Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Top Gear d20 Part 3: Why Volkswagens are a Trap Option

Last time we covered how BMWs break the system over their knee with their Reliability Modifier. So you'd think Reliability Modifiers are like, the best thing, then, right? Let's talk about how the Volkwagen shows how this system can go wrong.

I unironically want to read this rpg.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I am very sorry to inklesspen for loving up the part numbers in my x-risks posts. I didn't realise you did the archiving manually I thought you had a bot or something that jsut did them in sequential order. I will do it properly next time and remember to keep track.

Yeah unfortunately the only way to reliably determine if a post is part of a writeup or just people making a funny about elfgames is to have a human mind read it, and since I don't have any infugees on hand...

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

From the moment of its sentience, Actaeon wanted to look human, and that's what drove it to use its tiny manipulators to make its humanoid body. It plans to replace the lead mask with a bronze one soon. Currently, of its original drone shell, only its rotors and six extremely impressive micro-cameras remain. It resembles a sort of tin man of scraps or rusty robot from an old sci fi movie. While it can pass for human thanks to Promethean magic, its unblinking gaze, extremely steady gait and flat smile unnerve humans that talk to it. It's not much of a speaker anyway, preferring to communicate in clipped, brief orders and after action reports. It always happily listens to stories, pleas for mercy or offers, staring at its victims as they ask for information. It raises its voice only when threatened, when its quiet, somewhat melodic tones turn harsh and grating, like a dial-up modem.

Like most Unfleshed, Actaeon wants to know what being really human is like. It wonders if it can even become human, given its barely humanoid form. Its limited imagination has prevented it from going far in its Pilgrimage, but it's not super concerned about that. Sometimes it attempts to emulate human behavior via its tone of voice and mannerisms, but even other Prometheans tend to find this extremely gross. Something has gone wrong with Actaeon's analysis of how humans work, thanks to its voyeuristic focus on the hidden and dangerous rather than ordinary life. It has grown to understand how other humans feel around its fellows, how its fellows act when they think no one is looking...but more than that, it has also recorded the work of alchemists and clone scientists, and it even attempts, with limited success, to track Pandorans.

Aww, it seems like an interesting chap. Too bad the other Prometheans hate it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Feinne posted:

As we enter the climax of the season of the witch, it’s time to get spooky. And by that I mean, let’s look at the second edition of everyone’s favorite game of teenage monster angst, Monsterhearts! I’m going to emphasize mostly the changes between first and second edition (though I’ve also got a whole bunch of spicy new Skins that weren’t in the original review to discuss both in first and second edition versions), though I will still give enough overview that this stands alone.

Chapter One: How The Game Works

This post layout is a super great example of making things very annoying for me in my job as archivist. Please consult the examples in the first post in this thread, and do a better job. Thank you.

Night10194 posted:

Dark Heresy Second Edition: Unpublished Beta

I'm a little confused here. When you say "unpublished beta", is this a freely downloadable "hey check out the early stages of this game's development" PDF, or some leaked content, or what? The answer will help determine if it gets archived or not.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 31, 2019

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

It's a playtest document from an old open playtest. I wrote Fantasy Flight and asked if it was okay to write about in public, they said "We don't care, not our license anymore", so I wanted to cover it as a bit of history.

Ok, sounds good. The "Unpublished Beta" was just a worrying bit of wording.

Feinne posted:

Sorry, I've put a title at the top of each post.

Thank you!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Feinne posted:

What there is, though, is an expansion with some extra Skins called Second Skins. Next time we’ll talk about two of those: The Sasquatch and The Wyrm.

I should point out that the Second Skins are not official Monsterhearts product. However, there is a third official optional skin:

BuriedWithoutCeremony dot com posted:

The Cerberus is weird and conceptual, created for a fan. What if you were a three-headed dog, covered in writhing snakes, tasked with guarding the gates to the afterlife? And what if this was all an elaborate metaphor for playing Jughead from CW’s Riverdale?

And there's also the Small Towns.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It absolutely seems to be based on Jughead's arc, and normally that would doom it, but since Avery made it it might not suck?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

megane posted:

you're a gatekeeper in the social sense, painting everyone, including yourself, with broad labels and slamming them when they try to cross class (or gender, or clique, or whatever) lines. You're the rear end in a top hat who tells women that only guys play D&D.

:wtc:
Why the gently caress did riverdale give this to Jughead, of all people?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Well, it's been a wild few months, but I'm back on the archiving. Currently processing page 54.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

inklesspen posted:

Well, it's been a wild few months, but I'm back on the archiving. Currently processing page 54.

That was almost exactly a year ago. You wouldn't think "archiving discussions about elfgames" is something a worldwide pandemic would gently caress up, but surprise surprise.

Anyway around middle of last year, the codebase I originally wrote back in 2015 started getting really slow under the weight of all these dang elfgame posts. So I started rewriting it to not suck so much. And then in August I stopped again, because I had just been given a ton of extra responsibilities at work.

A week ago I picked it back up, though, and now it's complete enough to use.

The new address is https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/ and its features include:
  • slightly less ugly layout
  • all the writeups are rendered to static files so the site doesn't break when i upgrade my database
  • all the images are served with cache headers so your browser will cache them properly, resulting in speedier page loads
  • the oft-requested "recent changes" page, along with RSS feed
  • url no longer includes the term "fatal", which was confusing to non-goons
As you will see from the recent changes page, I'm currently around page 74 of the thread. But it'll go a lot faster now.