Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

That said: being a nasnas does have some hefty mechanical benefits. It's just, the actual experience of Abyssal Mage Sight is horrific; it's only a tempting offer if you don't consider the part where you literally have nihilism and suffering overlaid onto your senses at all times.

It worked out pretty well for Raistlin! :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed
I Can't Think Of A Second Nasnas Pun

Who’s World of Darkness is this? (The WoD is yours, the WoD is yours)

(I know it’s a cheat since it’s Chronicles now)

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Everyone posted:

If I recall correctly, Raistlin lost or drove away everyone he ever cared about and ended up getting torn to pieces in the Abyss by the Queen of Darkness, so... not really.

:thejoke:

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Vadinhowns

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Tsilkani posted:

This seems to be the fatal flaw of most OSR games, to me: interesting fluff let down by dire mechanics and/or inherent character disposability. Even stuff like Kevin Crawford's Stars Without Number, which is a well-done book, is so ridiculously lethal it's hard to imagine how you could keep any sort of campaign going without a steady stream of replacement characters. I've been wanting to try Godbound, but I'm worried the same problem exists there.

Godbound does have some flaws from its OSR chassis, but I’ve found that excessive lethality isn’t one of them.

Most Godbound have powers that can just straight up no-sell damage, and every Godbound starts with one free auto-resurrection that recharges each time you gain a level.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I honestly like the idea of running A Wizard in the FR and just changing his name to Elminster.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

quote:

I think you guys hit on both the reasons why this keeps happening.
Most designers don’t consider how much a given dungeon is paying out in XP in their preferred system. You don’t need to be good at math to get a ballpark figure, but I think your average designer doesn’t even think about it.
There are a lot of people out there who think that the Level 1 experience is the best part of D&D and that the entire game should be like it. See every first party Lamentations module, where treasure is basically non existent and the player characters are more likely to emerge degenerated in some way rather than increasing in power, if they survive at all.

This is actually one of my complaints about “A Wizard”, despite liking the module overall. Even in a successful run there is zero monetary treasure to collect, and maybe two things that barely qualify as magic items

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Wizard’s pearl idea is great! Definitely stealing that.

Night10194 posted:

I was okay with it because it was a one-shot and them getting 40 crowns for it from a grateful town that acknowledged it could never be enough but it was all they had fit WHFRP to a T.

Yeah it works better for WHF because advancement isn’t directly tied to gold, and a crown is worth something like 20 silver (a gold piece in WH is more equivalent to a platinum piece in most D&D based games, though some OSR stuff works by a silver standard). For most D&D-alikes, 40 gold is barely pocket change. That’s a really low risk/reward ratio for a dungeon where most encounters are dangerous and attack on sight. (Even more when you factor in the Abyss).

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 18, 2020

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

A big problem with lot of later D&D and the upper planes is that there’s so much of a counterbalance of good/neutral monsters bs evil it’s a wonder why these worlds need adventurers in the first place?

Ex. The maruts - if the multiverse has this built in immune system against too many zombie wizards, what’s the point of scrub-tier adventurers fighting them?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Flesh for the Flesh God, Drugs for the Drug Throne

Hedonites of Slaanesh

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

FATAL & Friends 2020: grandiose bleating about conquest and inevitable victory

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 14, 2020

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Has there ever been a successful 5e module for PCs over level 10?

Every one I've seen is either a boring combat slog or an adventure that doesn't account for just how much a high-level party is capable of, especially with casters and magic items.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I'd argue that the Illithiad modules pretty well do. There aren't any real points where the players can break the module by being able to fly/teleport and they're expected to potentially be able to kill an evil god's proxy by the end.

It’s a great adventure path but it’s designed for adventurers lvl 6-10.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

FMguru posted:

The tail end of the Gygax Giants/Drow/Spiderweb GDQ series handled high-level play pretty well.

Of course, it did it by broadly nerfing magic abilities and items. The Drow modules took place in the Underdark, where teleport spells didn't work and your enemies carried +4 swords and armor that lost its abilities if you took it out of the caverns. The final module took place in a level of the Abyss, where a whole bunch of magic spells were modified to have diminished or no effect.

So, um, maybe that isn't the best example.

To be fair, I think that's a good example of why a lot of high-level modules fall flat. So much of their text has to be devoted to arbitrary effects that exist only to *deprive* PCs of the magic that you wonder why they didn't just run it as a low-level module in the first place.

Good example is the 2e version of A Paladin in Hell, which is full of bullshit like automated sailing ships surrounded by Walls of Force and anti-teleportation measures just to stop high-level PCs from getting off of the boat under their own power.

(And, wouldn't you guess, it's a Monte Cook joint)

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Oh wow, I forgot about the feyr!

Never actually used it in my 2e games but I always liked the art as great bit of grotesque psychedelia.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I feel like having Velociraptor practically next to Literally The Alien From Alien, Probably is a bit awkward and the former kind of suffers for it.

Wolf Girl definitely made me think of Mononoke.

The book suffers a bit from having to conform to the A-Z format.

When you have to make 26 different classes, there’s bound to be some repetition.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Crit fail and you summon a hostile vampire who can stop time.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Libertad posted:

Miles’ Moving Miracles: George Miles wants to improve upon the rare, expensive, and just not all that safe array of aerial magical transport; it’s far too easy to fall off a broomstick or carpet. Starting out with floating rods that can move via a small jolt of magic, Miles improves upon this with proper vehicle frames such as coaches that can hop long distances and flying carriages powered by successive castings of levitation and mundane propulsion. The military takes interest in this and funds his company for aerial warfare, and eventually George decides to devote all of his efforts in building a machine to fly to the moon. Said pseudo-rocket looks like a giant iron tree made up of millions of Movable Rods. It will inevitably explode and shower Endon in molten iron once it takes off, or destroy the ozone layer and expose the world to unfiltered sunlight, or push the entire city into the sea by falling over.

This is a pretty great reference to turn-of-the-century French filmmaker Georges Méliès

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Wapole Languray posted:

No I don't get the frog and leech thing. Everything else is like... twisted church or Satan-y, but the frogs and leeches I don't get besides generic "evil creature" stuff.

The OSR contingent is weirdly obsessed with frogs in general for reasons unknown.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Talas posted:

Hedonites of Slaanesh

Flesh for the Flesh God, Drugs for the Drug Throne!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I actually love that art. It perfectly illustrates that dissonance between the fantasy of cyberpunk/human augmentation and the harsh reality.

That dude is walking the street all “oh yeah I’m the fuckin cyber master race!” while everyone else’s crosses the street to avoid him.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 3, 2020

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

double post

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

"Here, just hold still and I'll have that tooth out real quick."

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Any zombie story has to make the assumption that the natural process of decay is somehow delayed, because otherwise the solution to a zombie outbreak is "everyone stay inside for about a week until their muscles have rotted enough that they can no longer move."

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Skaven are 100% the best thing to come out of Warhams and the fact that even AoS left them basically unchanged stands as testament.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

All the art feels dated in that “third-party d20 supplement from 2003” sort of way.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Imperium as the final evolution of the Skaven explains a lot about the 40K setting. I love it.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Surely nobody would be foolish enough to try stuffing an entire dungeon crawl into a Delta Green shotgun scenario entry, complete with monsters, magic items, and a powerful sorcerer at the end...

The itch.io adventure “A Wizard” would be perfect for this scenario.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I love giants too but I hate when they go the lazy route of make them just big dumb cavemen who can barely dress themselves.

Give me clever giants with magnificent cloud castles any day!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

JCDent posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's a weird-rear end name.

If there's one thing :zak: is known for in his modules (besides everything else terrible), it's his terrible names. They're either random syllables mashed together or just awful puns.

Ex. The vampire queen in A Red and Pleasant Land is named... Elizabeth Bathyscape.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I’m not sure how different Supers & Sorcery is from stock 5e D&D?

Like I don’t know how putting another cape on a Wizard and renaming Fireball into Atomic Blast even changes the genre.

Post-2e D&D had always been rife with superhero tropes, especially at high levels. You look at the second panel of the first comic and I’m not sure how these characters are in any way distinct from your usual 5e party.

It’s like the creators were raised in a world where fantasy comics don’t exist.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Even 9th century Danes aren't immune to The Expression.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I just imagine the title being said by Doctor Zaius.

"Do not go to the forbidden zone foolish human!"

I hear Forbidden Zone and think that weird Danny Elfman movie with Herve Villachez as the king of the underworld.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Didn’t think we’d find a game more racist and misogynist than MYFAROG but here we are.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

How does a game like Degenesis get such high production values and website design and make it free to play without Kickstarter support or even that large of a fanbase (I’ve never heard of it outside this forum)?

Is the designer just some rich fail-son funneling all his trust fund money into this?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Beginning to think that Degenesis is less of a game and more of a manifesto for Marko’s little Discord cult-of-personality.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 3, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yea that birth control section with with the deformed kids getting murdered isn't a precursor to eugenics.

It's just eugenics, straight up.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Daughters of Khaine. Let’s check out some big tiddy elf goth gfs.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire

The blood of ages flows so sweet. Come, drink from us!

Thousand Year Old Vampire is a (normally) solo RPG by Tim Hutchings and Petit Guignol games in which one player depicts the unlife and history of one immortal vampire. After creating the vampire's mortal life and the details of their new supernatural identity, a series of randomly generated writing prompts guides the vampire through centuries worth of Experiences. The player records these Experiences as Memories, but the mind was not equipped for immortality, and as the centuries pass it becomes a struggle for the vampire to separate the past from the present. Our vampire will also content with the struggles of the outer world as well as the inner world, fighting to dominate the intrigues of both Mortals and fellow Immortals that cross their path.

Will our vampire reign for eternity as a master of the night, or succumb to the whims of entropy? Let's find out together!

The Basics: From Cradle to Grave

This will work a lot like a CYOA book; it will be an LP of a solo RPG. I will lead the charge in creating the vampire and determining the range of prompts, but anyone is free to jump in and play by suggesting from the list of chosen Prompts.

The thread will also work a bit as a review of the game itself. If you enjoy, or are curious about, solo RPGs or gothic horror, TYOV is a fantastic addition to your RPG library. You can get it on pdf, but I highly recommend the hardcover. The book is designed like a beautifully-crafted scrapbook; it is a work of art as well as a great game. You can purchase it here at https://thousandyearoldvampire.com/!

The vampire creation and story unfolding process is mainly narrative-based, which gives the player lots of leeway to craft whatever type of vampire they wish in terms of vampiric traits, powers, weaknesses, etc. However, for the purposes of the game, TYOV does make some basic assumptions about the vampire:

- They were once human, and still have human needs in one sense or another

- They are immortal; they can be destroyed by outside influences, but will otherwise exist till the end of time.

- They must feed upon human beings in some way to sustain their existence; generally it's assumed they drink blood, but you can use some other physical or ephemeral substance (flesh, brain fluid, breath, life force, mental energy, heartbeats, etc.). Because I love the classics, I'm going to have our vampire crave blood.

- They should seek to conceal themselves among who they feed.

- They have some form of environmental weakness that makes getting around by normal means difficult. Normally this is assumed to be sunlight, but you can also choose something else if you wish (rain, starlight, water, presence of flowers, etc.) Going to go classic once again and use sunlight as our weakness.

- They should be mostly a loner

- And...

Thousand Year Old Vampire posted:

The Prompts in Thousand Year Old Vampire are not necessarily geared toward complex political machinations between factions of immortal beings.
Translation: This ain't Vampire: The Masquerade, bub!

What is a Man but a Miserable Pile of Secrets?!?

We start our vampire by creating their first Memory of their mortal life. Since the game is called Thousand Year Old Vampire, we'll assume our vampire was born somewhere in the distant year of 1021 CE. Some questions will be multiple choice, others short answer questions that can be elaborated a little more.

To determine the basics, let's answer these questions...

1: What is our vampire's gender?
A: Male (he/him)
B: Female (she/her)
C: Nonbinary (they/them)

2: Where was our vampire born?
A: North America
B: South/Central America
C: Europe
D: Africa
E: Asia
F: Australia

3: What was our vampire's profession/social class in life?

Feel free to post and give your suggestions and I'll pick the best ones.

... but enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!!!

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire

The votes are in and it looks like we are looking at a nonbinary African gold smuggler from the Empire of Mali, in the reign of Mansa Musa!

(Funny enough, this will be the second time I'm creating a vampire from ancient Mali)

For some background of this fascinating time and place in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire One thing I really enjoy about TYOV is how it often leads you to deep-dives on Internet research to get some perspective of your character's history and culture.

Let's call our vampire Hawa Oblim. Now we have enough material to build their very first Experience and Memory.

Thousand Year Old Vampire posted:

Memories and Experiences are important moments that have shaped your vampire, crystallized in writing. They make up the core of the vampire’s self—the things they know and care about. An Experience is a particular event; a Memory is an arc of Experiences that are tied together by subject or theme.

Experiences cover a particular event, but the amount of time represented by that event might vary dramatically. An Experience might describe a few seconds of impactful events, or it might cover two hundred years of lurking in an old castle.

Almost every Prompt will create an Experience, and Experiences eventually combine with one another to become Memories. But there is only so much your vampire can remember. To reflect this limitation there is only a finite amount of space for Memories on your record sheet. Old Memories will be lost over the course of the game, making room for new ones. You will need to make difficult choices about which Memories to preserve and which to forget; these hard decisions are the core of the game.

In game terms, an Experience is a single sentence that describes the resolution of a Prompt. Memories are a collection of related Experiences built up over time. Your vampire begins the game with space for five Memories, each of which can contain up to three Experiences.

Although a Prompt might ask several questions, an Experience does not need to address all of them.

An Experience should be a single evocative sentence. An Experience is the distillation of an event—a single sentence that combines what happened and why it matters to your vampire. A good format for an Experience is “[description of the event]; [how I feel or what I did about it].” If necessary, you can add a dash at the end to include more information.

While this seems a bit tight in terms of total space for Memories, your vampire can also record Memories in a Diary to free up some space, at the cost of creating a physical object that is at risk of loss. Once a Diary is gone, those Memories are gone too, a portion of your vampire's past gets effectively erased. We'll go more into Diaries as we play forward.

So here's the start of Hawa's character sheet; it has their name and a single Experience to sum up the basics of their mortal life, to kick off the first Memory.

Hawa Oblim (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

1. I am Hawa Oblim, a smuggler from the city of Niani in the Mali Empire; estranged from my clan for not wanting the life of a housewife, I smuggle the city's rich reserves of gold and salt to foreigners as my trade.

Now we need to generate Characters: 3 Mortals and 1 Immortal. These characters will form the basis of our next set of Memories.

TYOV posted:

Characters are the people with whom your vampire has a relationship. Each Character should be named and described in a sentence fragment, such as Lawrence Hollmueller, descendant of Baron Hollmueller or Sister Adelpho, a meddlesome nun. Add more descriptors each time you interact with them in the course of resolving a Prompt. Lawrence, from the previous example, might become Lawrence Hollmueller, descendant of Baron Hollmueller; I freed him from a Turkish prison.

If it makes sense to include a Character when resolving a Prompt, do so even if the Prompt doesn’t tell you to include a Character. In addition, create a new Character if a Prompt instructs you to include one but none are available.

A Character can be mortal or immortal; you will be told which type when you are instructed to create a new Character. Mortals are regular human beings or other creatures that die with the passage of time.

So we need 3 mortals to make Hawa's life interesting (Note: These are all people from their life before they become a vampire).

Goons, each of you suggest 1 Mortal from Hawa's life. The best 3 will be chosen to add to the story.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 13, 2021