Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ah yes, the famous concept of a communist monarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The Chinese mind has a genetic predisposition to prefer emperors. If you disagree, you don't understand Confucianism. Now, regarding the Russian mind...

i'd like to refer you to my measurements of the bumps on the russian skull. very troublesome numbers!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

More RPGs need to include creative writing advice in their GMing sections. The more people acknowledge that GMing is a creative writing project in addition to everything else, the better.

i was surprised at how many people vehemently deny this and hate the idea of the gm using a homemade setting or coming up with their own adventures. and there's people who go even further than that and think that anything beyond the most basic fantasy trappings is useless and stupid

Serf
May 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

This is nuts to me, as well. I don't think I've ever heard of people getting mad about people writing their own adventures before, though; I know there are groups that primarily play pre-published stuff but I usually thought that was a matter of 'writing our own stuff takes ages and we have jobs/just want to meet up and play' which is perfectly reasonable.

i definitely know there are horror stories about people who sit there and drop 20+ minutes of exposition on you about their lovingly crafted worlds, but there's a happy medium to be struck. i tend to think less is more and anyone who wants to be involved in the worldbuilding should get to pitch in, but you gotta have some sort of world to hang the game off of

Serf
May 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I genuinely think that whatever his abilities as a designer, Robert Schwalb is a completely and utterly miserably bad adventure writer. I hear the same complaints about Shadow of the Demon Lord premades as I see in stuff like Forges of Nuln and now this mess.

the award for absolute worst sotdl adventure goes to "the stars refuge" by none other than monte cook, for having an extraordinarily lovely ending, or possibly "the last train to darksville" by matt forbeck which takes the idea of fighting a dragon on top of a train and makes it as boring as possible.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I am normally 100% opposed to starting an RPG with fiction, and while Red Markets opens with like 100 pages of fiction, I loved every bit of it. I was immediately drawn in by the fact that it is written in-character and Gnat makes for an excellent cynical narrator. Taking the time to properly set up the biggest causes of the crash and delve into the economic and political woes of the pre-zombie world really helped me get into the setting, and its all relevant for understanding the particulars of the carrion economy that you'll be engaging in during play. I suppose it helps that I largely agree with the diatribe, but I found it to be excellent worldbuilding. I recently re-read the game while considering running a campaign of it and seeing that intro through the lens of 2020 is very different from before.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've got a prosthetic limb and it annoys me how these game designers always get it wrong. Yes, of course, we know that the human soul is evenly distributed throughout the body and the loss of my foot decreased my empathy by about 8%. But, and this is the thing they always miss, I now cry whenever I see pictures or videos of inanimate objects with googly eyes being threatened with physical violence. This needs to be accounted for in any game design.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, real question. The next post is already written to edit and put up tomorrow, so it's not affected, but:
Does anyone actually care about the Red Markets setting enough that I should continue close-ups with what's written? I don't like it, it's a lazy and edgy "america bad, rural bad, techbros good, not!Musk savior of humanity" misery pit. (It's by far not the worst setting I've read though.) It commits the fatal sin of not just being unpleasant, but uninteresting, at length. My love for Red Markets lies solely in its system.
I'm not going to just go "skip 100 pages, we're in the mechanics now" but if I stop giving a poo poo about commenting on every idea Stokes et al put in here and follow about the detail level of Cartel's RED posts, then I can probably clear the remainder in another 3 or 4 after that. Less if I collapse the Loss chapterinto one post.
If people really want to hear about Recession America and the Loss I'll keep writing as I have. Just getting a feel. Like I said at the start, first long form review and the format trips me up.

this is a pretty unfair reading of the contents of those chapters, but if you dislike them go ahead and skip ahead

Serf
May 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm responding to you directly because your quote is most relevant but this is kind of touching on everyone's commentary.

(bolded for emphasis)

The "loves not!Musk" bit is easy to explain. Austin Palbicke gets a full 9 pages dedicated to his biography and his Ubiq project, and it's constantly cited as the only reason survivors can survive, the Loss would have collapsed except Palbicke, etc etc, world is saved by Palbicke's indestructible, immune-to-malfunction, data-transmission-mechanics-defying free-of-charge worldwide balloon internet and his literal Galt's Gulch that is now held up as the best and brightest enclave in the entire Loss. Join that with Palbicke, who never touched a computer until seventh grade, immediately "hack[ing] the school's firewall to enroll in a MOOC offered by Yale", constant extolling of techbro "goals" bullshit, the loving algorithms Christ almighty how did this dude apparently write literal magic several times... The entire section on Palbicke and Ubiq is the exact same sort of "Elon Musk is a visionary genius who's personally responsible for every Tesla, SpaceX, etc development that's ever happened and is the savior of the future of mankind" poo poo Muskites spew everywhere, except Palbicke doesn't have any apartheid emerald mine money.

The "gently caress rural people" bit is, honestly, not what I should have put it as (having reviewed to find specific examples), so let me be more accurate; Stokes never misses a chance to take a dig at Republicans, Libertarians, and really anyone that isn't lib-left as you put it, the whole way through. "Libertarian preppers" get their own faction put on the same level of awful as slavers and Typhoid Marys. So on. It gets tiring, especially with the limited cast of named figures consisting of "reasonable, well-rounded Ubiq crew members from Galt's Gulch; Trump-meets-Reagan incompetent President Hunter backed by Unite the Right types that got their own art piece; and rogue army officer Pappa Doc who has no details whatsoever and barely even counts". Nobody else matters, looks like. I'm not going back and editing it in the prior post, but narrowing down/refining that take is necessary on my part in future discussion.

A little fried mentally considering it's 1 AM but hopefully that clarifies. The latter bit is inaccurate on my part, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not "gently caress non-libleft".

yeah i think this is an uncharitable reading of the material in question. the reason that palbicke gets 9 pages to himself is that gnat is his former employee and clearly thought a lot of him but it never gets into the hero worship you're talking about here. and there are even parts of this section where she dismissively talks about some of the shadier poo poo they did, like when she disclaims responsibility for exploiting contract workers because they followed the letter of the law. i can think of several sections in the book where gnat expresses admiration for groups like the police and the cia that reveal her true nature. and the second narrator, banhammer, is explicitly a fascist who works with the moths only out of convenience. gnat is not an unbiased observer here, but she is also not particularly left either. the whole setting section is about identifying the material causes of the collapse and then using that as a springboard to talk about why the blight hit as hard as it did, but gnat and the other characters depicted are still active participants in the carrion economy with no particular designs on building something better. the book has an anti-capitalist streak, but the conclusion it comes to is that the forces of capital are strong enough to adapt to the worst disaster in history without really losing too much in the process. its a bleak vision, for sure, but also a realistic one (leaving aside the magic zombies).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Yeah, also the fact is that the Moths are the Good Folks in the situation...but, well, Stokes is a Marxist and he's pretty academically read and up to date on, uh, the reality of good guys in a given situation. They're the good folks, directly compared to the DHQS and what's gone down since the Crash, but they're insurgents and incredibly biased because if they weren't bastards and were thoughts-and-prayers "let's sit at a table and discuss this" opposition, either the Casualties would've killed them all years ago or the DHQS would've. Not to excuse their behavior, just that there's a lot of bias at play because Gnat's explicitly writing this all to be her manifesto and her side of the story because the DHQS has spent years turning her into the next bin Ladin and there's generations of feral kids growing up to know her as the face of the Devil but not how to read or write.

yeah, absolutely. the moths are the good guys because gnat is writing the manifesto, but if you read between the lines they're really only good in the sense that they're not active raiders. they maintain the ubiq, but even gnat points out that the only reason for it is that while it does benefit the loss and beyond it is the only thing that keeps the recession from blowing them to bits with a cruise missile. i do think that the comparisons to galt's gulch are on-point, but u-city is like what happens to galt's gulch after the apocalypse.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

A little late but I wanted to get back to you on this (and, again, tangentially to other replies). I'll have tonight's post up when I'm home, really.

The issue with "let's filter everything through unreliable narrators" is that if you decide to only have unreliable narrators and only ever give one unreliable narrator's view of events, while writing the section that is supposed to be hard facts of the setting so that GMs can accurately represent it and players have an accurate grounding in it, there is no distinction to be made between the character's view and the "facts". There are no facts to work with; you're required to take the narrator's words as gospel, or dive into homebrew territory. While I'd contend nearly every group immediately dives into homebrew territory before they even start a game, that's not the same as saying that homebrew-as-solution is desirable. The resulting issue I take with Red Markets' setting is that it's very clearly aimed to impart Gnat's views and morality (flawed as it is) as "the way the world works". What are the odds that every Recession official is a corrupt bastard with better than coinflip odds of being incompetent to top it off? Really, really low, but we barely get any examples against it because Gnat's view is "the entire Recession is a hellhole run by corrupt bastards, whether in office or a valet in some Free Parking ghetto". There's room for competence - like you acknowledged, intelligence services and the like get acknowledged as competent - but the entire setting is so hung on Gnat's, and later Banhammer's, biases that you cannot get a coherent, realistic, and most of all reasonable interpretation of the setting.

i do not think gnat is an unreliable narrator. she is accurately reporting the facts of the loss and the recession. she's putting her observations and spin on it, sure, but i see no reason to question her account. i'm not talking about an unreliable narrator. you absolutely should go ahead and assume that the dhqs is full top to bottom with goose-stepping assholes who would sooner murder you than look in your direction because that seems to a pretty accurate assessment of how people in fascist organizations behave. if you disagree with gnat's depiction of things, that's not getting into "homebrew territory" that's just disagreeing with her worldview. also, her talk of "good cops" and her admiration for the utility teams is a complete misconception in the former situation and in the latter she's fawning over mass murderers. its not a good thing or an acknowledgement of competency, its a character flaw on her part

SkyeAuroline posted:

This is intentional. It's also a terrible approach. I don't need Stokes to yell at me for 160 pages about how the government will ruin everyone's lives if it benefits corporate backers, how capitalism is going to exploit everyone until and past its breaking point, how everyone under pressure is some degree of a terrible person... I either already know these things, or can accept that they're genre elements. If you don't write a "what is an RPG and how do they work" section because you assume someone playing a roleplaying game knows what they are and how they work (and if they don't then they can do their own research), then you also shouldn't need to write a "what is capitalism and why does it suck" section in "a game of economic horror" billed on its cycle of exploitation.

given how many people to this day will line up to lick boots for capital, i don't know how true this is. you can dislike the game's preachy tone, sure. but i found it quite cathartic to read a book and a setting that accurately takes aim at the cause of so many of our current-day problems and gives it both barrels. its not just another zombie game that starts off with the world being fine and then boom, zombies ruin everything, it goes into the deep issues that were already there and extrapolates them into the new crisis. to me, it represents a continuation of the social commentary that founded the genre in the living dead movies that so often gets overlooked, ignored, or twisted into right-wing narratives instead.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Re: hero worship, I'm not talking in character. Stokes falls into great man theory with what he attributes to Palbicke. He's an inherent genius with no regard for any actual circumstance who, again, upon getting access to a computer for the first time in his life promptly hacks his way into enrolling in Yale under a false identity and getting past every step of the way there, then makes a fortune by writing two magic algorithms to solve for the entire economy and inadvertantly predict the future (before we even touch Ubiq!); there's no element of "how the hell can he do any of this" except "because he's inherently great and can do great things with his greatness". There's half of "great man theory" by definition- he's born with the traits that let him rise to success and lead mankind, there's jack poo poo indicating he learned or worked for any of this (and plenty of counterevidence that no, he didn't work for anything, his magic algorithms that only he could have come up with did it for him).

What's the second half? "The need for them has to be great for these traits to then arise, allowing them to lead". Well, considering Palbicke comes up in the book amid a tirade about the end of the free internet, the progressive collapse of the very markets Spawn and Cull are later let loose in, entering a society where he conveniently has all the answers to all the problems & can outwit those pesky capitalists and incompetent government who just can't understand the things he does to put himself in a seat of influence... All of this could be just bull from Gnat's perspective intentionally written as such, but remember: this setting gives you no other perspectives! Take Gnat's words as gospel or leave the setting as written. I'm not here to write a review of Red Markets as I'd run it; I'm writing about the text we are given.

This is getting my blood pressure up so I'm going to stop complaining about Palbicke. I think my points are already made and hope they're coherent. Stokes can write systems well. He cannot write fiction to save his life and absolutely cannot write anything technical (this is going to keep coming up through the end of the book).

insofar as palbicke is some great man (he's not, he disappears from the narrative as soon as the blight hits and if not for gnat i don't think anyone would be talking about him at all) his only exceptional trait is a preternatural gift for information absorption. he bummed around the world picking up information from better thinkers and incorporating it into his work. the book even talks about how spawn and cull are just a half-assed recreation of the south korean tech that he based it on. and unlike south korea, which organized and directed a national project to bring their system to life, america was only saved by one guy who figured out how to recreate it but not for the national good, only for his own enrichment and the realization of his lifelong obsession with making a free internet. if there's any great man theory to be derived from this, its in how often a single man will get credited for the work the work of many that he either took credit for or outright stole (as it is implied palbicke did during his time in south korea).

stokes' ability to write fiction is subjective, of course. i'll just offer my own opinion here and say that the intro fiction/setting overview of red markets is my favorite fiction i've read in an rpg, and i generally hate fiction in my rpgs

Serf
May 5, 2011

I run Lancer and I'm sticking close to 3 combats between full repairs. That translates to one combat per session, of course, given how crunchy everything is.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reminds me of Uncharted 2 where at the end the villain does the whole "we're not so different, you and I" thing and Drake is like "no" but you just spent the last 10 hours or so gunning down a truly staggering amount of mooks to get here. It shows the limitations of what videogames can do, but it's also very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Drake's actually right, though, because the villain Lazarevic killed a lot of people doing warcrimes and Nathan just killed a bunch of war criminals. That's fundamentally different.

The question wasn't about the moral character of the people he killed though. Generic villain main was just commenting on how bloodthirsty Drake is, and the game reinforces this because you have to kill those people, you're not allowed to progress nonviolently. And Drake isn't some upstanding figure himself, he's a western adventurer, going on romps through "exotic" locales and bringing death and destruction with him. Don't get me wrong, I love those games just like I love Indiana Jones, but they are pretty hosed up if you think about them.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, no, that's not a limitation inherent to videogames, that's a limitation inherent to hack writers. :v:

There are plenty of games where you'd absolutely have the option to not kill a single person on your way to the final villain and actually have that be a meaningful or game-defining choice.

Ultimately it comes down to this. If your game is going to be an action-adventure story with lots of shooting dudes, either make your protagonist someone who is okay with that choice or just don't have someone call attention to the amount of bodies they leave behind them.

To bring this back to TTRPGs, I've been trying to run more games where violence is something that is applied with more discretion. Like seriously challenging the players to find a solution that doesn't involve death, at least in situations where perhaps there are material motivations and not just "oh these guys are evil, don't worry about it." Like yeah sometimes there's no choice because they're not willing to talk or whatever, but I've been trying to write more situations where the opportunity for compromise exists, which is one thing I think TTRPGs have the advantage.