Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMA2Kc7TiO0

This is a minstrel show.

e: this is just as bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqRPUhPfho

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
The comments don't seem to be taking it too well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bro Dad posted:

uzumaki is real, and my friend

it's going to come out any day now

lol they wanted to do it accurately and artistically instead of the generic junji ito one, and now they cant afford to complete it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I do want to see Bill Burr as JFK. but everything else I’m happy to miss

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

netizen posted:

The comments don't seem to be taking it too well.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Canny as hell, boomers will love this poo poo as much as Forest Gump. Jerry’s done it again!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I've been thinking about streaming and weekly releases. Now it seems a lot of Netflix shows seem to get a prominent slot on the top of their charts for a week or two, before dropping off a cliff as everyone has more or less watched the show who was going to, yet other streamers, notably Amazon and Disney+, do weekly releases like terrestrial TV did.

I know some of the cynical takes are to keep people subscribed longer to basically make more money off them, rather than get a month and binge all the shows they missed, but does anyone find the all episodes at once thing to curb discussion and word-of-mouth propagation of good shows? I can imagine BrBa or GoT being hard to renew if it was done today in the streaming business model because they kinda went slow burn before they gained critical traction, meanwhile, and doubly for Netflix, a lot of programmes get axed before they've barely been out a week because of the weekend opening box office like take on viewing figures, rather than a longer period to assess success.

I dunno. I guess I just find myself talking less about these things with people because they all seem so ephemeral.

And that blacksploitation cartoon looks like shite in motion. Art ain't too bad, though.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/dizchris/status/1769440693389517278?s=20

reading some replies, this is apparently a Known Issue with Disney parks lmao.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I've been thinking about streaming and weekly releases. Now it seems a lot of Netflix shows seem to get a prominent slot on the top of their charts for a week or two, before dropping off a cliff as everyone has more or less watched the show who was going to, yet other streamers, notably Amazon and Disney+, do weekly releases like terrestrial TV did.

I know some of the cynical takes are to keep people subscribed longer to basically make more money off them, rather than get a month and binge all the shows they missed, but does anyone find the all episodes at once thing to curb discussion and word-of-mouth propagation of good shows? I can imagine BrBa or GoT being hard to renew if it was done today in the streaming business model because they kinda went slow burn before they gained critical traction, meanwhile, and doubly for Netflix, a lot of programmes get axed before they've barely been out a week because of the weekend opening box office like take on viewing figures, rather than a longer period to assess success.

I dunno. I guess I just find myself talking less about these things with people because they all seem so ephemeral.

oh it definitely does, and I think most corporations are aware. iirc even Netflix has mostly dropped their whole "toss a bag of 20 episodes into the server overnight" binge watch model and has been doing weekly release schedule or like broken up into 3 - 10 episode dumps for a lot of their shows recently.

Apple+ does it as well, e.g. Severance was an 9 episode show trickle-released over the span of 2-months. severance probably would have not been nearly as meme de-jour in the TV discourse sphere if it was binge-dumped

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

selec posted:

https://twitter.com/dizchris/status/1769440693389517278?s=20

reading some replies, this is apparently a Known Issue with Disney parks lmao.

its always been a thing

quote:

Caryn Reker of Jacksonville, Fla., remembers her father growing emotional while watching the Wishes fireworks show outside the ice-cream parlor on Disney World’s Main Street. When time came for her to spread his ashes, in 2006, she opted to do it in numerous spots around the area. “It’s a sweet way to giggle and remember—he’s here. . . and there. . . and a little over there. . . yep, there, too,” she wrote in an email. She returned to Disney World last week to spread the ashes of her brother, an Epcot enthusiast who died this year. Alex Perone, an actor from Saratoga Springs, N.Y., described an emotional roller coaster when he took the ashes of his mother, Sandie Perone, to Walt Disney World this past June. Immediately after spreading them in a Magic Kingdom flower bed, he went on It’s a Small World. “I was still crying. That song is playing over and over again, and there are those happy little animatronic things,” he said. “I remember thinking, ‘This is weird.’ ”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

its always been a thing

jesus loving christ

i hope this continues at a vastly accelerated pace

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My dad once told me when we were out "when I die, I want you to spread my ashes at Pat O'Brien's on Bourbon Street" and I laughed at him and he replied completely straight-faced "No, I'm serious". So I've got to come up with a strategy for dumping a bunch of ashes around a big fountain in the middle of a crowded bar at some point.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bro Dad posted:

its always been a thing

seeing a nice profitable avenue for $DIS to offer crematorium services for $50k/year: put your dead adult disney mom in this vault underneath pirates of the carribean! if you buy 2 plots get 10% off, $90k/year!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

me riding behind an impromptu memorial on Space Mountain

Elon's paid to say the hard-r on this lovely show

selec
Sep 6, 2003

my cousin wants us to catapult his body through the glass of the bass pro shop pyramid that repo’d his boat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they don't even have to repo my boat. launch me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

seeing a nice profitable avenue for $DIS to offer crematorium services for $50k/year: put your dead adult disney mom in this vault underneath pirates of the carribean! if you buy 2 plots get 10% off, $90k/year!

don't even have a flat rate, just offer to impound the ashes on premises in exchange for being the sole beneficiary of the will. there are hundreds of thousands of atomized lonely losers who would jump at the chance

i'm surprised it's not a thing already; maybe the PR would be poor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

selec posted:

my cousin wants us to catapult his body through the glass of the bass pro shop pyramid that repo’d his boat

wholly endorsing this way, though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney is basically a religion and it's extra lol that they're pretty poo poo at it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney is basically a religion and it's extra lol that they're pretty poo poo at it

The number of people I know who make yearly pilgrimages to their sloplands is shockingly high

like you could travel to a European capital city comfortably for weeks at the prices they spend for days at Mickey's plaster land of traveler's diarrhea and waiting in lines

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

all the employees are true believers now so all their endeavors over the last ~20 years are loving garbage

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1773483173801791770?t=Xqk8NbPBYLUhFBXjUTdfgQ&s=19

“In connection with our continued review of our international content strategy, during the first quarter of 2024 we made a strategic decision to focus on content with mass global appeal. As part of this, we are rationalizing original content on Paramount+, especially internationally, and improving the efficiency of our linear network programming. As a result, we have reviewed our expansive global content portfolio and are removing select content from our platforms.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It used to be that a partier hurling on you on 6th Street was the worst part of attending South by Southwest, Austin’s annual multi-festival that covers the worlds of film, music and technology. These days things are a little bit grosser; at this year’s fest the CIA was on site handing out commemorative frisbees, trying to lure in coders and founders who were attending SXSW Interactive. The idea that down the street daring new films and exciting new bands were playing while the US Army was handing out little swag bags to Silicon Valley types exposes the bitter dichotomy that has grown inside of SXSW–not because the festival is bad but because the world has changed.

Upon its founding, SXSW was a music festival, Austin’s answer to New York’s New Music Seminar. People loved it immediately. After a few years the folks behind the fest added a film and multimedia element. That multimedia element turned into SXSW Interactive, which slowly became kind of a tech world catch-all. At the time it didn’t seem so crazy, because after all the world of garage-based founders and indie film and indie rock felt spiritually connected. They were all upstarts trying to bring something new and cool into the world, operating outside the system. You have to understand there was a time, and I swear to you this is true, where tech was utopian.

The earliest innovators, while perhaps libertarian deep down, were pursuing technology and especially the Internet as a way to change the world for the better. The earliest tech guys were birthed in the glow of The Whole Earth Catalog, and I’m not drawing that connection loosely. Stewart Brand, co-founder of the Whole Earth Catalog, was involved with Ken Kesey’s Merry Pranksters and then came up with the idea for the counterculture magazine while tripping on acid. In the 1980s he co-founded the WELL, one of the earliest and most formative online communities. We used to say “information wants to be free,” and it reflected the spirit of guys like Brand, but these days it’s your data that is the most coveted resource online.

Gone is the hippie spirit that drove innovation, replaced by VCs and startups looking to rush products they can offload for big bucks. The aesthetic of the hippie still remains – you have Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey doing long and intense Vipassana meditation retreats – but it’s all in the service of making more cash. Everybody’s eating organic and seeing gurus and wearing vaguely spiritual beads but they’re all essentially Gordon Gecko in a little bit of West Coast cosplay. They traded in the suspenders for hoodies.

The change happened almost overnight; what had been a future that was all about bringing people together transformed into a privacy-destroying surveillance system. The idea that all of the information in the world would be at our fingertips became a conspiracy-minded culture that believes vaccines are killing us. And worst of all, the advancements that were supposed to create more human understanding have instead fostered a time of almost unprecedented division. While social media was supposed to uplift the people the few such examples once trotted out–like the Arab Spring–have proven largely ineffective as the entire landscape of social media became a psyop playground where troll farms and misinformation rule.

SXSW has found themselves caught in the middle of this cultural shift. In 2013 it was cool that Elon Musk was giving the Interactive Keynote; this year Twitter roundly mocked the fact that the right wing CEO showed up to a SXSW party for an Amazon Prime TV show. While Film and Music have maintained their vibe–they’re still cool and fun, even when studio films or corporate acts play–Interactive has become incredibly lame, a space for guys that still talk about NFTs and crypto.

This year was when the tension between the artistic and tech sides of SXSW snapped like a femur on the ski slope. One of the moments was when a festival bumper – a short little ad the fest will place before movies talking about other aspects of the event–sang the praises of AI; the crowd at the Paramount Theater, a premiere venue for SXSW Film, erupted into spontaneous boos, captured on video. One on-the-ground film fest attendee, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was “hilarious.” He says, “[Two] days after that they changed what played in front of movies [to make sure] it didn’t happen anymore.”. There’s a certain cultural tone deafness to running that bumper at your film festival, when the recent actors and writers strikes were partially about the encroaching threat AI poses to the world of cinema.

But the ick factor of an oblivious paean to AI, which at least potentially has artistic applications, pales in comparison to the CIA and US Army being on site, and the Army sponsoring elements of the fest (co-presenting one panel with Spin Magazine, which still exists). Now, this isn’t the first year the Army has been at SXSW but it’s like Elon Musk–the fact that it was okay in the past doesn’t make it okay now. The military industrial presence was so outrageous that 80 acts pulled out of Southby this year, including every single Irish act.

One act that didn’t pull out was Vision Video, a post-punk goth band. Lead singer and guitarist Dusty Gannon, who himself was an infantry officer in the US Army in Afghanistan (where he developed a first hand hatred of imperialism), says that the band agonized over the choice but opted to perform and donate all proceeds to Rescue International, a non-profit that helps refugees. “It basically just felt for me we’re going to lose money either way so let’s make it count for something instead of just being ‘Oh we’re not doing this,’” explains Gannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YSmVA3Z60

And they did something, taking to Instagram and other socials to denounce Southby… as well as doing it from the stage. “I think the final thing I said in our final official showcase, the last words I literally said were, ‘South by Southwest, gently caress you.’ And then we walked off the stage. So yeah, I’m assuming we will not be invited back in any official capacity.”

Is there ever going to be a world where art and technology can be friends again? When SXSW launched Interactive it seemed like a great relationship, but now the festival finds itself trapped in the sludge of what the tech world has become. There’s a sense that the tech bros aren’t looking to support the artists anymore, but rather eliminate them. To create an environment where computers create movies and TV shows and music, perhaps individually tailored to you, feeding you back the slop you already like and never challenging you, only enriching themselves. Half of the fest feels completely at odds with the other half… and maybe even winning.

And that’s how I was going to end this piece, with a sour and cynical view of the future, with the idea that SXSW could never heal this rupture and overcome the insidiousness of the tech world that welcomes the Army and the CIA. But Dusty Gannon, bless his goth heart, changed my mind. For all of his zesty gently caress yous to the establishment, Gannon has a lot of faith in the future.

“I don’t think it has to be this adversarial experience,” Gannon says. “I look at AI and I don’t actually really worry because AI can write a really cool song about being against the military industrial complex and about mental health, but that computer can’t be me. It can’t be the experiences that I’ve had in my life. Humans are storytellers and the strength of humanity is that we tell stories. I think the strength of art is that it’s all based in stories that connect us and relate us. And I think that even if AI produces something that sounds really cool or looks really cool, it is inherently spiritually bankrupt. And that undercuts the whole point of art to me.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

“In connection with our continued review of our international content strategy, during the first quarter of 2024 we made a strategic decision to focus on content with mass global appeal. As part of this, we are rationalizing original content on Paramount+, especially internationally, and improving the efficiency of our linear network programming. As a result, we have reviewed our expansive global content portfolio and are removing select content from our platforms.”
tommy moved to beitar illit and joined the IDF

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

tommy moved to beitar illit and joined the IDF

stupid babies

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cael posted:

My dad once told me when we were out "when I die, I want you to spread my ashes at Pat O'Brien's on Bourbon Street" and I laughed at him and he replied completely straight-faced "No, I'm serious". So I've got to come up with a strategy for dumping a bunch of ashes around a big fountain in the middle of a crowded bar at some point.
Dad trying to get you charged with a felony.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nichael posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1773483173801791770?t=Xqk8NbPBYLUhFBXjUTdfgQ&s=19

Ah, it appears to written in some sort of language

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i say swears online posted:

all the employees are true believers now so all their endeavors over the last ~20 years are loving garbage

Has come up a few times itt now, apparently they'd been doing all their screen testing with employees and they're starting to branch out now because they realised they'd been preaching to the choir

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Augus posted:

lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Augus posted:

let's not go that far

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m trying to think of movies to show my 9 year old nephew so I googled movies that came out in 94/95 when I was 8/9 to try to remember what level of film you can appreciate at that age. a good third the movies I saw at the time - either in theater with friends or from Blockbuster - there's no loving way I'd show them to a 9 year old, even putting aside the idea of trying to convince my sister it was appropriate. some highlights:

Clerks
Surviving the Game
New Nightmare
Pulp Fiction
Disclosure
Casino
Seven
12 Monkeys
and, of course, Showgirls

they'd just let you buy a ticket to see anything or rent anything where I was growing up (though we did have to sneak into Showgirls)

I do think it's important for a kid to consume stories/movies/music that you're "too young" for but that's on him. I'll probably just go with Bad Boys, Speed, and Tommy Boy

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

The One with Jet Li has a news segment about george bush talking about his plan for universal healthcare lol

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

indigi posted:

I’m trying to think of movies to show my 9 year old nephew so I googled movies that came out in 94/95 when I was 8/9 to try to remember what level of film you can appreciate at that age. a good third the movies I saw at the time - either in theater with friends or from Blockbuster - there's no loving way I'd show them to a 9 year old, even putting aside the idea of trying to convince my sister it was appropriate. some highlights:

Clerks
Surviving the Game
New Nightmare
Pulp Fiction
Disclosure
Casino
Seven
12 Monkeys
and, of course, Showgirls

they'd just let you buy a ticket to see anything or rent anything where I was growing up (though we did have to sneak into Showgirls)

I do think it's important for a kid to consume stories/movies/music that you're "too young" for but that's on him. I'll probably just go with Bad Boys, Speed, and Tommy Boy

I don't think kids are as interested in watching movies the way that we were. Movies were "a thing" back then and going to the theater was a big deal. I showed my nephew minecraft when he was about that age and he never went back. I try to get him interested in new movies but he just doesn't care.

All-in-all you can't show your nephew Alien and expect them to get excited about movies.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you gotta watch the movie with them. maybe share a snack.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

kids still watch movies. please stop being stupid

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is what watching The History Channel is like now. If it's not a jobs show or Ancient Aliens, it's non-stop glowing biopics about CEOs and Industrialists. When I was visiting my folks last week I had to watch a dramatization of Orville Redenbacher reverse engineering the microwave bag.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

The One with Jet Li has a news segment about george bush talking about his plan for universal healthcare lol

I need to go back and watch this as an adult lol, every detail I can remember is stupid and crazy in the best possible way.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nichael posted:

drat they removed Santiago of the seas. my kid enjoyed that one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

goth smoking cloves posted:

I need to go back and watch this as an adult lol, every detail I can remember is stupid and crazy in the best possible way.

it includes Jason Statham with a bad hairpiece trying to do an american accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is what watching The History Channel is like now. If it's not a jobs show or Ancient Aliens, it's non-stop glowing biopics about CEOs and Industrialists. When I was visiting my folks last week I had to watch a dramatization of Orville Redenbacher reverse engineering the microwave bag.

I've watched some of those cheesy brand-food-history shows. Clarence Birdseye was cool; Milton Hershey was a bitch