Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thought this was going to be about rich NFL owners getting blood transfusions from young boys in some horrible attempt to live forever. So at least it’s not that bad.

Read something recently that even the NFL has an insurance problem. They’re down to one carrier in the entire nation covering them. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a massive die off of high school, JUCO, and other small schools playing football in the next 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Play posted:

Interesting. Shifting to a club-team based model instead of a public school one is a great way to cut off access to the sport for certain low income students, as well. I played on some "select" soccer teams as a kid and I believe the fee for the year was somewhere between 1 and 2 thousand dollars per player, this is at around twelve years old. A ton of parents are not going to be able to make that kind of sacrifice without the mostly-free public school option

Yea, the Atlantic article above essentially explains the same thing. Rich parents can afford to spend money on their kid's sports training, getting them onto better travel teams, getting them more/better instructors, etc. Ideally, I think I'd rather see struggling sports get funded directly by the town budget, not the school budget. It would consolidate quite a bit of teams, but would still mean most sports are free or low cost. I guess that's how it works a lot with youth sports already, as they are run through the town park district, and this shifts as kids get into middle school and high school.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Play posted:

I love playing soccer but find it insanely boring to watch. Most of the time a game can be accurately summed up in a 6 minute highlight video and I just can't justify the waste of time for watching live.

Not trying to start a big derail or attack soccer, but I do think the lack of interest for television viewers plays a part, as well as the stymied american exceptionalism that fragile egos don't like which Fiz mentioned. Americans hate to see their team lose to some tiny brown person country with like 2 million people in it

I feel like football (and most sports) can be accurately summed up in a six minute highlight video.

I think soccer suffers in the US because other sports captured our attention first like baseball and football. Baseball spread like wildfire with teams in practically every town. Football survived because colleges picked it up and all had teams. College soccer didn't really take off until the 1950s or so, and by then, college football was already way more popular. Soccer never had a chance.