Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

Andrew Luck is going to stay in retirement up until the point where hes eligible to join any team again

I want to say this never happens? I have nothing to back this up other than a random memory of a rumor Barry Sanders might come out of retirement like 5 years after he was gone but the Lions wouldn't give up his rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Mahomes shredding the top D on one leg without Tyreek on the road is no longer even remarkable, it’s expected, I love it...

I think Jalen Ramsey also had his worst game as a pro and no one outside of bad winner KC fans has even bothered to say anything about it because it was almost expected.

This post might make me a bad winner.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Is there an actual story behind that dude trying to take a snap under the guard? Concussion? Trick play gone stupid?

Just a really dumb thing that happens now and then. This was on Saturday although it wasn't under center (or...guard):

https://twitter.com/smartfootball/status/1170413409394970625

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I missed the game, did someone try to start his neck like a lawnmower?

Nah, but he tried to fix Gareon Conley with his hip like you would an old television that wasn't getting good reception through the antenna.

vv--I did check that he was ok before making this bad joke.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's Gareon Conley noted rapist

Excuse me you will find he very clearly passed a lie detector test.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

He was acquitted by a grand jury

You will not stop me making fun of Warcrimes abandoning everything after Khalil Mack.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Could also be a New York Knickerbockers free agency joke tbh

I was thinking it could be a Cory Lidle joke.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Ah yes, Antonio Bryant is just misunderstood.

I feel bad for Antonio Bryant. Poor guy just wants to tweet about football in peace.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

They only paid a 3rd and a 5th, so...

Mental anguish and emotional distress obviously bumps it up to a 1.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asema posted:

this is the idiot who likes to lead with his head and make 'big hits' right that almost killed his teammate?

To be fair the teammate thing really was kind of a freak accident that happened while he was trying to kill an opponent.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr Magoo stumbled into doing the right thing despite himself is the joke I think.

I don't even know what the What is there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good. I have no idea what this means in a legal sense though, please tell me it has teeth and isn't just posturing by some random DA.

Assuming the assaults (or one of them) happened in Pittsburgh he's just opening an investigation.

I'd imagine nothing will come of it but :shrug:

e: Looking that guy up he just inspires confidence:

quote:

In 2016, DA Zappala paid nearly $1,400 in bitcoin as ransom after his office computer network was taken hostage by the Avalanche phishing group.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

R.I.P., football on dirt.

It's terrible for the players and probably a huge pain in the rear end for people who work there to change things around, but the old man football fan in me will miss it.

I don't know if it was related to the dirt but I fondly remember the Raiders backup longsnapper who just absolutely could not deal with anything snapping from that infield.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

japtor posted:

Raiders players have been fine with it (not necessarily like it, but they're used to it)...unless you're thinking of the time their long snapper got concussed, and his "backup" was basically an emergency long snapper that hadn't practiced it at all, I think he was a TE? He sucked snapping everywhere on the field, dirt or grass.

Yeah that was the one I was thinking of, like I said I didn't know if the dirt had anything to do with it but I kinda remember him flubbing one from there.

As you noted though he did that everywhere.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh I didn't realize that the Ravens and Cards are playing this week.

Two of the most fun quarterbacks to come out recently. Unfortunately I think Kyler might die here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Something to do with trafficking, abusing or illegally owning exotic animals. I'm thinking something really rare like snow leopards.

I'm relatively surprised that he doesn't own something like that (if in fact he doesn't).

e: Saw that Minshew thing earlier. I really hope he's good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vengarr posted:

ESPN did a neat article on the development and impact of the Eagles' analytics department. Part of it stuck out...

È̳̠͈̼̽̀ͅs͎̲̒͒ͣͧͣͫ͛́͘t̵̛͍̣̖̻͒̋̋a̗̦͙̲̞̺͌̾̀̾͒ͅḅ̴̤͓̭ͤͬ̂̂͘͡l͙̪̲̒ͫ̃͛i̖͖̰̬͇̦̦̐̂͌̄̔͘͟s̠̳͖̍̐h̴̩̳̲̩̱͙̦̻̾́̒̓̓̅̅̀͢͜ ̳̱̥̇̎ͯ̌̍͋ͩ̅͡ţ̲̜͎͓̏͒͆ͅͅh̙͖͔ͥ͆̍ͤ̉̓ͪ͋̚͘͟͝e̪̎̿ͮ ̵̢̬̘͉͓͈͇̐̋̐̾̐̋ͧͨr̛̭̖̟̖͂ͨ̅͐̅̏̍ͪͬu̱̫̩̞͉͒̓̎ͬͯͅͅn̥͙̭͙͚͕̠̆̅̔͛͒̀ͮ̚̕͡

This OC....might be has a 95% chance to be Jon Gruden.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it Ocho who had some weird rear end excuse involving a McDonalds receipt or was that someone else?

Oh the slipping on a McDonalds bag thing? That was Brandon Marshall.

Ocho just ate McDonalds all the time. Like every day or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spam Musubi posted:

Most exciting game of this week?

This coming week? New Orleans/LAR seems like odds on favorite. For a certain type of masochist Chicago/Denver will be amazing.

I'm also interested to see what Minshew does against a semi-real defense in the Texans, and what the Jags D does against Watson.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1172161163599200256

More Wazzu in the league for a couple of weeks at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey TFF Chiefs fans what exactly do you do/feel when Tyreek Hill makes a big play and everyone starts to celebrate because I strongly suspect us Patriots fans are going to be in a similar situation unless more news breaks.

This can also apply to Steelers fans and Ben.

Haven't had to worry about it after the most recent case yet. But the first time around it was 'yeah he's terrible but maybe it was a one time deal and he's been clean for a while' before eventual acceptance and 'welp he's really good.'

All roads tend to lead to acceptance unless you stop watching or the player sucks on the field.

Also worth noting that like 3/4 of big Chiefs fans are all in on the 'fiancee was lying all along' thing.

e: I suppose I'm just kind of fatalistic about it, I can't change it. The new contract hopefully means the kids will be financially provided for at least. And if he's going to be playing anyway, well poo poo he's pretty good. Nothing will stop the jokes about the Chiefs from the rest of the league now, we're past that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 12, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Finally a Tom Brady column everyone some of you sickos will want to read.

How to avoid a center with swamp rear end.

Clearly if you don't already have an athletic subscription now is the time.

quote:

So how intense is Brady’s disdain for getting a little extra butter on his fingers?

“I have actually tried to train my body not to sweat,” said David Andrews, Brady’s center the past four seasons who is on injured reserve this year. “So, I would sit in the sauna and just try not to (sweat).

“It didn’t work.”

quote:

“What can you do? I mean, you’re playing in Miami when it’s 90 degrees and the humidity is 100 percent,” Woody said. “As a center, I’m like, hell, my job is hard enough. I got to snap the ball. I’ve got a 300-plus-pound man on top of me. You’re just going to have to deal with the swamp rear end.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

This is hilarious but do they not have Gold Bond up there

Later in the article they describe how Brady will grab his center's pants and stuff a towel down there and dump a bunch of baby powder in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/1172189697902370816

I'm torn between thinking Mariota must have had a really good game I didn't see (I knew Watson had a good game) and :stare: at everyone at the bottom of that list.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

colachute posted:

I’d be okay with the Bucs getting blown the gently caress out for 16 weeks next year if it means we get Lawrence or Tua and drop Jameis.

Lawrence is next year, he's a true sophomore and is stuck for another year. So Tua this year, Lawrence next year are the tanking targets.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asema posted:

Does he always use things that are easily dismissed with stats?

Yes, the only winning move is not to play here. You will not change his mind, he needs the attention.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Le'Veon Bell seems to be fine by the way in non-Kawalimus news.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

I hope minkah is able to go to a dc that knows what he is doing

Alternately I'm ok with it if the Chiefs trade for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I enjoy random trivia and this is pretty good on that front:

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/1172583934762393601

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Plus, once you run a play in a game the entire league sees it, so obviously there is no way to keep a play secret apart from never ever running it. If a good coach sees a play they like they're going to incorporate it into their gameplan.

I don't think it was a brand new concept or anything but a couple of years ago Andy Reid pulled that tight end counter shovel pass and everyone talked about how original it was. Now it's just a normal play that someone will break out now and then. Like, it's common enough now that I noticed Andy running it as a fake into something else since there was a good chance the D would bite on it.

If something works at the NFL level it's going to get copied by everyone. If something works long enough at the college level and doesn't involve your quarterback getting hit every single play it's eventually going to be copied by someone in the NFL, and if it works there...etc.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If you have some time to kill between now and whenever this is a cool thread

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1172663542513713153

Wish they hadn't numbered them, just put up 100 awesome plays, we don't need to argue about these.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Keith Atherton posted:

I’m ashamed I can’t remember but who was the dude with the spit cup on the sideline

Chad Henne.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wait a second, did Abram post something saying he's going out with a bang with a picture of the play where he almost killed Conley?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Dolphins are going to be so much fun this year

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1173102949704355840

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Does that make a difference with respect to salary or cap or anything like that? I know the Colts would retain his rights, so he can't sign with another team unless he is cut.

Seems like an academic question since we're talking Colts, they could sign Patrick Mahomes and not blink if given the chance with their space.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tough to pull off so many TDs on so few yards.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

With Drew Brees hurt, Sean Payton needs to stop being a little loving baby and do a whole game of Taysom Hill trick plays

Not even trick plays, run that BYU offense that has Hill running 40% of the time.

On second thought maybe don't since he was in college for like 7 years* since he kept getting medical redshirts.

*-only 5 after looking it up and one redshirt, but 3 4! season ending injuries

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Also, Taysom Hill is 3 years OLDER than Teddy B? How is that possible

Mormon who went to BYU for 5 years. So he did that two year church mission thing after high school and then spent 5 years in college.

e: There's a minor argument that comes up now and then that BYU being a Mormon school is a competitive advantage since so many of their recruits are two years older when they get there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 16, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173721654813515777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wonder if that would bring the Minkah asking price down a little.