Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The double sized LP is only $25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Really can't take any of you seriously on any culture topics if you can't recognize the artistic brilliance of Swift in her transition from the Midnights era to the Tortured Poets era.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgHlecTSEA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you shouldn't take anyone seriously on cultural topics anyway, they're not serious topics

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Culture is as fake as philosophy
and medicine
and roads

Mr Hootington posted:

The double sized LP is only $25

Where are you seeing it for $25? That'd be drat near philanthropic on a new release actually
All I see are the various specialty pressings for ~$40

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Really it shouldn't have shocked me that many of you can't recognize or experience actual art. Computer engineers always seem to have this defect. It has to be why those "AIs" were made and the computer engineers praise and use them to shovel out all that anti-life. They wish to feel like normal people feel.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anyways, I also watched Death Becomes Her last night because it started autoplaying after Braindead/DeadAlive. Not bad, some good visual gags with Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn getting increasingly hosed up throughout the movie and a Perfect Ending.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"Do you remember where you parked the car?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Really it shouldn't have shocked me that many of you can't recognize or experience actual art. Computer engineers always seem to have this defect. It has to be why those "AIs" were made and the computer engineers praise and use them to shovel out all that anti-life. They wish to feel like normal people feel.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

being mad about taylor swift on the internet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuZg3RySOb8

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here loquacius listen
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nHp0eyey7jk72rkbes6rVYFLohYBEkFFQ&si=z3lGFQMs7bMrZVYH
Maybe you will become a real boy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_or-lQ8k4

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

embed fail

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

taylor is cool but mean will always be her best song

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

listen to real music by real artists

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
can't believe no one wants to talk about a movie from 1992 instead of arguing about taylor swift smdh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Death Becomes Her / DarkMan double feature - Theme: Hollywood'll Kill Ya

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

yep she rules

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anyways, I also watched Death Becomes Her last night because it started autoplaying after Braindead/DeadAlive. Not bad, some good visual gags with Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn getting increasingly hosed up throughout the movie and a Perfect Ending.

fun film

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Death Becomes Her / DarkMan double feature - Theme: Hollywood'll Kill Ya

Throw in "Society" and you've got yourself a triple feature body horror/evils of the upper class thing going

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Meryl throwing the broken shovel handle through the hole in Goldie's abdomen, being excited that she made the shot, then realizing it meant she didn't hit her - loving such a good joke that goes by in like half a second of screen time

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I saw her perform about a month ago, good stuff.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

10 kills on the board right now, just took out tomato town

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I think instead I'm gonna listen all the way through Songs in the Key of Life. I didn't know that context behind it and Sir Duke and I Wish are both great songs so my interest is piqued

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Stevie > Swifty

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

Stevie > Swifty

disagreeing is both racist AND ableist, which beats misogynist

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

No thanks, I think instead I'm gonna listen all the way through Songs in the Key of Life. I didn't know that context behind it and Sir Duke and I Wish are both great songs so my interest is piqued

Some interesting facts while you're listening

The strings on Village Ghetto Land and Pastime Paradise are entirely synthesizer. I couldn't believe it either but Wonder was apparently a huge early adopter of any sort of studio technology and those were played on the just released Yamaha GX-1

The first disc is drat near perfect, the second has a track or two I'd cut but "Black Man" and "As" are stand-outs... and "Isn't She Lovely" is maybe a little cheesy and overplayed to modern ears but it's also a very sincere song about a new father doting on his daughter

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

loquacius posted:

Wow that is interesting!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Wow that is interesting!

Thanks! I tend to like Stevie Wonder's fast songs a lot more than his slow ones but I still probably owe it to myself to do more full-album listens

So far I'm not sure if Love's In Need Of Love Today really needed to be seven minutes long but it's still catchy, and Have A Talk With God is super weird (laudatory) (I love weird poo poo)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Please go on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He spent over 2 years recording and working on the album. It includes the work of over 100 musicians and collaborators

Each side of the LP is right around 20 minutes long (as long as an LP can be without suffering from audio quality degradation, because you have to cut the grooves smaller to add more music otherwise and it starts to sound shittier the more you try to cram on) so there's not a single wasted loving second, and the release includes a 7 inch EP for the fun of it

The amount of care and consideration that went into creating it is undeniable and many musicians like Elton John and Michael Jackson (and... Kanye) consider it one of the best albums ever made

in spite of the many many contributors, the bass player Nathan Watts is among the only people apart from Wonder that appears on all the tracks, because he loving rules. Listen to that bass in "I Wish" (and recognize the sample in Will Smith's Wild Wild West)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Listening now. wow we're all listening to Stevie Wonder's Songs In the Key Of Life at the same time. What a beautiful time to be alive.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Please go on

for you, anything

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The strings on Village Ghetto Land and Pastime Paradise are entirely synthesizer. I couldn't believe it either but Wonder was apparently a huge early adopter of any sort of studio technology and those were played on the just released Yamaha GX-1

Listening to Village Ghetto Land rn and I can definitely tell this is synthesized but it's still pretty well done especially for 1976. Could be in a recent Dragon Quest soundtrack

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Listening now. wow we're all listening to Stevie Wonder's Songs In the Key Of Life at the same time. What a beautiful time to be alive.

joining digital hands in a digital circle

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wow. Any other info?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Imagining what the new Taylor Swift album sounds like so that I can hate women here in the CSPAM pop culture thread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Wow. Any other info?

Gotta be patient, the music is going at a rate of 1 second per second

Contusion is an interesting offering to be coming from Stevie Wonder as it's basically a prog-rock instrumental. I feel like it'd fit in on a Boston or Yes album

Sir Duke is of course a classic

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZYWSfiYbM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just finished this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQVeCxtuP14