Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I love playing soccer but find it insanely boring to watch. Most of the time a game can be accurately summed up in a 6 minute highlight video and I just can't justify the waste of time for watching live.

Not trying to start a big derail or attack soccer, but I do think the lack of interest for television viewers plays a part, as well as the stymied american exceptionalism that fragile egos don't like which Fiz mentioned. Americans hate to see their team lose to some tiny brown person country with like 2 million people in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good thing we didn't have to in 2016 :suicide101:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not sure what was the original point of this other than me getting mad at a commercial so talking about youth participation in general should be fine for this thread.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Play posted:

I love playing soccer but find it insanely boring to watch. Most of the time a game can be accurately summed up in a 6 minute highlight video and I just can't justify the waste of time for watching live.

Not trying to start a big derail or attack soccer, but I do think the lack of interest for television viewers plays a part, as well as the stymied american exceptionalism that fragile egos don't like which Fiz mentioned. Americans hate to see their team lose to some tiny brown person country with like 2 million people in it

I feel like football (and most sports) can be accurately summed up in a six minute highlight video.

I think soccer suffers in the US because other sports captured our attention first like baseball and football. Baseball spread like wildfire with teams in practically every town. Football survived because colleges picked it up and all had teams. College soccer didn't really take off until the 1950s or so, and by then, college football was already way more popular. Soccer never had a chance.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The "compared to other countries" part of my question is carrying a lot of weight. The US is big, so there are millions of people playing soccer, but the US men missing 2016 is illustrative of my point. You can turn on pretty much any event in the summer Olympics and expect to see someone from the US competing for a medal, no matter how obscure it is. Meanwhile, our national soccer team didn't even make the cut to compete in the World Cup.

Play posted:

I've learned recently I enjoy watching soccer and hockey way more in person than on TV. The only edge I would give football for TV viewing is the higher stakes for individual games due to there being comparatively few of them in a season. I can't justify spending three hours sitting at home to watch something like baseball knowing there are at least 161 other games in the season. That and baseball is boring.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the simple answer to that is if you're a premier top flight athlete in America you go into baseball, football, or basketball because that's where the money is. I saw a crazy statistic too that out of 325k soccer participants in Connecticut, 2 went on to play in any form of major league soccer.

Not only are we behind in athletes wanting to play soccer, we're behind in sheer talent of soccer players across the board. Other countries probably produce similar small numbers of players because there's only so many positions in professional sports, but they produce higher quality due to everyone being higher quality. You're starting to see it in basketball crazy countries too as France, Spain, Australia, Canada, Argentina, and Balkan countries are producing top flight NBA athletes because of their increased competition. Same will probably happen in south east Asia and China as the years go bye.

Being a great athlete only takes you so far, you need the skill there too, and that's why I think soccer suffers on a professional output level here in America.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

FizFashizzle posted:

Good thing we didn't have to in 2016 :suicide101:

can't lose if you don't participate *eddie murphy gif*

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure what was the original point of this other than me getting mad at a commercial so talking about youth participation in general should be fine for this thread.

which is a great idea for a thread, cheers

Doltos posted:

I think the simple answer to that is if you're a premier top flight athlete in America you go into baseball, football, or basketball because that's where the money is. I saw a crazy statistic too that out of 325k soccer participants in Connecticut, 2 went on to play in any form of major league soccer.

Not only are we behind in athletes wanting to play soccer, we're behind in sheer talent of soccer players across the board. Other countries probably produce similar small numbers of players because there's only so many positions in professional sports, but they produce higher quality due to everyone being higher quality. You're starting to see it in basketball crazy countries too as France, Spain, Australia, Canada, Argentina, and Balkan countries are producing top flight NBA athletes because of their increased competition. Same will probably happen in south east Asia and China as the years go bye.

Being a great athlete only takes you so far, you need the skill there too, and that's why I think soccer suffers on a professional output level here in America.

after travelling quite a bit in asia and south america, one of the things I learned is that they are just straight up better at soccer. A 12 year old kid in some of those places could outplay most american 18 year olds who've been playing since they were kids.

I remember on my select team one year we got this kid, Beto, who had just recently emigrated to America and barely even spoke English yet. He was 13 on an under-16 select soccer team and was BY FAR the best player on the team. Not even close

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel like football (and most sports) can be accurately summed up in a six minute highlight video.

You might be right and it's just my bias and ability to recognize the subtleties in the game (which I might not in certain other sports) that accounts for that. Also, as someone mentioned, the scarcity. I don't think there's any other professional sport that plays so few games over the course of a full season

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Doltos posted:

During this time soccer and basketball were completely college based. In fact the only reason basketball didn't end up like soccer was because of a group of Canadian investors that owned hockey franchises took a risk on a new sport in order to draw some of that yankee money up north.
The NBA almost folded from lack of interest before the introduction of the 24 second shot clock. Games were ending with scores in the 30s and 40s because once a team got a good lead they would just play keep-away and stall to kill the clock. Attendance plummeted. The shot clock sped up the game and it became an exciting up and down the court game instead of a slog.

The college game didn’t get a shot clock until the 80s and Dean Smith's UNC teams and their 4 Corners offense.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a big thing here in phoenix is that the public high school boundaries are really long and narrow or just big regardless

https://www.phoenixunion.org/site/h...for-Website.pdf

why participate in sports if you're just going to get home at later than 7pm via bus?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This may be answered in the article, but is there a geographical/historical reason soccer is so unpopular in the US compared to pretty much every other country on Earth?

Basically soccer, rugby and American football all originated from the same game. The first codified rules for each game appeared around mid to late 19th century. Soccer and rugby were both popular in Europe send spread throughout the world's by European expats whereas football was almost exclusively an American thing. Couple that with football not really even being closer to the most popular sport in the US until the second half of the 20th century.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'd rather watch "esports" than soccer.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Soccer is better than baseball

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Doltos posted:

To add to this, I think that's also why there's such a disparity between the U.S. men and women's soccer teams; since female athletes have less opportunities to go pro in other sports, women's soccer has a higher level of talent to choose from.

Cavauro posted:

Soccer is better than baseball

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I'd rather watch "esports" than soccer.

Would be curious to see a comparison of how many kids are in e-sports, if data collection like this is even possible yet