Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sam Cooke if that is one of the blind spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Taylyor Swyft

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Somebody rec'd Live at the Harlem Square Club in the Bosthread a few years back and I agree it is a loving banger album

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hell yes... This voice is heavenly

I guess maybe I missed out on "pretty" music in general.
I was deep into industrial and prog and later folk and blues but never really hit a pure singer stage.

It is time for the era of the vocalist

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

detour but I love listening to this song when I get out of work and feeling like it's playing over the opening credits of my 70's Detective Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YS7sWCG_ZE

25 seconds in is when you slide across the car's hood and title comes up over a freeze frame

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

So do any of you gently caress with modern R&B or just 40 year old albums when you're mad a white lady exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtxdv_SVvSY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As is also a great song but confession I skipped If It's Magic. Slow harp song = very much not my thing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Death Becomes Her / DarkMan double feature - Theme: Hollywood'll Kill Ya

I saw Death Becomes Her in a packed theater after a drag show a few months back and it ruled, really haven’t seen that movie til you see it with a screaming drunk audience of drag queens

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had no exposure to funk/soul growing up in a very, very white part of Pennsylvania so seriously if anyone has any other essential listens I'd love some recommendations. It's a huge blind spot in my musical knowledge and Wonder and Al Green are basically my only footholds in right now

Speaking as someone in basically the same boat (the whitest possible small town in Ohio in my case) I'll throw Cameo on the recommendations pile. CHIC too. (If there's a firm dividing line between funk, soul, and disco, I don't know what it is and I don't care). Good Times is an obvious choice, but it's also a serious contender for my favorite song.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I saw Death Becomes Her in a packed theater after a drag show a few months back and it ruled

that sounds like basically the perfect atmosphere for it lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I had no exposure to funk/soul growing up in a very, very white part of Pennsylvania so seriously if anyone has any other essential listens I'd love some recommendations. It's a huge blind spot in my musical knowledge and Wonder and Al Green are basically my only footholds in right now

2 of my faves

also can't go wrong with any marvin gaye on his what's goin on --> here my dear run, that's a good starting spot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Isaac Hayes was a Scientologist right

When did that happen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They got Beck, too

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hell yes... This voice is heavenly

I guess maybe I missed out on "pretty" music in general.
I was deep into industrial and prog and later folk and blues but never really hit a pure singer stage.

It is time for the era of the vocalist

In that case I'd also recommend Otis Redding and Bobby Womack. Frank Ocean too. Stuff like The Ronettes are fun and great singers, a little boring but important history. Be my Baby is a fun song.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gumball Gumption posted:

In that case I'd also recommend Otis Redding and Bobby Womack. Frank Ocean too. Stuff like The Ronettes are fun and great singers, a little boring but important history. Be my Baby is a fun song.

just like ronnie says

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SxlD74hvRk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

Isaac Hayes was a Scientologist right

When did that happen

quote:

Hayes took his first Scientology course in 1993,[52] later contributing endorsement blurbs for many Scientology books over the ensuing years. In 1996, Hayes began hosting The Isaac Hayes and Friends Radio Show on WRKS in New York City. While there, Hayes became a client of the vegan raw food chef Elijah Joy and his company Organic Soul Inc. Hayes also appears in the Scientology film Orientation. In 1998, Hayes and fellow Scientologist entertainers Anne Archer, Chick Corea and Haywood Nelson attended the 30th anniversary of Freedom Magazine, the Church of Scientology's self-described investigative news journal, at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, to honor eleven activists.[53] In 2001, Hayes and Doug E. Fresh, another Scientologist musician, recorded a Scientology-inspired album called The Joy Of Creating – The Golden Era Musicians And Friends Play L. Ron Hubbard.[54]

who cares tho hot buttered soul is amazing and he's got a few other great albums

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Frank Ocean too.

when i was teaching in nigeria in 2012 an eight-year-old told me her favorite singer was frank ocean and i had to look up who he was

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Scientology was very good for your career from like 85-2000

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lol this is like a billion times better than the taytay album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1Onm0SteU

I like Valerie June

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

post the Taylor Swift dancing tweet “THIS GIRL KNOWS HOW TO DANCE” and it’s just Taylor convulsing

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

being mad about taylor swift on the internet

hi welcome to the POP CULTURE thread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remembering the time Hoot said he was so upset by me talking poo poo about Taylor Swift's private jet that he decided to branch out into non-CSPAM subforums and then started getting redtexts and probes for pissing everyone off there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Please go on

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

theflyingexecutive posted:

that 99% figure is just as trash pop science as "people only use 10% of their brains"

wait are you telling me that luc besson developed lucy off of an entirely nonfactual premise??? i wonder what other movies hes made based on entirely nonfactual premises

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Getting reported to HR for listening to Barry White at work

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

After finishing the new dual swift album I've been running it back on double speed so I can relisten to it twice as fast. Really absorb what she is trying to express to us.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

After finishing the new dual swift album I've been running it back on double speed so I can relisten to it twice as fast. Really absorb what she is trying to express to us.

That Matt Healy is really weird and obsessed with being a dead poet. It's not that complicated, I got it in the first listen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Imagining what the new Taylor Swift album sounds like so that I can hate women here in the CSPAM pop culture thread

This is the way

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

That Matt Healy is really weird and obsessed with being a dead poet. It's not that complicated, I got it in the first listen

There are 30 other songs. 1 is about hoe much of a bitch Kim Kardashian is and another is about how getting woke ruined some poo poo for her

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr Hootington posted:

There are 30 other songs. 1 is about hoe much of a bitch Kim Kardashian is and another is about how getting woke ruined some poo poo for her

just like me fr

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gonna be listening good here

all this for less than the price of a new video game

I realize Ruby is not anything anyone recommended but it's on my wantlist and the seller has it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

josh04 posted:

just like me fr

Not so fast josh04. In the song "The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived" she has the lyrics "Black and White JLA, 4 hours of my life wasted away"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr Hootington posted:

Not so fast josh04. In the song "The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived" she has the lyrics "Black and White JLA, 4 hours of my life wasted away"

this, and the whole song are a reference to larry

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

So do any of you gently caress with modern R&B or just 40 year old albums when you're mad a white lady exists?

i love new music buddy. I like Amaare, Sudan Archives, Yazmin Lacy, Scone Cash Players, Carlton Jamal Smith, and more that im forgetting

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr Hootington posted:

gently caress. gently caress!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

whoa

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

White Ladies should be seen and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i thought we were supposed to hate white women? when did this change?