Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

yup. there are two other ethan coen lesbian comedies planned.

:blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

he retired or something

nope in fact they are getting back together to do a horror film

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

the models were foam with swappable heads. he painted scenes and models

professional diorama guy, respect

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

poo poo sucked so bad that im fully convinced that the brothers relationship is a George and Lennie situation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I really liked this quote from Book of the New Sun

Citadel of the Autarch posted:

"You're a materialist, like all ignorant people. But your materialism doesn't make materialism true. Don't you know that? In the final summing up, it is spirit and dream, thought and love and act that matter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i say swears online posted:

professional diorama guy, respect

he refused to teach me how to paint but i ended up doing more or less the same thing via animated gifs. funny that

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I’m beginning to see why the zoomers prefer anime.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

poo poo sucked so bad that im fully convinced that the brothers relationship is a George and Lennie situation

It's a Dark Crystal situation. Together they're a complete filmmaker but apart they can only be impossibly dour or the ultimate Quirks McGurks.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I’m beginning to see why the zoomers prefer anime.

That's a perfectly good clip from a 1999 Lucasarts point and click game.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

he refused to teach me how to paint but i ended up doing more or less the same thing via animated gifs. funny that

"c'mon, uncle, teach me! it's a dying art!"

*surrounded by dozens of PJs dioramas* "never! it'll consume your life and ruin it!! save yourself and become a CPA while there's still time!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lmao

yeah i'd believe it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why are so many renowned 20th century English authors Catholic? they're like <5% of the English (not British) population but I can name four world famous authors off the top of my head (Tolkien, GK Chesterton, Gene Wolfe, the Clockwork Orange guy [ok I forget his actual name but he counts])

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

why are so many renowned 20th century English authors Catholic? they're like <5% of the English (not British) population but I can name four world famous authors off the top of my head (Tolkien, GK Chesterton, Gene Wolfe, the Clockwork Orange guy [ok I forget his actual name but he counts])
cuz' catholic lore is bonkers and inspired a massive generation of archiveofourown fanfiction writers. also closer to the turn of the century (including many of the ones you named) it was much more common

also probably something about class, i think in england, catholics are/were more likely to be part of the upper-class which means more access to becoming famous as wealth translates to fame access (e.g. pinstagram influencers).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is this canon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

also probably something about class, i think in england, catholics are/were more likely to be part of the upper-class which means more access to becoming famous as wealth translates to fame access (e.g. pinstagram influencers).

that's a really good point and probably 85-90% of the explanation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nichael posted:

is this canon

looks like elon would have been 8 years old when good times was cancelled

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the classic era of the simpsons was Season 26, Episode 12, The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

I really liked this quote from Book of the New Sun

I'm reading the latest book in the series on my way to work which is perfect for the train because you just lose yourself in the density of it all. And there's so many times someone is giving a speech and in any other hands it would be pedantic or didactic stuff but he just writes so well about big ideas its a treat.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there's more than the four? interesting

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is warner going to shut down adult swim at some point? this article seems so extreme on warner's part:

https://www.polygon.com/pc/24113466/adult-swim-games-delisting-law-warner-bros-discovery-archiving

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

is warner going to shut down adult swim at some point? this article seems so extreme on warner's part:

https://www.polygon.com/pc/24113466/adult-swim-games-delisting-law-warner-bros-discovery-archiving

I think they already did announce AS shut down? or defacto death

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

indigi posted:

it's the correct religion and God helped them, op

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nichael posted:

they've still got some anime originals under development but once those are out yeah it's probably done for

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

Gene Wolfe is all-American

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Gene Wolfe is all-American

really?? I’m honestly shocked

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

uzumaki is real, and my friend

it's going to come out any day now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

really?? I’m honestly shocked

he is as all-American as a can of Pringles.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

he is as all-American as a can of Pringles.

after having googled him he does look like he was mushed together from dried potatoes

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bro Dad posted:

uzumaki is real, and my friend

it's going to come out any day now
colin stetson going brrrr-rrr drrt brrr-rrr-rrr brrr-rrr-rrrt waaaaaoooooo right now

just out of frame

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

indigi posted:

Because we go to good schools, read a lot, on pain of the ruler on knuckles, and tolle lege.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

after having googled him he does look like he was mushed together from dried potatoes

I would never trust a good looking fantasy writer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

He was an engineer in his day job and famously helped build the machine that makes Pringles

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

aw frig aw dang it posted:

it's the correct religion and God helped them, op

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

they've still got some anime originals under development but once those are out yeah it's probably done for

it's crazy that the modern day media landscape can be so cavalier about trashing something with provable brand recognition

i guess it's similar to them also mishandling the hbo brand with hbo max

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

warner bros is genius. decimate hbo, then destroy adult swim. winning!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Knight posted:

colin stetson going brrrr-rrr drrt brrr-rrr-rrr brrr-rrr-rrrt waaaaaoooooo right now

just out of frame

love that guy

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

He was an engineer in his day job and famously helped build the machine that makes Pringles

He was also a Korean war vet, which you can see the influence of in the 'war in Ascia' chapters of Book of the New Sun.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah I just read the chapter where the Ascian tells his story. real interesting perspective

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I love how he's just there in this shot like just another piece of furniture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm guessing Elon is Rosa Parks in this situation, because he's sitting behind the couch?