Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

It definitely took a while for 1st edition to really figure out what it wanted to do, especially with the first three games.

I think Vampire actually knew exactly what it wanted to be, which is basically late Revised oVampire without the metaplot, Elders, and unnecessary cruft. It's a very streamlined Vampire experience, which makes it a bit unremarkable compared to oVampire, but it's very clear about what it wants to be: you play a sexual assault metaphor who's part of a secret organization in conflict with other secret organizations.

Whereas nWerewolf doesn't know what it's about at all, except that it's not oWerewolf. Hanging around in war form all the time so you can be a big furry? Not allowed. Having sex in werewolf form? Not allowed. it tries to curtail the excesses of oWerewolf but it doesn't have much to replace them with, in part because it doesn't seem to have much pop-cultural material about werewolves to draw on. The WoD werewolf is a unique take, whereas the WoD vampire is refined from the ore of pop culture.

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people, but I've yet to hear a single, well, story, or positive comment about nVamp. Like, that's not to say that I hear bad stories about it. Just no one mentions it. Ever.

nVampire is good, it has some truly excellent sourcebooks (Damnation City, Night Horrors: the Wicked Dead, Requiem for Rome, and some of the Clanbooks), and it's probably the best system out there for getting right to the "essential (low-power) Vampire experience": you feed, you partake in complex politics between secret societies, you try to set yourself up as a feudal lord in an organized crime syndicate, you gently caress up and encounter weird mystical things, you end up killing a lot of people and losing your grip on humanity.

While it doesn't have the deep metaplot of oVampire, it still has a lot of pretty cool setting writing - in some ways better, because instead of having to rigidly define things, it provides suggestions and options that can be used as plot hooks or just set the mood and tone. It's also very flexible, with options for how to take different thematic approaches to vampires and horror being provided as tools.

DalaranJ posted:

Imagine how bad of a bartender you would have to be to not be able to come with an answer to "where can someone find a little adventure around here". That's not a dumb question. It's a question that thousands of bartenders doubtlessly answer every day, because that's part of their job.

There's basically three ways to understand the question in a realistic context:
1) What can I do for entertainment in town?
2) Where's the brothel?
3) I'm looking to hire on a mercenary, who should I talk to about that?

Not exactly unreasonable questions to ask of an innkeeper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Someone had to hire Phil to write that book. Like, I know that it's a book about hypersexed furries because Phil wrote it. But someone also hired Phil to write a book about hypersexed furries in TYOOL 2007.

A lot of Brucato's bad reputation comes from having written that book, so he was probably a "safer" hire in 2007.

What's really perplexing is that he got hired afterwards.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

hyphz posted:

See? What am I supposed to say about that? Just a bunch of stuff about how great Smolensk is with absolutely no guidelines on how to do this ourselves.

So many people writing guides on creative things use their own writing as examples and and I have never seen it come off in a way that doesn't make me want to strangle them for being smug bastards jerking themselves off to how great they are.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Atomic Blonde

It's expressly about the Demons being a way to tell a spy novel story, so there's so many spy novels and thrillers you can use.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 5, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Matrix is really just an expression of the hidden world of special people who Know Secrets that exploded in the 90s that the WoD itself is another expression of.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Only with a lot of trans symbolism.

The LGBT/queer metaphors of the hidden world of special people predates the first edition of Vampire.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

“Quite” can be used to mean “not very” in the same way that “bless your heart” can be used to mean “gently caress you.”

“Oh, yes, she’s quite pretty, I suppose...”

I think that's 100% context and tone of voice and has nothing to do with 'quite' itself.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Hit points are a binary metric. Either you're fine (whether that be at 100 hp or 1 hp) or you're in negatives bleeding out, which doesn't map to the idea of a desperate swordfight.

I think that's a way too narrow and D&D-centric definition.

I think what characterizes hit points is their ablative nature. You have some number of hit points, and you can have these ablated away to make bad things happen to you. This makes wounds cumulative along a single track, with one or more thresholds associated with it. It's distinct from systems without some way to make wounds cumulative towards a threshold, such as HârnMaster.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone posted:

I cited it as a "For Christ's sake don't do this poo poo in your game" in the WoD thread, but after having re-read Carcosa, I'm considering doing a review of it. I'm hesitant to do this because I really like my new (to me) MacBook Pro and I don't want to ruin it by vomiting blood from my eyeballs.

Having liveblogged a reading of it, I think the main issue you'd run into is that it's honestly just frightfully dull except for the spell list - and the spell list isn't even interesting, it's just 30 variations upon human sacrifice and rape.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

There's always something darkly hilarious about nerd organizations devoted to screaming about how the 'x-risks' will be cool science fiction plots like aliens or super AI rebellions or whatever while mostly supporting the politics of things that make the real, existent 'x-risks' more and more probable.

The X-Risks supplement has a sidebar where it suggests that capitalism is an existential risk. Like yeah Posthuman Studios are nerds but they're Seattle anarchist nerds and they wear that on their sleeves.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Libertad! posted:

coughdisastrousclimatechangecough

I didn't say it was wrong.

I think it was eyeroll-wrothy, but that mostly has to do with being really tired of yet another anarchist polemic interrupting my roleplaying game about shooting robots in space.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone posted:

At that point the party has a fun character who's a Fighter/Thief that's immune to fear effects and can use that Taunt ability to debuff enemies. The secret to playing a Kender is "don't be an rear end in a top hat to the other players." Once you set that up, why wouldn't you want a Kender in the group? They're great.

Kender do three things:
1) Say that the way in which you should be playing a Kender is to be a thief who takes things other people care about. If people didn't care, they wouldn't object, and the example Kender wouldn't have to constantly make excuses.
2) Give permission to players who want to steal things from other players. Yes yes, don't play with assholes, etc. but in my experience you often don't have complete control over who you play with and some people are perfectly nice people except when you give them an excuse to be annoying little shits. In any case, the game shouldn't be encouraging bad behaviour in the first place.
3) Say that anyone who objects to having their stuff taken by kleptomaniac compulsive liars is, morally, in the wrong for not liking the kleptomaniac little shits.

These are all problems that can be fixed by open communication between players and establishing borders for what is and isn't OK in the game, but that's being an adult and being an adult is difficult, especially if you're actually teenagers - and the Dragonlance doesn't make this easy by saying that annoying kleptomaniacs are a playable part of the setting.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone posted:

This is where a game benefits from having a Game Master - a person who says "Yeah, this is what the setting says, but in the context of Wilikin not stealing from Grimwrath Bloodsail, the PC 20 Str Minotaur pirate and Grimdark not using his axe to chop Wilikin into Kender kibble, we're gonna do it this way."

I don't think that's a benefit: the Game Master could just as easily say "This is what the setting says, Wilikin should be taking your magic items randomly, if Bloodsail wants to hack him to pieces that's OK and it's William's problem if he doesn't like having his characters murdered by Bob's characters."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone posted:

One of the points of having a Game Master is to interpret/alter the setting and rules to best fit himself and his group of players. The GM in the Wlikin/Bloodsail game could easily say "RAW and if Bloodsail murders Wilikin tough poo poo." Of course, that's likely to lead to hard feelings between the two players which could end up with the group dissolving, but the GM is certainly free to take that risk.

And let's face it, good GMs "fix" games all the time. They rework published adventures to fit their party and change other aspects of the setting. One of the GMs I played with thought the idea that certain spheres of magic were restricted by alignment seemed asinine. Granted that Black Robes might be more likely to employ Necromancy spells, but it's not like only Good wizards should have access to Abjuration.

[...]

Basically, a role-playing game is a game first or foremost. It's supposed to be a fun activity. And if certain aspects of the rules and setting are making that game less than fun for those participating, those aspect should reasonably be de-emphasized or altered.

Yes, they should be altered. And if they should be altered, then they should have been altered before publication. If Kender should be altered, then Kender are, in fact, not fine. As JcDent put it:

JcDent posted:

I bristle at the idea that a product I paid money for leaves me work to do. I already have a system to master, I don't need the work of fixing it. I paid you money with the hopes that you did the work for me, drat it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

Who wants a writeup of The Lawnmower Man?

It's the only LEG RPG I know nothing about. Please please please do a writeup!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

In every RPG I've ever encountered that elaborates on it even a tiny bit, "Carousing" is used as a synonym for "partying."

EDIT: That'll be 23 experience to…be Aleister Crowley, I guess. I'm sure that slays at parties.

Every time I see Brucato's attempts at writing skills I die a little more inside. gently caress you and your complete inability to explain things. Not to mention the sheer ugliness implied by a skill for pushing the boundaries of other people having an explicit sexual application.

There's a lot of people who should be very, very ashamed this train wreck of a draft was ever allowed to see print.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

Crowley probably partied hard but I wouldn't say that it was definitional... using him as an exemplar for Occult or Rites or some kind of Write Magical Manual skill would make sense. I'm starting to think this Brucato guy ain't that well read!

I think the best example I can think of of Brucato just not being well read but trying to come off as cool and erudite on pop culture was that he attributed "more human than human" to Rob Zombie.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

quote:

When Stuck, Get More Intel

I wonder if you can do something like a PbtA trigger here: literally have Moves that trigger when players start bogging down in hypothetical from few clues. The response pyramid even tells you which results can populate a list of things that happen, though I'm fond of "a man with a gun walks in the door" as an option for what should happen when someone gets bogged down in vague clues.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Count John Dracula (yes, that is really his name), Vlad's son from his second marriage.

Names are always kind of difficult for old, non-English people. For example, looking for John Dracula I found his sister-in-law "Anna Vas de Crege", which only gives hits quoting In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires, whereas "Anna Wass de Czege" gives a ton of hits on an actual Hungarian noble family from the same period. This allowed me to find a Swedish-language book on Dracula, which gives the name of John Dracula as "Johannes Drakulya" who had a nephew by the same name, though the first names may be modernized somewhat. (Conveniently John Dracula as used in NBA is one who has a strong connection to Hunedoara castle - and his granddaughter/great granddaughter Anna Draculya marries Paulus Geczy-Papp-Drakulya, was was the trustee keeper of Szentgothárd castle)

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 1, 2020

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Thing is, it's not actually hard to improv this game. I mean, coming up with a challenge on the fly isn't really any more work-intensive than establishing the stakes of an action roll in Blades in the Dark, for example. You're just coming up with a good, great, and bad outcome, and maybe an idea for an extra problem the player could take on in exchange for a bonus die.

This certainly works well for some people, but establishing the stakes of an action roll in BitD is the most work-intensive part of BitD. Improvisation and creating an appropriate fiction are skills not everyone have, and BitD is very light on frameworks to help that process along.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Finally got around to getting NBA: Solo Ops in the humble bundle package. That makes it the second Night's Black Agents product, and probably the second product, I've bought largely on the strength of recommendations from this thread.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

I know what you mean by this but I cannot stop picturing Jordan dunking over Dracula.

A player in my girlfriend's girlfriend's Night's Black Agents game didn't know what "the NBA roleplaying game" was, so he made Charles Barkley, jewel thief.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Something about the Neo-New York currency being neo-shekels is making me go :raise:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

TBH, I literally only got as far as thinking "huh, the score/downtime/blowback/score loop of Blades maps really well to the espionage genre, and as far as I know nobody's done a Forged in the Dark superspy game. Maybe I should do that someday." I figure you could use the backgrounds in NBA as a good basis for playbook concepts, and crew sheets could cover whether your group is, like, a CIA black ops team, a Mission: Impossible style disavowable cell operating without oversight, an Archer-style freelance intelligence service, or a bunch of ex-spies on a mission like Ronin or NBA. That's about as much work as I did before Solo Ops came along and did pretty much everything I wanted for NBA mechanically.

I briefly considered trying to hack BitD to let me play Person of Interest with the serial numbers filed off. However, I ran into the problem that BitD is a game that relies heavily on improvization and the players and referee flavouring abstract mechanics, and I have a broken brain that panics when I don't have rigid frameworks to support and encourage me. Trying to apply this to more people than me, I think that one of the major challenges a FitD spy game would face is that outside of like, James Bond/Mission Impossible, spy thrillers are a niche genre and most people might not be all that familiar with the tropes and conventions, so the game would have do a lot of heavy lifting in teaching the players or structuring the game to make the players think like spy thriller authors.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

That's certainly true, but it's also true of pretty much any game that aims to emulate a genre or setting people might not be super familiar with. Both NBA and Solo Ops have chapters on spy tradecraft, for instance, and the Leverage RPG has a whole section of grifts and con jobs. Even when it's wholly fictional, this kind of thing is really useful--Star Trek Adventures dedicates a few pages to how to come up with appropriately Star Trek-themed technobabble.

For sure if I was going to make Spies in the Cold as an actual, commercially-released FitD espionage game, I'd include both player-facing and GM-facing advice on how to act like a spy and how to emulate the structure of spy fiction (that last part is actually something Blades already does pretty well, the cycle of "score -> downtime and planning -> next score" maps really well to NBA's "thriller structure" idea that "the reward for danger is new information, new information leads you into more danger").

Certainly, but I think FitD-style games are extra reliant upon it, because they're so focused on "playing the fiction" that you need to know exactly what the fiction is. And while the overall cycle is very structured and detailed, the moment-to-moment stuff is more loosely handled.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Yes... it was. It was easy enough for me on xbox, but not on PC.

Trying to find and line up weird moving bits of my screen with the arrow keys was difficult enough. Doing it with my imprecise, twitchy mouse movements was worse. Having to do both at once was basically impossible.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

As near as I can tell Hring is a purely fictional character--the closest I can find is Sigurdr Hring, but he was a King of Denmark and supposedly the father of Ragnar Lothbrok, so he's almost 500 years too late for this period.

It's Hring, son of Raum the Old. Hring was purportedly the king of Ringerike, a central location in Norway. His claim to the title King of Norway comes from being the grandson of Nór, the mythical first king of Norway (as opposed to Harald Hårfagre, the other maybe mythical first king of Norway) and ancestor of all Norwegians. Nór was son of Thorri, but it's unclear/ambiguous if Thorri and Thor are actually the same figure.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

:doh: Excellent catch! You'd think I would have remembered to check Hversu Noregr byggðist to identify the king of goddamn Norway. You're absolutely right, and I'm sure the authors of Yggdrasil decided that Thorri and Thor are the same figure so that they could have the three royal dynasties claim descent from the three chief gods venerated at Uppsala. Thanks for pointing that out!

No problem. Being able to do searches in Norwegian is of some utility in situations like this, even if the orthography is terribly confusing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone posted:

Dear God, I love this site for stuff like somebody being able to do Norwegian Google. It reminds me of the old WEF (Warren Ellis Forum) on Delphi back in the late 90s. 50K+ diverse, weird, creative people bringing all kinds of knowledge and experience to bear on just about any possible question or problem.

Not gonna lie, it's super weird to have Norwegian treated like arcane knowledge. It's spoken by five million people in a European country with 93.5% internet access and good English skills, it's not ancient Sumerian or anything.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

The only one of his advisors who counsels caution is the famed Gautr hero Bjovulf, already renowned as a great warrior and slayer of monsters. Yes, the Gautar are the Geats, and Hugleik is the Old Norse form of Hygelac. I'm not sure where Yggdrasil gets "Aegthjof" as the name of his father, though; in Beowulf his father is Hrethel.

It's not entirely clear if Hugleik, son of Alf and Bera, and Hygelac, son of Hrethel, are actually the same figure. The description of Hugleik as an unadventurous king fits Hugleik better than Hygelac. The presence of Beowulf then speaks to an attempt to unite the two myths, which means making choices about how to consolidate contradictory myths. Though I will say, having Aegthjof/Ecgþeow/Eegþeow/Eggthiov/Edgetho/Ecgtheow/Ægthjof as Hugleik's father stands out since Ægthjof is typically Beowulf's father, and Hygelac's brother in law.

...that is, until I found a bunch of genealogy websites that for whatever reason give Hrethel's name as Ecgdwala Hrethel, Lord of the Swydd and Picti, and claims Hugleik's mother was descendent from the Hephthalites.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 29, 2020

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

It wasn't a very funny joke in the first place. :colbert:

Like the problem is you treated fluency in a fairly prolific language group like it was arcane knowledge, and then defended your patronizing ignorance by invoking the stereotype of Americans being ignorant. That comes off less as self-deprecationg and more as an abrogation of responsibility.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Stephenls posted:

Also, funfact: That picture above that's censored? The art note did not instruct the artist to draw the middle priest topless. That was a surprise when the art came back.

Everything I hear about getting art done for RPGs has left me horrified.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Most bondi own at least a small plot of land, but others work as hired hands on larger farms. Importantly, the bondi are free people, with all the rights and privileges thereof, whether or not they own land. They can participate in the thing*, buy and sell property, get married, and start a family without any permission required from the upper class*. The book also tells us that bondi are required to work the lands of their jarls, which sounds suspiciously like later medieval manorial feudalism to me, and I'm not aware of this being mentioned in the sagas.

We don't really know how things worked before ca. 900. It's known that there was an increase in manorialism and centralization of land ownership from that time onward, but the details are scarce. That said, it might also be a conflation of sources or terms. While some articles on viking society (broadly applicable to the vendel period) describe bondi as free men who typically own or rent land, other describe bondi as people who pay off debts to the jarls by working the land, with karls being the people who are not bound to the land. The structure is then:

Thralls: slaves
Bondi: "free" men in debt bondage
Karls: free men who own or rent land
Jarls: nobility

This is further complicated by local variations in time and place and changes to what terms mean over time.

GimpInBlack posted:

In fact, the most consistent term used to describe slaves in the sagas is "sunburned" (older translations usually render this as "swarthy," which :yikes:, but that's more about 19th century racism than anything else), and when they are named, their names usually translate as things like "Ugly," "Bad-Smell," "Lazy," and similar abusive terms. Whether that's a literary conceit or the way slaves were actually addressed is unclear, but it definitely shows how they were thought of.

The origin myth of the social classes, Rígsþula, from somewhere between 900 and 1250 CE, describes Thrall as "svartan" which, well...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Ha, funny that even back in the 70s fantasy fans were contrasting the obviously superior Katana to the "crude" blades of Europe. Makes you wonder if Gygax was taking a specific stance in the fandom discourse of the time by not including them?

The very first edition of Dungeons & Dragons just doesn't have enough fidelity: it has "Sword" and "Sword, Two-Handed" and in combat all weapons do 1d6 damage. Going back to Chainmail (Gygax' contributions are often overstated) it's even simpler with a single entry for "Sword". However, if we look to the rules on Japanese troops, their basic foot soldiers have superior morale and the samurai are considered to have a morale of 9, among the highest in the game. By AD&D 1e, the 2-3 foot wakizashi does d8/d8 damage, while the 2 foot sword, short does d6/d8 damage, and the 3 foot katana does d10/d12 damage while the standard 3.5 foot sword, long does d8/d12 damage.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

The Lanze (no idea what it is)

That's the West German PzF-44, a recoilless anti-tank grenade launcher from the 60s.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Commando Marine, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Ine Givar, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire Third Imperium armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in the known universe, mark my loving words.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Oh, I was talking about CR in GURPS specifically; from what I remember you’re right, Law Level was absolutely gun control level.

quote:

CR2 – Free. Some laws exist; most benefit the individual. Taxes are light. Access to items of LC0 and LC1 is controlled.
[...]
CR4 – Controlled. Many laws exist; most are for the convenience of the state. Broadcast communications are regulated; private broadcasts (like CB) and printing may be restricted. Taxation is often heavy and sometimes unfair. Access to items of LC0 through LC3 is controlled.
[...]
CR6 – Total control. Laws are numerous and complex. The individual exists to serve the state. Many offenses carry the death penalty, and trials – if there are any at all – are a mockery. Taxation is crushing, taking most of an ordinary citizen’s income. Censorship is common, and private ownership of any information technology is forbidden. All goods are controlled, and the government might even withhold basic necessities.

Regulating the CB band is basically like heavy and unfair taxation. The complexity of the US legal code means that it's basically a totalitarian dictatorship where ownership of computers with Internet access, let alone a firearm, is illegal.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I was thinking about how to do this like a Fate-style trait, like a character receives bennies or fate points or what have you if they flirt or hit on someone and maybe get a bonus if the target character actually reciprocates.

Trying to rack my brain for how this archetype typically acts and it's a mix of doing things for free or cheap for women ("The dame couldn't pay much, but I couldn't let a case like hers go unsolved..."), being unable to walk away or cut their losses when a woman is involved (typical protagonist stuff), and exposing themselves to danger by thinking the best of women, underestimating them, and/or thinking with their dick ("I wasn't sure she wasn't the one who'd put her husband six feet under, but she was wearing a low-cut dress, so despite the smell of bitter almonds rising from the cocktail she'd handed me, I took a sip.").

The more comical side of the archetype has them get themselves pulled into a lot of zany schemes because of this (a comical reframing of the willingness to do anything for a woman), being ludicrously suggestible whenever a woman is involved (a comical reframing of the patronizing tendency to not see women as threats), and having a string of former flings and affairs that complicate things.

I'd probably divide it into four categories:
1) When negotiating something like a price, the Lustful character always acts at a disadvantage towards opportunistic targets of their desire.
2) The Lustful character leaves themselves vulnerable to attacks from targets of their desire. Giving someone a Fate Point for drinking the cyanide would fit in here.
3) The Lustful character makes plots centered on themselves happen. To use GURPS terms, they have Allies, Dependents, and Enemies that appear from time to time, acting as plot hooks. This is in many ways not a disadvantage or flaw, but an advantage, because it puts the spotlight on the Lustful character.
4) The Lustful character can push themselves to accomplish something for targets of their desire. This too is an advantage rather than a disadvantage, since it allows the Lustful character to accomplish more.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FMguru posted:

One of the reasons I was kind of disappointed in Gumshoe/Trail of Cthulhu was that the big innovation in the system (you always get the appropriate clue you need to progress in the scenario! No more dead ends because nobody made their Library Use skill!) was solving a problem that CoC had mostly solved in its first iteration.

A lot of people heap praise upon Gumshoe foe finally "solving" investigation, but it's really only put front and centre that, hey, important clues shouldn't be locked behind rolls you can fail. It's a more elegant solution than 22 rolls of Idea/Luck/Know, but it's nothing more than GM advice turned into a formal rule.

...somewhat awkwardly too, since the heavy mechanical emphasis on this being part of what you do with the Investigative Skills means that you can still accidentally lock clues behind things like a room full of enemies, a dangerous jump, or similar barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

That's about where I am, with the added effect of being very annoyed that CoC also influenced the development of stress/mental health systems in RPGs very heavily, leading to many, many imitators. Which annoy me on both the ethical/problematic level, but also that it depicts mental struggle purely as 'now you have major penalties/extremely anti-social or troublesome behaviors'. I think I made an error calling it a loss of 'control' in the review, when what I'd be interested in is a model of stress and distress that centered around retaining player agency.

My ideal system would have breakpoints where the players, themselves, come up with the things they do to cope, or the unproductive things the stress and terror of the moment make them do, rather than being focused on 'now the GM decides what dumb poo poo you get up to' on a gameplay level. Revealing what characters do in emotionally fraught moments is intriguing. Tracking how someone copes when they're exhausted or deeply afraid is also a way you can start talking about how people live with their issues and can come back around to more positive portrayals. While still possibly letting you track stress and have a pressure mechanic that provides tension and helps people put themselves in the characters' shoes about how unpleasant what they're dealing with is.

On a recent bus trip I reflected on how I felt that a lot of things, especially of the "keeping up appearances" kind, were things I found really difficult now but treated as second nature before I got sick. My mind then immediately leapt to how I could mechanize this as an RPG experience, and I had this idea that like... when you get put in a stressful situation in a game and need to draw on some extra reserves, you could tag an Issue and just get those reserves. But in return, the Issue is now, well, an issue, and you have to deal with it.

Because, like, there's aspects to my social anxiety, autism, and depression that I used to just handle without thinking about it. But then fell apart, and now suddenly things that felt so easy to do are insurmountable tasks, and it feels like I flipped a switch that made it go from "a bit tiresome" to "exhausting" when I went through a depressive period. And that's something I know other people experience too, often described as "falling back in" or a relapse. You've managed the situation, it's manageable, you're at the point in your life where you can manage it as a matter of course--then something stressful happens that needs those resources invested into "not falling apart" and you manage the stressful situation, but are now falling apart.