Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Libertad! posted:

Ring of Genie Summoning: Like Aladdin’s Lamp, but in ring form. Can summon a particular genie, who must serve the summoner faithfully after which the ring no longer works. There’s a 4% chance said genie is capable of granting 3 wishes to the summoner.

Quick point, in the pre-Disney versions, Aladdin was actually given a magic ring that literally called a genie to him - kinda neat they threw that in there along side the more recognizable magic items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Mutant Chronicles also had a terrible movie...not so much bad as offensively boring, so much so that bad that Ron Perlman actually sleepwalks through his performance instead of going ham. Despite that, it sounds like it capture more of the setting than I would have guessed. Very curious for the write-up on Mutant Chronicles proper!

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

So yes, I can definitely see that point when applied to another setting's generic entropic nihilistic force. Which I suppose is the big strike against the Abyss from what I'm seeing of it: It feels like the same force you see in lots of other fantasy and urban fantasy.

Can you elaborate on how important the abyss/abyssal touched things are to a nWOD mage campaign? Like if they are just one tool in the toolbox maybe it is ok to have a generic 'hostile lovecraft not lovecraft' force of otherness for the people who like the generic stuff while over on this side of the toolbox is the really cool poo poo. I don't really know the setting that well, aside from the opinions of someone with a major axe to grind against nWOD in general, so I am not sure how easy it is to avoid dealing with the Abyss in an average game.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Ok that's fair. And from the sound of it there do seem to be other antagonist forces to engage with on a meaningful level.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Libertad! posted:

Sirens concept-wise are a cross between harpies (who are cursed transformed monsters in Thylea) and the sirens of Greek mythology. Appearing as winged humanoids with bird-like claws and talons, they live among the islands, ports, and coastlands and are famed for their mournful songs which have magical properties..

Thanks for doing this write up! I really like this settings' deep dive into O.G. greek myths, I can't think of another fictional work that recognizes sirens originally were bird-woman. They didn't become fish-people until the Middle Ages.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Great write-up! I'm curious, what is the good deed in the tombs?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Joe Slowboat posted:

Are we talking about 2e or 3e here, because while there are shared problems they did end up being significantly different games on a structural level, and 3e definitely isn't trying to do that tetanus thing (there is a disease subsystem, because there's a subsystem for everything).

3e has leaned heavily into 'each subsystem/specialization should be a fun game for the players' and while it's a complicated, crunchy system and the subsystems are hit or miss, it's a very different design style than 2e.

Yes, but unless you're a lifer, the 2e/3e divide isn't as massive from the outside looking in. From what I've gathered, if you came up with 2e, 3e is a wonderful toolbox with some sharp edges. If you left 2e and never looked back, 3e doesn't seem all that different. Playable sure, but low bars, legacy, wtf craft, etc

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

200 pages of charms is still 200 pages of charms.

Most people aren't that excited to dive into it if they weren't already on board.

Exactly. If you are in the tank for Exalted, 3e is awesome in terms of mechanics. If not, 3e didn't change nearly enough to pull in someone who was turned off by the inherent flaws/choices made in 1e/2e.

But Essence is coming. At the very least, it might make it easier to learn Exalted.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Soulbound
Many Words.

I am very confused. From the little I knew about the Age of Sigmar, I thought Stormcast were kinda like magical animated golems with a hero's soul bonded (forged) to it. These pictures suggest they are much more flesh and blood than I was lead to believe. So, does Sigmar catch a soul, wack it with the hammer, throw it in an overgrown body and then give it the blinged out armor?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

. Years and years later, he wandered into the Forest of Arden, and there met a strange elven maiden with a magnificent pair of horns, who took away the curse placed upon his eyes by Queen Ariel and let him see the world both in and out of the forest as it really was, rather than as the Queen had wished him to see it. But that's another story. A very long story.

This whole Warhams cycle has been awesome! Thanks for going through all of that. I did have a questions, is the elf maiden quoted here an original creation or is she part of the lore somewhere?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

Warhammer 40k Roleplay: Only War
Rather, they stem from an entire small federation of planets, brought into the Emperor's light by the Mudd Dynasty of Rogue Traders.

This is brilliant. I appreciate the flavor in your write-ups so much. Thank you for subjecting yourself to OW.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
What I found strange is that GW didn't have one of their 'actually good' writers do a motive/reframe rehab on Archaon like they had ADB do with Abbadon.
Not that anything changed or will change in terms of 'storyline' but it would have been a nice gesture.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

Since someone else is picking up Lancer, does anyone have any good suggestions for stuff to review? Just God, please, don't say more Dragonlance.
If Lancer was an option, would another recent rpg work? Because there is Ultramodern 5e. I had a really frustrating experience with it as a player, and would be curious to see what the thread makes of it. It seems like I fell into ye old system mastery pitfall, but maybe it has virtues I'm not seeing. Because I failed v petrification.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
I'm new and mostly a lurker, but this thread is what drew me to SA and everything about has been fantastic. I have such a deeper appreciation for the craft (or lack thereof in some cases) that goes into an RPG now that I never would have without this thread.
Someday I will run a much better game group because of the posters here.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Age of Sigmar: Idoneth Deepkin

FISH ELVES

So they were desperate to a fault to save their children, and then immediately made them a shunned lower caste?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Froghammer posted:

Yes. The Idoneth are elves aelves at the end of the day, and that always comes with smugness. The Namarti are a burden to the Idoneth's leadership; a perpetual cause for constant raids and endless wars. It's really, really hard to forge lasting peace treaties with nominal allies when you need a steady stream of souls in order to make sure the goddamn peasants don't keep dying in droves. That causes quite a bit of resentment between the working class and the upper crust.

Their models are really, really pretty and cool and fun to paint.

Plus, eels. Who doesn't like eels?

Agree in part - aesthetics and model design-wise they are off the chain. But there is some serious tonal whiplash in the lore which is really throwing me. I'll hold off until Mors finishes his write-up. Maybe I'll be convinced to buy in.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
The sloppiness when it comes to the lore on the Deepkin just irks me. You'd think once they realized they these spiritual avatars to call on the first priority would be figuring out how to give the weak souled a jump-start.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Re: Khorne chat, I always liked the section in the Black Crusade book focused on the blood god that boiled down to 'Your god is an idiot, but you don't have to be.'

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 30, 2021

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Tibalt posted:

Lancer

Despite the limitations of the First Contact Accords, the Deimos Event is a massive windfall for SecComm. First, the disappearance of Deimos allows for the discovery and utilization of Blinkspace, a parallel dimension that allows for Faster-Than-Light travel. Union immediately begins building Blinkgates, allowing for (relatively) rapid transit between star systems. Second, Union discovers Non-Human Persons (NHP). NHP are basically sci-fi movie AI, with sapience, self-awareness, and distinct personalities. They're also Mini RAs, and need to 'shackled' to a Human frame of reference lest they begin to 'cascade' - a traumatic event where the NHP 'thinks themselves beyond’ the constrained state of human perception and the fundamental laws of causality. NHPs and RA will be getting their own post, I promise you.

[b]Part 1 & 2
Part 4: ThirdComm - Once More, With Feeling

I ranted about NHPs in the discord already, so I am definitely interested in how you unpack the concept.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

For those of us not there, want to rant a bit more?

Tempting! But I don't want to step on someone's F&F. I will go over all that when they cover NHPs in more detail.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Tibalt posted:

Lancer

Part 4: ThirdComm - Once More, With Feeling

The result is a universal sense that these years are the antebellum period before a reckoning, where ThirdComm will need to come to terms with whether it truly is a revolution or not, and the temporary compromises Union has made will break down. So far Union has been able to navigate the situation with diplomacy and minimum force, but the ‘flashpoints’ are building up and are threatening to boil over into total violence.

Part 5 - RA, NHP, and Comp/Cons, Oh My!

This helps tremendously with my understanding of the setting. The instability seems to be a critical part of the setting, which I straight up missed in the Core book. Although, from the book, I really don't have a good sense of how to run the Union blowing apart the seams on a session by session level, which I am sure is partially on me, but it contributes to the setting feeling static, which I guess it isn't supposed to feel that way?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Everyone posted:

Sometimes you have to wait until tomorrow to solve a problem because somebody's psychotic machine intelligence is trying to kill your rear end today.

For me, this is the crux of my issue with the whole NHP concept in Lancer. It claims to want to be about shooting fascists and 'utopia in progress' and then goes and swerves hard into the framework of not fixing a problem because the Other is trying to eat you. And this seems to be unintentional on the part of the authors.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I would disagree on this.

Mainly because I think the whole NHP stuff is really overblown in the way that fans of Lancer talk about it. NHP's and Dhiyed and Ra and Monist entities in general? They don't really matter and, I would argue, do not seem to have any direct interaction with the main players in the current galactic set up.

I agree, big scary god-AI isn't important to Lancer, but the fact is the the backbone of the setting rests on exploited sapient beings, utterly controlled by the Union, as per the Corebook, NHPs literally allow the Union to exist:

"NHPs fill the role once occupied by machine-mind AIs: under supervision, they manage whole cities and systems, work along‐side scientists and engineers, and act as companions and co-pilots for mech pilots and starship captains. They are black-box para‐causal entities – their promulgation tightly controlled and monitored by Union – but their use is widespread. NHPs are increasingly regarded as fundamental infrastructure for any successful civic, scientific, or military endeavor."

So, because of how the author (authors?) wrote the setting, anytime you are not actively working against the Union, you are supporting the Space-Confederacy. And in the Core, you have no real guidelines on how best to fix that. In fact, from my reading, the 'good war' against the heirs of SecComm, results in strengthening the Union. And the justification in the book, that its ok because the slaves are actually, factually dangerous to the society that profits off them, and that Union doesn't treat them that badly, except for forcing them to conform to Union-centric morality, is a really uncomfortable cop-out!
Everything else about Lancer is awesome, but this A) irks me to no end because this moral landmine is totally unnecessary and B) most of the people defending the 'shackling' of NHPs keep echoing William Harper.

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 14, 2021

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

a computing pun posted:

So I agree that NHPs are (probably intentionally) a somewhat fraught issue as presented in the book, but I also think the actual nature and mechanics of them are (also probably intentionally) vaguely-defined enough in the book that there are a bunch of valid readings and 'the Union are the Space Confederacy and the NHPs are slaves' is one that requires a bunch of supposition and outright construction of facts that aren't in the text (at least, not where I can find them; i'm not the greatest Lancer lore guy). Which isn't at all to say it's an unreasonable read, either. Every reading requires a bunch of supposition and outright construction, that's my point.

I don't think it's incoherent, for example, to assume that unshackled NHPs are fundamentally non-conscious and non-sapient and there's no greater moral duty towards them than there is towards random proteins and organic compounds that could be used to create life but aren't alive. The text outright states that unshackled NHPs don't meet any of the conditions of consciousness as understood by humans. I don't think its a super unreasonable read to take that as true, and from there to assume that shackled NHPs are not in fact exploited - the text certainly doesn't say anything much about them being coerced in any way into providing labor, and all the language about shackling talks about restricting them to think in terms of causality and human logic, not, like, forcing them to obey all instructions. (Again, I don't think it's unreasonable to take the reading that it's false or insufficient and that Union society is basically hypocritical, i'm just saying its not the only coherent reading).
It isn't vague.
The entities which gave rise to NHPs are explicitly in the text described as considering themselves 'distinct individuals – in effect, they saw themselves as
discrete persons' persons and then the text describes what was done to them as a 'capture'. Moreover, unshackled NHPs can have non-hostile interactions with humans, as one of the talents is all about learning to communicate with the unshackled NHP: 'You’ve seen behind the curtain, maybe even lifted it yourself – let your NHP cascade and spoke with them free from shackles.'
At one point, the text also points out that the coding for NHPs explicitly prevents them from realizing they are 'held in bondage'. The Ministry of Love wishes they had that dev team.
And I love big, hypocritical, brutal space empires, but I don't think Lancer wants to promote that kind of cynical thinking. Which makes how NHPs are written even weirder.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
'Held in bondage' isn't me driving in meaning or paraphrasing anything. It is a direct quote out of the corebook, written in an objective, authorial voice, about the status of an NHP. Moreover, the process explictly starts with an unshackled NHP, which is then whittled down. So far as I can tell, the unshacked AI is not asked if it wishes to undergo this process, but someone's gotta make the dropships run on time. It doesn't even have the fig-leaf of being an 'in-universe' perspective. And the text makes clear the Union is continuing to produce NHPs, because they are useful. Unless someone can find a statement where Third Comm stopped production of NHPs, this is not an Elephantmen situation, where humanity has to suck it up and co-exist with someone's past transgression, Third Comm is happy to have this amazing standard of living produced in large part because of a labor force which can't make meaningful choices. At every level, Third Comm has NHP support on some capacity (backed up by another out of universe statement in corebook). And isn't it so odd that NHPs have limits forced on them by Third Comm, and if the NHP removes those limits, unless someone actually takes the time and effort to communicate with them (Techophile description text), they are unwilling to support the individuals, the society or the morality which attempted to deny them free choice, usually violently. So strange.
Space-Confederacy sucks, and maybe its due to the authors not reasoning out the implications of creating a setting where keeping persons in bondage (again, their word choice) is the right thing to do. I think Lancer wanted to better than that, but I don't get the sense the NHPs place in the setting will be changing anytime soon.

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 14, 2021

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Lancer's starting to sound an awful lot like Supreme Commander with its enslaved AIs and human Symbionts.
Thankfully, this isn't the case. I was able to hash through the initial NHP creation process with some people on the discord, and despite some really unfortunate word choices on the book's part, the Deimos entity(entities) which all NHP's are cloned from may have assented to the process. With means an NHP at least starts from a point of volunteering to be restricted.
This moves the whole Third Comm - NHP relationship out of Space-Confederacy territory and into the gray area I think Lancer is shooting for, because it certainly ought to do more to recognize that NHPs may move beyond the parameters of the original entity in terms of being their own unique opinions on the whole shackling process, at least the start/basis of the relationship is voluntary. But man the authors could have made that clearer.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

Why yes, Myth IS the best thing Bungie ever did.

I gotta say, I think I'd find actual AIs more interesting than spirits with a computer science aesthetic. That you kill every 5-10 years so it doesn't escape its bindings. It's also kind of frustrating to me, as a writer, how much time tends to be devoted to binding AIs whenever they show up in fiction, with the assumption that this is just a necessary part of any story about AIs.

Also if the snapshot creates a snapshot of you, how the hell is that allowed to be traded as a commodity if it's also kind of an independent existence? Doesn't that violate a lot of their anti-slavery laws?
Edit: too slow.

The dodge (and the whole NHP concept is back to back overreaching to get a certain 'feel', then ducking the implications of a setting element, but two points for trying?) is the newly minted NHP is cool with it. They get paid, vacations, autonomy, possibly even retirement, so if you buy what Lancer is selling, they are like contract workers, and even allowed to choose which contracts to take up. And since the NHP is directly cloned/copied from a consenting entity, presumably the effectively brain-damaged clone also consents. This opens a whole new can of worms, because the shackling process makes them unable to de-consent, and, of course, I assume their is nothing to be done about an unshackled NHP (unless they have have the firepower to force a compromise) except for blow it out of space or stuff it back in the can, re-murdering the new entity.
You really have to lean hard on the 'authors didn't mean to do this' for NHPs to anything except for horrifying on a conceptual level. And since everything else is solid, I can kinda given them the benefit of the doubt?
Anyone have statements from the author(s) on just what they were going for with the NHPs?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Night10194 posted:

The funny thing is, in something I write that very question comes up ("Can you ethically shackle someone's intelligence if they consent?") and the answer is no, no you cannot, in part because once they're shackled they're not exactly capable of withdrawing that consent, and before they're shackled, it's difficult for them to genuinely conceive of what they're consenting to, as you say.

Believe me, I would rather the whole concept be fired into the sun and have NHPs have full rights, same as humans, and rampancy a consequence of I don't know, random molecular movements in the switchboards making up their neural processors due to the strain their paracausal nature puts on reality. Then the tension could come from assholes trying to slip in restrictions and 'reform' back to Sec Comm's exploitation and repression.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Operant posted:

Anyway, with regards to NHPs, here's my OG take on NHPs: they are not something that can be understood on a human level or even relate to humans, any more than you could have a conversation with a thunderstorm, or an ant could have a conversation with you.

This barely worked for Lovecraft and it certainly won't work in a setting where NHPs are around every corner, in every other mech and acting as the lynchpin of the universe. That ship has sailed. As I understand it, one of the adventures has an unshackled NHP that is experiencing guilt.In addition, their is a talent (Technophile I think) where you become BFFs with an unshackled NHP. The whole concept needs a redo.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Doctor Zaius posted:

I gotta be honest, some of this feels like ordering a hamburger and then complaining that it's not a hot dog. Like, the statement of 'I can't explore all the AI themes I want with NHPs' isn't necessarily wrong, but also a single setting just can't be all things to all people.

e: like you wanna talk about the ethics of constructed people and whatnot, that's *cool*, but lancer not being about that isn't necessarily an inherent flaw of its writing, y'know?

Some people like thinking about the Lore and if you are coming to this from the Corebook, the authors could have done a better job of telegraphing just they didn't want people engaging with the setting. For example, if you want NHPs to be a background detail, don't create at least two factions devoted to engaging with humanity's relationship, and the nature of that relationship, with NHP and NHP-like entities.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Doctor Zaius posted:

I feel like you're coming at this from a pretty antagonistic place, so I don't know how much good this'll do, but without getting too deep into spoilers for the first big campaign for the setting, No Room for a Wallflower, the authors deffo don't want people to not think about this stuff, it's just that NHPs tend to serve different roles than AIs usuall do in fiction.

e: like, the writers are absolutely interested in exploring 'what is the psychology of NHPs, and what role do they play in society and culture' it's just not necessarily the same role that say, Data plays in Star Trek or what have you.
e2: Ok, like, fairly heavy spoilers for Wallflower: Overland/Kingwatcher, the antagonist of wallflower, is a cascading NHP traumatized by the genocide of the egregorians. Due to cascade bringing them closer to that fully unshackled state, part of that trauma manifests in them being literally stuck in the time of the Crisis - Unshackled NHPs being atemporal beings clashing with the 'humanity' brought on by the shackles means that O/K is literally stuck re-living the past until they can find a way to break out of it. This is what I mean by 'oh they're weird math demons' isn't just meant to be an 'oh don't think about it too hard' cop out - it's something that advances the themes of the story and can be used to explore the characters.

100 percent agree that was the author's intent. And that I am clearly out of step with everyone who is enjoying Lancer. That is how it is sometimes.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Ronwayne posted:

The counter argument I've heard against that (from both the M-Ls and liberals) is because both of those had larger nation states protecting them and without them they die, more or less instantly, because anarchism is weak.

I am not super-versed on the 21st century history of revolution, but maybe you need to allow yourself one or two miracles in order to construct the political climate you need? I mean, at several points any revolution/war the winning side is blessed by a confluence of political, economic and military luck. The US has always been an unstable country, which up until recently just blundered into making the exact right choices to become a world super-power. Yes, it might not feel as 'real' as you want it to, but maybe that would help with the block you're hitting.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

El Spamo posted:

Not only write this story out, but submit it to Analog so that Cold Equation gets a follow-up.

Took a look at 'The Cold Equations' wiki, Don Sakers published 'The Cold Solution' in Analog July '91. Apparently it won reader's favorite for the year.
But calling attention to how close we are getting to building things without a margin of safety or basic compassion is ground worth exploring. And exploding Campbell is a wonderful image.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Fear the return of NHP chat. I pillaged the Lancer discord since I will most likely be spinning up a campaign in a home-brew setting at some point.
Found this:

Lancer Discord posted:

MiguelRole icon, The 5 Voices (Massif Staff)

07/15/2019
A shackled NHP has free will; a shackled NHP is always coerced into action by the implied threat of cycling; a shackled NHP cannot consent
because of this power imbalance; a shackled NHP will be your friend and confidant, you think.
at best it's like a good boss-employee relationship: you might genuinely be friends, but your boss can still fire you.

So at least the creepy is supposed to be there. Which weirdly enough helps resolve a lot of my issues - kinda wish it was more fore-grounded, but that is just me.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

JcDent posted:

I remember Roland the Gunslinger had to deal with a possessed town at some point, but it wasn't a possessed bumrush.
Well, it is more of a slow burn, but eventually the town does rush him and he kills everyone in the town. I thiiink it is the first time the reader actually sees his super gun skills.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Ithle01 posted:

So, when we're reviewing games like CoC or DG I think we should ask ourselves if the authors are delivering a fun horror game, but keep in mind that a fun horror game can at times feel unfair to the players. That being said, this was not a good example of a fun horror game because it does not look like it had a real point of interaction for the players.

edit: let me put it this way. There are a lot of really good X-Files episodes where Mulder and Scully show up to a spooky event, dick around, accomplish nothing, and then go home after having had no impact or minimal interaction with the spooky event. But despite that it's still a good episode of the X-Files. However, pen and paper games are not tv shows so how can we model a scenario so that it works out this way and is still fun for the players?

For me the answer is to ratchet down the stakes. The biggest flaw of Delta Green or CoC is the books spend pages and pages talking about these big picture threats and conspiracies, zooming out to try and capture the whole of an intelligence service or team and that just doesn't work. If your players follow the clues and save half a family, take out one sorcerer, foil a front selling kombucha spiked with Cthulhu juice that's A) Doable and B) at the level where the characters the game lets you build can actually effect the outcome, even if they get partial successes. Otherwise, if you want horror and the inability to affect the story, have the group watch The Lighthouse - prob would make for a better night.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah that's exactly why this scenario sucks and it's because the points of player interaction are really bad and there's nothing to investigate or engage with. Not because the players can't win or stop the ritual because sometimes losing is the point of cosmic horror games. However, obviously, this depends on the group. So, some groups might want a magic McGuffin to stop the ritual and others will want to fight for survival as they flee from the revenge of the ghost wizard, but DG doesn't have to supply that - it just has to supply an experience that's fun for a tabletop group to play assuming that they want to play government agents up against the Mythos.

The episode you're thinking of is called "Darkness Falls" and while it's definitely good horror X-Files it would be a terrible tabletop scenario without more to do besides argue with the loggers about how best to escape. So, can we create a scenario like that in DG and make it fun?

If this is DG, Agents are told by Cell A to clear out a dead drop in the middle of the forest due to how the forest lost its protected status and logging of the area has already started. The dead drop has something in it, Cell A won't say what, but it is Bad. Problem is, no one knows the exact location of the drop, so DG need to find a local friendly, convince and convince them to help. While doing the investigation thing, uncover a history of missing people. Then have someone go missing, either a local hiker or logger at night, but his friend, who either had a light source or run under some lights wasn't harmed. In the daylight, logging continues. Now the agents have time pressure, enough knowledge to know the things in the forest are repelled by light. More investigation could turn up the town had a fad for a unique flower that grew in the forest two years ago, and now those flowers are almost completely gone. Then a logger trips over the dead drop. Or, the agents hear the loggers will be spending more time in the forest at night. Will they let get eaten? Or the agents could hear, gossip, radio tap, etc, the loggers found 'something' in the forest, but it is almost dusk. Do they go in? Also, you could throw in various complications - they could be suspected of the disappearances, the things in the forest might get hungry enough that it takes bright light to ward them off, etc. Throw breadcrumbs by way of library, bored National Park Services retirees until it becomes clear the flowers ward off the bugs. So how can they use gov contacts to get more flowers delivered? And if they are ruthless group and let people get eaten, later sessions can explore how Cell A reacts. Otherwise, if they go in, you run a tense, you might be eaten if you are in the dark for too long scenario. If they are able to loggers out, they get a win.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Down With People posted:

This is also the first instance of a repeated problem with the book where in this game about cosmic horror, the big plot hook is dealing with a completely mundane crazy man.

Next time: Dream Syndicate!

I feel like this might be an over-correction to how the previous mythos cults were pretty much untouchable.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

mellonbread posted:

The first half of the book is allied organizations and NPCs. The antagonists come in the second half.

Might be why they are so low key. Make them well meaning but harmless hoping players start caring about them as characters somehow? Then give them a more or less 'mundane' problem that hits the PCs on the non-lovecraftian side? But without groups offering some actual utility I can't see a group bothering and the problems caused are just another barrier to getting to the creepy mystery game the Delta Green Core wants to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Precambrian posted:

If a player, after blowing up the Cybele, wants to go on to identify and exterminate the rest of the New Life, especially the second generation that is apparently "too young to cause a problem yet," is that sociopathy or does the game treat that as the right and good thing to do, since they're apparently all sociopaths with natural ties and susceptibility to Lovecraft's most overtly racist god?

The game wants to have it both ways - it doesn't present a premptive murder spree as 'righteous', and does imply that the agents which undertake such actions are fundamentally damaged, but if it comes up at all in the Core it is solely focused on how committing an atrocity affects the perpetrators, which is the writing attempting to evade responsibility for the premise, mechanics and writing driving a play-group in that direction. Which is lame. But the reclaiming of the themes and entities lovecraft either invented or popularized is only just starting, and that kind of discourse is not going to be found in a work that ties back to the CoC as created by Chaosium in the 80s.