Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Spergin Morlock posted:

did you pay money for it? lol

i bought it at a thrift book store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
can find lots of cool things at your local goodwill

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gonna open a store, call it Badwill. I’ll be a prick to everyone.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Majorian posted:

could also go with Goodwon't

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

could also go with Goodwon't

lol I’ll do that after the first one goes under

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man the practical costume effects in Pacific Rim are so cool. the liquid drain down the clear helmets do is yet unexplained but very spooky.

lots of good character actors in this one too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

TNG vs Jason...

A quick fight favoring the Enterprise crew, but Worf somehow gets owned anyway.

Speaking of Chucky chat, thinking now about how Voyager should've made Brad Dourif a regular.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Majorian posted:

Cool. Gonna drop off all my cursed artifacts there that I don't need anymore.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Cool. Gonna drop off all my cursed artifacts there that I don't need anymore.

That’s such a good idea.:stare:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DS9 had a few horror movie episodes. There's the one where Garak goes crazy, and then the one where Odo goes crazy. And the one where Keiko gets possessed by a demon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a second I thought that was Major Payne, starring Martin Lawrence. Man, that's a crossover I'd like to see. They'd probably end up getting along even as they try their hardest to kill each other.

Actually sounds like they realised they were onto something with a slasher killer who's actually at a physical disadvantage rather than near-omnipotence.

Major Payne starred Damon Wayans

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is pretty much exactly it yeah, they tried to gently caress Don Mancini over hard. but now he has the tv show so all is right.

Hell yeah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I have the novelization of "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" for the same reason lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i read the novelization of megaman 2

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I read the Resident Evil books in jr high, and the Episode III novelization in high school which famously has a more competent fleshing out of plot and motivation than the movie

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I read the novelisation of the super Mario bros movie. still haven’t seen it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had the comic book novelization of Batman Forever as a kid

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I read the novelization of StarCraft and StarCraft: Broodwar.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do they still make those, like, is some 12-year-old leafing through a cheap paperback right now containing a literary version of Avengers Infinity War

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But if course the best movie novelization was when Michael Criten wrote about my favorite movie as a kid: Jurassic Park.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Do they still make those, like, is some 12-year-old leafing through a cheap paperback right now containing a literary version of Avengers Infinity War

I think so but it's probably all AI generated and straight to Kindle now

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

I read the novelization of StarCraft and StarCraft: Broodwar.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is the proper place to buy movie novelizations, thank you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i read the novelizations of all three star wars movies and they were surprisingly horny

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

speaking of horny, my college roommate got me God Hates Us All, the novelization of the book David Duchovny wrote in Californication. It was awful. I don't remember much, but I remember frequent errors, corny prose and feeling like it was a ripoff of Catcher in the Rye but with raunchy sex scenes.

one of the Dexter books gets real weird with it, canonically making Dexter's Dark Passenger the biblical Moloch, who has been body hopping through the ages and compelling people to do evil

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

KirbyKhan posted:

But if course the best movie novelization was when Michael Criten wrote about my favorite movie as a kid: Jurassic Park.

it's wild that Steven loving Spielberg had to go to him and ask for a sequel so he could make another movie, when now you can just slap any IP on anything and no one gives a poo poo

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I watched the 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy film and I have to rate it actually not too bad and worthwhile to watch. Minimal "that just happened" so the emotional moments hang on for longer, thus making the intentionally funny parts work better in contrast, and the bad guy really works as a believable completely evil psychopath.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mid century novelizations can be fantastic. I suppose because there was no home video then? The novelizations of My Fair Lady and Gigi have notes on the adapted texts by Shaw and Colette, for example, and adapt the book of the stage musicals, the scene composition of the film versions, find creative ways to describe motivation and characterization that is otherwise sung through in the libretto etc.

I would imagine the quality of novelizations cratered after VHS?

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Civil War was fun. I went in totally blind and read it as largely a satire: gritty war journalism film BUT in the most moronic and apolitical country in world history. At no point in the movie do we get any sense that any average person would have reason to particularly side with one faction or the other, there’s no real sense that anything is really at stake ideologically. And it’s funny how much that is making people melt down considering, hello, that’s the state of the U.S. right now? Imagining a U.S. civil war as anything but a bunch of broadly centrist establishment types turning the guns of empire on each other is outlandish.

Also cool that the NYTs of the world think it’s an ode to the power and trauma of war journalists when all the movie’s war journalists are portrayed as huge morons with absolutely no coherent theory or understanding of the conflict they cover, it’s never suggested that their work makes a difference in the world in any way, they are literally just egotistical freaks running around chasing the libidinal thrill of being in a war zone.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Majorian posted:

Badwill is where u have to pay to drop off unwanted poo poo then they give it away for free

The real good stuff they put online and pay you to take it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Whoolighams posted:

it's wild that Steven loving Spielberg had to go to him and ask for a sequel so he could make another movie, when now you can just slap any IP on anything and no one gives a poo poo

Yeah I know right. There was so much more scaffolding and supporting documentation for media back then.

QUEER FRASIER posted:

Civil War was fun. I went in totally blind and read it as largely a satire: gritty war journalism film BUT in the most moronic and apolitical country in world history. At no point in the movie do we get any sense that any average person would have reason to particularly side with one faction or the other, there’s no real sense that anything is really at stake ideologically. And it’s funny how much that is making people melt down considering, hello, that’s the state of the U.S. right now? Imagining a U.S. civil war as anything but a bunch of broadly centrist establishment types turning the guns of empire on each other is outlandish.

Also cool that the NYTs of the world think it’s an ode to the power and trauma of war journalists when all the movie’s war journalists are portrayed as huge morons with absolutely no coherent theory or understanding of the conflict they cover, it’s never suggested that their work makes a difference in the world in any way, they are literally just egotistical freaks running around chasing the libidinal thrill of being in a war zone.

A good War Journalism media was the mini-series Generation Kill. That very much put the journo embed person firmly in their place as the least important person in the whole conflict.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I had "young adult" novelizations of X-Files episodes and a bunch of ones about the TNG crew when they were in the academy. Geordi won a CTF match!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

yes. there are entire fiction books about Fortnite.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yes. there are entire fiction books about Fortnite.

the kid i do volunteer work with knows so goddamned much about Minecraft lore lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

I watched the 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy film and I have to rate it actually not too bad and worthwhile to watch. Minimal "that just happened" so the emotional moments hang on for longer, thus making the intentionally funny parts work better in contrast, and the bad guy really works as a believable completely evil psychopath.

yeah this was a victim of the Marvel backlash around here. I thought it was a really good movie about raccoons taking revenge on mean scientists!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

it wasn't bad like most marvel movies, just kinda boring and low energy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
In general I like Gunn's stuff. He's not one of my favorite directors, but I've never been bored watching his movies!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i fell asleep during both suicide squad and guardians 3

then again those were the last superhero movies I watched so maybe im just a hater

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked guardians of the galaxy 2 because it had Kurt Russell being weirdly obsessed with the song Brandy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Augus posted:

I liked guardians of the galaxy 2 because it had Kurt Russell being weirdly obsessed with the song Brandy

That was very good casting