Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The more I look at the paranoia comics the more confused I get.
Been thinking for a while it was an inexplicable mishmash of Zap/Straight but the comics seem to have come out long before XP.
I... don't get it, and I'm not sure whoever wrote the comic did either.
E: Who is it for? Why is it? How?

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

If the publishing dates here are any indicator; It looks like the comic ran from Nov 1991 to Aug 1992, so the tail end of second edition.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

S'pose Khorne had to do something with all those other non-skull bones just laying around
I mean, what else were they gonna do, take up bone carving? start another pile for each kind of bone?
"Tibias go in this pile, femurs go in that pile on the side, ribs over there..." :v:
'course, now I'm picturing some unlucky khornate assigned to bone-sorting duty; grumbling all day long at being denied their rightful skulltaking

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Occasionally spirited mortals find their way into Rants, attracted by the noise and violence, though most are driven away in short order.
Amused at the thought a few stubborn regular humans not only get to be around one of these gatherings, but might even participate.
(Probably not for long, as they either likely get munched/ghouled/brought into the Brujah/etc, but still.)
e: "Yeah they aren't Brujah, but they're Brujah."

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 30, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Only effective against one target at a time, the victim of Horrid Reality believes completely that the illusion before them exists, and thus can harm them (illusory fire will burn, illusory walls will stop them, illusory bullets will wound them, etc.).

I get the impression a cheeky vampire could run away with some real (if brief) nonsense here if it suited them.
Want to cross from one place to another? Use it on yourself so there's a ladder/bridge/etc, and just move right on over, it's tangible enough (to you.) until it wears off.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 31, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Small Howitzer (105mm) - Requires a crew of four to operate (two to load, one to aim, one to fire). Minimum difficulty is a 5 (after five rounds of having the target corrected) and reduce the difficulty by 1 for a forward observer correcting the aim. A successful hit drops the difficulty to 5. Damage Pool is 30. Base difficulty is 10.
:allears:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Doors to the unknown really left something to be desired.
Did spark some ideas for me though, so that's something? :shrug:
more credit to wasted potential than the actual adventure in and of itself

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 21, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

PC's really would've been better off helping that one modron go home instead of this orcus business, huh

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

bit slow on the draw, but re: Chantries
from what I could see, I'm not wholly convinced Lo Pan and friends should've even been in the nephandi section
They are evil, but they don't really strike me as Nephandi Grade Evil(tm) Chantry so much as a Rogue Chantry (run by a former/technically nephandi).
Iunno, not enough weird gribblies, bizarre spacial dimensions, nigh-guaranteed damnation (insidiousness varying), that sort of thing.
e: and, y'know. some non-nephandi chantries in the same book being markedly worse.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 10, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

think there's some rogue [i]talicization.

anyways bit miffed at the Marauder's inclusion in this one.
comes off as
"Hey, we have a marauder chantry yet?"
"no"
"eh just put em on a spooky boat, call it a day"
which is a disservice to both marauder and boat, really.

Why not, Iunno, a traveling theater-chantry of marauders working magic (knowingly or not) to spark people's imagination and put a little wonder back in the world?
Just something more than a relative footnote where I'm left wondering why include them at all.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I guess Haight never got around to learning much about vamp's beyond things relevant to killing em/ghouls before now? :shrug:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Buenos Noches, gently caress boys
New thread title? :allears:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Advanced Carrien Sanitation fodder worker Operative.
They've seen a few sanitation jobs; got a knack for reading what the contracts say, what they actually entail, and which of those are worth the bother between better jobs.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 31, 2024

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Traveller posted:

The Goon Squad (a.k.a. Nyan Impossible, the Mort Sentai, and "oh-god-not-them")
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

We return to the story with all of them returning inside. Regina isn’t invited to the tete-a-tete, and we get to hear from Mary, Emma’s Lady’s Maid:

That last bit is a nice touch of foreshadowing. VAV features one Juliet Parr as Sheriff of London.

I have two notes. First – solid bit of classic Gothicism. Weird Slavs doing witchcraft in the countryside? Excellent, love it. Two – the dress, and their relationship. A lady’s maid is still a servant but is also a subordinate companion, so a cautious discussion with the daughter is not unreasonable, though the not-meeting-the-eyes element is more for the Lower Five than the Upper Ten. The dress, however, is interesting. Prepare for pedantry.

think there's a duplicate image here? :munch: