Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I was driving around southeastern Ohio over the weekend and holy cow it looks terrible. just endless miles of abandoned buildings punctuated by dollar general and fast food places. everything including the people look run down and miserable.

also the massive trailer parks with stores selling beer and cigarettes at the front.

how the gently caress does this happen? what happened to the new deal and the great society?

I want this thread to be able to function as a place to talk about poverty and it’s regional variance in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
that's what everywhere in the midwest that isn't a downtown area or a yuppie suburb looks like

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and the actual number is probably much higher, even inside America almost everyone is living in poverty. Any other idea put fourth is simply propaganda to prevent the population from realizing this.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

ur in my world now posted:

that's what everywhere in the midwest that isn't a downtown area or a yuppie suburb looks like

so basically in the Midwest there’s gentrifying areas of the inner city or upscale suburbs and everyone else lives in poo poo?

Ace of Baes posted:

80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and the actual number is probably much higher, even inside America almost everyone is living in poverty. Any other idea put fourth is simply propaganda to prevent the population from realizing this.

evidence? there seems to be a lot of upscale city neighborhoods and bougie suburbs. I find it hard to believe it’s over 80% of the population.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chuka Umana posted:

how the gently caress does this happen? what happened to the new deal and the great society?

In very brief? Conservatives fought to limit both prior to their passage, and fought to roll both back a second or two after that. They did this as they're evil bastards who on first inspection just don't want to pay taxes to ensure people survive, but on deeper inspection would still oppose such measures even if it cost them nothing because, and not to repeat myself, they're evil loving bastards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chuka Umana posted:

so basically in the Midwest there’s gentrifying areas of the inner city or upscale suburbs and everyone else lives in poo poo?

Not just the midwest, but pretty much anywhere in the entire US that isn't a major city or the nice parts of a medium or smaller city (though major cities also have parts in a really bad state).

I live in Memphis, and there are parts that are basically indistinguishable from doing a Google street view of random poor parts of cities in Mexico* (in terms of general urban decay).

* I only mention Mexico specifically because I was doing a bunch of Street View exploration a while back and distinctly remember clicking random places in a Mexican city I remember reading had big cartel-related problems and thinking "drat this looks like the poor parts of Memphis"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Chuka Umana posted:

evidence? there seems to be a lot of upscale city neighborhoods and bougie suburbs. I find it hard to believe it’s over 80% of the population.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/shutdown-highlights-that-4-in-5-us-workers-live-paycheck-to-paycheck.html

FTA: Government workers are far from alone in feeling stressed about not getting paid. Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they're living paycheck to paycheck, according to a 2017 report by employment website CareerBuilder. Women are particularly vulnerable: 81 percent of them report living paycheck to paycheck, compared with 75 percent of men.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Ill take some cash op

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If you want some insight on how it happened check out Hypernormalization by Adam Curtis, it's a BBC doc but there's a bunch of free copies on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/fh2cDKyFdyU

Edit: if you don't have the attention span for that just listen to this

https://youtu.be/z17nudbZzzQ

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Chuka Umana posted:

yes. there are still some ok-ish middle to lower-middle class areas but those are decaying rapidly too. welcome to the midwest!

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

everyone in the US is one missed paycheck or one expensive emergency from it all falling apart

pretty cool, imvho

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I own my place, don't have any major debts, and manage to put away money every month. When I found out that I was ahead of 90% of the country it broke my loving mind.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
poverty tourism should be bannable

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"wow the poor in america they just...suck so much (giggles europeanishly)"

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Peanut President posted:

poverty tourism should be bannable

I’m not trying to do poverty tourism I’m trying to create a discussion about more trends in poverty and how to combat it.

and also you know it’s not tourism if I, you know, actually live in that area of Ohio.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
america is bad place OP

hope that helps!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chuka Umana posted:

I’m not trying to do poverty tourism I’m trying to create a discussion about more trends in poverty and how to combat it.

and also you know it’s not tourism if I, you know, actually live in that area of Ohio.

you're the guy who defended the Chicago PD in the cop thread so you can eat poo poo irl

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Peanut President posted:

you're the guy who defended the Chicago PD in the cop thread so you can eat poo poo irl

cite a post where I defended the Chicago PD. That’s an extremely offensive accusation.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chuka Umana posted:

cite a post where I defended the Chicago PD. That’s an extremely offensive accusation.

Chuka Umana posted:

i'm a big stupid idiot and i love the chicago police department and i love to kiss my own butt XDDDDD

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lmao that guy loves to kiss his own butt

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

stop bullying me you ableist gently caress

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
have you tried reading any thread in this forum op

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
oh we're fine, we're fine. Just do not, and I cannot stress this enough, go to the hospital.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk op

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
seems to be going... poorly

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If Trump is to be believed things are better than ever

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
its p bad idk how ppl gonna survive :saddowns: :10bux: :911:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
California has this very depressing variation on this where you still have decaying urban areas but you also have upscale gentrified areas that nobody but homeless people live in lol. Downtown Sac has a bunch of boarded up storefronts and a bunch of the condo towers are mostly empty

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hear poverty in the US[A] is almost as crazy as the OP!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

did this forum become 4chan overnight?

are we od'ing on cancel culture so much that a few stupid posts by the op and a dumb argument over smollett derails what could potentially be a good and inquisitive topic?

am i wasting my time here? yes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

did this forum become 4chan overnight?

are we od'ing on cancel culture so much that a few stupid posts by the op and a dumb argument over smollett derails what could potentially be a good and inquisitive topic?

am i wasting my time here? yes
loving lmao

the gently caress is "cancel culture" and what are you even talking about

Are you secretly the OP? Is that why you post everything on a separate line? Am I secretly the OP?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Cancel culture" sounds like some right-wing "political correctness" bullshit, it doesn't pass the smell test. Someone post the Fox News screenshots about it of which I assume there are many.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
This thread sure is a thing

Annie Chickenstalker has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Sep 10, 2019

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

loving lmao

the gently caress is "cancel culture" and what are you even talking about

Are you secretly the OP? Is that why you post everything on a separate line? Am I secretly the OP?

there's a much easier term and it's just "harassment" but i figure people don't understand words from before 2019 anymore

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

there's a much easier term and it's just "harassment" but i figure people don't understand words from before 2019 anymore
lmfao harassment of who, exactly

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I didn't know there was a cop thread did it get moved here

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

I didn't know there was a cop thread did it get moved here
He meant the crop thread. It's titled The Thin Bluegrass Line.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh lmfao I just remembered who this Yossarian guy is. He's the crazy dumbshit who melted down in the rabbits thread because he was a loving irresponsible douche, so I banned him.

edit: and he's definitely also the OP, I just remembered the "ableist" thing. Thanks, rap sheets!

:gas:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

congrats on getting demoted. i'm still a straight a grad school student who lurks here and your ban really helped me with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

congrats on getting demoted. i'm still a straight a grad school student who lurks here and your ban really helped me with that!
I'm glad I could help, and congrats on your good grades. :)