Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:hmmyes:

The hero we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Barnwell podcast started a discussion on who would win a footrace between Eli Rivers and Ben. This is an important question

Eli under normal circumstances.
Rivers if he’s carried by his absurd number of children.
Ben is a rapist.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
How the gently caress has all this poo poo happened and Week 1 ended less than 24 hours ago!

EDIT: gently caress the Patriots

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah so he admitted to jacking off on her back. I uh, I don't think that's something consensual like his lawyer or whatever claimed.

Didn’t Charles Haley used to do poo poo like this in team meetings in the 90’s?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Tim Whatley posted:

Sigh I hate this poo poo. gently caress Barstool so hard.

The one thing that will unify all football fans. :hai:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mystic Stylez posted:

gently caress the Patriots

:emptyquote:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Just to add on to the whole thing about play names, everybody runs a lot of the same plays, but call them totally different things. I'm not sure if the link will go through, but there's a video with Kirk Cousins talking about a single play with Kyle Lauletta...

https://twitter.com/markbullocknfl/status/997234231117074432?lang=en

...that Lauletta's college team called "W Missile", but in the NFL, Cousin has seen called "Gator Arches", "Zebra Quick Seam", and "525 F Post". The last name jumped out to me, because I'm about 90% certain that was the name of it in Madden at one point or another, and I'm sure it goes by a half dozen other (Or more) names in other systems. The Wikipedia article on play calling is also pretty decent.

colachute posted:

Thanks, I enjoyed reading this post.

So depending on the system, does a WR only care about the part of the playcall that applies to them? Which means the QB has to remember way more information than everyone else?

This has always been my theory but I’ve never asked.

Basically, yeah. In the West Coast, for example...

"Wikipedia posted:

FB West Right Slot 372 Y Stick: "FB West Right Slot" is the formation. FB indicates that the fullback is playing out of his normal position. West Right indicates that the fullback would line up immediately to the right of, and one step back from, the tight end, who is lined up on the right. Slot indicates that the flanker, who usually plays on the same side as the tight end, but split wide, is instead lined up on the left, in the "slot" between the split end and left tackle. In "372", the "3" indicates that the quarterback will make a shorter, three-step drop rather than the standard five-step drop. The "7" is one of a numbered series of passing plays, all based around using the halfback to block on the weak side (away from the tight end). The "2" indicates a blocking scheme, giving each blocker his assignment. "Y Stick" describes the pass route to be run: the "Y" receiver (the tight end) will be the primary receiver and run a stick route: he will run forward, fading slightly towards the center of the field for six yards, and then depending on the coverage, he'll suddenly change course, breaking either back towards the quarterback or straight for the right sideline.

While it's a ton of words to spit out and potentially gently caress up, it also conveys pretty clearly to everyone on offense what they're responsibility is. A receiver only needs to catch the formation and his routes to know what he's doing. The blocking scheme and what the back is doing basically have no bearing on what their gonna do. The same is also true for something like the Air Coryell system, where you'll get a play like "Eagle Trips Right Smash 999 All-Go", where the only thing the receivers and backs care about would be "999 All-Go." If you're curious, "999 All Go" is basically DA BOMB and the play the Rams called for the touchdown at the end of Super Bowl XXXIV.

Erhardt–Perkins changes things a bit by going purely on concepts, rather than personnel groups. The Wikipedia article mentioned the "Ghost" concept, and I know it's very much a staple of the West Coast going back nearly to it's inception, but it's simply called by a different name (It's in Madden, and I'm blanking on it right now).

And those are just systems used to call plays, and really have no bearing on the style of offense being used. Erhardt-Perkins, while famous now for the Patriots using it to call plays and often do all sorts of pass-happiness with Mr. Open-Mouth-Kid-Kisser, first came to prominence in the NFL being used by the Giants in the late-80's and early-90's, a notoriously conservative, run-first, control the clock team (Friendly reminder that Belichick was there and he still has a massive boner for Mark Bavaro, as everyone should). The West Coast has been run a hundred different ways since the early 80's, with some teams involving far more audibles and wide receivers' making reads on the fly (Option routes, basically) than others, some throwing every play, some running the gently caress out of it. The Air Coryell system is normally thought of with Don Coryell's pass heavy Chargers, or the Greatest Show on Turf Rams, but it was also used by Norv Turner in Dallas (Cue 'Lead Draw' all the time), and Joe Gibbs regularly evolved it to suit his players while in Washington in the 80's and 90's (Starting off very run heavy, using a lot of 2-TE sets, then adjusting into more 3-WR pass heavy stuff later on as the team changed).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nail Rat posted:

Does anybody have the old Browns grandpa suicide comic Gendo made a billion years ago? The SAS wiki is dead and not even on wayback machine, and I desparately need it.

I’m at work now but I definitely have it on my computer at home, if no one else posts it sooner.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I'd follow him to hell and back, I would :zoid:

Nail Rat posted:

Awesome, thanks in advance if nobody else is able!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
NFL Network is replaying the very first Monday Night Football game, between the Browns and Jets in 1970, for those of you curious about the dark ages of NFL offenses.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The Browns kinda ran a pick play for a touchdown, so it’s already better than the visual diarrhea that was Super Bowl LIII.

EDIT: The Browns also have a dude with an awesome football name: Fair Hooker.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 15, 2019

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

That’s awesome.

And since I’m a dork and had to find it: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197210220kan.htm#all_player_offense

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Owns. Steve Smith did something similar his first game against Carolina.

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8esSjoLmY

:hmmyes: also awesome

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it unheard of to rearrange the divisions? the AFC East is ridiculous.

Short answer: Yes, it’d be unheard of.

The only times they’ve rearranged the divisions in any meaningful ways have involved expansion. They redid a lot of the divisions at the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, but still tried to keep the rivalries that had developed intact, which is why the core of divisions like the NFC East and AFC West remain as they are. The Bucs and Seahawks started out in alternate conferences (AFC and NFC respectively), but that was always a temporary deal for one season so they could play all the other teams in the league. After that, no team was moved to a new division until the realignment in 2002 when the league hit 32 teams and the divisions took their current forms.

The AFC East as it is now is as much due to the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills being largely incompetent at varying levels for the last 15+ years as it is for the Patriots being good cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sharknado slashfic posted:

Time to hang em up you old rapey gently caress

:emptyquote: