Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

By popular demand posted:

I'd like to thank you on behest of every internet nerd who hasn't the courage to register on these forums, they deserve to be informed too.

I'll add another voice to that, I've certainly been enjoying the world of darkness stuff, both Joyless's work and Loomer with the novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Everyone posted:

I liked the janitor fomori executive who's just trying to fake his way through it all. I imagine him being played by Neil Flynn in his Scrubs glory days.

Executive VP of Marketing Jan Itor.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Dawgstar posted:

Man, that's some heavy crossover-itis. And sure, let's just shove every indigenous magical tradition under one umbrella, it's fine, it'll be fine.

Of course. All non-european magic is the same (unless it's kung fu).

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

The intro comic for bastet does have a nice look at a mokole in full dinosaur mode, so the book has that going for it.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Bouquet posted:

Playing Mage with the right group was great fun. You got to be super creative with combining spheres and trying to figure out coincidences to mask your use of magic. But the Technocracy in general just isn’t very interesting. Their end goal is to make everything boring and their methods are mostly banality of evil poo poo. Are they worse antagonists than the Banal in Changeling, who are literally so boring it’s painful to be near them for cool wacky people like you?
Pentex is so mustache twirling over the top evil with pollution factories and gum that will turn your teeth into evil spirits and mercenaries who want to skin you that you can just enjoy clawing their heads off.
The Sabbat (before they got overexplained) are also over the top in their own weird way. And it’s also clear that there is so much Camarilla intrigue that you can easily have whole campaigns without the Sabbat appearing.

The technocracy has terminators, so there's that. I admit to a level of fondness for them, the basic mission statement (protect the sleepers from vampires/werewolves/other stuff) is solid and playable and interesting, it's just paired up with the fascism. There's a game progression that can work there where you go from stopping a sabbat pack at the start and work your way up to reforming/removing the technocracy's leadership at the end.

The real problem, I think, is that you have fascists on the one side (technocracy), and anti vaxxers on the other (traditions, or at least the verbena and a bunch of etherites). Unknown Armies handled a lot of the material is a more successful way just by declaring that mages are bad at handling their own lives and thus avoiding effective world spanning conspiracies.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Whirling posted:

I like their counterparts in Mage the Awakening, the Seers of the Throne, simply because they're much more explicitly awful people and there's no getting around that. The Mage the Ascension fandom has a lot of people apologizing for/flat out wanting to be a part of the Technocracy because of the aforementioned benefits that don't make up for the horrible things they do, but I've never seen a single person treat the Seers as anything but the worst people on Earth.

Yeah, awakening made some mistakes (first ed core was very bland, I thought, and the Atlantis focus didn't really get worked into something that I would have wanted to use until much later in the line), but the seers were very much what the technocracy should have been. Peel off the good things, and focus in on making them a usable, understandable, and thoroughly unpleasant villain faction.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Arcanuse posted:

bit slow on the draw, but re: Chantries
from what I could see, I'm not wholly convinced Lo Pan and friends should've even been in the nephandi section
They are evil, but they don't really strike me as Nephandi Grade Evil(tm) Chantry so much as a Rogue Chantry (run by a former/technically nephandi).
Iunno, not enough weird gribblies, bizarre spacial dimensions, nigh-guaranteed damnation (insidiousness varying), that sort of thing.
e: and, y'know. some non-nephandi chantries in the same book being markedly worse.

Yeah, but he's a nephandi, so just by portraying him you hurt your soul. Brucato says so.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

John Carpenter's World of Darkness.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

On casting characters, I've had a fair amount of success with kumu.io. It allows for a quick reference - this character looks like this and we've found this and that out about them.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

I thought those guys canonically got butchered by what's his name the signature Silver Fang, which was like his rank challenge for being King.

They did, yeah. It gets mentioned a couple of times, and I think happens before second edition, but after Rage Across New York sets the scene and gives them an adventure.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

It's probably beneficial in a way, the Hierarchy isn't something that you really want to portray as an outright good. Like on the small scale sure, have the local centurion be someone the characters can trust (barring anything shadow influenced), but anyone in authority should be at least mildly objectionable.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Whirling posted:

hell yeah, lets go, delta green owns

also wait wasn't the most recent delta green campaign book about how ICE is evil

God's Teeth is about the bleakest rpg book I've read in a very long while. Delta Green is nihilistic most of the time, but that book goes above and beyond.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

joylessdivision posted:

Nothing happened, the thread periodically lulls between reviews.

I'm still working on the write up for CbN, but my work situation has recently changed so my focus is finding another job more than commenting on vampire shenanigans at the moment. Also I just hit the geography chapter and those are my least favorite to write up so thats also slowing me down a smidgen.

Book is real fun though and I really enjoyed it

On the By Night books, I've been reading through LA by Night for some game prep. Having an anarch gang called the Crypt's Sons that's fighting a group of hunters called the Blood was not something I expected to see. I was also not expecting so many gangs of surfer vampires.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Loomer posted:

That was the devil known as Brian Herbert and/or Marie Landis. That book is perhaps the [i]actual]/i] single worst oWoD novel, but its close - BoTSun is at least memorably terrible. 'Watcher', an early Werewolf novel, is... Not. There's also Pomegranates Full and Fine in the 'utterly forgettable' stakes, and the infamous As One Dead, featuring a Toreador-Brujah hybrid courtesy of one Nancy Kilpatrick, of regular vampire novel fame. My money, personally, remains on House of Secrets for being the single most egregiously racist thing White Wolf ever published.

I hesitate to ask, but what puts House of Secrets on top of the white wolf racism pile? That seems like a tall order, given some of the books I have read. I only know the one author from the penny dreadful stuff, which I remember as pretty standard white wolf fiction.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Pakxos posted:

Check it out now, young clone brother

What are you doing, clone-brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Kurt Cobain pops up as a ferryman in (I think) Ends of Empire.