Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

has anyone ever told you that you're kind of a dick

Been listening to a lot of SZA myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

ooh, Ordinary Pain took a big turn halfway through. I like it

Twist ending

oh hell yeah

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Isn't She Lovely is kind of hard to separate in my mind from middle-school dances and beauty pageants but it is honestly a good song on the merits

Wasn't expecting it to have a clip of a crying baby (presumably Stevie's) at the beginning but I guess that gives you the context

Gumball Gumption posted:

So do any of you gently caress with modern R&B or just 40 year old albums when you're mad a white lady exists?

Closer to 50 now lol

Anyway I pretty much only gently caress with 50-year-old albums exclusively bc I am ancient

The last full album I bought appears to have been Alvvays' self-titled album, which is only 10 years old (and whose lineup are also majority white ladies)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBxF1avrHrc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Isn't She Lovely is kind of hard to separate in my mind from middle-school dances and beauty pageants but it is honestly a good song on the merits

yeah that's why i like to listen to older pop music as albums rather than individual tracks, I feel like it helps me hear them removed from the additional cultural context/baggage they've picked up over time

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

loquacius posted:

I am ancient

album I bought

tell me your ancient without telling me your ancient

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah that's why i like to listen to older pop music as albums rather than individual tracks, I feel like it helps me hear them removed from the additional cultural context/baggage they've picked up over time

I think that really helps with this one especially

It's very easy in our cynical modern world to think "no one could write something this saccharine and mean it" but by the time you hit it here you are 100% in the world of love

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had no exposure to funk/soul growing up in a very, very white part of Pennsylvania so seriously if anyone has any other essential listens I'd love some recommendations. It's a huge blind spot in my musical knowledge and Wonder and Al Green are basically my only footholds in right now

I'm Still in Love with You is a loving great album...

get yourself some motown & stax/volt compilations (Hitsville USA and Stax 50th Anniversay Celebration are good starters). then my faves are Curtis Mayfield's Curtis and Superfly; Isaac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul; Millie Jackson's Caught Up; Sly & The Family Stone's Fresh; Parliament's Mothership Connection.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

tell me your ancient without telling me your ancient

I buy DRM-free mp3s from ukrainian hackers for pennies on the dollar; it is Technically Legal and Spotify gets not one red cent from me sirrah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-n3Ydy7ras

answer: yes, she is!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Gumball Gumption posted:

So do any of you gently caress with modern R&B or just 40 year old albums when you're mad a white lady exists?

yes but you should ask politely.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Please listen to something modern before you die, this is the saddest and least curious pop culture thread

serpentwithfeet has one of my favorite recent releases with drat Gloves - https://youtu.be/kZvPcUsjP5I?si=NLNi5-0HlCSJezti

Saturn by SZA is another recent one that is killing and is a great song - https://youtu.be/V2G8ESoDXm8?si=pQCsjhSN-QtAx-pC

I'll just assume you're all too old to know Water. It's a good song - https://youtu.be/XoiOOiuH8iI?si=B07_SsWPIlpkC5vU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

this is the saddest and least curious pop culture thread

again, why do you have to be a dick about it? lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

just say "here's some stuff I like"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's nothing about the contemporary nature of a song that makes it somehow more valid as a source of leisure.

Do you sit outside of orchestra halls yelling at the people going in?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

getting forumbanned from d&d isn't a good enough reason to start spreading your aids all over c-spam too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tristeham posted:

get yourself some motown & stax/volt compilations (Hitsville USA and Stax 50th Anniversay Celebration are good starters). then my faves are Curtis Mayfield's Curtis and Superfly; Isaac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul; Millie Jackson's Caught Up; Sly & The Family Stone's Fresh; Parliament's Mothership Connection.

It shall be done.

Discogs says I am nearing 1000 albums now.

How did this happen to me

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tristeham posted:

getting forumbanned from d&d isn't a good enough reason to start spreading your aids all over c-spam too.

okay now it makes sense

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly I should be listening to more music while I work; lately my ADHD has been too active for me to pull it off a lot of the time and I have to just go with white noise but when it works it works

I will accept recommendations of both old and new music though and will go through the list of stuff posted ITT at some point, thanks :)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I live in the past, I only listen to old stuff

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

here's a song I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecl4I_5ZLgk

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

Honestly I should be listening to more music while I work; lately my ADHD has been too active for me to pull it off a lot of the time and I have to just go with white noise but when it works it works

I will accept recommendations of both old and new music though and will go through the list of stuff posted ITT at some point, thanks :)

Check out a style called "Gamelan"
It's hypnotic percussive stuff and I love it for focus work and sorta just zoning out staring out a window

The bamboo style is my favorite for relaxing but it's all very good

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm not respecting people who wrote all that about the fallout show, sorry.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

apology accepted, now gently caress off

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm not respecting people who wrote all that about the fallout show, sorry.

I haven't written a single fallout show post

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i listen to both old and new music, depending on which youtube dj setlist by a japanese lady in her apartment im playing at the moment

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's CSPAM dude, you're going to get razzed

loquacius posted:

I haven't written a single fallout show post

Don't tell the others but I've always respected you.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

do you think maybe you could try to be funny when you "razz" people?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i only listen to what's playing on the radio in my car. some real great music out there

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Listening to Black Man now and I'm into it, the synth bass sounds like it's out of a Genesis game (laudatory)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Don't tell the others but I've always respected you.

bosthread supremacy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We're all having a human moment here and someone is screaming from outside the window and wagging their dick on the glass

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's CSPAM dude, you're going to get razzed

I wish it wasn't like this.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr Hootington posted:

Really can't take any of you seriously on any culture topics if you can't recognize the artistic brilliance of Swift in her transition from the Midnights era to the Tortured Poets era.

been saying this 👆

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoE2UQXduA

this world is made for all men... even those who post about the Fallout TV show. Thank you, Stevie.

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What I find really fascinating about this one (and the album in general in how it deals with ignorance and bigotry) is how he could have justifiably been "gently caress you bigots" across the board but he name-drops Edison and stuff like that

Very much a conciliatory/open door approach and it warms the coldest parts of my heart

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

bosthread supremacy

Just realized this is it. I'm just trying to send you some music I think you would like in the local dialect and it's not going well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had no exposure to funk/soul growing up in a very, very white part of Pennsylvania so seriously if anyone has any other essential listens I'd love some recommendations. It's a huge blind spot in my musical knowledge and Wonder and Al Green are basically my only footholds in right now

isley brothers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol this is like a billion times better than the taytay album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Tehlehr...