Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What the gently caress even is this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I live in poverty ama

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

yossarian having a meltdown or some dumb poo poo.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stairmaster posted:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

nice thread. too bad about yossarian posts.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Jose posted:

Jesse singal is a huge transphobe

is this a case of :thejoke: or are you trying to prove my point now

Darkman Fanpage posted:

yossarian having a meltdown or some dumb poo poo.

fau and a bunch of other people dogpiled the op and it reminded me of my own experience on the forums a year ago, so i'm taking time off of higher education to be a white knight and play my part in derailing a thread because i don't care for my own sanity and have a martyr complex or something

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Yossarian-22 posted:

the irony of this is not so much "cancel culture" as i inarticulately put it before but that you're all narcs https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/planet-of-cops-50889004904d

this article is dumb, and in a counterproductive way. it lists a bunch of things that the authors thinks are bad and just throws them all into the category "cops." it's the opposite of analysis.

like, the author's trying to point to ways that (typically online) political discourse fails, how people can be bad actors in these conversations, and so on. i think most leftists agree these things happen, even among leftists, and that we could talk and disagree in more constructive and substantive ways, etc.

but the root of many of these problems stems from things like: uncharitable interpretations, the rush to cast judgements rather than engage in dialogue, casting such judgements in a non-constructive manner, treating complicated issues reductively, assuming that you (in the impersonal sense of 'you') are assuredly correct and so your interlocutor is assuredly incorrect or arguing in bad faith or whatever, etc.

so, you'd expect a leftist trying to point out these sorts of problems to at least attempt to do so in a way that doesn't fall prey to these same discursive vices. calling all of these things and people cops is exactly the kind of poo poo the author's ostensibly criticizing. iirc, freddie deboer, who the article is attributed to, basically stopped writing on the internet because he had a meltdown and falsely accused someone of sexual assault. he posted a lengthy apology, seems like he sincerely regrets it, talked to the guy he accused, etc...which, good for him. but it seems like, going by this article, you'd have to consider him a cop too. as for jesse singal...lol

edit: one of the few good points that article makes is that there's a tension between leftist conceptions of justice and leftist discursive practice. but it's both buried in a dumb article and given one paragraph of space.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Sep 11, 2019

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

yeah let's just ignore the fact that everyone was an ableist rear end in the first 20 posts and that when i defended the op i got people thinking that it was me all along. lmao

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bert Roberge posted:

When I was growing up people from Europe would take "the poor of Appalachia" tours and just gawk at people living in poverty.

Homes with dirt floors and no electricity. It was just insane that people lived like that and it was insane that tours were offered to see that.

I spent two years outside of New Orleans, and man, I know what you mean. The rural south is some of the scariest poo poo I’ve ever seen.

And if you ever find yourself driving through Paris, Texas for some reason, keep loving going and don’t stop. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Texas

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Meltdown Meptember hitting hard this year

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bert Roberge posted:

When I was growing up people from Europe would take "the poor of Appalachia" tours and just gawk at people living in poverty.

Homes with dirt floors and no electricity. It was just insane that people lived like that and it was insane that tours were offered to see that.
In his first memoir, Lewis Black spends some time talking about working in a federal anti-poverty program in the Appalachians during the Nixon administration. Even if you're not a fan I strongly recommend the book (despite its terrible title "Nothing's Sacred"). His second one is skippable.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

is this a case of :thejoke: or are you trying to prove my point now

fau and a bunch of other people dogpiled the op and it reminded me of my own experience on the forums a year ago, so i'm taking time off of higher education to be a white knight and play my part in derailing a thread because i don't care for my own sanity and have a martyr complex or something

shut up you're annoying

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Finicums Wake posted:

iirc, freddie deboer, who the article is attributed to, basically stopped writing on the internet because he had a meltdown and falsely accused someone of sexual assault. he posted a lengthy apology, seems like he sincerely regrets it, talked to the guy he accused, etc...which, good for him. but it seems like, going by this article, you'd have to consider him a cop too. as for jesse singal...lol

deboer's point has been vindicated by his own hypocrisy!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

shut up you're annoying

Post Count
Post Rate
13.14 per day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuFVQk_CCs

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Post Count
Post Rate
13.14 per day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuFVQk_CCs

oh so you're also insane in addition to being annoying very cool :chord:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

oh so you're also insane in addition to being annoying very cool :chord:

i'm in grad school. you post on cspam for a living

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

i'm in grad school. you post on cspam for a living

and?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

majoring in "digging in deeper" with a minor in "dying on that hill"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Honorary degree from Graduate University for being the most dunked-on man alive

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Great way to show you're not having a meltdown is to keep posting through it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
saying "im in grad school" to win any argument on the internet is worth all the work and student loan debt

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
bragging about going to grad school in the poverty thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Bragging about getting straight As in grad school requires that nobody else understand grad school grading norms, which is a big swing. A swing almost as big as going for your Master's degree! Now that's dedication!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

since i can only seem to make my mark on these forums through meltdowns i guess it's time i ended this one

happy 9/11 day everyone. cspam is bad for you. don't be ableist. don't post. collect $200. happy future probe fau. hope i've redeemed myself for getting two kinds of pets at once that one time and then it being okay. gently caress cops. talk about poverty now b/c i've overstayed my welcome. be nice to the op but tell him politely when he's wrong okay? bye!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poverty is cool and you should embrace it

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I’m the dude posting transphobe blogs to prove my point about ableism or something

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
gently caress you yossarian im gonna troll the op and tell them bad information muahaha :twisted:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yossarian-22 posted:

since i can only seem to make my mark on these forums through meltdowns i guess it's time i ended this one

happy 9/11 day everyone. cspam is bad for you. don't be ableist. don't post. collect $200. happy future probe fau. hope i've redeemed myself for getting two kinds of pets at once that one time and then it being okay. gently caress cops. talk about poverty now b/c i've overstayed my welcome. be nice to the op but tell him politely when he's wrong okay? bye!

i look forward to your next post here in a few hours

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Taintrunner posted:

poverty is cool and you should embrace it

poverty sucks I'm always running out of weed and bread!!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

CAROL posted:

I’m the dude posting transphobe blogs to prove my point about ableism or something

hey, you know, upon looking him up you're absolutely right and that sucks that he had a terrible take in the atlantic and i wish i had known that, but then why are you trying to make me look like a transphobe by association? that's what i mean with the "everyone is a cop" narrative; why am i being implicated in somebody else's bad history?

i'm getting defensive now, and i'm sincerely sorry if i made it look like i was endorsing his shittier takes that i didn't know about. you're one of the few good posters here and the author can go gently caress himself

okay bye for real

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

hey, you know, upon looking him up you're absolutely right and that sucks that he had a terrible take in the atlantic and i wish i had known that, but then why are you trying to make me look like a transphobe by association? that's what i mean with the "everyone is a cop" narrative; why am i being implicated in somebody else's bad history?

i'm getting defensive now, and i'm sincerely sorry if i made it look like i was endorsing his shittier takes that i didn't know about. you're one of the few good posters here and the author can go gently caress himself

okay bye for real
I'm going to be unusually fair to you here and say that trying to keep up with all the opinions of writers is impossible, and sometimes this will happen. It sucks when it does, but it's how we learn who's worth listening to.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
still waitin for someone to point out these apparent tens of ableist posts on the first page that only the op and coincidentally the person who is definitely not him can see and are mad about

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
You fuckers are boring

Post more graphs and charts

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/central.html

Look at us getting a smaller and smaller slice of the pie.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Stairmaster posted:

With a title like, "How's American poverty doing these days?," I expected more American economic geography

Like, check this poo poo out:

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Sep 11, 2019

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

nice thread. too bad about yossarian posts.

I'm here solely for the yossarian post

Ace of Baes posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Unable to get straight A's

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yossarian-22 posted:

okay bye for real

i should have said minutes instead of hours lmao

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

Unable to get straight A's

stalking a girl who slept with me out of pity

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

With a title like, "How's American poverty doing these days?," I expected more American economic geography

Like, check this poo poo out:

the epic part is when you go oh hey theres some nice growth in the midwest and then you look closer and it's nearly empty counties that had some rich guy move in so the average spiked super high

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

the epic part is when you go oh hey theres some nice growth in the midwest and then you look closer and it's nearly empty counties that had some rich guy move in so the average spiked super high

It's median, so a 2 or 3 rich people moving in wouldn't shift the number much unless it was a population of less than 10.

I think those are areas where there are oil fields and fracking sites and such. So they are probably a bunch of higher engineers and such coming in and pulling the median upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

I remember reading not to long ago that the north Midwest areas with “growth” on that chart are due to rich people building their underground bunkers for the coming collapse of capitalism. Pretty sure there was a doc on it too