many cameras should be able to generate photos with a large depth of field, but then use depth data to fake low DoF, but to the extent you use. applying it post if you will

idk. I love my 7d. I'd love a full frame, but too much money. with my 50mm and 24mm (on a crop sensor so somethig more like 75 & 45 equivalent) I feel I can do almost anything I want, except telephoto. but gently caress that. lol

the biggest issue I come across is nailing the exposure with the auto exposure thing. the dynamic range really could be better. gives me so much respect for people shooting film and getting the exposure right.. although film does have a lot of forgiveness in the dynamic range

using blender and the compositor, and coz blender generates full dynamic range images which you eventaully need to fit into sRGB, it's a lot of fun playing with the extremities of photos, making bloom or glare from bright spots, whereas a photo from my camera would just have a large white patch rather than the full range of highlights that actually exist in that area.

discovred can make some pretty sweet videos if I mount the camera on a tripod. video comes out very very nice, especially with the 50mm. shame its an older one without facial recognition and autofocus, coz that would be the mother loving poo poo.

slrs should have fuckin a13s in them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

When I first got a dslr I got some sigma lenses and had a lot of out of focus shots. I sold those and got some first-party glass and had a much better time with it. The lenses you choose have a lot to do with how good the auto focus system works.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

If it's the old design the ef50mm isn't going to be the best focuser. The stm model will nail focus a lot more consistently.

yeah its the stm. I think it's because the DoF is literally so shallow that if you get someones ears in focus their eyes and nose will be out :/

I'm starting to play around more with servo autofocus rather than one shot, I wonder if my habit of focusing and exposing on one spot then reframing the picture is enough difference in depth to lose the focus.

who knows

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

it's the apertures that can't be faked. it was funny how he described the ultra wide camera as one where everything is in focus, ie, has a small aperture lmao.

Depth of field is actually a function of aperture, focal length, and subject distance, not just aperture

you have more depth of field with a smaller aperture, a shorter focal length, and when the subject is further away (e.g. a wide-angle shot of a landscape, where everything is in focus). Less depth of field with a wide open lens, a longer focal length, and a subject that's up close (e.g. macro shots, where you going to focus on a fly's eyeball and blur everything else)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I'm starting to play around more with servo autofocus rather than one shot, I wonder if my habit of focusing and exposing on one spot then reframing the picture is enough difference in depth to lose the focus.

I always try to use the closest focus point and I haven't had too many issues with focus re-compose.

Using the servo mode isn't going to make taking shallow-dof portraits easier at all lol. it's pretty much for moving subjects where you can aim your focus right at their body. Google around for "back button focus" if you want to learn how to set up your camera for the best of both worlds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

yeah its the stm. I think it's because the DoF is literally so shallow that if you get someones ears in focus their eyes and nose will be out :/

who knows

SLRs used to come with split prism focusing aids in the ground glass that made it way easier to nail manual focus. Moderm SLRs got rid of that stuff and changed the design of the glass in a way that makes a brighter image but which can't show fine focusing distinctions. It's super annoying and I can do a much better job focusing manually on my old Pentax spotmatic than on my 5D, even with the same lens, and even with an aftermarket split prism in the Canon.

It's a big part of why I want to get a mirrorless camera. The focus peaking feature gives you a glittery highlight that reminds me a lot of the sparkle you get in an old SLR when something is in critical focus.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

two XR’s on their way. thank s timb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

SLRs used to come with split prism focusing aids in the ground glass that made it way easier to nail manual focus. Moderm SLRs got rid of that stuff and changed the design of the glass in a way that makes a brighter image but which can't show fine focusing distinctions.

wait, the centre split ring is gone?

wtf?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ya slrs haven't come with split rings or graticules or anything like that for ages. The closest you'll get to a manual focusing aid is that sometimes you can set the autofocus points to light up if you hold the shutter button down half way while focusing. There are aftermarket split prisms available but they suck compared to what came in any film slr from the 70s.

It makes me a little exasperated to see camera reviews these days going "oh, this camera is really crippled because it only has 287 autofocus points, it's only suitable for non-technical women and children" and forgetting that until at least the mid-80s literally all professional photographers only shot manual focus

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

Depth of field is actually a function of aperture, focal length, and subject distance, not just aperture

you have more depth of field with a smaller aperture, a shorter focal length, and when the subject is further away (e.g. a wide-angle shot of a landscape, where everything is in focus). Less depth of field with a wide open lens, a longer focal length, and a subject that's up close (e.g. macro shots, where you going to focus on a fly's eyeball and blur everything else)

it also is a function of the image sensor, specifically the pixel size and area of the light gathering structures used to send the photons into the photodiode. can't have any blur if the circle of confusion that is the defocused light still all lands on a single pixel. the small pixels actually somewhat offset the increase in DOF given by the rest of the setup.

anyway I remember finding a good paper that actually went through the calculations for DOF and in order to get an iPhone sized sensor and focal length to pull off a DOF similar to a full frame equivalent focal length with a f2.0 or similar you'd need a lens with an entrance pupil/aperture roughly the area of the entire rear of the phone. good lord knows how heavy the optics you'd need to pull that off would be (if it is even possible)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
All cameras I have owned, even cheap ones have done a better job at focusing on what I want, even on full auto than any phone I have owned. Only reason I use a phone more often is the convenience to carry and quicker to take a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

ok neato so with a 12mp ~4000x3000 image and a sensor that's 5.6mm on the long side each photosite is approx. 1.4 microns on a side (2 square microns)

compare that to, say, a nikon z6 with a 24mp 135-format sensor, where the photosites are about 6 microns on a side (36 square microns)

so the camera with a real sensor has approx. 18x the light gathering capacity and 50% more linear resolution and it costs less, too

love those "shot on iphone" ads all over the 101 though. cranking up the gain for HDR NIGHT MODE is the same as collecting more light, right?

you can get a better lens on a camera too, f1.4 vs f2 is twice as big by area.