Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

California has this very depressing variation on this where you still have decaying urban areas but you also have upscale gentrified areas that nobody but homeless people live in lol. Downtown Sac has a bunch of boarded up storefronts and a bunch of the condo towers are mostly empty
:wrong: those condos are chock full of VALUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im feeling agitated, fellers

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lol

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Poverty is really bad in the US right now; not bad like unpleasant :barf: but bad like mean like :mad:

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poverty in the us right is the worst its ever been lol

But lets keep running liberal businessmen and centrists

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
poverty in the US is pretty bad, OP

Statement on Visit to the USA, by Professor Philip Alston, United Nations Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights posted:

Washington, December 15, 2017

Introduction

1. I have spent the past two weeks visiting the United States, at the invitation of the federal government, to look at whether the persistence of extreme poverty in America undermines the enjoyment of human rights by its citizens. In my travels through California, Alabama, Georgia, Puerto Rico, West Virginia, and Washington DC I have spoken with dozens of experts and civil society groups, met with senior state and federal government officials and talked with many people who are homeless or living in deep poverty. I am grateful to the Trump Administration for facilitating my visit and for its continuing cooperation with the UN Human Rights Council’s accountability mechanisms that apply to all states.

2. My visit coincides with a dramatic change of direction in US policies relating to inequality and extreme poverty. The proposed tax reform package stakes out America’s bid to become the most unequal society in the world, and will greatly increase the already high levels of wealth and income inequality between the richest 1% and the poorest 50% of Americans. The dramatic cuts in welfare, foreshadowed by the President and Speaker Ryan, and already beginning to be implemented by the administration, will essentially shred crucial dimensions of a safety net that is already full of holes. It is against this background that my report is presented.

3. The United States is one of the world’s richest, most powerful and technologically innovative countries; but neither its wealth nor its power nor its technology is being harnessed to address the situation in which 40 million people continue to live in poverty

7. In talking with people in the different states and territories I was frequently asked how the US compares with other states. While such comparisons are not always perfect, a cross-section of statistical comparisons provides a relatively clear picture of the contrast between the wealth, innovative capacity, and work ethic of the US, and the social and other outcomes that have been attained.
  • By most indicators, the US is one of the world’s wealthiest countries. It spends more on national defense than China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, United Kingdom, India, France, and Japan combined.
  • US health care expenditures per capita are double the OECD average and much higher than in all other countries. But there are many fewer doctors and hospital beds per person than the OECD average.
  • US infant mortality rates in 2013 were the highest in the developed world.
  • Americans can expect to live shorter and sicker lives, compared to people living in any other rich democracy, and the “health gap” between the U.S. and its peer countries continues to grow.
  • U.S. inequality levels are far higher than those in most European countries
  • Neglected tropical diseases, including Zika, are increasingly common in the USA. It has been estimated that 12 million Americans live with a neglected parasitic infection. A 2017 report documents the prevalence of hookworm in Lowndes County, Alabama.
  • The US has the highest prevalence of obesity in the developed world.
  • In terms of access to water and sanitation the US ranks 36th in the world.
  • America has the highest incarceration rate in the world, ahead of Turkmenistan, El Salvador, Cuba, Thailand and the Russian Federation. Its rate is nearly 5 times the OECD average.
  • The youth poverty rate in the United States is the highest across the OECD with one quarter of youth living in poverty compared to less than 14% across the OECD.

• The Stanford Center on Inequality and Poverty ranks the most well-off countries in terms of labor markets, poverty, safety net, wealth inequality, and economic mobility. The US comes in last of the top 10 most well-off countries, and 18th amongst the top 21.
  • In the OECD the US ranks 35th out of 37 in terms of poverty and inequality.
  • According to the World Income Inequality Database, the US has the highest Gini rate (measuring inequality) of all Western Countries
  • The Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality characterizes the US as “a clear and constant outlier in the child poverty league.” US child poverty rates are the highest amongst the six richest countries – Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden and Norway.
  • About 55.7% of the U.S. voting-age population cast ballots in the 2016 presidential election. In the OECD, the U.S. placed 28th in voter turnout, compared with an OECD average of 75%. Registered voters represent a much smaller share of potential voters in the U.S. than just about any other OECD country. Only about 64% of the U.S. voting-age population (and 70% of voting-age citizens) was registered in 2016, compared with 91% in Canada (2015) and the UK (2016), 96% in Sweden (2014), and nearly 99% in Japan (2014).

The statement then goes on to talk about things like how poverty undermines human rights, defining who falls into the category of 'the poor,' the current extent of poverty, problems with existing policies, etc. etc.

It's really worth reading the whole thing in full, imo:
https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=22533&LangID=E

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Communism is good, America hates good things so there's no communism which means instead there's lots of bad poverty.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

redneck nazgul posted:

dont serious post poverty at this chud

post about him torturing his bunnies by putting a terrier poodle next to them and going wow i thought they had no prey drive

ask him how he feels about jussie smollet and the chicago police department

ask him if its ableist to take his meds for once

as someone with asperger’s syndrome, it’s very upsetting when someone tries to erase my identity and value as a person because I’m not either Forrest Gump or some mathematical genius. I am a man. yes, I do have difficulty with communication and yes I do take medication for it. Sometimes I say things or get defensive over things I didn’t mean. Yes I did regret and get defensive over my unnecessary comments in the cop thread. I’m not asking for special treatment, I’m just asking that you understand.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

you don't regret anything because you're a chud

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’d say a solid 6.5 OP

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

redneck nazgul posted:

you don't regret anything because you're a chud

No, I am a man. I just have difficulty communicating. I’m sorry I’m not the idealized form of an autistic person that you have in your head, but I will try to be from now on.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When I worked retail I knew a woman who used rags or old t shirts during her period because she couldn't afford pads

to this day I still have no idea why she told me this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's a lot of poverty in the US, but as this think tank report exlains its v. good poverty

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i mean last time i was in mexico all the televisions were black and white. all of them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chuka Umana posted:

No, I am a man.

thread title?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Cancel culture" sounds like some right-wing "political correctness" bullshit, it doesn't pass the smell test. Someone post the Fox News screenshots about it of which I assume there are many.

that's how it's usually used. but i did read an opinion piece by a genuine leftist that used the term, and usefully juxtaposed it with discursive/social practices rooted in restorative justice

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/17/opinion/sunday/cancel-culture-call-out.html

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Finicums Wake posted:

that's how it's usually used. but i did read an opinion piece by a genuine leftist that used the term, and usefully juxtaposed it with discursive/social practices rooted in restorative justice

this is just the usual "instead of being mean to racists and rapists, why don't we try being nice to them and winning them over with love" stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Finicums Wake posted:

yeah so the problem with this is the one little note where she goes “sometimes it is justified in the case of those in power out of reach” and that’s almost all of them. white rich males are extremely powerful and out of reach. so... she just wrote an entire worthless article and undermined it right there

I would agree that punching down or sideways while completely ignoring the greater structure of socioeconomics meant to exploit, marginalize, and engorging oneself like a fat tick off the results is not productive at all and is in fact what the rich and powerful want

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

on the one hand, there an enormous number of people suffering in miserable, inescapable poverty. on the other hand, this means they buy fewer groceries so the shelves stay more full, unlike in VENEZUELA

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

i mean last time i was in mexico all the televisions were black and white. all of them.

tbf mexico has a constant yellow orange haze so you wouldnt get the full color tv experience

i have watched all the episodes of breaking bad that take place in mexico, i can be considered "authority"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Main Paineframe posted:

this is just the usual "instead of being mean to racists and rapists, why don't we try being nice to them and winning them over with love" stuff

why are you lumping racists together with rapists? they are very different concepts lol
most Americans are racist from a life of propaganda, and can be educated and taught this is false, thinking it's about being nice or mean is a very weird reaction rooted in liberal individualism

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

why are you lumping racists together with rapists? they are very different concepts lol
most Americans are racist from a life of propaganda, and can be educated and taught this is false, thinking it's about being nice or mean is a very weird reaction rooted in liberal individualism

because that's what the article is doing, and what the "cancel culture" whine in general usually does

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Main Paineframe posted:

because that's what the article is doing, and what the "cancel culture" whine in general usually does

cancel as a phrase is a talking point or whatever but there is definitely a good critique around the current impotent 'activism' of canceling major/minor celebs as a substitute for collectivism, see mark fishers vampires castle

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

if someone was advocating for making the american criminal justice system more like the scandinavian ones, and someone replied with exactly what you said here, would you find the response reductive and dumb?

Xaris posted:

yeah so the problem with this is the one little note where she goes “sometimes it is justified in the case of those in power out of reach” and that’s almost all of them. white rich males are extremely powerful and out of reach. so... she just wrote an entire worthless article and undermined it right there

I would agree that punching down or sideways while completely ignoring the greater structure of socioeconomics meant to exploit, marginalize, and engorging oneself like a fat tick off the results is not productive at all and is in fact what the rich and powerful want

i read the article as primarily an intervention in intra-leftist discourse. like, she starts by giving examples of call-outs she encountered in leftist activism, and then frames her criticism of call-outs and cancelling in terms of whether leftist social movements learned the right lessons. in none of those examples from her activism were the people being called out white rich males who were powerful and out of reach. i guess whether her article is worthless or undermined comes down to whether "most public shaming is horizontal and done by those who believe they have greater integrity or more sophisticated analyses," as she writes, or if almost all of them are aimed upwards, as you claim. even if you're right though, i don't see how her criticisms of how leftists interact with eachother, or in their roles as activists, are worthless

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Sep 10, 2019

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

i wasn't aware trot was a disability but the more i think about it...

tell me more about how (((trots))) have bad dna. regardless the op railed against "liberal trotskyists" which is a critique i definitely don't share, but i'm sticking up for my own kind itt regardless of any :problematic: takes he may or may not have had

i will concede that the people who run wsws probably have a disability and that they might be on the spectrum, and basically all of the trotskyist political parties suck. but i mean, hey, name a dead leftist party that doesn't suck? maybe i'll make that my band name

my dog is super timid and her/the buns live in separate households now anyway and were always confined to separate rooms, so somehow, even having a shitposting meltdown in the bunny thread that allowed me to focus on my actual life, i was still less hysterical than the rest of that thread :aaaaa:

still waiting for fau to eat a 6'er for his accusation that two autists must be the same person by virtue of being on the spectrum. do we both have to be logged on at the same time? i'm not enough of a terminally ill poster to know how to prove that we're different people without doxxing myself

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Sep 11, 2019

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

the irony of this is not so much "cancel culture" as i inarticulately put it before but that you're all narcs https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/planet-of-cops-50889004904d

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

ooooooo the those dirty sjw cancelculture comment now makes sense lmao.

tis true, only rural conservative whites in pennyslvania understand how hard ti is out there *votes to cut off own balls, kill their own job, and send self-down spiraling deathtube to own da libs, maga i meakly cry out as my body gets turned into a less than rounding error in 0.1%'s bank account*

as someone who lives in a place like that, it's not the poor people voting for trump or other reactionaries lol. they just dont vote at all anymore. it's the landlord class that's the vocal minority that carries the district for neonazi politician #17 because everyone else either has to work while the polls are open or they're for some reason required to present 3 forms of id which of course is easy when your a comfortable landowner and hard when you've never lived in the same place for more than a few years, as many poors have. i know a lot of my dads friends who were vocally supportive of trump and not a single one of them actually voted lol. the same was mostly true for the depressed young adult class, who were all big on bernie and just sighed and went to work instead of voting when Hillary got nominated. trump barely got 30% of votes in my county, if you compare the numbers against total voting age citizens

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Xaris posted:

ooooooo the those dirty sjw cancelculture comment now makes sense lmao.

tis true, only rural conservative whites in pennyslvania understand how hard ti is out there *votes to cut off own balls, kill their own job, and send self-down spiraling deathtube to own da libs, maga i meakly cry out as my body gets turned into a less than rounding error in 0.1%'s bank account*

you can get a bad mark on your record for doing just about anything whether it's using the n-word on twitter when you were 14 or burning an american flag. it's more about the internet being trash and everyone being a narc than any kind of sjw exclusive thing. everyone being a narc affects vulnerable groups all across the board more than your strawman conservative dumbshit white guy

just look at all the precious women's march white women who tried to cancel linda sarsour for going to a farrakhan thing and tell me that cancel culture isn't a problem, regardless of how much the phrase "cancel culture" has become a stupid catch-all for loving with people's privacy

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Sep 11, 2019

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finicums Wake posted:

poverty in the US is pretty bad, OP

The statement then goes on to talk about things like how poverty undermines human rights, defining who falls into the category of 'the poor,' the current extent of poverty, problems with existing policies, etc. etc.

It's really worth reading the whole thing in full, imo:
https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=22533&LangID=E

Thanks for posting this. Everyone should read it. This is the country you are living in, and it’s only going to get catastrophically worse if we don’t get the Bernie platforms implemented. In pessimistic terms, I think we’re likely to see the collapse of the U.S. government beforehand.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
the issue with woke online harassment is that it just works far better on people connected to the community in some manner than unreachable elites or unrepentent bigots, so people end up finding the optimal area between righteousness and effect somewhere around hitting relatively privileged marginalized people who reveal some outrageous weak point. and ofc there's always a bunch of unwoke but genuine people who could have been won over but are instead taught to avoid certain spaces.

it's not all bad but people finding something with such severe shortcomings such a great tool is a sign of collective weakness

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

When I was growing up people from Europe would take "the poor of Appalachia" tours and just gawk at people living in poverty.

Homes with dirt floors and no electricity. It was just insane that people lived like that and it was insane that tours were offered to see that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

tell me more about how (((trots))) have bad dna. regardless the op railed against "liberal trotskyists" which is a critique i definitely don't share, but i'm sticking up for my own kind itt regardless of any :problematic: takes he may or may not have had

i will concede that the people who run wsws probably have a disability and that they might be on the spectrum, and basically all of the trotskyist political parties suck. but i mean, hey, name a dead leftist party that doesn't suck? maybe i'll make that my band name

my dog is super timid and her/the buns live in separate households now anyway and were always confined to separate rooms, so somehow, even having a shitposting meltdown in the bunny thread that allowed me to focus on my actual life, i was still less hysterical than the rest of that thread :aaaaa:

still waiting for fau to eat a 6'er for his accusation that two autists must be the same person by virtue of being on the spectrum. do we both have to be logged on at the same time? i'm not enough of a terminally ill poster to know how to prove that we're different people without doxxing myself
So what determines which account you choose to post on?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
not gonna pretend i gave this thread a huge amount of attention but i dont think i saw anything to warrant bitching about ableism? being a lovely poster isnt a disability hth

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

poverty is wack, close thread

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

So what determines which account you choose to post on?

idk but apparently i post on d&d a lot now :psyduck:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

idk but apparently i post on d&d a lot now :psyduck:
You should stop, I hear that place sucks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In all honesty I have no idea if those are the same dude lmao, an admin can check if they care

edit: I mean I'm pretty sure but it's not like I can check IPs now

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
nice thread. too bad about yossarian posts.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, but I don't believe you and I don't think anyone else does. I'd be amazed if you're not the OP, and I'm happy to take whatever probation comes with that if I'm wrong. Or if I'm right. Maybe this counts as helldumping, IDK.

reposting this for posterity

guyovich have i said enough bad things about the pepes in hong kong to boost my social credit score and get you to probe this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yossarian-22 posted:

the irony of this is not so much "cancel culture" as i inarticulately put it before but that you're all narcs https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/planet-of-cops-50889004904d

Jesse singal is a huge transphobe