Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nichael posted:

this seems like good news?
yeah, the company has a good rep https://global-tetrahedron.com/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the lotr movies fuckin own

the last time i rmember seeing one of the lotr movies was at a dive bar as i was getting more and more drunk

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The extended edition of Fellowship rules, really makes the world feel bigger.

The other two? Nah, they got it right with the theatrical. Gimli should not say the phrase "nervous system". Shame to lose Saruman's death, though.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the extended editions are great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the milk machine posted:

I rewatched the LOTR extended editions a month or so ago after not having seen them since they came out 20 years ago or whatever

I was expecting worse but they largely hold up, great flicks

it's kind of interesting to watch those and see how jackson took that success and decided to learn all the wrong lessons for the hobbit movies

Tbf I think everyone working on the hobbit knew it was a bad idea and didn't care as long as they got paid

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kazzah posted:

The extended edition of Fellowship rules, really makes the world feel bigger.

The other two? Nah, they got it right with the theatrical. Gimli should not say the phrase "nervous system". Shame to lose Saruman's death, though.

Yeah there's a few dumb scenes here and there, and they do bog down the already slow pacing, but there's some really good poo poo in there too so I'll keep eating that garbage

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

StashAugustine posted:

Tbf I think everyone working on the hobbit knew it was a bad idea and didn't care as long as they got paid

yeah true, though i'm not sure if that applies to jackson or not. maybe

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah there's a few dumb scenes here and there, and they do bog down the already slow pacing, but there's some really good poo poo in there too so I'll keep eating that garbage

absolutely

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pretty sure the original FILM release had higher resolution than 4k lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

better...simply because i said so

This really should be the only thing I post

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

hmm how about a hobbit trilogy rerelease with an uncapped framerate

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the opening sequence of fellowship fucks so hard it's insane

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also are we talking about baby reindeer yet?

because I'm partway through episode 2 and jesus CHRIST

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Two towers extended is practically required because the theatrical cut removes the scene that sets up the orc race war later in the film. Without it the theatrical version has a massive continuity error that made me go “what the hell is going on?” back in 2002.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fellowship and two towers are both fantastic. probably more than a decade since i've seen either but i've seen them a dozen times each and do all the moves alongside the main character, frodo baggins

i had been super into the books as a kid and tracked the filming of the trilogy and was at each movie opening night. and then i never watched rotk after december 17th, 2003 lol. maybe it's a little bloated, or isn't as fun or funny? first and second acts are usually better than the third anyway in most media to me

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
It has been a very long while so kinda talking out of my rear end here. But imo the third one doesn't really capture the book very well. the third book ties into the depths of tolkien's own struggles with war trauma and his religious practice, which is always a theme with frodo. but it reaches a head there, and the movie doesn't really have a feel for that. Which isn't necessarily a big problem but I don't think that the rest of the plot points in the third are particularly outstanding

I think the first movie captures the feel of tolkien the best and the second is fun adventure movie type stuff, with a big war setpiece that works really well.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Apr 26, 2024

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

they were the greatest blockbusters of the decade. nothing else even comes close

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

they were the greatest blockbusters of the decade. nothing else even comes close

the Harry Potter series was more successful at the box office

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they were mediocre though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i only saw one. it involves stopping time, i think it's the third one. it was mediocre

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

other than the last lotr i never seen any, but I trust the masses

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yes. and he is bad at coming up with names.

the dude who helps the heroes land is named lando

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

galagazombie posted:

Two towers extended is practically required because the theatrical cut removes the scene that sets up the orc race war later in the film. Without it the theatrical version has a massive continuity error that made me go “what the hell is going on?” back in 2002.
TT extended has some kinda pointless scenes but yes it does have some important ones that shouldn't have been cut.

Fellowship extended is almost mandatory and very good. Return is probably the weakest and a lot of the extended stuff is clearly underbaked and cut for a reason, I think that one is a pretty easy extended-cut skip though I do like the Theoden ones and a few others

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Apr 26, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

other than the last lotr i never seen any, but I trust the masses

The masses are fte

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit ftw.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Kazzah posted:

Shame to lose Saruman's death, though.

They really should not have removed that. It doesn't make any sense why they took that out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

first and second acts are usually better than the third anyway in most media to me
'tis controversial to state but I like the third Indiana Jones the most. i also really liked return of the jedi the most as a kid but as an adult it's definitely not nearly as good and the worst. thor ragnarok is also by far way out of the league of the previous 2 acts, like not even remotely close comparison. I also like Die Hard 3 way more than 2 and a hairline better than 1. depending on if you count the clint eastwood fistfull of dollars trilogy as 3 parts, good, the bad and the ugly is the best one. although it's a long series, the third alfonso cuaron Harry Potter is easily the best one too.

e: i'd probably say that the second acts are often the weakest but of course varies a lot

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xaris posted:

'tis controversial to state but I like the third Indiana Jones the most. i also really liked return of the jedi the most as a kid but as an adult it's definitely not nearly as good and the worst. thor ragnarok is also by far way out of the league of the previous 2 acts, like not even remotely close comparison. I also like Die Hard 3 way more than 2 and a hairline better than 1. depending on if you count the clint eastwood fistfull of dollars trilogy as 3 parts, good, the bad and the ugly is the best one. although it's a long series, the third alfonso cuaron Harry Potter is easily the best one too.

e: i'd probably say that the second acts are often the weakest but of course varies a lot

none of these besides Star Wars are cases where you can call each movie an act of a story.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

'tis controversial to state but I like the third Indiana Jones the most.
it's a little different than lotr's full narrative arc, whereas last crusade is self-contained

and also my favorite movie of all time. I never rewatch movies but I'll always make time for last crusade once a year

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

hmm how about a hobbit trilogy rerelease with an uncapped framerate

oh god I saw the first one in 3D at 60fps and it made my head hurt

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the best star wars movie was battle for endor. I will not be taking questions at this time

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
love lies bleeding 👍

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
If we have to talk about Tolkein, Fellowship was a great adaptation, Two Towers was a sad bastardization, and whoever should have been responsible for holding Jackson's leash on Return should have been dealt with as a deserter in the face of the enemy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Spider-Man 1 & 2 are better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They really should not have removed that. It doesn't make any sense why they took that out.

I mean, in the books he doesn't die there and in fact comes back later

The Scouring of the Shire is of course a pretty ambitious epilogue for what would turn out to already be a pretty bloated movie, but maybe they just wanted to keep the option of doing it open? Having him die beforehand would be pretty irreversible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dream blunt rotation is still Merry / Pippin / Gandalf / Bilbo / Gimli

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

I mean, in the books he doesn't die there and in fact comes back later

The Scouring of the Shire is of course a pretty ambitious epilogue for what would turn out to already be a pretty bloated movie, but maybe they just wanted to keep the option of doing it open? Having him die beforehand would be pretty irreversible
The Scouring of the Shire should have been its own trilogy.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

gently caress Star Wars, Star Trek, lord of the rings, marvel, and dc. real cinema only.
bakshi

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

New Zealand destroyed its labor laws to allow the Hobbit shoot and the actors who played the not-Thorin or Kili dwarfs weren't even invited to the premiere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My favorite part of The Last Jedi is that by the film's own logic hot blooded pilot guy was right about everything and space admiral and Leia would have gotten everyone killed because they were dumb

Also Finn went from a competent deuteragonist with a compelling backstory to a bumbling moron who nearly wrecks the entire resistance over illegal spaceship parking, probably because Rian is a giant racist or maybe just a bad writer

Most of the plot revolves around everyone being incredibly incompetent